PDA

View Full Version : TAT Trivia Chat

Kirkus
11-05-2006, 03:25 PM
This is a test run of a new trivia/chat. How well it's received in this thread will determine whether or not we keep it, keep it and make it better, or flush it down the toilet.

It's run through an IRC server. So if you're familiar with the IRC and have an IRC Chat Client program you can find it in the channel - #talkabouttennis on the Dalnet IRC Network.

If you don't have a clue what that last paragraph meant you can go to (or just click on):

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/triviachat

When the page opens and the javascript loads enter you nick name and click the http://www.talkabouttennis.com/images/chaticon.png icon.

It can take up to 15 or 20 seconds for TAT to connect to the server. If you're presented with a Security Certificate you MUST okay it (this is a little added security).

The trivia game will be available 24/7 (as long as I don't suffer a power failure). You can play the trivia game or just chat with eachother... or do both. Please leave the trivia game running unless everyone in the room wants it off. It's pretty easy to chat between questions and answers.

To answer a trivia question, simply type the answer and hit return. It's currently set to display 3 hints for each question if a correct answer isn't given. After 3 hints and no correct answer, the correct answer will be displayed and the next question will be asked.

Commands are as follows:

!trivia Starts the trivia game.
!strivia Stops the trivia game.
!stats Shows you current score.
!hint Shows the next hint early.
!hof Shows all player's scores.

There are almost 5,000 questions in the current game.

Because we're just testing this right now, I haven't spent any time making it pretty ::)

Let me know in this thread if you like it, hate it, or don't care one way or the other.

mmmm8
11-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Well, if we are talking either/or, I'd stick with Alice.

But the Trivia chat is nice as an addition. It's a great way to kill time. It needs to be enhanced a bit - not just the number of questions, but the timing, the options, maybe the look of it.

Honestly, don't know if it's worth it that much, especially if you expect to spend money on a nicer version.

Kirkus
11-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Are the questions coming too fast or too slow mmm8?

mmmm8
11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Too slow. Although it´d be fine when several people are on trying to answer. There is a !next option, though, but I think in that case, you don't learn what the correct answer was (maybe i'm wrong and just missed it).

jjnow
11-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Well, I just tried to play but I accidentially clicked off. So absentminded sometimes.

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

jj

Kirkus
11-06-2006, 12:16 AM
I've revamped the trivia game. Out with the cumbersome and in with the better. Much better program!

I've rewritten the original post that started this thread and here are the significant changes to it:

=====
To answer a trivia question, simply type the answer and hit return (for those who've already played, it's no longer necessary to type "!trivia" before answering -- that was just stupid!) It's currently set to display 3 hints for each question if a correct answer isn't given. After 3 hints and no correct answer, the correct answer will be displayed and the next question will be asked.

Commands are as follows:

!trivia Starts the trivia game.
!strivia Stops the trivia game.
!stats Shows players scores.
!hint Shows the next hint early.
=====

As before, post comments (good or bad) in this thread. We'll give it a go and see what happens!

morct
11-06-2006, 02:22 AM
Had a go, liked it, but was a little slow!

oploskoffie
11-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Had a go and set a new target or two ;D It's fun enough, it just screws you with baby names >:(

Kirkus
11-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I've noticed several of you have entered TriviaChat with one name but then your name is changed to something like, "Guest12345".

The reason for this is that the name you originally entered with is registered to another user on IRC. If you use a name that would unlikely be registered (something with both numbers and letters) that'll probably be your best bet.

Trivia scores are awarded to you and saved so you'll want to use the same name each time you enter to get credit for all your correct answers.

If you're interested in registering your nickname on IRC, let me know and I'll show you how. It's pretty easy to do.

Kirkus
11-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Apparently the !stats command only shows the users score.

If you use !hof (stands for Hall Of Fame) you can see everyone's score.

I'm learning a few other things and will be posting more info in this thread.

oploskoffie
11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Cool! ;D I'm gonna try to answer *something* in under three seconds before I head for bed :P

mmmm8
11-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Well, I certainly like this one better. It game me a 6-pack of icy beers for getting 5 questions right!

Kirkus
11-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm still refining the thing. Again, if we keep it, I'll make everything prettier and more TAT-like.

What's kinda weird is that the new trivia game-bot is called "Tat's Trivia Bot". I didn't name the thing. The guy who wrote it years ago actually named it "Tat's Trivia Bot". I figured it was kismet

You should like this:

Current Trivia Scores (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/triv.htm)

It updates after 10 correctly answered questions.

Kirkus
11-07-2006, 12:30 AM
Had a go and set a new target or two ;D It's fun enough, it just screws you with baby names >:(

We can kill the baby names if you want to.

And, over time, replace the general questions with tennis trivia... that would be my ultimate goal.

morct
11-07-2006, 03:06 AM
Had a go and set a new target or two

You got a bit carried away with setting a new target!! You're the Federer of Tat Trivia!

oploskoffie
11-07-2006, 03:14 AM
Had a go and set a new target or two

You got a bit carried away with setting a new target!! You're the Federer of Tat Trivia!

I have no self-control :-[

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 01:00 PM
The baby names are killing me! None of them actually exist. There must be one baby in the history of the world for each of those names!

Kirkus
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
The baby names are killing me! None of them actually exist. There must be one baby in the history of the world for each of those names!

I'll kill the baby names.

Kirkus
11-08-2006, 02:39 PM
She's ahead of you, Oplo! :o

oploskoffie
11-08-2006, 02:40 PM

And WE are still ahead of you, so what's your point? ;D

;)

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 02:43 PM

;)

:)

I'm stopping at 100. I'm trying to beat the 2.9 sec record now. not working out well

oploskoffie
11-08-2006, 02:45 PM

I'm stopping at 100. I'm trying to beat the 2.9 sec record now. not working out well

Hmmmm, this could be fun for a while ;) I'll have to have a go at regaining my #1 ranking :P As for the speed record: I'd been trying for a sub 2 second time, but I haven't had a yes/no question yet ;D

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 02:49 PM

Hmmmm, this could be fun for a while ;) I'll have to have a go at regaining my #1 ranking :P As for the speed record: I'd been trying for a sub 2 second time, but I haven't had a yes/no question yet ;D

it just asked me what "black gold" was and I typed 'oil' in about 2 seconds. Turned out to be "crude oil." Ugh.

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 04:09 PM
OK, you jumped on that way too quickly. I don't have enough agility to fight.

And a 23-point streak? Methinks you must be looking up answers...

oploskoffie
11-08-2006, 04:12 PM

I looked up a baby name :-[ I'm sorry :-[ I was on sixteen at the time and got slighty pissed off with not knowing some name that had something to do with something growing on a cliff :-[

I'll ask Kirkus to reset my score. I'm pretty much in it for the fastest time now anyway :P

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 04:15 PM

I looked up a baby name :-[ I'm sorry :-[ I was on sixteen at the time and got slighty pissed off with not knowing some name that had something to do with something growing on a cliff :-[

I'll ask Kirkus to reset my score. I'm pretty much in it for the fastest time now anyway :P

You don't need to reset your score just because you play dirty :)

It's ok. I'm comfortable with you winning everything on TAT

oploskoffie
11-08-2006, 04:18 PM
You don't need to reset your score just because you play dirty :)

It's ok. I'm comfortable with you winning everything on TAT

You have such a charming way of putting things :P So no: I'm gonna see if I can be kicked back to zero and then I'll just try all over again and play by the book - with or without baby names ;)

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Don't reset. It'd be unfair

(And I was joking about you cheating. If I were fast enough, I would too).

I just learned from an "unscramble" question that "outspread" is a word

catz33
11-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I couldn't get on :(

Kirkus
11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
I couldn't get on :(

You use Safari on Mac OSX, right Catz?

You need to go to "Preferences" under the Safari menu. Then click on the tab, "Security". Make sure that the "Enable Java" and "Enable JavaScript" boxes are checked.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to download and use Firefox.

http://www.getfirefrox.com

That's what I use on my Mac and I like it much better than Safari.

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 08:26 PM

FIREFOX rules!!!

Kirkus
11-08-2006, 08:29 PM

FIREFOX rules!!!

It does. I installed a toolbar that has a spell-check on it. It works to check spelling on messages here on TAT before you click the "Post" button.

catz33
11-08-2006, 08:30 PM
It is enabled. I'll try it on Opera. Firefox isn't an option for me.

Oh and Thanks!

mmmm8
11-08-2006, 08:35 PM

FIREFOX rules!!!

It does. I installed a toolbar that has a spell-check on it. It works to check spelling on messages here on TAT before you click the "Post" button.

Yup, I have that in four languages!

The search bar is awesome too.

And the "mailto-this" and "gmail-this" toolbar options are great.

I also used to have a built-in radio, but I just downloaded version 2.0 and it doesn't work with it yet.

Kirkus
11-08-2006, 08:36 PM
It is enabled. I'll try it on Opera. Firefox isn't an option for me.

Oh and Thanks!

You're welcome!

I seem to recall you had problems last time I tried this, a year or so ago. I've tested it on Mac and PC using quite a few different browsers.

Are you behind a firewall or using a network that might be causing trouble?

Kirkus
11-08-2006, 08:38 PM

;)
Okay you two. Don't make me come after your asses! ;D

You probably don't know that I can get the answers to show up right after the question is asked. [smiley=hyst.gif]

catz33
11-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm behind a HUGE firewall which I suspect is the problem.

Kirkus
11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm behind a HUGE firewall which I suspect is the problem.

Ding ding ding ding. We have a winner!

I'm sorry Catz.

mmmm8
11-09-2006, 04:41 AM
Ok, either I have amnesia, or my score got bumped up overnight.

Kirkus, does the little table at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/triv.htm update itself only every few hours? I thought it was real-time?

oploskoffie
11-09-2006, 04:46 AM

Kirkus, does the little table at http://www.talkabouttennis.com/triv.htm update itself only every few hours? I thought it was real-time?

The trivia scores are updated after every ten answered questions ;)

Good to see so many people playing by the way. Let's add 50k questions and go nuts ;D

mmmm8
11-09-2006, 04:54 AM

The trivia scores are updated after every ten answered questions ;)

Good to see so many people playing by the way. Let's add 50k questions and go nuts ;D

Come to think of it, I do now remember having a winning streak of 11. I thought it was 9, but I now remember hitting 10.

Never mind, nothing is wrong with TATTrivia. It's just amnesia

Kirkus
11-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Baby names are gone.

And I have a file of almost 100,000 questions. I'm just waiting to load it up if this thing takes off.

So far so go, I'd say.

mmmm8
11-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Baby names are gone.

And I have a file of almost 100,000 questions. I'm just waiting to load it up if this thing takes off.

So far so go, I'd say.

Thanks, Kirkus for removing the bane of my existance.

I think some PIE is in order

Kirkus
11-10-2006, 12:16 AM
Baby names are gone.

So far so go, I'd say.

Apparently I don't get my pie anymore. :'(

mmmm8
11-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Baby names are gone.

So far so go, I'd say.

Apparently I don't get my pie anymore. :'(

You can have it now, but I'm taking it away after/if you answer 148 more questions correctly.

3mlm
11-11-2006, 09:17 PM
It says I have an "erroneous nickname." What nickname am I supposed to use?

Kirkus
11-12-2006, 12:45 AM
It says I have an "erroneous nickname." What nickname am I supposed to use?

I think the nickname can't begin with a numeral. I was able to login using "mlm3".

Kirkus
11-18-2006, 01:53 PM
So what do you guys think about this?

Should we spruce it up and keep it?

mmmm8
11-18-2006, 02:01 PM
So what do you guys think about this?

Should we spruce it up and keep it?

I think we should keep it as is, for now. Maybe during heavy periods like the SPs, but when play's not in session, we can hold little tournaments.

It's too bad we can't integrate the Trivia option into TATChat.

oploskoffie
11-18-2006, 02:04 PM
I'd be in favor of that, definitely :) Get some more tennis questions in there (need be, I'd be more than happy to add a few thousand ;D) and watch it grow [smiley=sweetheart.gif]

mrjiggyfly2
11-18-2006, 02:49 PM
I actually tried it for the first time today. I'm kind of indifferent to it. Maybe that just because Ohio St and Mich is on!!! ;D

I'm actually take or leave on it.

mmmm8
11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I'd be in favor of that, definitely :) Get some more tennis questions in there (need be, I'd be more than happy to add a few thousand ;D) and watch it grow [smiley=sweetheart.gif]

It's come to my attention, Mr. Koffie, Sir, that I am, once again, kicking your ass in this trivia department.

Just can't break the time record...

oploskoffie
11-22-2006, 12:46 PM

It's come to my attention, Mr. Koffie, Sir, that I am, once again, kicking your ass in this trivia department.

Just can't break the time record...

I don't dare look at what you've done :-X How bad is it, mmmm8?

mmmm8
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
It's not bad at all, I just missed the competition.

Kirkus
11-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I think it's time we have a real bonifide TAT Trivia Challenge.

oploskoffie
11-24-2006, 07:15 AM

Consider the competition alive 8-) Not doing too hot in my attempts to improve on my best streak, but I did better my fastest time this morning ;D There's at least one question in there that has a one-letter or one-number answer, so it should be very possible to take this below two seconds ;D :P

mmmm8
11-24-2006, 11:28 AM

Consider the competition alive 8-) Not doing too hot in my attempts to improve on my best streak, but I did better my fastest time this morning ;D There's at least one question in there that has a one-letter or one-number answer, so it should be very possible to take this below two seconds ;D :P

Ugh, you went even further than yesterday. Don't worry, I'm on the trail.

Do you mean "Q"? I got it. I would have gotten a below 2 seconds if I had ever in my life watched star trek.

Kirkus
12-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Do you guys have a strong objection to me shelving this for the time being? We have a lot on our plate and except for a few of you, I'm not sure it's going to catch on.

mmmm8
12-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Do you guys have a strong objection to me shelving this for the time being? We have a lot on our plate and except for a few of you, I'm not sure it's going to catch on.

AS long as Oplo calls it a draw ;)