PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail/Yahoo not compatible with forums.

Kirkus
03-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I've discovered that recent changes in Hotmail's and Yahoo Mail's agressive spam filtering that email generated by many popular forums are not being delivered to these free email accounts. I've done extensive testing and have discovered the following:

For Hotmail users: Email generated by YaBB (TAT's current forum software), vBulletin (TAT's future forum software), and phpbb (used by tennisforyou.com and others) WILL NOT be delivered to Hotmail accounts.

For Yahoo Mail users: New registration/activation email generated by YaBB (TAT's current forum software), vBulletin (TAT's future forum software), and phpbb (used by tennisforyou.com and others) are often delivered to Yahoo Mail accounts but are automatically placed in the "Bulk" folder. Password reset emails WILL NOT be delivered to Yahoo Mail accounts.

The administrators of TAT will be sending out emails to all members with Hotmail and Yahoo Mail accounts over the next few days alerting them of these issues. We will be suggesting to them that they log into TAT and change their email address in their profile to something other than Hotmail or Yahoo Mail. I've tested the free email service provided by Google -- gmail -- and at this time all emails are being delivered to Gmail accounts without incident.

Because we're moving to vBulletin on the 1st and 2nd of April and you must click on links provided to you in email notifications in order to reset your password and activate your account on the new forum, it is strongly suggested that all TAT members using Hotmail or Yahoo Mail change their addresses to something else prior to the move. If you prefer to not use your personal address, at the very least you should open a Gmail account at Google to accomodate receiving emails from TAT during the move.

If you elect to keep your Hotmail or Yahoo Mail account on file with TAT, your password will have to be reset manually and sent to you by a TAT administrator after the move. This could delay the activation of your account on the new forum by days.

After TAT is moved to vBulletin, we will no longer accept new registrations from people using Hotmail or Yahoo Mail.

hurricanejeanne
03-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I just made a gmail account.
I changed my profile email to that.

I expect the white rabbit to come April 1/2 so I can go to the new forum now.

PS. My yahoo account is jealous. :P

jjnow
03-25-2007, 02:28 PM
I just made a gmail account.
I changed my profile email to that.

I expect the white rabbit to come April 1/2 so I can go to the new forum now.

PS. My yahoo account is jealous. :P
gmail is going to love TAT today, Jeanne. Looks like we're all making the move.

jj

mmmm8
03-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Gmail's pretty nice. You just might convert

Kirkus
03-25-2007, 02:32 PM
For those who are changing their email accounts... thank you! You'll still receive an email from us suggesting the change, but obviously you can just throw it away.

Also, if you receive email from other forums you belong to, you may have to change your profile on those forums also.

I've been lurking about forum-owner support forums this weekend and many MANY forum owners are having the same issues. I don't know if specific tennis forums are experiencing this, but changes are that they are.

Kirkus
03-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Because it's a free service, it might go the way of Hotmail and Yahoo in the future. Hotmail has just implimented these new filters within the past 3 weeks, so who knows.

Foxykhat
03-25-2007, 02:34 PM

Yes it is, I've had a gmail addy for sometime just don't use it often enough I guess now I will have to. Just updated my email addy for TAT.

BTW I think they also have an IM feature on gmail.

Foxy

mmmm8
03-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Because it's a free service, it might go the way of Hotmail and Yahoo in the future. Hotmail has just implimented these new filters within the past 3 weeks, so who knows.

GMail. I'm pleased to say, has a pretty good Spam filter as is. I very rarely get spam in my inbox or good e-mail in the Spam folder. Knock on wood

hurricanejeanne
03-25-2007, 02:44 PM
When I went to sign up to WTAWorld and MTF, I had trouble with my Yahoo account. I had to open a Hotmail one just for the membership activations to those boards. Actually with WTAWorld, I had to register twice.
I was surprised to hear that vBulliten was giving you issues with Hotmail too.

I'm comfy with my Yahoo account. I've had it since forever. My orignal account with them was from late 2000. I had that until 2003.

:)

Ti-Amie
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I use Gmail. I love it.

Moose
03-25-2007, 06:45 PM
I keep my AOL account, since it was the first email account I had, but I set up a GMail account about a year ago, and its an outstanding service. It's just such a pain changing email addys.

mmmm8
03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I keep my AOL account, since it was the first email account I had, but I set up a GMail account about a year ago, and its an outstanding service. It's just such a pain changing email addys.

I have an e-mail program to manage my myriad of accounts. I also still have my AOL account, started in '97

Kirkus
03-25-2007, 07:11 PM
I have about a gazallion 6 email accounts that I have to keep an eye on. I have them all forwarded to one account that I check with my email client on my computer.

It's loads of fun to sort through them everyday. ;D

suliso
03-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Reading this I am almost ashamed to admit that I only have two accounts :-X

jkfriedman
03-25-2007, 07:36 PM
Do you know if people PC has this issue? I have an account with them I hardly ever use.

Kirkus
03-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Do you know if people PC has this issue? I have an account with them I hardly ever use.

If you want to test it, JK, pm me with the address and I'll give it a go.

PeterSkan
03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
I'm guessing this is not an April Fool's joke,

Bummer!

nelslus
03-25-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm guessing this is not an April Fool's joke,

Bummer!

OK, fine, nelslus has conformed and joined in with the happy-pappy TAT cult and signed up with a gmail account- albeit nelslus cannot help feeling with a name like "gmail" that he has just signed up to be a stripper.

Still, Peterskan, nelslus loves his hotmail, too, and refuses to give up his hotmail entirely- at least in the real world. (Not that "hotmail" is exactly an unstripper-like term.) So, just a fair warning....if we're the last two un-pods left, and nelslus starts up with an inhuman, piercing shriek.....run like hell to the highway, my friend. All is lost. :o

Kirkus
03-25-2007, 10:59 PM
LOL.

I've had my hotmail account for about 4 years. I'll never get rid of it. I just wish they weren't being so agressive. Spam control should be left up to the account holder... put the tools in place and trust your account holders to use them wisely.

Sorry guys. Just watchin' out for you.

TennisAnyone74
03-30-2007, 05:52 AM
I just opened a gmail account and updated my profile. Now I'm up to 3 online accounts, my work email, and my home email. No wonder I only check my snail mail once or twice a week - I don't have time to read it! ;D

TA