PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound racist to you?

sportfan92
08-10-2005, 05:14 AM
"brain-dead Caribbean hitters hacking at slop nightly..."

I know most, if not all of you are not SF Giants fans but.....does this sound racist to any of you? b/c this was said by a SF radio announcer, who is frustrated of the Giants team for performing poorly this season.

Sebastien447
08-10-2005, 06:34 AM
"brain-dead Caribbean hitters hacking at slop nightly..."

I know most, if not all of you are not SF Giants fans but.....does this sound racist to any of you? b/c this was said by a SF radio announcer, who is frustrated of the Giants team for performing poorly this season.

I'm sure a Carribean could be a bit brain-dead while hacking at slop ... I say no foul. Though he did single out the Carribeans ... are there a lot of Carribeans on the Giants? I think I need to know that before I give you my final answer! :D

sportfan92
08-10-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm sure a Carribean could be a bit brain-dead while hacking at slop ... I say no foul. Though he did single out the Carribeans ... are there a lot of Carribeans on the Giants? I think I need to know that before I give you my final answer! :D
dude, I think that's definitely a racist comment. there are some in the Giants but aren't there a lot of Latinos nowadays in baseball?

saying brain-dead carribean is definitely harsh way to say it.

sportfan92
08-10-2005, 09:18 AM
theres worse than that. I think it is racist but not as bad as some other racial insults that have been made.

sux for him the radio guy though.

have you heard barry bonds'? he said something like "I don't sign nothing for white kids" "you only investigate me b/c I"m black"

I used to idolize this guy throughout the 90's but didn't know until recently around last year or so that he was a total ass.

yet ESPN doesn't do anything about it. I swear to god if a white guy makes racist comment on other races like blacks, latinos, it's like the biggest sin in the world. but when a black or latino makes racist comment, it can be overlooked.

what a sheer hypocrisy. racism regardless of who it is used by is a terrible thing.

Doll_Face
08-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Of course it was a racist comment because he singled out an entire culture. His dumbass should've been fired.

Sport, white people have been getting away with racist words and deeds for a long time now, and they're finally getting repremanded for it. But I agree with you, any racist comment is out of the question and shouldn't be tolerated. I wasn't raised like that, and it hurts me everytime I see or hear about such things. :(

sportfan92
08-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Not just to stir the pot with one of my favorite people, but...

...isn't that a racist comment? You've just singled out "white" people and said they've been getting away with something for a long time now.

My point being sometimes something is said and is labeled a "racist remark" when in fact it was never meant that way.

I think singling out "Caribbean" hitters was a stupid thing to say, but does that make it racist? I'm not so sure it does.
wow I'm not so sure about that. people have different standards and definition for racism. some people use it as if it's a "gum" word. some people use it rarely.

my definition of racism is that it is a belief or a concept that character is determined by race or one race is superior to another. did it in this case show that he believed carribean was brain-dead? it's disputable.

Sebastien447
08-10-2005, 12:23 PM
you politically correct yahoos! ::)

thank you kirkie ... you understand me big fella! ...

I think it's been blown out of proportion. For one thing Caribbeans aren't a race. For another the comment didn't sound like he was implying all people from the Caribbean are brain-dead... only the hitters who have helped bring the San Francisco Giants to a 48-63 defecit.

sportfan92
08-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Here's a LINK (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3865854) to the news story for anyone who's interested.

Also this quote from a news article at MLB.com: Fired from the Giants' flagship station were program manager Bob Agnew, morning show producer Tony Rhein and Sportsphone 680 host Krueger.

I think it's been blown out of proportion. For one thing Caribbeans aren't a race. For another the comment didn't sound like he was implying all people from the Caribbean are brain-dead... only the hitters who have helped bring the San Francisco Giants to a 48-63 defecit.

I don't know.....I think it's fair to say at the least, it's kind of a disparaging of a particular ethnicity. don't you think?

I mean it wouldn't surprise me if he indeed was not really intending to be a racist. it just came out of his mouth in a way that he didn't want it to.

but calling carribeans "brain-dead" is a little too harsh.

shtexas
08-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Let me add a story to this discussion:

A few years ago, there was a well-respected, long-term employee of Southwest Airlines. He took his child to a children's birthday party. There was a photographer there and "say cheese" didn't make the kids smile. So, the photographer said "say monkey". This employee thought it was cute, because all the kids giggled and they got a good picture.

The next day was a company picnic for employees and families of Southwest Airlines. There was a photographer there. (You probably can see where this is heading.) So, the photographer is taking pictures of each family and the employee walks up behind the photographer while he is taking a family picture and says "say monkey". The family was African-American.

The employee was fired and also faced a civil lawsuit from the family.

Racist? Overreaction?

Doll_Face
08-11-2005, 02:16 AM
wow I'm not so sure about that. people have different standards and definition for racism. some people use it as if it's a "gum" word. some people use it rarely.

my definition of racism is that it is a belief or a concept that character is determined by race or one race is superior to another. did it in this case show that he believed carribean was brain-dead? it's disputable.

Yes he did, and that was my point and that's why he was fired. I only bought up white people because the announcer was white. If he were Asian, I would've commented on the history of Asians. So no, Kirkus, my comment was not racist, it was based on history.

Doll_Face
08-11-2005, 02:25 AM

A few years ago, there was a well-respected, long-term employee of Southwest Airlines. He took his child to a children's birthday party. There was a photographer there and "say cheese" didn't make the kids smile. So, the photographer said "say monkey". This employee thought it was cute, because all the kids giggled and they got a good picture.

The next day was a company picnic for employees and families of Southwest Airlines. There was a photographer there. (You probably can see where this is heading.) So, the photographer is taking pictures of each family and the employee walks up behind the photographer while he is taking a family picture and says "say monkey". The family was African-American.

Racist? Overreaction?

Shtexas,

That was an overreaction, but race issues (and by the way, we're all one race) are very sensitive and particularly when dealing with African Americans. The guy should've known better (I guess he didn't watch MNF with Howard Cosell).

This announcer didn't respect the Caribbean players on the team, and he called them (all of THEM) brain-dead. He crossed the line, albeit a very narrow line.

I have hundreds of examples, but I won't go there.

sportfan92
08-11-2005, 01:58 PM

Racist? Overreaction?

wow that really sux for the photographer.

he should have come up with something better though. I can overlook him b/c he wasn't intending to really be a racist in this case.

don't some people even believe that, humans evolved from monkeys?

I mean I don't believe in evolution but monkeys don't only evolve into African Americans.

I don't get why it has to be racism. if the guy said monkeys to asians or caucasians, let's say, then he wouldn't have been fired.

Doll_Face
08-12-2005, 12:23 AM
Did Dolly yell at Papa? :o

Nooooo, I just explained it from my point of view. How could anyone be upset with a loveable adorable sweet little round thing like Kirkus? ;)

LOL