PDA

View Full Version : Predictions : World Tour Finals at London

patrick
11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
This contest is temporarily closed to new participants. If you participated in the contest since January 1,2010 or you signed up on or before Sunday December 24,2011, you are eligible to participate.

We have one event to predict this week. The ATP is playing their last event of the season in London.

London : http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2012/brackets/110512ATPLONDON.htmWill be available once prediction scores week of 102912 are done

Here's how the World Tour Finals works. We pick all fifteen singles matches. Also, we predict the doubles winners only. The players compete against each player in their group. The two players with the best record in each group are the semifinalists (so it helps to be familiar with tiebreak scenarios). But remember, you must specify the four semifinalists based on your predicted round robin results.

All match predictions--all the way up to the final--must be made before the scheduled start of play Monday, November 5 at noon local(7 AM USA EST - 4 AM USA PST).

The singles scores will count toward your ATP scores. Correct doubles predictions will count toward your Bonus scores.

Point structure for London :

2 points for each correct RR match
4 points for each correct semifinalist
6 points for each correct finalist
8 points for the winners (singles and doubles)

We also want to remind our contestants who qualified for the Race to London contest that their singles predictions will decide the medals for that contest. Qualifiers and alternates are listed below:

1. Evil_Juju
2. Martini4me
3. Omegadoom
4. Charlie02123
5. FEBravo
6. Miles
7. 3mlm
8. Drop-shot

Alternates
1. PeterSkan
2. Garp6
3. Patrick

Garp6 and Patrick are tied for the last alternate spot

PICKS:

After the deadlines pass, you will be able to find everyone's picks at:
http://www.talkabouttennis.com/contests/pc2012/results/110512allpicks.htm

Charlie02123
11-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Bump? I have all my picks done and I'm about to start drinking heavily. :p

patrick
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM

It is now safe to officially pick for London. You can drink heavier after you post your picks.

evil_juju
11-04-2012, 06:44 PM

Already doing that. Then I'll make my picks!!

Charlie02123
11-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Is it glitching like crazy for anyone? I've now tried it three times and every time the email confirmation says all the RR picks are blank and the SF are different.

Charlie02123
11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Tried a fourth time. Same exact glitchy incorrect scores.

kandi
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Is it glitching like crazy for anyone? I've now tried it three times and every time the email confirmation says all the RR picks are blank and the SF are different.

eeeewwwww = same with my picks! NOT the ones I picked!

ptmcmahon
11-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Blank round robin...wrong semifinalists, no finalists, and wrong winner when I submit.

Drop-shot
11-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm getting the same.

Drop-shot
11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I have no idea what could be going wrong, but being quite late where Patrick lives it might not be fixed before the deadline.

If you should continue to get erroneous mail confirmations PM your picks to Patrick and I and we'll see if we can fill in the draws later on. Still, please wait until the last moment so as to not flood the inbox with unnecessary PMs since it might get fixed later on.

thanks!

jadesa
11-04-2012, 08:33 PM
I never check my confirmation email, but this is kind of fun.

Apparently mine says someone is really going to rock this tournament because he is playing one semi-final against himself and and then yet another semi-final. Thankfully, since he gets 3 bites at the apple he does walk away the victor.

kandi
11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Well I am going to bed now - MAYBE I'll be up before 4AM here on the West Coast.

patrick
11-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Please continue to make your picks like normal as I do see all picks. Problem at the moment is on the e-mail confirmation at first glance. Will keep an eye on this all week.

evil_juju
11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
My confirmation just had my semis and finalist. I have no time to email the rest to anyone....

evil_juju
11-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Please continue to make your picks like normal as I do see all picks. Problem at the moment is on the e-mail confirmation at first glance. Will keep an eye on this all week.

Thanks!!!!

FEBravo
11-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Whatever it was, it must be fixed now because my confirmation email showed my picks correctly.

patrick
11-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Whatever it was, it must be fixed now because my confirmation email showed my picks correctly.

Thanks!

James7
11-05-2012, 05:01 AM
Eh... :(

shtexas
11-05-2012, 08:55 AM
My email was a mess. No early picks listed, Novak had three of my semifinal spots, etc.

patrick
11-05-2012, 10:12 AM
My email was a mess. No early picks listed, Novak had three of my semifinal spots, etc.

All of our picks had Djokovic taking 3 slots. Despite the e-mail issues, I can see where the picks have been recorded so everything should process like normal.

shtexas
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
All of our picks had Djokovic taking 3 slots. Despite the e-mail issues, I can see where the picks have been recorded so everything should process like normall.

Thanks.

(not that it matters ever since I forgot to make Us Open picks)

Drop-shot
11-05-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, what Patrick said. Picks went through ok despite the wacky mails.

Drop-shot
11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Picks are up for viewing. Let us know if something is wrong.

JTContinental
11-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Crap, I did such a good job all year of predicting, and forgot this one.

ptmcmahon
11-05-2012, 01:49 PM
All of our picks had Djokovic taking 3 slots. Despite the e-mail issues, I can see where the picks have been recorded so everything should process like normal.

Not true...I had Mluitple Murrays in the semis, but only one made the final. ;)

Drop-shot
11-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Tomorrow's match of Ferrer - Delpo is very important for the 8 competing. 4 have Ferrer, 4 have Delpo.

Charlie02123
11-05-2012, 03:03 PM
1. Evil_Juju
2. Martini4me
3. Omegadoom
4. Charlie02123
5. FEBravo
6. Miles
7. 3mlm
8. Drop-shot
Of the eight TAT medal-brawlers I was the only one who picked Federer to win. All others picked Djokovic.

Of all the Djokovic pickers, three had Federer as the finalist: Drop, FEBravo, and Omegadoom.

Four had Murray as the finalist: Evil_Juju, Martini, Miles, and 3mlm.

It's an even 4/4 split on Ferrer or Del Potro in the semis. Everybody picked Fed and Djokovic in the semis. Everyone but me picked Murray in the semis. I went with Berdych and I'm already wrong.

ptmcmahon
11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Surprised 7/8 of you picked Djokovic after last week's performance...not that it meant anything for reals probably. Still I didn't even give him a semifinal.

ptmcmahon
11-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Then again looking at my picks...they're definitely unique! Two round robin games I was the ONLY one to pick the "underdog", I'm the only one with Tsonga in the semis, one of two without Djokovic in semis, and one of two with Del Potro in final.

ptmcmahon
11-08-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm smelling a last place coming...would be a fitting way to end this year!

3mlm
11-08-2012, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=I went with Berdych and I'm already wrong.[/QUOTE]

Not yet. Of the possible 10 semifinal qualifying scenarios for Group A, Berdych reaches the semifinals in 4 and wins the group in 2. Not as good as Djokovic making the semis in 9 of the scenarios and winning in 7 or Murray making the semis in 6 but winning only in 1. Even Tsonga can make the semis if Djokovic defeats Berdych in 2 sets and Tsonga defeats Murray in 2.

Charlie02123
11-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Of the eight TAT medal-brawlers I was the only one who picked Federer to win. All others picked Djokovic.

Of all the Djokovic pickers, three had Federer as the finalist: Drop, FEBravo, and Omegadoom.

Four had Murray as the finalist: Evil_Juju, Martini, Miles, and 3mlm.

It's an even 4/4 split on Ferrer or Del Potro in the semis. Everybody picked Fed and Djokovic in the semis. Everyone but me picked Murray in the semis. I went with Berdych and I'm already wrong.
At first glance, it would appear that if Djokovic wins tomorrow, the medalists will be Drop, FEBravo, and Omegadoom for getting the winner and runner up correct. If Federer wins I assume the medalists are me and two of the three I just listed.

Charlie02123
11-11-2012, 04:36 PM
At first glance, it would appear that if Djokovic wins tomorrow, the medalists will be Drop, FEBravo, and Omegadoom for getting the winner and runner up correct. If Federer wins I assume the medalists are me and two of the three I just listed.
Looks like Drop and Omega had Del Potro as the semifinalist, while FEBravo had Ferrer.

I'm thinking Drop and Omega will get medals no matter what happens tomorrow.

I'm also not even sure I medal if Federer wins because I'm the only person to get two SF picks wrong.

Edit: I looked over the picks. It's interesting because so many choices were agreed on by all 8 contenders. It looks like Drop, Omega, and I will tie for 1st if Federer wins. If Djokovic wins then Drop and Omega tie for first with FEBravo getting the bronze, and me dead last by a country mile.

(All calculations done in a sleepy fog. CharlieCorp not responsible for any misplaced hope.)

Drop-shot
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
From what I've seen your reasoning is sound. Only thing I can't confirm is the Febravo factor. I know he can't surpass Omega and me since we have the same picks from now on.

Omegadoom
11-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Unofficial, but I think it goes like this.........

If Djokovic wins (Drop and I tie, but standings set the order, and FEB would be 2 pts behind us)
1) Omega
2) Drop
3) FEB

If Federer wins (it would be a 3 way tie, and would go by our London standings)
1) Omega
2) Charlie
3) Drop

Im just glad Federer won, and Drop let me copy his picks this week! ;)

FEBravo
11-11-2012, 11:59 PM

If Djokovic wins (Drop and I tie, but standings set the order, and FEB would be 2 pts behind us)
1) Omega
2) Drop
3) FEB

1) Omega
2) Charlie
3) Drop

That's what I came up with as well assuming the tie-break is the position in the Race to London. It's interesting because the picks were so similar, other than the Ferrer/Delpo pick. Yet, most people who picked Ferrer to beat Delpo (like me), got screwed when Delpo beat Ferrer and took second spot, giving a break to those who had thought DP would beat Ferrer.

EDIT: Wait. That means I have to root for Djokovic?? I'll feel dirty

Drop-shot
11-12-2012, 04:50 AM

1) Omega
2) Drop
3) FEB

1) Omega
2) Charlie
3) Drop

I feel dirty for rooting for Federer yesterday. Anyhow, by the looks of the PC standings I was lucky you let me copy yours! ;)

patrick
11-12-2012, 05:50 AM

1) Omega
2) Drop
3) FEB

1) Omega
2) Charlie
3) Drop

That is why each tournament in the race to the year end finals is important for "seeding" position.