PDA

View Full Version : Scripted TV Random, Random **Spoilers**

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ti-Amie
09-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this so I started this.

"Ringer" turned out to be pretty good. I remember BTVS started out slowly but this show has hit the ground running.
Nothing and no one is what they seem.

Kirkus
09-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm really looking forward to the return of Parenthood that started tonight. We have it recorded for tomorrow. Had to catch up on Hell's Kitchen tonight.

Scotty
09-13-2011, 11:37 PM
I want to see more of Ringer, too.

Perhaps a few too many mirrors in the pilot. On the other hand, I thought they made very good use of NOT showing some things in order to build suspense.

Edmond Dantès
09-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this so I started this.

"Ringer" turned out to be pretty good. I remember BTVS started out slowly but this show has hit the ground running.
Nothing and no one is what they seem.I definitely don't trust this guy on the right. Something doesn't ring true....watch out Sarah!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u77/dmurphy_007/62059f6e-1.jpg

http://twitter.com/#!/USATgolftennis/status/113725677760561152

Maybe it's the hair....or his virtual invincibility :)

mmmm8
09-14-2011, 06:37 AM
I want to see more of Ringer, too.

Perhaps a few too many mirrors in the pilot. On the other hand, I thought they made very good use of NOT showing some things in order to build suspense.

I liked it, but I think they actually showed too much, unless it's a false lead (referring to the husband's hushed phone call trying to back out of something)

shtexas
09-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I liked Ringer. I'll give it a try for a while and see where it heads.

JTContinental
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I thought the Ringer pilot was pretty awful, but most pilots are. Also, I had trouble getting used to the name Siobhan used so many times--it sounded so "Dynasty." The story itself was intriguing, though, and I hope it will pick up as the story solidifies.

jjnow
09-14-2011, 10:43 AM
I enjoyed it, save the comically green screened boat scene.

I was only in it for BTVS loyalty anyway, so I was pleasantly surprised.

JTContinental
09-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Me too. I think it will turn into an entertaining, campy show.

Ti-Amie
09-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Me too. I think it will turn into an entertaining, campy show.

If that boating scene is any indication...:cheesy:

Jay
09-14-2011, 03:00 PM

Your thoughts on this=my thoughts on this.

tobiasfunke
09-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I just watched the Playboy Club. Gotta give it a big 'ol MEH. I know not to judge a series based solely on the pilot, so I'll watch episode 2. But I am not optimistic.

I could not shake the feeling that Nick Dalton was trying to be Don Draper. And he was absolutely no Don Draper.

Ti-Amie
09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
I spent all of Hawaii 5-0 rolling my eyes and thinking it had jumped the shark until the end.

Castle was very good.

HIMYM is always meh to me.

tobiasfunke
09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
I spent all of Hawaii 5-0 rolling my eyes and thinking it had jumped the shark until the end.

Castle was very good.

HIMYM is always meh to me.
I gave up on HIMYM after 4.5 seasons.

I also watched Up All Night. Again, I feel like I need to wait until after the second episode to fairly judge it. I love the cast (Will Arnett, Maya Rudolph, Cristina Applegate, a cute baby).

Kirkus
09-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Castle was very good.

HIMYM is always meh to me.You're a better woman than I am. I love the first 3 or 4 episodes of Hawaii 5-0, especially the pilot. But gave up after 6 or 7 episodes. I was so disappointed. :(

I'm really looking forward to:
The New Girl, X Factor, and American Horror Story.

shtexas
09-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Wasn't that ending a terrific shock! By the way, I don't think a show that has never hit its stride is eligible to jump the shark.

Two & A Half Men was pretty good. Inspired to have a cameo from John Stamos since he was the first name mentioned to replace Sheen. Funny to also have Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson reprise their Dharma & Greg roles (although not great writing for any of these cameos. More like good ideas; poor execution). I liked Kutcher though. Looks like he is putting a different spin on what I am used to him playing. He's usually always the same. But, his voice and delivery were completely different here. This could work.

Ti-Amie
09-19-2011, 09:53 PM
I'm on the fence about American Horror Story. I'll probably end up watching it.

Ti-Amie
09-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Wasn't that ending a terrific shock! By the way, I don't think a show that has never hit its stride is eligible to jump the shark.

So true.

Kirkus
09-19-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm on the fence about American Horror Story. I'll probably end up watching it.
I'm mainly giving it a shot because Connie Britton is on it.

Ti-Amie
09-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Here we go.

CBS easily won the first night of the season as Two and Half Men scored nearly 28 million viewers to go along with its 10.3 adults 18-49 rating (leading not only the night, but any scripted show in the 2010-11 season by a wide margin) and was up more than 100% from last year's season premiere. With the huge lead-in, 2 Broke Girls got a very nice sampling and scored a 7.0 adults 18-49 rating, which would've easily made it the top scripted show of the 2010-11 season with adults 18-49! Comparisons to last year are unfair since Mike & Molly didn't premiere with a jumbo-sized Two and a Half Men lead-in, but 2 Broke Girls was up 79% versus last season's premiere of Mike & Molly. Earlier in the night How I Met Your Mother had a strong premiere at 8pm with 4.7 adults 18-49 rating, up 31% versus last year's 8pm premiere. Hawaii Five-0 was down only 13% from its series premiere last season, but that will still rankle some retentionistas.

Dancing with the Stars fell 24% from its fall 2010 premiere and had its lowest-rated premiere ever, but Castle fans still celebrate since Castle was up 22% with adults 18-49 from last season's premiere to a 3.3 rating.
Things were much gloomier for NBC. The Sing Off didn't crack a 2.0 rating and the premiere of The Playboy Club managed only a 1.6 adults 18-49 rating. By comparison, last season's premiere of the now cancelled Chase scored a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating in the preliminary numbers.
The season finale of Hell's Kitchen was up a little versus last week and averaged a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating from 8-10p. The 2.6 adults 18-49 rating for the final hour was in line with last season's finale (which aired in December):

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/09/20/tv-ratings-opening-monday-two-and-a-half-men-soars-cbs-wins-playboy-club-gloomy-castle-hawaii-five-0-and-more/104221/

mmmm8
09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
HIMYM had two episodes. The first wasn't that good, the second was better.

I watched the first 5 minutes of 2 and a half men, realized it's still not funny and made sure to switch (sorry, I know there are fans of the show on here, but I am just really not one of them).

2 Broke Girls was pretty funny, but too sitcom-my with its very fake New York and really forced jokes timing.

omess
09-20-2011, 01:44 PM

Two & A Half Men was pretty good. Inspired to have a cameo from John Stamos since he was the first name mentioned to replace Sheen. Funny to also have Jenna Elfman and Thomas Gibson reprise their Dharma & Greg roles (although not great writing for any of these cameos. More like good ideas; poor execution). I liked Kutcher though. Looks like he is putting a different spin on what I am used to him playing. He's usually always the same. But, his voice and delivery were completely different here. This could work.

Yeah I like two and half men. They are not trying to change the show so it is good... Allen is still the "loser".

Kirkus
09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
"New Girl" :overhead_clap:

Kirkus
09-22-2011, 10:39 PM
I spent the entire afternoon away from the news, blogs, current events, etc. and instead watched 6 straight episodes of "Haven" with Jessica (to catch up her up). What a great afternoon.

ptmcmahon
09-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Anyone watch Person of Interest? Considering giving it a go.

Ti-Amie
09-22-2011, 11:32 PM

I did. Much, much better than I thought it would be. I've set it up to record each week.

I also watched "Unforgettable". It's well done and I'll be watching.

Kirkus
09-22-2011, 11:37 PM
With Mary gone 'til next Tuesday I can't watch anything new until she returns. Just filling up the DVR. It's reruns for me this weekend.

Ti-Amie
09-22-2011, 11:48 PM
With Mary gone 'til next Tuesday I can't watch anything new until she returns. Just filling up the DVR. It's reruns for me this weekend.

Were you guys watching S1 or S2 of Haven?

Charlie02123
09-23-2011, 12:08 AM
LOVED it.

omess
09-23-2011, 04:32 AM
Loved it

shtexas
09-23-2011, 08:45 AM

LOVED it.

Loved it

Ditto.

Happy for Jim Caviezel. His career seemed to go off-track after Passion of the Christ.

Kirkus
09-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Were you guys watching S1 or S2 of Haven?I'm finally caught up with the series (impatiently waiting for Friday nights for the newest episode). But Jess had only seen through about half of S1. So we finished S1 and saw the first episode of S2.

Haven is one of those shows that got me from the first episode. Now it's "Must Watch TV".

Miles
09-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Ditto.

Happy for Jim Caviezel. His career seemed to go off-track after Passion of the Christ.

He won't do love/sex/passionate kissing scenes, so that is a huge obstacle for any actor. He may even have a problem doing post-coital scenes.

He also opposes embryonic stem cell research.

He has also donated to Rick Santorum. :cheesy:

The funniest description of The Passion of the Christ I ever read was when someone called it Jesus Chainsaw Massacre.

shtexas
09-23-2011, 10:50 AM
He won't do love/sex/passionate kissing scenes, so that is a huge obstacle for any actor. He may even have a problem doing post-coital scenes.

He also opposes embryonic stem cell research.

He has also donated to Rick Santorum. :cheesy:

The funniest description of The Passion of the Christ I ever read was when someone called it Jesus Chainsaw Massacre.

I'd have to watch again to determine how passionate. But, the flashback scenes in Mexico seemed at least somewhat. I wonder where he draws the line.

Miles
09-23-2011, 11:06 AM
I'd have to watch again to determine how passionate. But, the flashback scenes in Mexico seemed at least somewhat. I wonder where he draws the line.

Or he has succumbed to the realities of his chosen career and decided to lower his standards.

ptmcmahon
09-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Seems pretty unanimous that I should download Person of Interest then :) Thanks for the advice and I'll let you know how it turns out! Not sure if wife would be into this or not.

Kirkus
09-23-2011, 08:33 PM
We have Person of Interest on the DVR but I have to wait for Mary to home before watching it.

Charlie02123
09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Okay so I totally thought we were talking about Prime Suspect with Maria Bello, not Person of Interest. I totally loved Prime Suspect. I haven't seen the other one, but now I suppose I have to.

:o

greenhopper
09-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Person of Interest is very pre-crime-y like Minority Report, the movie.

skatingfan
09-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Okay so I totally thought we were talking about Prime Suspect with Maria Bello, not Person of Interest. I totally loved Prime Suspect. I haven't seen the other one, but now I suppose I have to.

:o
I really enjoyed Prime Suspect as well. Great casting, writing and the whole look of the series made me think I was watching a movie or cable series and not a network series - looking forward to the next episode.

Jay
09-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Anyone here watched or heard of The Secret Circle? I watched two episodes, and neither was good. I can't take the male love interest for the main girl seriously because he has major gay face :p, and the "bad" girl can't act at all.

Ti-Amie
09-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Anyone here watched or heard of The Secret Circle? I watched two episodes, and neither was good. I can't take the male love interest for the main girl seriously because he has major gay face :p, and the "bad" girl can't act at all.

Made it through the first episode. The second was so bad I just couldn't.

JTContinental
09-24-2011, 06:26 PM
We watched the first episode of "Revenge" last night, and we got totally sucked in. I didn't realize that Madeleine Stowe was in it.

Jay
09-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Made it through the first episode. The second was so bad I just couldn't.
I really liked the premise too. Oh wells. It probably won't last long before it's cancelled.

We watched the first episode of "Revenge" last night, and we got totally sucked in. I didn't realize
that Madeleine Stowe was in it.
Ditto. I actually went in with very low expectations because I didn't like the lead when she was in Brothers and Sisters. I had to google Stowe because her name wasn't ringing any bells. Pleasantly surprised to see her too.
She's also apparently half Costa Rican. Heh. Who knew

Ti-Amie
09-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Finally watched "Prime Suspect". Aside from them lifting the whole deputizing thing from "Justified" it was good. The actor playing Maria Bello's boyfriend made his bones on The Shield. Love him.

Also watched SVU. No surprise they did DSK but of course made him a different nationality and gave a different ending. With Chris Meloni not coming back Mariska Hargitay turned in a nuanced, wonderful performance. They didn't shoot her pretty. Instead of using filters they shot her rough around the edges, old and tired.
Her breakdown at the end, alone in an interview room, showed all the emotion she'd held in when it came to Stabler. In the end he wouldn't even talk to her, didn't tell her that he was leaving the force. I felt for her character for the first time in a very long time.

As for the new actress I hated her in "Chase" and she's still smirking her way through her character. The new male lead, Chris Pino, is simply too pretty. Benson and Stabler were believable because they weren't pretty, they have the physical imperfections regular people have. I'll suspend judgment for a few episodes.

I also watched Fringe. Great. They did some recapping a la Fringe but it's going to be a great season.

mmmm8
09-25-2011, 06:50 AM
I´ve been watching a terrific British show called The Hour. It´s about producing a news program on BBC in the 1950s (specifically, this season is set during the Suez Canal Crisis). There's also a detective kind of component to it as one of the leads is trying to uncover what seems to be a national conspiracy.

The cast and the cinematography (as usual with BBC shows) are really great. And I appreciated how they showed women professionally in this series. It's been compared to Mad Men because of the era, but this is much less stereotypical in this regard.

It´s showing on BBC America but the season has already aired in the UK, so is also available around the interwebs.

tobiasfunke
09-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Pan Am (PanAm? Is it supposed to be one word? We may never know.) was actually pretty great. Sexy!flight attendants. Sexy!pilots. Sexy!passengers. The Cold War! Cuba! Air travel! Spies!!!!!!

For real, it was a fun watch. But Christina Ricci was marketed as the star and she had virtually no story line.

tobiasfunke
09-25-2011, 08:57 PM
I´ve been watching a terrific British show called The Hour. It´s about producing a news program on BBC in the 1950s (specifically, this season is set during the Suez Canal Crisis). There's also a detective kind of component to it as one of the leads is trying to uncover what seems to be a national conspiracy.

The cast and the cinematography (as usual with BBC shows) are really great. And I appreciated how they showed women professionally in this series. It's been compared to Mad Men because of the era, but this is much less stereotypical in this regard.

It´s showing on BBC America but the season has already aired in the UK, so is also available around the interwebs.
Yeah, sounds like I need to watch this immediately.

shtexas
09-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Pan Am (PanAm? Is it supposed to be one word? We may never know.) was actually pretty great. Sexy!flight attendants. Sexy!pilots. Sexy!passengers. The Cold War! Cuba! Air travel! Spies!!!!!!

For real, it was a fun watch. But Christina Ricci was marketed as the star and she had virtually no story line.

I thought it was cute. Not sure how long I'll stick with it. I was laughing at the whole Bay of Pigs scene. Are they playing this as satire like Desperate Housewives? I couldn't tell.

I also think Mike Vogel is all wrong for the Captain. I'm sure he's old enough, but he looks really young and he's only a year or two removed from films like She's Out Of My League.

As for Christina Ricci, not much to do yet, but it's interesting seeing her in a role other than her usual weird or off-beat characters.

tobiasfunke
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I thought it was cute. Not sure how long I'll stick with it. I was laughing at the whole Bay of Pigs scene. Are they playing this as satire like Desperate Housewives? I couldn't tell.

I also think Mike Vogel is all wrong for the Captain. I'm sure he's old enough, but he looks really young and he's only a year or two removed from films like She's Out Of My League.

As for Christina Ricci, not much to do yet, but it's interesting seeing her in a role other than her usual weird or off-beat characters.
Oh, the Bay of Pigs scene was so cheesy! It's Mad Men for network tv. Easy, fun stuff.

Kirkus
09-29-2011, 10:41 PM
So we finally got around to the premier of "Charlie's Angels". I liked it. I thought it started off kind of wonky. The acting seemed over the top but once I got into the groove of what it was about I really enjoyed it.

Plus, the ex-future Mrs. Derek Jeeter Minka Kelly (formerly of "Friday Night Lights") is a freaking knock out. Knock. Out.

Definitely give it a second go.

http://www.quicklinks.net/content/Minka_Kelly_39.jpg
Minka Kelly

Ti-Amie
09-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Minka is a hard act to follow but I wanted to say that "Person of Interest" picked up right where it left off. Looks like this will be a keeper.

Should also note that Caviezel has had just the one rather chaste bedroom scene and that the violence has not been cartoonish and over the top. Also haven't seen a lot of shoot to kill stuff although there has been a lot of shooting. I guess they are taking his values into account.

Charlie02123
09-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Minka Kelly was in the "much more enjoyable than it should have been" remake of Single White Female called... The Roommate? I'm not sure of the new title.

oohsalmon
09-30-2011, 04:43 AM
As per usual, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia makes me crap my pants with laughter every week.

mmmm8
09-30-2011, 06:38 AM
I tried Suburgatory... great cast (Jeremy Sisto, Cheryl Hines as a bimbo, that girl that used to be on Weeds, Ana Gasteyer), bottomless premise. But it's just not well-written enough. I do give them lots of credit for using Lily Allen's "F*ckYou" throughout the first episode

Up All Night is kind of a disappointment, although it has moments. I did like the featuring of Bjorn Borg underwear

ptmcmahon
09-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Minka is a hard act to follow but I wanted to say that "Person of Interest" picked up right where it left off. Looks like this will be a keeper.

Still haven't gotten to watch the first one...but glad to hear if I do it'll be worth it!

Kirkus
09-30-2011, 08:49 AM
We're still playing catch up. "Person of Interest" is still in the queue along with Danielle in the first 2 episodes of "Harry's Law" and "Pan Am".

I'm in the middle of a really good book and that's sucking away some of the usual TV-time.

ptmcmahon
09-30-2011, 12:26 PM
With (another) new baby at home we have about an hour window each night when we can watch TV...and I was away a couple weekends so we're already falling behind! Plus we're both huge football fans so we only have 5 hours a week available ... and I'm usually out one or two of those.

On a side note...Minka Kelly was sent to a few people today ;)

mmmm8
09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
With (another) new baby at home we have about an hour window each night when we can watch TV...and I was away a couple weekends so we're already falling behind! Plus we're both huge football fans so we only have 5 hours a week available ... and I'm usually out one or two of those.

On a side note...Minka Kelly was sent to a few people today ;)

Are you and your wife deeply observant Catholics, or what?

ptmcmahon
09-30-2011, 01:03 PM
I wish I could blame it on that (since we are Catholic) ... but it's really the wife. Think she's finally satisfied this time.

winston
09-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Whatever the incentive, congratuations.:)

tobiasfunke
09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
I caved and watched the second episode of The Playboy Club. It is all tell and no show. Everything comes so easy. It is incredibly boring. And the Shadowy cliche machine that is "Hef" on the show is just about the worst thing ever.

skatingfan
09-30-2011, 08:12 PM
We're still playing catch up. "Person of Interest" is still in the queue along with Danielle in the first 2 episodes of "Harry's Law" and "Pan Am".

I'm in the middle of a really good book and that's sucking away some of the usual TV-time.

Harry's Law has been great so far this year - only one case so far (still going) and great guest stars.

Kirkus
09-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I. Love. Haven.

Excellent season finale. :yes:

Ti-Amie
09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I. Love. Haven.

Excellent season finale. :yes:

Yes it was.

mmmm8
10-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Harry's Law has been great so far this year - only one case so far (still going) and great guest stars.

Guest stars like.... TAT's own Danielle! Her screenshots play Alfred Molina's murdered wife!

I don't think this had been posted yet. I recognized her photo in the first episode.

Kirkus
10-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Guest stars like.... TAT's own Danielle! Her screenshots play Alfred Molina's murdered wife!

I don't think this had been posted yet. I recognized her photo in the first episode.
It was the blood that gave it away, huh? :cheesy:

JTContinental
10-01-2011, 03:03 PM

This is all kinds of awesome.

Ti-Amie
10-02-2011, 01:32 PM
The SVU storyline was great this week. The actor who played "Prince" is the same one who played "TK" on USA's "Necessary Roughness" over the summer. Not only is he easy on the eyes but he's pretty good at what he does. Not great yet but he has potential.

That said I ragged on the new guy but I liked him much more than I thought I would. He didn't give Olivia drama when she pushed him aside and in the end I thought that he's going to have the stomach for it as Olivia said.

Smirkette was tolerable because she wasn't featured this week.

Sidenote: TNT ran a L&O original flavor marathon this weekend. I was trying to stay up for the Young/Murray match so I had the TV on. I almost fell on the floor when I saw one of the first episodes from 1990 with Chris Noth and George Dzundza(sp). Fascinating.

Ti-Amie
10-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Prime Suspect did the pedophile story from a different angle and did a good job. I wish Bello would decide what she wants to do with the hat. I also think they're wasting Kenny Johnson so far.

"A Gifted Man" is wasting Margo Martindale so far.

Charlie02123
10-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Sidenote: TNT ran a L&O original flavor marathon this weekend. I was trying to stay up for the Young/Murray match so I had the TV on. I almost fell on the floor when I saw one of the first episodes from 1990 with Chris Noth and George Dzundza(sp). Fascinating.
I watched a bunch of those episodes. LOVE original Law and Order. Remember when they were based on real stories!?

Kirkus
10-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Finally got around to "Person of Interest". I really didn't care that much for it (which means it will probably be a multi-season hit).

Ti-Amie
10-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I watched a bunch of those episodes. LOVE original Law and Order. Remember when they were based on real stories!?

Every now and then up to the end they still were. One of the biggest mistakes NBC made was letting the show die. Of course after 20 years someone thought that it had done all it could and to replace the actors would cost too much. I dunno.

I miss how much Ohrbach (rest his soul), Noth and Martin could put into one sentence.

Charlie02123
10-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Every now and then up to the end they still were. One of the biggest mistakes NBC made was letting the show die. Of course after 20 years someone thought that it had done all it could and to replace the actors would cost too much. I dunno.

I miss how much Ohrbach (rest his soul), Noth and Martin could put into one sentence.
Fun Fact: Jerry Orbach was the voice of the candlestick Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast.

dryrunguy
10-03-2011, 07:16 AM
Did anyone else watch the premier of Homeland after Dexter last night? Within the first 5 minutes, I hated it and figured it was going to be the kind of show that reinforces all sorts of negative stereotypes. By the end, though, I was really liking it. But I love me a protagonist that brings an interesting blend of brilliance and being a complete, red hot mess. :)

It's now set to record on DVR. But was curious if anyone else saw it and what their reaction was...

mmmm8
10-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Did anyone else watch the premier of Homeland after Dexter last night? Within the first 5 minutes, I hated it and figured it was going to be the kind of show that reinforces all sorts of negative stereotypes. By the end, though, I was really liking it. But I love me a protagonist that brings an interesting blend of brilliance and being a complete, red hot mess. :)

It's now set to record on DVR. But was curious if anyone else saw it and what their reaction was...

I saw the first episode as a preview a couple weeks ago. I was hesitant about it both because of the subject and because I'm not the biggest Claire Danes fan. I thought it was good, though. They gave too much away in the first episode by confirming she is right and showing that last flashback of the POW, but I'll keep watching. The guy playing Brody is quite good and so is the woman playing his wife. And Danes works with the part, too.

I missed Dexter though - yesterday was my dad's birthday. Can't wait to see it.

Ti-Amie
10-03-2011, 09:09 AM

I saw it Dry and like you almost turned away saying to myself I've had enough of this kind of thing and thinking it was going to be Kiefer Sutherland in drag. I'm so glad I stuck around.
Red Hot Mess is putting Claire Danes character mildly. We truly don't know if her suspicions are spot on or if she's having a psychotic break.
She's my early Emmy favorite.

munchin
10-03-2011, 09:12 AM

OMG, I can't believe I forgot about the Dexter premiere. Maybe I should skip the gym tonight and watch it...

Kirkus
10-03-2011, 11:35 AM
I saw the first episode as a preview a couple weeks ago. I was hesitant about it both because of the subject and because I'm not the biggest Claire Danes fan. I thought it was good, though. They gave too much away in the first episode by confirming she is right and showing that last flashback of the POW, but I'll keep watching. The guy playing Brody is quite good and so is the woman playing his wife. And Danes works with the part, too.

I missed Dexter though - yesterday was my dad's birthday. Can't wait to see it.
Damian Lewis, the actor who portrays Brody, starred in "Life", a 2-season drama that was canceled several years ago. We were very impressed with him as an actor back then (we bought "Life" on DVD) and we were really excited to see him return to TV. We have "Homeland" recorded and will probably watch the premier episode tonight.

Kirkus
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Caught the premier tonight. I thought Claire Danes was superb. Hot mess indeed.

We don't know if Brody's flashbacks are real memories or if they're psychotic, caused either by the torture he endured or implanted. I'm not ready to say he's a spy.

I'll definitely tune in again.

Scotty
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Y'all are too classy with your talk of dramas on premium networks about complicated issues.

I was ROFL @ 2 Broke Girls tonight: "But seriously, your boyfriend will come out before that borscht stain does."

Kirkus
10-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Y'all are too classy with your talk of dramas on premium networks about complicated issues.

I was ROFL @ 2 Broke Girls tonight: "But seriously, your boyfriend will come out before that borscht stain does."LOL.

nelslus
10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
OMG, I can't believe I forgot about the Dexter premiere. Maybe I should skip the gym tonight and watch it...

.....Skip the gym, he sez......

Pffffft. And you say MY shriek is more manly than I'm giving yourself credit for.....:gorgeous:

mmmm8
10-04-2011, 09:39 AM

I was ROFL @ 2 Broke Girls tonight: "But seriously, your boyfriend will come out before that borscht stain does."

I'm liking that show a lot. Although I'm 100% certain no corner-of-the-wall palce in Brooklyn would charge $70 for those nail tips :)

Caught the premier tonight. I thought Claire Danes was superb. Hot mess indeed.

We don't know if Brody's flashbacks are real memories or if they're psychotic, caused either by the torture he endured or implanted. I'm not ready to say he's a spy.

I'll definitely tune in again.

I hadn't thought of that.. I guess it's possible although I'm not sure why he'd have them without knowing that people are suspecting him of anything.

Charlie02123
10-06-2011, 12:42 AM
I watched half an episode of Harry's Law and most of the premiere of American Horror Story tonight.

Harry's Law was only because my grandmother insisted. She likes "the show with that woman." I like Kathy Bates too, but couldn't they just show Misery every Wednesday night? The show is TERRIBLE! I love Law and Order, and the tiny bits of legal knowledge osmosis has given me are enough to know Harry's Law is completely unrealistic. I was sitting on the couch going "That's total hearsay and inadmissible!" The twist at the end was outrageously stupid. The dialogue. Ohmygodyouguys the dialogue.

American Horror Story is fascinating. WHO IS THE TARGET AUDIENCE!? I feel like this was a creative project and not a business project. That said, it's visually stunning and keeps you interested. It's more creepy than terrifying. Dylan McDermott is too handsome and must be destroyed at all costs. I'm intrigued by the show but I wouldn't call it "must see."

shtexas
10-06-2011, 08:58 AM
American Horror Story is fascinating. WHO IS THE TARGET AUDIENCE!? I feel like this was a creative project and not a business project. That said, it's visually stunning and keeps you interested. It's more creepy than terrifying. Dylan McDermott is too handsome and must be destroyed at all costs. I'm intrigued by the show but I wouldn't call it "must see."

I'm not sure if it is good or not. I laughed my way through most of it, but it is definitely worth a second look. And Dylan McDermott still can't act, but he hasn't aged a day since The Practice. Jessica Lange looked like she was having fun, though.

Martini4me
10-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Jay was coaching Manny in the art of salesmanship last night on Modern Family. Manny is going door-to-door attempting to sell Christmas wrapping paper to fund a school play (I think).

Manny to a lady at her door: "Would you be interested in some Christmas wrap?"

Lady: "Actually, I'm Jewish."

Manny: (pause) "Well, then you must appreciate a good value."

I can't believe they said that.

JTContinental
10-06-2011, 11:37 AM
In a "I know he's the man for me" moment last night, Craig and I watched the Homeland premiere, but mainly only to make jokes about the length of Claire Danes' eyelashes in every scene she was in.

shtexas
10-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I'm still enjoying Person of Interest. I like the whole paranoia thing. Creeps me out. Plus, it's kinda sad. Want more backstory.

After the latest episode, I think I will stay with Ringer a while. I didn't think they were going to move it along this fast.

Still iffy on Pan Am. Plus, with football running long last week, The Good Wife started late and I missed half of Pan Am anyway.

James7
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
In a "I know he's the man for me" moment last night, Craig and I watched the Homeland premiere, but mainly only to make jokes about the length of Claire Danes' eyelashes in every scene she was in.

:cheesy:

I had a similar experience with John watching "A Room With A View" early in the dating process. Except there it was HBC's eyebrows.

Kirkus
10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm still enjoying Person of Interest. I like the whole paranoia thing. Creeps me out. Plus, it's kinda sad. Want more backstory.

After the latest episode, I think I will stay with Ringer a while. I didn't think they were going to move it along this fast.

Still iffy on Pan Am. Plus, with football running long last week, The Good Wife started late and I missed half of Pan Am anyway.
I learned that lesson several years ago. Whenever I record something after football I always get the show that follows it. It's maddening when that happens.

ptmcmahon
10-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Still haven't started it yet...may tonight though as I have some alone watching the baby sleep time :) I'm years late into the middle of BSG though (Season 3 now) so might make more sense to finish that up first before I get into a new show.

Also, have another show I will def be watching tonight - The League. Anyone else here watch it? It's a comedy based a bunch of friends in and fantasy football league and their wacky hijinx that may or may not be related. My friend who also loves the show said last night's season premiere was the best episode yet.

Charlie02123
10-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Still haven't started it yet...may tonight though as I have some alone watching the baby sleep time :) I'm years late into the middle of BSG though (Season 3 now) so might make more sense to finish that up first before I get into a new show.

Also, have another show I will def be watching tonight - The League. Anyone else here watch it? It's a comedy based a bunch of friends in and fantasy football league and their wacky hijinx that may or may not be related. My friend who also loves the show said last night's season premiere was the best episode yet.
I watched the first season of The League and thought it was great. I caught most of the premiere. I thought Seth Rogan's character was a bit gimmicky but it was still very funny.

mmmm8
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Is "Person of Interest" set in New York? All the previews look desert-like... but they're shooting on my block.

Which I guess means the series got picked up.

Anyway, I guess this is my way of bragging that I live on the "mean" part of the mean streets of New York

Kirkus
10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Is "Person of Interest" set in New York? All the previews look desert-like... but they're shooting on my block.

Anyway, I guess this is my way of bragging that I live on the "mean" part of the mean streets of New York
Yeah, but you don't carry a shiv in your sock, do you? ;)

Miles
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Any pilot that makes it to air is picked up for the first 13 episodes. The remaining episodes are called "the back nine", and are ordered only if the series is picked up for the full season.

"Person of Interest" is most likely still shooting the first 13, and like every other new show waiting with bated breath for an order of the back nine, which would mean they aren't canceled.

mmmm8
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Any pilot that makes it to air is picked up for the first 13 episodes. The remaining episodes are called "the back nine", and are ordered only if the series is picked up for the full season.

"Person of Interest" is most likely still shooting the first 13, and like every other new show waiting with bated breath for an order of the back nine, which would mean they aren't canceled.

Ok, I see. I had assumed the first 13 would have been shot by now.

JTContinental
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Craig and I have moved Homeland into the "one more episode to pick it up" pile. Not even Claire Danes eyelash jokes can sustain the fact that it's a complete snoozer until the last 5 minutes of every episode.

Charlie02123
10-11-2011, 12:38 PM
I caught up with Modern Family today, watching the last 2 episodes. I thought they had some of the best jokes of the entire series, although I prefer plots where all the characters are rational instead of totally insane.

I also caught up with Glee. I had seen the premiere but not episodes 2 and 3. I actually do think the latest episode was probably the best in their history. It did justice to such a high number of story lines in one episode it felt like two or three.

I really like Kurt's development this season, being a little selfish and insecure instead of Gay Pale Jesus. I enjoy Blaine a lot, and it kind of cracks me up that they embraced his "heart throb" status so much by dressing him in tight tight tucked in shirts all the time. Mercedes and Quinn have been written poorly for a long time. Mike Chang is great. I'm looking forward to seeing the Glee Project winners soon.

JTContinental
10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing the Glee Project winners soon.

The losing girl who got the two episode arc was pretty amazing, much better than I would have imagined she'd be based on her performance on TGP. I bet they'll pick her character up...

JTContinental
10-11-2011, 12:51 PM

New York? Does this mean you didn't survive the mean streets of suburban Connecticut?

mmmm8
10-11-2011, 12:55 PM
New York? Does this mean you didn't survive the mean streets of suburban Connecticut?

Yeah... incidentally, that's where Suburgatory is set.

JTContinental
10-11-2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah... incidentally, that's where Suburgatory is set.

Good choice, IMO...I much prefer dodging hatchet murderers to strip malls and Applebee's.

mmmm8
10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I find it disturbing that they're using the same baby actor on the Tim Allen comedy and on Dexter.

JTContinental
10-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I find it disturbing that they're using the same baby actor on the Tim Allen comedy and on Dexter.

I find it disturbing that you watched the Tim Allen comedy.

mmmm8
10-12-2011, 08:56 AM

It's SO not good. And SO sexist.

I was drawn in by Hector Elizondo... for 8 minutes.

nelslus
10-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Putting aside thoughts of mmmm8 and Hector Elizondo for the moment- I find it disturbing that anything with Tim Allen in it can still be called a comedy.

Edmond Dantès
10-13-2011, 08:23 AM
Putting aside thoughts of mmmm8 and Hector Elizondo for the moment- I find it disturbing that anything with Tim Allen in it can still be called a comedy.He's 74 years old. 8mins is pretty damn impressive or mmmm8 is less so.

Miles
10-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Buh-bye Charlie's Angels.

Kirkus
10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Buh-bye Charlie's Angels.Oh, really? That was quick.

Miles
10-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Oh, really? That was quick.

They've shot seven episodes and those will air, but the show has stopped production.

Edmond Dantès
10-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Buh-bye Charlie's Angels.Knight Rider, Bionic Woman, Wonder Woman, Charlie's Angels. All reboot failures.

How long before they bring back The Fall Guy? Lee Majors is probably still available. It's what the world is waiting for.

winston
10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
I like that Mariska Hargitay now gets top billing on SVU with Meloni gone. Never happened for Marg Helgenberger on CSI - they always felt compelled to bring in a big name for the top slot. Some of the cable networks, on the other hand, have had women carrying shows for years.

Kirkus
10-25-2011, 08:32 PM
"Once Upon A Time"...

I like it. I like it. I like it.

shtexas
10-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Enjoying American Horror Story more and more each episode (although I think the Entertainment Weekly cover story was premature).

I still haven't decided if it's a good show, but it is a blast. It's walking a tightrope though, and could fall at any moment.

JTContinental
10-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Enjoying American Horror Story more and more each episode (although I think the Entertainment Weekly cover story was premature).

I still haven't decided if it's a good show, but it is a blast. It's walking a tightrope though, and could fall at any moment.

I feel the exact same way. I've really been liking it, although it is not very scary, I don't think. More suspenseful than anything else...

Martini4me
11-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Is anyone else watching Revenge?

My wife watched and then recorded the first few episodes, and then insisted I start watching as well. It's a little bit soapy, but extremely well done. It's about a young woman who returns to her childhood house in the Hamptons, to seek revenge on those responsible for framing her father for the terrorist bombing of an airplane (which they had some, possibly unwitting, involvement in). The first few episodes were each about her getting back on one person, generally by exposing some hidden secret to destroy their reputation. This week's episode really upped the stakes by revealing the motivations behind several other characters, whose actions had been heretofore unexplained.

The lead actress (Emily Van Camp) is from a small town about 10 miles north of where I was orn.

winston
11-03-2011, 08:31 PM
I've been watching Revenge too. Didn't expect to stick with it this long, but it's surprisingly good at weekly cliff-hangers. Want to see what happens next.

Kirkus
11-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I've really fallen for "Prime Suspect". It's dark and gritty and reminds me of NYPD Blue, which I loved. Maria Bello is really excellent in it.

tobiasfunke
11-04-2011, 05:18 AM
Did anyone else watch Conan last night? I hadn't watched in months but I made sure to tune in last night, as the show was finishing a week long stint in NYC and Conan officiated a same sex marriage between his costume designer and his partner. It was incredibly sweet, and I have to admit I teared up a bit.

And Louie CK and Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog were on and they are always hilarious.

Miles
11-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Did anyone else watch Conan last night? I hadn't watched in months but I made sure to tune in last night, as the show was finishing a week long stint in NYC and Conan officiated a same sex marriage between his costume designer and his partner. It was incredibly sweet, and I have to admit I teared up a bit.

And Louie CK and Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog were on and they are always hilarious.

Conan has been killing it all week. If you enjoyed last night, you should check out the rest of the week on-line. Triumph was supposed to be on Wednesday but the piece ran too long. NBC still owns Triumph so that was a big fcuk you to them. If I had known you were such a big fan and had you been in NY, I would have invited you to the tapings. Nothing like the electricity in the Beacon Theater with 2700 hardcore Conan fans.

Miles
11-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Here is a link to the Triumph segment. Well worth watching.

http://teamcoco.com/video#video=19701

Scotty
11-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Here is a link to the Triumph segment. Well worth watching.

http://teamcoco.com/video#video=19701

wrong link. try http://teamcoco.com/video/19701/triumph-visits-occupy-wall-street

tobiasfunke
11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Conan has been killing it all week. If you enjoyed last night, you should check out the rest of the week on-line. Triumph was supposed to be on Wednesday but the piece ran too long. NBC still owns Triumph so that was a big fcuk you to them. If I had known you were such a big fan and had you been in NY, I would have invited you to the tapings. Nothing like the electricity in the Beacon Theater with 2700 hardcore Conan fans.
LOVE Conan from way back. I haven't been watching a lot since he went to TBS, but I really should.

Here is the wedding: http://teamcoco.com/video/scott-cronick-david-gorshein-wedding

Ti-Amie
11-20-2011, 08:11 AM
"Person of Interest" just gets better and better. They took spy vs spy to a new level while giving background on Reese.

SVU was just brutal this week. As usual Andre Braugher was excellent as was Mariska Hargitay. The new girl still smirks too much for me. The new guy is playing his character just this side of crooked and doing a great job.

I don't hate "A Gifted Man". Maybe it's me.

Fringe is just awesome. From the story line this season to the acting it's just a great show.

I've been watching "DaVinci's Inquest", a Canadian show that kind of grows on you. The ensemble work is awesome. ABC's "Body of Proof" is, shall I say, derived from DaVinci.

Jay
11-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I've been watching "DaVinci's Inquest", a Canadian show that kind of grows on you. The ensemble work is awesome. ABC's "Body of Proof" is, shall I say, derived from DaVinci.

I forget what station it was, but there was a station that used to play a lot of "DaVinci's Inquest" rerun on the weekends. I sort of got hooked. It's really good.

Plus, their Canuck accents are adorable.

Ti-Amie
11-20-2011, 08:35 PM
I forget what station it was, but there was a station that used to play a lot of "DaVinci's Inquest" rerun on the weekends. I sort of got hooked. It's really good.

Plus, their Canuck accents are adorable.

Yep. It lasted 7 seasons but Netflix only has 3 so far. :(

ptmcmahon
11-20-2011, 08:48 PM
"Person of Interest" just gets better and better. They took spy vs spy to a new level while giving background on Reese.

I STILL haven't started it...but good to here when/if I do it would be worth it. We went away for a weekend and now have fallen behind in all our shows.

Ti-Amie
11-26-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm watching entirely too much British television.

It started with "Misfits" - the Hitler episode was "amazing". Kelly doing the imitation of the character "Hitman" stole the episode.

I've been watching "Midsomer Murders" - a crime procedural set in a fictional, bucolic, small town English county ( can't remember the word the British use. It might be "shire" but I'm not sure. Sorry.:()

And then I decided to watch Helen Mirren in the original "Person of Interest". All I can say is that while I enjoy the US version it doesn't come anywhere near the British original. It could be because Maria Bello is no Helen Mirren.

I do need to watch these shows with subtitles on though. Half the time I have no idea what the British are talking about.:cheesy:

Edmond Dantès
11-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm watching entirely too much British television.

It started with "Misfits" - the Hitler episode was "amazing". Kelly doing the imitation of the character "Hitman" stole the episode.

I've been watching "Midsomer Murders" - a crime procedural set in a fictional, bucolic, small town English county ( can't remember the word the British use. It might be "shire" but I'm not sure. Sorry.:()

And then I decided to watch Helen Mirren in the original "Person of Interest". All I can say is that while I enjoy the US version it doesn't come anywhere near the British original. It could be because Maria Bello is no Helen Mirren.

I do need to watch these shows with subtitles on though. Half the time I have no idea what the British are talking about.:cheesy:A few other recommendations to look out for, as you seem to be on a roll ;)

Luther - detective series with Idris Elba in the lead role. Slightly unrealistic, but well made, and pretty gruesome.

Sherlock - reboot with Sherlock in modern day London. mmmm8 liked it - what higher compliment is there? ;)

Fresh Meat - comedy/drama about a group of kids starting out at college. Similar sensibility to Misfits (quite crude), but without the superhero element, and more comedic.

The Shadow Line - police conspiracy mini series. Well made, with good acting.

Top Boy - mini series about kids falling into the drug trade, set in a poorer area of London. Doesn't have the length and scope of the Wire, but there are similarities. Beautifully shot.

Not sure about the availability of these through conventional means. The first two were shown on BBC America I think.

Ti-Amie
11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks Edmond. I'm on the Luther and the Sherlock trains. Idris Elba is awesome. So is Cumberbatch.

You didn't mention Inspector Lewis, another fave of mine. :)

Love the British Being Human but that seems on its last legs.

Conventional means to watch? I'm an unconventional type of person if you get my drift. :cheesy:

Edmond Dantès
11-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks Edmond. I'm on the Luther and the Sherlock trains. Idris Elba is awesome. So is Cumberbatch.

You didn't mention Inspector Lewis, another fave of mine. :)

Love the British Being Human but that seems on its last legs.

Conventional means to watch? I'm an unconventional type of person if you get my drift. :cheesy:;) all for the unconventional.

Yeah, Idris and Benedict are both excellent.

Lewis falls a little too much into the 'conventional' procedural for me ;)

I think Being Human will be back near the beginning of next year. Interesting to see how it adjusts. There was another similar fantasy series called 'The Fades' - got some good reviews, but i've not watched it yet.

Only other show I can think of right now is 'The Thick of It' - political satire/comedy that had the film spin off 'In the Loop'. A lot of bad language in it...you seem to like that though ;) Peter Capaldi is brilliant as the spin doctor Malcolm Tucker.

Ti-Amie
11-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I continue to be surprised at how unconventional "Midsomer" is. :lipsrsealed:
No wonder its never been on "Masterpiece Theater" over here. ;)

mmmm8
11-27-2011, 08:27 PM
1. Dexter! Did anyone see that twist coming
2. I finished the two existing seasons of Downton Abbey and am now mad the next season isn't till September 2012. It kind of snuck up on me. I didn't realize I can't stop watching until about the 5th episode.

Ti-Amie
11-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Is anyone watching "Hell on Wheels"? Kind of "Deadwood" light. I could never get into "Deadwood" but this one is interesting me. Maybe because the lead isn't calling everyone a "c***s*****" every five minutes.

I think I've said it before here. "Dexter" creeps me out and that's saying a lot since I can watch almost anything.

I refuse to get on the "Downtown Abbey" train. I refuse. :cheesy:

dryrunguy
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM

I did NOT!

mmmm8
11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I did NOT!

In the little About the Show post-script afterward, they said that even Colin Hanks wasn't told, just Edward Olmos and Michael Hall!

shtexas
11-28-2011, 11:04 AM

This show and The Mentalist, which follows it, are basically standard crime shows. But, in both cases, it is that undercurrent of deep sadness that adds depth and keeps me watching.

Edmond Dantès
11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Is anyone watching "Hell on Wheels"? Kind of "Deadwood" light. I could never get into "Deadwood" but this one is interesting me. Maybe because the lead isn't calling everyone a "c***s*****" every five minutes.

I think I've said it before here. "Dexter" creeps me out and that's saying a lot since I can watch almost anything.

I refuse to get on the "Downtown Abbey" train. I refuse. :cheesy:YHqB3v5rNCc
You're already in Midsomer. Might as well continue your trek across Englandshire - it's only a couple more stops till you arrive at Downton ;)

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that there is someone in the world who likes Midsomer and Misfits. The target demographics for those shows must be very far apart :p

Ti-Amie
12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks for correcting me on the spelling of "Downton".

Midsomer has convinced me never to live in a small town. Still resisting "Downton" which probably means I'll become a rabid fan when I do give in and watch it.

"Misfits" is supposed to be geared to a young viewing audience but the acting, the show's subtle comedic flair and the story lines (I've been a X-Men fan since forever) keep me watching.

Edmond Dantès
12-01-2011, 05:44 AM
^^^ It's a wonder that the town of Midsomer has any citizens left :)

2. I finished the two existing seasons of Downton Abbey and am now mad the next season isn't till September 2012. It kind of snuck up on me. I didn't realize I can't stop watching until about the 5th episode.There's a 2hr special (well, minus the ads) on Christmas day. Can maybe ration it for the next 9 months ;)

mmmm8
12-01-2011, 09:53 AM
There's a 2hr special (well, minus the ads) on Christmas day. Can maybe ration it for the next 9 months ;)

Cool! Thanks!

JTContinental
12-01-2011, 10:50 AM
American Horror Story should clean up on the Emmys this year. Everyone in the cast can act, except for Dylan McDermott.

It's too bad that Alma Jr from Brokeback Mountain will have to compete in the same category as Jessica Lange, because they both are amazing on that show.

tobiasfunke
12-01-2011, 06:06 PM
American Horror Story should clean up on the Emmys this year. Everyone in the cast can act, except for Dylan McDermott.

It's too bad that Alma Jr from Brokeback Mountain will have to compete in the same category as Jessica Lange, because they both are amazing on that show.
My mom was describing this show to me. She mentioned something about demon/ghost sex and I had to leave the room.

winston
12-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Tonight's SVU has guest star Emmy written all over it.

Ti-Amie
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM

Did it ever. It was awesome.

nelslus
12-07-2011, 10:01 PM

?!???!

With the show as it is- even if it were great- I don't think it'd have much of a chance at the Emmys- even nominations- way too horror far out for the typical Emmy voter. I still watch the show- but, imo, it's way too much of a hotmess. Some very good stuff mixed in with beyond-silliness. Definitely some good performances, and some not as good. Always love to see Dennis O'Hare- albeit he'll apparently never get a chance to play a non-circus-freakshow now. And, I love me some Jessica Lange still- but, her face hasn't moved since the Reagan era. Enjoyable performance at times- but way too over-the-top campy at other times (and please don't get me started on that it AIN'T Tennessee Williams this time around accent, Jessica)- too inconsistent. (Still, I COULD see her get nominated.) (AND, feel free to remind me of this post when the damned show gets 500 Emmy nominations for all I know.)

nelslus
12-07-2011, 10:10 PM

PLEASE forgive me all for being such an apparent Mr. Grouchy-Pants recently.....but, really? SVU has been so horrible imo the last few years. Will have to check this episode out now. I'm assuming you both are talking about Treat Williams? (I googled to find out who the guest star was.) If so, I'd love it if he was finally given a part these days worthy of his talents.

Charlie02123
12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
?!???!

With the show as it is- even if it were great- I don't think it'd have much of a chance at the Emmys- even nominations- way too horror far out for the typical Emmy voter. I still watch the show- but, imo, it's way too much of a hotmess. Some very good stuff mixed in with beyond-silliness. Definitely some good performances, and some not as good. Always love to see Dennis O'Hare- albeit he'll apparently never get a chance to play a non-circus-freakshow now. And, I love me some Jessica Lange still- but, her face hasn't moved since the Reagan era. Enjoyable performance at times- but way too over-the-top campy at other times (and please don't get me started on that it AIN'T Tennessee Williams this time around accent, Jessica)- too inconsistent. (Still, I COULD see her get nominated.) (AND, feel free to remind me of this post when the damned show gets 500 Emmy nominations for all I know.)
I watched an episode or two of the show. It struck me as being the type of show where everything is twists and turns with some grand payoff supposedly down the line that never actually pans out. I imagine it was born on a night where Ryan Murphy had one too many Diet Cokes and stayed up all night in his jammies going "What if a side character is really normal but actually he's a ghost but actually he's an alien but actually he's a llama! And actually it's the year 1800 but they're having a vision of the future, but actually it's all the dream of a gerbil!"

Charlie02123
12-07-2011, 10:45 PM
About Dennis O Hare AND Law and Order:

L&O is notorious for recycling their guest stars as different characters. A lot of heavy hitters in later seasons or spin offs got their start as a junkie/witness earlier. Normally they stick to only two or three different characters for the same actor, but O Hare got a crazy number like five or six. He's f'ing phenomenal in all of them. He was a paranoid schizophrenic who killed a bunch of people off his meds but was an awesome lawyer on his meds in one episode. He was a leader of a racist group in another. I'd watch him read the phone book.

The L&O franchise is so formulaic that guest stars are a huge part of keeping it fresh. The guest stars win Emmys far more frequently than the main actors (I believe Mariska Hargitay is the only actor to ever actually win). In the SVU world, Cynthia Nixon, Marcia Gay Harden, and Barbara Barrie have given awe inspiring performances. I just watched the classic L&O season 4 finale that had a riveting guest performance from Allison Janney (love her).

If you have Netflix streaming or are savvy enough to find episodes online, I definitely recommend looking up the episodes with nominated guest stars and checking those out.

Kirkus
12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I gave American Horror a shot, mainly because I really like Connie Britton. But I just didn't care for it. I think the shot of McDermott's ass in the first episode might have put me off.

shtexas
12-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I like American Horror Story. Adding too many ghosts too fast, though. And I don't like Connie Britton as such a victim.

As far as it sweeping the Emmys, no. But, Jessica Lange should be adding one to her awards showcase.

Charlie02123
12-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I gave American Horror a shot, mainly because I really like Connie Britton. But I just didn't care for it. I think the shot of McDermott's ass in the first episode might have put me off.
Put you off... to the bedroom? :p

Kirkus
12-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Put you off... to the bedroom? :p
Oh good God no!! :vomit:

JTContinental
12-08-2011, 07:18 PM
?!???!

I think the whole supporting cast is great, and Connie Britton is a critic's darling. Plus, the show's got pedigree, which should do a lot to cancel out the kinda out-there stuff that happens on the show.

Ti-Amie
12-08-2011, 11:32 PM
I've never watched Glee. But the Study Group on "Community" did an awesome job spoofing the show.

It's my understanding the shows creator hates Glee. Still some are saying last nights episode was the best Glee episode ever.

omess
12-09-2011, 04:13 AM
Preview of Game of thrones 2 http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones/about/video/in-production.html/eNrjcmbOYM7XLMtMSc13zEvMqSzJTHbOzytJrShhLlTPz0mBCQ Ykpqf6JeamcjIysjGySSeWluQX5CRW2pYUlaayMQIAVKYXOA== We have to wait four more months :(:(:(

ptmcmahon
12-09-2011, 05:54 AM
The Production Diary (http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/) helps a little bit too.

Kirkus
12-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I've never watched Glee. But the Study Group on "Community" did an awesome job spoofing the show.

It's my understanding the shows creator hates Glee. Still some are saying last nights episode was the best Glee episode ever.
I was a huge Glee fan until this season. Now I tend to fast-forward through the story and only watch the music.

JTContinental
12-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I was a huge Glee fan until this season. Now I tend to fast-forward through the story and only watch the music.

I used to fast forward through the music and only watch the story. However, this season it has landed on my drop list, as well as Nikita, which is really bad this year.

Ti-Amie
12-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Odd about Nikita isn't it? I dropped it too.

I'm sure you can find last nights Community on line somewhere. It's worth it.

Miles
12-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I used to fast forward through the music and only watch the story. However, this season it has landed on my drop list, as well as Nikita, which is really bad this year.

Odd about Nikita isn't it? I dropped it too.

I'm sure you can find last nights Community on line somewhere. It's worth it.

My friend was the in-house director/producer on the show last year and left because the daily grind was just too much for him.

Charlie02123
12-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm surprised a few of you dropped Glee. I think it's become appointment television again. After a few episodes of the 2nd season, I just glanced at recaps the next day and watched the occasional song clip. I've watched every episode in the third season. Hiring a team of writers is the best thing that could have happened to the show.

Jay
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Oh good God no!! :vomit:
Seriously? You don't find him attractive?
I think he's still pretty attractive.

(And I always have a special place in my heart for fellow Cap risings)

I'm surprised a few of you dropped Glee. I think it's become appointment television again. After a few episodes of the 2nd season, I just glanced at recaps the next day and watched the occasional song clip. I've watched every episode in the third season. Hiring a team of writers is the best thing that could have happened to the show.

Really? I think it's totally jumped the shark. I watched the episode where Santana came out to her grandmother (who was totally miscast, btw. They should have had someone who looked more like Santana, but I digress), and it was awful.

nelslus
12-11-2011, 02:17 PM
OK, caught the latest SVU episode online. Definitely one of their strongest shows in many years. Superb job from Treat Williams.

munchin
12-13-2011, 10:26 AM
This season of Dexter has been an excellent return to form. I'm very pleased and MAN I can't wait for the season finale.

mmmm8
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
This season of Dexter has been an excellent return to form. I'm very pleased and MAN I can't wait for the season finale.

The Debra plotline has been weird, but other than that, it´s been great! Feels short, though

dryrunguy
12-13-2011, 12:25 PM
The Debra plotline has been weird, but other than that, it´s been great! Feels short, though

I'm less excited about this season than some others. But it's still great. They'll never top the Trinity season.

I somehow missed last week's episodes of both Dexter and Homeland. I watched a repeat of both of the last episodes last night... At the beginning of Homeland, I was completely lost... :mad:

munchin
12-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I'm less excited about this season than some others. But it's still great. They'll never top the Trinity season.

I somehow missed last week's episodes of both Dexter and Homeland. I watched a repeat of both of the last episodes last night... At the beginning of Homeland, I was completely lost... :mad:

No, they will not.

But as long as they keep Julia Stiles out of it, I'll be fine.

dryrunguy
12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
No, they will not.

But as long as they keep Julia Stiles out of it, I'll be fine.

I love Julia!!! :)

munchin
12-13-2011, 02:33 PM
I love Julia!!! :)

For me, she was the Scrappy-Doo of that show. Never cared for her.

shtexas
12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Warning!

Possible SPOILER

Will we follow American Horror Story with a new family next season?

Jay
12-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Warning!

Possible SPOILER

No need to warn.
"**Spoilers**" is already in the title ;)

:::::

I really should get into American Horror Story. It sounds like something I'd love.

shtexas
12-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Person Of Interest is improving now that they are utilizing Taraji P. Henson more. I knew they didn't sign her up to simply be the clueless detective.

Ti-Amie
12-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Person Of Interest is improving now that they are utilizing Taraji P. Henson more. I knew they didn't sign her up to simply be the clueless detective.

Liked last weeks episode and look forward to this weeks. It's on my DVR so I can enjoy it over the weekend. Taraji is a very good actress.

ptmcmahon
12-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Still have episode 1 on laptop waiting for me to get around to watching it :)

Ti-Amie
12-16-2011, 11:49 PM
I caved. I watched the pilot of Friday Night Lights. I got interrupted watching Ep 2 otherwise I might still be watching. My favorite scenes were the church services showing that Sunday is still the most segregated day of the week without hitting you over the head.

Great acting.

JTContinental
12-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Warning!

Possible SPOILER

I predicted it at the beginning of the season. It just felt right.

Ti-Amie
12-17-2011, 10:26 PM

They're all acting so well now. That was a great episode.

Ti-Amie
12-19-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm not sure I want to watch "Misfits" S4. I mean did they have to go there? :( :mad:

munchin
12-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Dexter's season finale was pretty shocking. They finally went to the place they've been teasing they going to go for 5 years. Next season is going to be fascinating.

mmmm8
12-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Dexter's season finale was pretty shocking. They finally went to the place they've been teasing they going to go for 5 years. Next season is going to be fascinating.

Yeah. And it kind of justified the weird stuff with Deb's feelings.

I thought Colin Hanks was really good in that episode.

Ti-Amie
12-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Even though "spoilers" is in the title there may be people who haven't seen "Dexter" yet. Her is an interview with the showrunners about last night.

On Sunday night’s Dexter finale, Debra confessed to having non-brotherly love for Dexter, then caught him in the act of ritualistically murdering the Doomsday Killer. Below, showrunner Scott Buck talks to EW about the sixth season, that game-changing final scene and what it might all mean for the final two seasons:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Please tell me that final scene wasn’t, like, a dream or something.

Buck: No, we finally did it. It was a long time coming and we finally pulled the trigger.

Will the next season start, I hope, right where this one left off?

Buck: We’ll certainly start somewhere very close to that point addressing all these issues. We started this season one year later and we’re certainly not going to do that.

Let’s back up: Debra having romantic feelings for Dexter. How did that story idea come about?

Buck: It’s actually an idea that’s been discussed in the writers room years ago, like starting in season two, because it always felt it — that this character was in love with her brother. And like Debra, we ignored it for a long time and it just kept coming back until we were all in agreement that it was just in the DNA of that character of why she was the way she was. It felt like it was finally time to tackle that issue.

It’s tough to imagine Dexter feeling the same way about her.

Buck: I don’t think Dexter has ever even considered those feelings. I don’t think he’s ever had those feelings for anyone, except, perhaps, a little bit for Lumen. But as far as Dexter being in love with someone, that’s just not the kind of person he is. I don’t think Dexter believes he’s capable of love like the way Debra feels.

Since Debra is a detective, did you toy with the idea of having her gradually figure things out over the course of a season instead of finding out all at once?

Buck: It feels like she’s been gradually finding out things for years except not willing to look at them. She is a detective, she is very smart, but I don’t believe she believes he might be a killer in this way. But there was always something tugging at her mind that there was more to Dexter than she realized. So let’s get it over with and pull the curtain off on that. It just seemed like a more fun and interesting way to go.

Dex trying to keep the Doomsday Killers himself. He’s often done that to some degree, but we spent a lot of time with Debra this season so it made him seem more obstructionist than usual. Were you guys conscious of that?
Buck: Yes, it was a very specific storyline for one episode that there might be chemical weapons involved that this was bigger than what he could ever deal and he had to wrestle with whether to give it up or not. So we saw a progression in the character of Dexter, that he was willing to step away from his own need for the greater good. Of course, it all came back around and it fell back in his lap once again.

[Showtime entertainment president] David Nevins told us the last couple episodes sets into motion a storyline that take us through the show’s end game. Do you pretty much know the major beats — including the ending — at this point?

Buck: Our ending, no. There’s only several ways we can end this show, and we all have our feelings about how it could end. There’s quite a few people involved at this point and it’s a matter of us sitting down and figuring out how this show should end. We’re all clearly heading in one direction, but that grand finale has not been decided yet.

Will next season have another Big Bad, or will this move change the show in some fundamental way and the format of the show will feel different?

One advantage we have is we most likely have two seasons and then we’re out, so we can start working toward the end game. We haven’t even begun to consider who the bad guys are, but we are open to changing formats. We don’t feel like we need to stick to something just because we did it in previous seasons, though at the same time we don’t feel like we can’t do something just because we have done something similar before.

What are the storytelling goals for the next couple seasons?

Dexter is always a show that’s less about plot twists and much more about characters. Our allegiance is always most strongly to the character of Dexter Morgan. What’s the most satisfying, honest place to take Dexter over the next two years.

The creepy computer guy. I’m assuming he mailed the hand because he’s infatuated with serial killers and Dexter, or is there something more I should be reading into that?
Well, he had no idea Dexter is a serial killer — at least, not to our knowledge. I think he’s just got this weird love-to-hate thing for Dexter and has latched onto him and is seeking his approval. But to send the hand like that, we have no idea what kind of message he’s sending. At this point, it’s just to arouse our suspicion about who is this guy and what are his intentions.

In the finale on top of the skyscraper, are we to assume Dexter had a dummy needle prepared, so that’s why he wasn’t unconscious after injecting himself?

It was not a dummy needle. We didn’t answer that question, but we had an answer for it. It was just a little awkward to slip it into the footage. We showed him emptying the needle seconds beforehand, but it didn’t look right [in post-production]. We tried to address it in voiceover, it just became awkward and cumbersome.

There were no Harry scenes in the finale. What’s the right amount, how much is too much, in terms of having those in the show?

It’s a fine line. We feel like we need him. I’m a huge fan of James Remar, though it’s a character you have to be very judicious with as it’s a fine line. Sometimes it’s too easy to cut to Harry and have Dexter explain what he’s thinking or feeling when there are sometimes more artful ways of doing that.

Anything that’s been wondered about on the comment boards this season that you’d like to address?

I find it kind of interesting that people are uneasy about Deb’s love toward her brother. That on a show about serial killers, it’s the idea of love that makes people more uncomfortable. We did some research on that among adopted siblings: It does exist and it does happen, and it does create a very awkward situation.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/19/dexter-finale-interview/

Ti-Amie
01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Downton Abbey. I'm hooked. That is all.

mmmm8
01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Downton Abbey. I'm hooked. That is all.

You welcome/I'm sorry.

tobiasfunke
01-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I think we're at the point in season 2 where DA goes a little of the rails, according to several reviews I've read. Sticking with it though, because how could you not? I thought the last twist with Cousin Matthew was a little flaccid (rim-shot).

Hold me, Bates!

mmmm8
01-30-2012, 02:14 PM
I think we're at the point in season 2 where DA goes a little of the rails, according to several reviews I've read. Sticking with it though, because how could you not? I thought the last twist with Cousin Matthew was a little flaccid (rim-shot).

Hold me, Bates!

It does get cheesier and cheesier (just wait till this winter´s Christmas special!) but you know you won´t give it up

JTContinental
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
We have also jumped on the Downton Abbey train, although we are only two episodes in so far.

Ti-Amie
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm three episodes in. I'm in love with Bates.

Edmond Dantès
01-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Shirley MacLaine is going to be in S3 of Downton.

Moose
01-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Completely hooked. As far as I'm concerned Season 2 has been outstanding through this week's episode (I am watching Season 2 on PBS's Sunday night Masterpiece broadcast, and trying to avoid jumping ahead), though I understand people find it less fulfilling than Season 1.

I think the show does some relationships spectacularly. My favorites pairings (even though they are not necessarily my favorite characters) are Thomas and O'Brien, and Daisy and Mrs. Pattmore - and of course Matthew and Mary. Their brief duet at the conclusion of Episode 3/4 was a highlight of the season for me.

shtexas
02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Watched the two-hour premiere of The River last night. Didn't much care for it, and even though it is only a limited run series, I may not stick with it. I've always had a problem with the mixing of documentary style and horror. A lot of people think it makes things more frightening. I find it distracting.

Ti-Amie
02-08-2012, 09:30 AM
"Person of Interest" continues to excel. It's must see TV for me.

I started watching "House" again and I'm surprised that they've "gone there" with House. It's dark, well acted, and a treat. It's a great lead in to "Alcatraz".

I have to mention "Castle". They did one of those back to the future episodes with all the leads playing characters in the 1940's as well as in the present day. It's a big risk and I have to say they pulled it off brilliantly. The lead actress Stana Katic can't act but Nathan Fillion and the supporting cast work hard and minimize her effect.

"Justified" has picked up right where it left off. The acting, if anything, is better, and that's saying a lot after the first two seasons.

munchin
02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
I watched The Simpsons for the first time in a while, since it was the 500th episode (!!!!!) - or rather I've been watching a ton of old episodes lately (just finished the first 9 seasons, actually) but haven't been keeping up with the last 5 or 6 seasons.

I was really blown away by how bad it was. I stopped watching around season 12, because the quality was starting to diminish but this was really disappointing and kind of awful. Except for the great couch gag, it was merely borderline funny at times - that's the nicest thing I can say about the episode. It was nearly nonsensical, they're recycling jokes from older seasons at an alarming rate (not alluding to - using the same joke) and the voice actors sound really weird when you have just watched older episodes. The show is an institution and maybe it's just a weak stretch like other long-running shows have gone through and survived and improved on (like SNL...several times) but if this is what they're churning out each week, I'm not even gonna start DVR'ing it (I just got DVR - it's very exciting).

ptmcmahon
02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
I meant to make it a point to watch the 500th one as well, but didn't get to it. I probably will still anyways. I used to never miss it but haven't watched regularly for years. The few I saw didn't seem as good as the old ones, but they weren't terrible either...will watch this one and see I guess!

Moose
02-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Thoughts on the wrap of S2 of "Downton"? Overall, I enjoyed, though I am 1) rapidly growing tired of Thomas, and 2) did not miss Branson and Lady Sybil one bit.

I'm completely in love with Daisy.

mmmm8
02-20-2012, 01:07 PM
Thoughts on the wrap of S2 of "Downton"? Overall, I enjoyed, though I am 1) rapidly growing tired of Thomas, and 2) did not miss Branson and Lady Sybil one bit.

find and watch the Christmas special now.

JTContinental
02-20-2012, 03:21 PM

I also don't miss Branson and Sybil, but otherwise I'm the exact opposite: Thomas is one of my favorite characters and Daisy drives me insane. :cheesy:

Moose
02-20-2012, 03:49 PM
find and watch the Christmas special now.

It ran last night here, M8. I guess technically last weeks broadcast was the season finale, with the Christmas special being a one-off. Overall, it left me very pleased, and eager for Season 3.

ptmcmahon
02-20-2012, 09:30 PM
I watched The Simpsons for the first time in a while, since it was the 500th episode (!!!!!) - or rather I've been watching a ton of old episodes lately (just finished the first 9 seasons, actually) but haven't been keeping up with the last 5 or 6 seasons.

I was really blown away by how bad it was.

I just watched myself. I wouldn't say awful...it was ...ok. Not great though and certainly not 500th episode special.

mmmm8
02-20-2012, 11:28 PM
It ran last night here, M8. I guess technically last weeks broadcast was the season finale, with the Christmas special being a one-off. Overall, it left me very pleased, and eager for Season 3.

I thought the ending of that was a cop-out, but the sap in me loved the outcome, of course.

Kirkus
02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm confused... I keep hearing about the Downton Abbey Christmas Special. Was the season finale the same as the Christmas special, or is there an 8th episode out there somewhere that I haven't seen? If they're one and the same, why are people calling it a special.

The only minor negative thing I can say about DA is that so many subplots that would normally take American series several episodes to develop come and go in one episode of DA. This makes those subplots seem forced to me.

But that's a minor thing when compared to how much I enjoy it.

(And William's eyes!!! Hello!!)

JTContinental
02-21-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm confused... I keep hearing about the Downton Abbey Christmas Special. Was the season finale the same as the Christmas special, or is there an 8th episode out there somewhere that I haven't seen? If they're one and the same, why are people calling it a special.

I think the one they showed last night was the Christmas special in Great Britain, but they just tacked it on to the end of the season for the PBS version because it's not Christmas. The British season two finale was the one they showed two weeks ago.

Kirkus
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I think the one they showed last night was the Christmas special in Great Britain, but they just tacked it on to the end of the season for the PBS version because it's not Christmas. The British season two finale was the one they showed two weeks ago.
Ahhh. OK. Even that's kind of weird because British series usually go 7 episodes, which, with the "Christmas Special" this one did.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing an episode. :)

mmmm8
02-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Ahhh. OK. Even that's kind of weird because British series usually go 7 episodes, which, with the "Christmas Special" this one did.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing an episode. :)

I think both seasons were 6 eps, so you should be fine with the 7th being the special :)

JTContinental
02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Last night's Southland was one of the series' best, IMO. Lucy Liu should probably get an Emmy nom.

Scotty
02-29-2012, 09:18 PM
omg, on tonight's "Modern Family" Mitchell throws a surprise party for Cam, who (like mmmm8) is a leap year baby. It's a Wizard of Oz theme, complete with servers dressed up like characters from the movie.

2 show up, most of the way into their flying monkey costumes, and utter 5 memorable words, completely deadpan:

"Hey."
"Hey."
"We're the monkeys."

Despite today's Davy Jones news, I nearly fell off the couch laughing.

mmmm8
03-01-2012, 08:36 AM
omg, on tonight's "Modern Family" Mitchell throws a surprise party for Cam, who (like mmmm8) is a leap year baby. It's a Wizard of Oz theme, complete with servers dressed up like characters from the movie.

2 show up, most of the way into their flying monkey costumes, and utter 5 memorable words, completely deadpan:

"Hey."
"Hey."
"We're the monkeys."

Despite today's Davy Jones news, I nearly fell off the couch laughing.

I liked that episode, as well as 30 Rock's Leap Day episode :)

ptmcmahon
03-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Did Awake debut tonight? Anyone watch? I was a big fan of Jason Isaacs in Brotherhood so was thinking about watching this one.

(For the record, I still haven't started Person of Interest yet.)

Scotty
03-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Did Awake debut tonight? Anyone watch? I was a big fan of Jason Isaacs in Brotherhood so was thinking about watching this one.

(For the record, I still haven't started Person of Interest yet.)

I watched. I'll watch again.

The premise is very interesting. Not sure yet how I feel about the gimmick of clues/coincidences in one "world" helping solve a case in the other world.

Ti-Amie
03-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Sounds like "Fringe" light.

Edmond Dantès
03-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Hello to Jason Isaacs! :megaphone: :unworthy:

Moose
03-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Lost's Yunjin Kim Cast in ABC's Mistresses
By Brett Smiley

Life after Lost has been good for its cast. The beautiful Yunjin Kim, who played Sun on ABC's time-traveling drama, has been cast in the ABC series Mistresses set to debut in summer 2013. The British soap opera adaptation will follow four scandalous women who make morally questionable decisions in their love lives.

Variety notes that Kim joins three other Lost alums to join another ABC show: Terry O'Quinn on 666 Park Avenue, Emilie De Ravin on Americana and Alan Dale on Beauty and the Beast. Meanwhile Daniel Dae Kim's Hawaii Five-0 has been renewed by CBS for a third season and Evangeline Lilly scored a role in the upcoming Hobbit series. Best of all, Jorge Garcia managed to get cast as his Lost character, Hurley, on Fox's Alcatraz.

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/mistresses-yunjin-kim-abc.html

I loved Sun. So glad she is coming back to TV. Also, they did not mention that Michael Emerson is starring on "Person Of Interest". The "Lost" cast has done well.

shtexas
03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Lost cast deserves it. They were all so good. I stopped watching Alcatraz, but love Person of Interest and still watch Hawaii Five-O (and particularly enjoyed the first half of this season with Terry O'Quinn there too).

Moose
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Lost cast deserves it. They were all so good. I stopped watching Alcatraz, but love Person of Interest and still watch Hawaii Five-O (and particularly enjoyed the first half of this season with Terry O'Quinn there too).

Boone (Ian Sommerhalder) is also starring in Vampire Diaries. I forgot about him.

Whenever I think of him, I always think of your mother, shtexas :)

shtexas
03-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Boone (Ian Sommerhalder) is also starring in Vampire Diaries. I forgot about him.

Whenever I think of him, I always think of your mother, shtexas :)

Those eyes got to her.

I've never seen Vampire Diaries, but understand it is very popular for a CW show.

Jay
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
Recently noticed that Misfits and Skins UK are on Hulu now! Woot.

tinamarie
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Have we talked about Happy Endings? I started watching two weeks ago and am already through to the last aired episode. For me, easily the funniest show on TV right now.

Edmond Dantès
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Have we talked about Happy Endings? I started watching two weeks ago and am already through to the last aired episode. For me, easily the funniest show on TV right now.Yeah, a few of us have said we really like it. I just watched the 'Valentines Day' episode last night. Was fantastic :cheesy:

Show is amazingly well scripted and the cast is very likeable.

Casey Wilson

:smitten:

ah-mah-zing :)

mmmm8
03-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Have we talked about Happy Endings? I started watching two weeks ago and am already through to the last aired episode. For me, easily the funniest show on TV right now.

I hope you watched the first season as well. It aired here over the summer and went nearly unnoticed and it´s rather great.

shtexas
03-19-2012, 05:43 PM

Love it!

Worried about its ratings. But, I think they are going to give it time to grow.

tobiasfunke
03-19-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that I am the only Pretty Little Liars fan here, right? (It's so good, though!)

Ti-Amie
03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
"Shameless" has gone places I never expected American television to go. Watching it gets you so depressed but at the end you're anxious for more. William H. Macy, Emmy Rossum, hell the entire cast just knocks it out of the park every episode.

As for my other fave show "Justified" all I can say is it's gonna get real. The question the writers ask the actors every week is to make their script live. The actors do it, and then some. I thought they couldn't top S1. Then I thought they couldn't top S2. Now I think they'll never top this season. It's been renewed for a 4th season. There are no heroes. And everyone feels they're justified in doing what they do.

I wish the networks would stop messing with their schedules. No "Fringe". No "Person of Interest". Sigh.

tinamarie
03-20-2012, 01:10 PM
I hope you watched the first season as well. It aired here over the summer and went nearly unnoticed and it´s rather great.

I did and it was!
I even had to stop watching the show during breakfast after quite a few uncontrolled laughing--> choking incidents:).

Love it!

Worried about its ratings. But, I think they are going to give it time to grow.

They better!

mmmm8
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
NBC is so desperate they created a Betty White-hosted version of 'Punk'd'

It is, to be fair, cleverly titled 'Off their rockers.'

Kirkus
03-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Caught the premier of "Missing" tonight. I. Love. Ashley. Judd.

tobiasfunke
03-23-2012, 06:32 AM
NBC is so desperate they created a Betty White-hosted version of 'Punk'd'

It is, to be fair, cleverly titled 'Off their rockers.'
No way! That sounds like a show the NBC on 30 Rock would create. Not, you know, the real NBC...

Edmond Dantès
03-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Sad thing is, I could well see it rating better than most of their acclaimed shows (the few they have).

JTContinental
03-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Craig and I just watched the first three episodes of GCB last night. It was pretty bad, but Kristen Chenowith is, of course, terrific. I'm hoping that one of these days she'll get a role on a show that will stick.

Martini4me
03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Mad Men returns tonight.

"As Mad Men returns after a 17-month hiatus, fans of the series eagerly await the news: Will ad man Don Draper’s impetuous engagement to his secretary, Megan, produce a happy marriage? Is there a future for lonely-heart copywriter Peggy Olson with her new leftie boyfriend? How will coronary-prone partner Roger Sterling react if he finds out office manager and chief bombshell Joan Harris did not abort his baby? Will Joan’s husband survive Vietnam – and will the agency survive the loss of top client Lucky Strike?

......"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/television/mad-men-returns-do-you-want-to-know-a-secret/article2379376/?from=2376937

tobiasfunke
03-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah, Mad Men, yeaahhhhhh! I've missed this show so much.

Here is a 7 minute recap of the series so far http://www.slate.com/articles/video/slate_v/2012/03/mad_men_retold_in_7_minutes_video_.html

Martini4me
03-25-2012, 03:19 PM
The gin is (always) in the fridge.

I just put the martini glass in the freezer. Should be nice and cold by 9:00.

Ti-Amie
04-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Nothing here about "Scandal"?

I found it wordy and rushed since they had to introduce all the characters and other than the case of the week the introduced the Big Affair Secret. But the bones are there for a very good night time soap.

Ms Washington is not only very attractive but she is able to be the lead.

Ti-Amie
04-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Neil McDonough's acting on "Justified" is simply jaw dropping. His descent into madness/drug addiction has been stunning to wat in the train wreck sense of stunning.

They have approached the matter of race this year with a sensitivity and realism rarely seen on television. There are no caricatures on either side just people who live in the same space and have worked things out.

They've also focused on violence against women, the effect of the pill mills on the locals, and yet the pace is that of real life.

It's been an amazing season on top of the first two that were equally amazing. The season finale is Tuesday.

JTContinental
04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Nothing here about "Scandal"?

I found it wordy and rushed since they had to introduce all the characters and other than the case of the week the introduced the Big Affair Secret. But the bones are there for a very good night time soap.

Ms Washington is not only very attractive but she is able to be the lead.

I thought the same thing. I had trouble following it for the first 20 minutes or so because they were all talking so fast, but finally my brain caught up, and I enjoyed it.

shtexas
04-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I think it's sad that after all those years on the air, the probable series finale for CSI:Miami was delayed 52 minutes and so nobody really watched.

Ti-Amie
04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
I think it's sad that after all those years on the air, the probable series finale for CSI:Miami was delayed 52 minutes and so nobody really watched.

That is sad.

Kirkus
04-09-2012, 09:43 PM
It must have aired on CBS.

Ti-Amie
04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
"Community" spoofed "Law & Order" tonight with the approval and assist of Dick Wolf. Hi-larious.

The ending was totally unexpected though.

Ti-Amie
05-08-2012, 05:27 PM
PBS is finally airing the second series of "Sherlock" starting with "A Scandal in Belgravia". It's rare to see sexuality in all it's nuance explored in a television presentation. I've watched it twice and it will stand a third viewing.

For a discussion here's an article.

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/05/07/479306/steven-moffat-on-sherlocks-return-the-holmes-watson-love-story-and-updating-the-first-supervillain/

JTContinental
05-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Michael Ausellio reports new seasons have been ordered for Nikita, Gossip Girl (a shortened final season), and Scandal, while Ringer, Harry's Law and GCB have all been canceled.

Moose
06-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I have about zero expectations for it, but I'm still going to tune in to the "Dallas" revival tonight. There was a stretch where it was among the very best things on TV. So I'm curious what happens with this.

Daily Beast has a great story with Linda Gray, Larry Hagman and Patrick Duffy. Seems most of the press leading up to the debut tonight has focused on them, rather than the newer stars (though the NY TiImes had a nice profile on the two female leads this past weekend):

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/06/13/larry-hagman-linda-gray-patrick-duffy-on-the-glory-days-of-dallas.html

shtexas
06-13-2012, 01:17 PM
For some reason, I'm not interested.

JTContinental
06-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Craig told me today that AMC has all but said next week's episode of The Killing will be its last, but I don't have a link to document it. What started out as a great show was totally ruined entirely in by the production team.

munchin
06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
NBC is rebooting The Munsters for some unknowable reason and Roger Ebert tweeted this line from TV Guide that made me laugh out loud: "The Munsters" re-do on NBC "will maintain the core elements of the original series, although it will now be an hour-long drama." (TV Guide)

lol, what!?!

JTContinental
06-13-2012, 04:04 PM
NBC is rebooting The Munsters for some unknowable reason and Roger Ebert tweeted this line from TV Guide that made me laugh out loud: "The Munsters" re-do on NBC "will maintain the core elements of the original series, although it will now be an hour-long drama." (TV Guide)

lol, what!?!

Jerry O'Connell and Porsche de Rossi have been cast as Herman and Lily.

Kirkus
06-13-2012, 05:36 PM

lol, what!?!

:hyst:

Jerry O'Connell and Porsche de Rossi have been cast as Herman and Lily.

Noooo!

Ti-Amie
08-13-2012, 06:19 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Nine Nobel Peace Prize winners are speaking out against a new NBC competition series they say treats military maneuvers like athletic events.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu and the other Nobel laureates protested in an open letter that the show, "Stars and Stripes," glorifies war and armed violence.

The series, premiering on NBC on Monday night, pairs celebrities with U.S. military personnel for simulated military challenges. Celebrity participants include boxing champion Laila Ali, Superman actor Dean Cain, Olympic gold medalist Picabo Street and former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's husband, Todd Palin.

The program is hosted by retired Army Gen. Wesley Clark.

"I'm doing this series for one reason," says Clark at the top of the show - "to introduce you, the American people, to the individuals that sacrifice so much for all of us."

The series is billed on its website as a "fast-paced competition" whose contestants "will gather at a remote training facility where they will be challenged to execute complicated missions inspired by real military exercises."

"Stars Earn Stripes" says it "pays homage to the men and women who serve in the U.S. armed forces and our first-responder services."

The letter, sent Monday to Clark, NBC boss Robert Greenblatt, producer Mark Burnett and others connected with the show, argues "this program pays homage to no one anywhere" and criticizes it for "trying to somehow sanitize war by likening it to an athletic competition."

The letter calls for NBC to stop airing the series.

NBC, responding to the charges, said that "Stars Earn Stripes" is "about thanking the young Americans who are in harm's way every day."

"This show is not a glorification of war, but a glorification of service," NBC said in a statement.

Besides Tutu, signers of the letter are Jody Williams, Mairead Maguire, Shirin Ebadi, Jose Ramos-Horta, Adolfo Perez Esquivel, Oscar Arias Sanchez, Rigoberta Menchu Tum and Betty Williams.

The Nobel laureates also declared their support for a protest against the show outside NBC's Rockefeller Center headquarters in Manhattan.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TV_STARS_EARN_STRIPES_OUTCRY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

mmmm8
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I had seen the previews but had no idea Wesley Clark was hosting it. That's disturbing.

I get the Nobel laureates point, but I really don't think THIS is what their power should go to protesting.

owendonovan
08-13-2012, 10:04 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_TV_STARS_EARN_STRIPES_OUTCRY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Cool, this right in line with the latest spate of mass(ish) killings in the US. Everyone needs more guns and this show will portray how much fun it is to be shot at and to shoot at and blow crap up, how can anyone complain about that? Maybe an arson, kidnapping, or assault show will be next? How from "The Running Man" are we?