PDA

View Full Version : Important Security Announcement!

Kirkus
05-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Search Engine Spiders are always crawling through TAT's pages. Because of this, we receive many hits from people who use these search engines to find information about tennis. With more pages available through search engines TAT becomes more susceptible to spammer's advertisements and hackers scripts.

TAT has a built-in security system called, Guardian. This afternoon, a robot attempted to run a script at TAT. Fortunately, Guardian caught the action and stopped it. It also emailed the originating IP address to me. I've banned this IP address from accessing TAT.

Unfortunately, when banning IP addresses, I run the risk of banning a TAT member. The chances of this happening are slim, but still possible. If you ever attempt to log into TAT and see that you've been banned, chances are you've been assigned an IP address that at one time was used by a destructive script. If this should happen to you, send me an email at Kirkus@TalkAboutTennis.com immediately and I'll see that you're access to TAT is restored.

Kirkus
05-19-2006, 12:53 AM
In addition, I'm testing some other security features. These added features should be completely transparent to TAT members, but whenever changes like this are made, the possibility of locking a member out is there. Again, if you find yourself banned, send me an email (include any message you may receive).

I don't expect problems. These posts are a "just in case" measure.

Doll_Face
05-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Search Engine Spiders are always crawling through TAT's pages. Because of this, we receive many hits from people who use these search engines to find information about tennis. With more pages available through search engines TAT becomes more susceptible to spammer's advertisements and hackers scripts.

TAT has a built-in security system called, Guardian. This afternoon, a robot attempted to run a script at TAT. Fortunately, Guardian caught the action and stopped it. It also emailed the originating IP address to me. I've banned this IP address from accessing TAT.

Unfortunately, when banning IP addresses, I run the risk of banning a TAT member. The chances of this happening are slim, but still possible. If you ever attempt to log into TAT and see that you've been banned, chances are you've been assigned an IP address that at one time was used by a destructive script. If this should happen to you, send me an email at Kirkus@TalkAboutTennis.com immediately and I'll see that you're access to TAT is restored.

:o Dolly knows nothing about those mean things ... [smiley=engel017.gif]

[smiley=gorgeous.gif]