PDA

View Full Version : TAT Version 3 is in the works

Kirkus
10-15-2006, 01:24 PM
TATv3 is an expansion of TalkAboutTennis.com which involves 2 phases.

I'm currently working on the first phase which is a separate website that will provide the majority of content that you currently access through the link bars under the TAT banner. Our forum will NOT change. It will still be available where it is and in the format it is currently in. It will also be available from the main website.

Along with the content your used to seeing, plans are in the works to offer instructional articles to help players improve their games, a TAT Newsletter that you'll be able to subscribe to, and a calendar that will show tournament information and TAT events (TATHerings, contests, etc.).

Phase 2 will be an addition on the order of MySpace. This will give you the ability to create your own area on TAT including photos, blogs, etc.

I hope this expansion will be a welcome addition by our members!

mmmm8
10-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Sounds awesome, Kirkus! http://www.talkabouttennis.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/dankk2.gif

May I suggest making the TATSpace part only accessible by members (if you aren't already planning to do so). Part of the reason I stay away from myspace is that I don't want random people or people like (potential) employers to know everything about me.

Kirkus
10-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Sounds awesome, Kirkus!

May I suggest making the TATSpace part only accessible by members (if you aren't already planning to do so). Part of the reason I stay away from myspace is that I don't want random people or people like (potential) employers to know everything about me.

You better believe it!

We're dedicated to keeping TAT safe and comfortable for its members. I'm toying with the idea of allowing TATSpace access available to established members only, or at the very least allowing you guys to decide who has access to your TATSpace.

oploskoffie
10-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Dear mister Kirkus,

Please ignore my nickname and the fact that I'm part of the ever clever and crazy staff of TAT. As much as I love your plans (almost as much as I love you) there is one question that needs answering. It's not something I'd ask for asking's sake, oh no. This of the utmost importance to me as an individual with the need to creatively express myself.

Can I hack the shit out of the basic design of a TATSpace? 8-)

My most cincere thanks for reading my question. Any and all positive answers will be met with unbridled enthousiasm. Or something along them lines. Whatever.

;D

Kirkus
10-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Dear mister Kirkus,

Please ignore my nickname and the fact that I'm part of the ever clever and crazy staff of TAT. As much as I love your plans (almost as much as I love you) there is one question that needs answering. It's not something I'd ask for asking's sake, oh no. This of the utmost importance to me as an individual with the need to creatively express myself.

Can I hack the shit out of the basic design of a TATSpace? 8-)

My most cincere thanks for reading my question. Any and all positive answers will be met with unbridled enthousiasm. Or something along them lines. Whatever.

;D

What?! You want more to do? Bwhaaahaaahaaa!

If this is a serious question (with you I'm never sure :P )... check your PM Inbox.

oploskoffie
10-15-2006, 02:53 PM
What?! You want more to do? Bwhaaahaaahaaa!

If this is a serious question (with you I'm never sure :P )... check your PM Inbox.

What? You want v3.0 online before 2008? Are you nuts? I'm only human, Vivian! I'm not a machine!

Dunno what uncle Phil has to do with this, but you get the point ;D

Kirkus
10-18-2006, 11:53 PM
For those newer members of TAT: I think it's important to keep the membership up to date on major changes that might/will be taking place around here. Quite often web site administrators just change something without notice. I think that's wrong. If you take part in something like TAT, you deserve to have information available if something big is going to happen.

Some of the older members will probably tell you that I bore the hell out of them with plans and progress posts that they could care less about. So they probably indentify those threads quickly and just ignore them. This is one of those threads. I may not always ask your opinion, but I'll always tell you when something's going to change. If you find these threads boring, don't read them. But if you want to keep tabs on what's going on I try and remain up front with you.

Okay....

UPDATE:

After spending several weeks on the TATv3 project, I threw it all out and started over. ::)

The way it was headed would have made it necessary for members to register separately to the 3 main parts of TAT (website, forum, spaces). I didn't like that idea so I scratched it.

I think I have a system that will allow all 3 to be handled by one registration (1 username/1 password). The TATSpaces idea is pretty much out the window. The majority of quality systems available are either geared towards "dating" sites or they're so full of fluff that it would take me months to clean it up and make it work for TAT. So I'm going to use something that's more like "extended profiles". You'll have control over what's on it and it will still be your little piece of TAT, but without the bells and whistles (sorry MrKoffie). And I can keep the profiles away from non-members (unless they're just bound and determined to hack TAT and see who your favorite tennis player is).

I'd like to ask any of you that would be willing to help test TATv3 in about a week or so to please do so. I'd like to see if we can break it before it goes public. If you're interested in doing that, send me a PM and when the time comes I'll send you the new URL.

If you're already bored by this whole thing and really don't care, then here's a link (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/cgi-bin/TATv2/YaBB.pl?board=TAATP) that you'll probably enjoy more.

Thank you. And don't forget to tip your waitress.

Kirkus
10-24-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm close to launching TATv3 (new website and extended profiles) probably next week some time. I've not received any PMs from members willing to test it, so I'll just open it up and handle bugs or problems as they arise.

The full-blown TATSpaces idea has been shelved for the time being. TATv3 will have a scaled down version that I'm calling "extended profiles". It's located in the members area and will allow members to share more of themselves if they wish to do so. You'll also be able to upload photos to your extended profile (I've already added a picture of me with my monkey socks on). I've also installed a nifty replacement for TATChat!. Very sleek and a lot of fun.

Our forum's appearance will also change to better match that of the new site. This may be the last post in this thread... I'm close to the finish-line.