PDA

View Full Version : 2011 USO SkanTest

PeterSkan
08-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Good Grief!! The USO is upon us and I'm just posting this now. But there's lots of time to enter, and whether you're an old hand at this or a newbie, you're more than welcome to participate.

To begin with ... thanks as always to the gracious leadership here at TAT for allowing me to promote the contest here. Many of the posters here are regular SkanTest participants, and the TAT crowd typically does very well.

Secondly, to the previous winners of this year's contests ... have no fear, your prize is ordered and on its way to me [finally]. But it is a nice one, so well worth the wait :)

Thirdly, the rumoured rule change is true. We have slightly modified the 30-rank rule to require that the sum of ranks [note, not seeds - we now use ranking instead of seeding] for each of the ATP and WTA equals at least 15. So now choosing Serena and then the top three guys. This is again in the interest of diversifying the team composition. Otherwise, everything is as per usual.

Fourthly, the all-time stats have been updated, so you might want to check that out.

Above all ... get your entries in! The winner, as usual will benefit from a modest prize of my selection from the product lines of the Royal Canadian Mint.

The leader after each round will get to nominate the tiers for the next round. I'm thinking of using the stages of the New York Marathon to guide us ;)

[/URL]Finally ... here's the link to post your entry:

[url]http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanteam_submit.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest (http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanteam_submit.php?t_name=2011_Wimbledon_SkanCanT est)

Best wishes to all contestants in the final SlamTest of 2011

Peter

PeterSkan
08-27-2011, 09:32 PM
bump ... all right TAT get them entries in. Time's a'wasting!

omess
08-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Hard this time around to pick a team

omess
08-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Nice rule change, I liked it.

oploskoffie
08-28-2011, 06:08 AM
Hard this time around to pick a team

A bit, yeah! Can't remember the last time the total ranking for my team was this high, either :cheesy:

PeterSkan
08-28-2011, 10:17 AM
bump for 41 teams ... join the ensemble and let's get it done TAT

Charlie02123
08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice rule change, I liked it.
I'm so glad you posted this. I would have missed it completely.

I like it too!

TennisAnyone74
08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Thirdly, the rumoured rule change is true. We have slightly modified the 30-rank rule to require that the sum of ranks [note, not seeds - we now use ranking instead of seeding] for each of the ATP and WTA equals at least 15. So now choosing Serena and then the top three guys. This is again in the interest of diversifying the team composition. Otherwise, everything is as per usual.
Peter

Peter,

That second sentence in the highlighted portion above is incomplete, so I just want to make sure that I understand this rule change. Are you saying that your 3 ATP picks have to total 15 points in ranking and your 3 WTA picks have to total 15 points in ranking for a total of 30 points? Thanks.

TA

omess
08-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Peter,

That second sentence in the highlighted portion above is incomplete, so I just want to make sure that I understand this rule change. Are you saying that your 3 ATP picks have to total 15 points in ranking and your 3 WTA picks have to total 15 points in ranking for a total of 30 points? Thanks.

TA

At least 15 but it can be more.

For ex Djokovic, #1, Nadal # 2, Del Potro #18=21; W0zniacki#1, Zvonerava#2, Serena #29=32

--cj--
08-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm in with a ranking total of 81. Court is now in session!

Charlie02123
08-28-2011, 12:57 PM
At least 15 but it can be more.

For ex Djokovic, #1, Nadal # 2, Del Potro #18=21; Wozniacki#1, Zvonerava#2, Serena #29=32
If you used your own team as an example we need to have an intervention for you. ;)

omess
08-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Nope, they will both lose early

Charlie02123
08-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Nope, they will both lose early
Okay good, because I was already gathering your friends and family. ;)

"We all here because we love you! Choosing the top two ranked women in the world is such a cry for help. You're hurting us more than yourself! :cry: :cry: :cry: "

:p

PeterSkan
08-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Sorry for not being clear about the 15-rank rule. Yes - the sum of ranks must equal a minimum of 15 for the three ATP players on your team, and also a minimum of 15 for the three WTA players on your team. What I meant to say was that you couldn't pick Serena as a strategy to meet the old 30-rank rule and the pile on the top three ATP ranks, since the 3 ATP players have to have ranks that sum to 15.

Now that that's clear, everybody get your teams in as the d-line is looming [though we're up to over 60 teams = :)]

Charlie02123
08-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Sorry for not being clear about the 15-rank rule. Yes - the sum of ranks must equal a minimum of 15 for the three ATP players on your team, and also a minimum of 15 for the three WTA players on your team. What I meant to say was that you couldn't pick Serena as a strategy to meet the old 30-rank rule and the pile on the top three ATP ranks, since the 3 ATP players have to have ranks that sum to 15.

Now that that's clear, everybody get your teams in as the d-line is looming [though we're up to over 60 teams = :)]
When entering your team it clears it up. There's a bright red sentence explaining and telling you your total for each side. It's a neat feature. :)

I am in! I'm very curious to see how many pick low ranked players other than Serena and Del Potro.

I was SHOCKED when I filled out my bracket and ended up with Wozniacki as my third female. She owes Petkovic's miniscus (or whatever) a gift basket for making it on the squad.

PeterSkan
08-28-2011, 09:32 PM
bump for 63 teams, but let's get to 75. C'mon TAT, we're missing a few regulars!

oploskoffie
08-29-2011, 01:06 PM
Petra out. Maria not doing all that well...

I'm already regretting not picking Venus :rolleyes:

Martini4me
08-29-2011, 08:02 PM
With Kvitova out in the first round, I'm done for already (after hanging near the top for several rounds in the last couple of majors).

ptmcmahon
08-29-2011, 09:08 PM
I am in! I'm very curious to see how many pick low ranked players other than Serena and Del Potro.

71/75 with Serena. Delpo was only 31/75. 20 went with Tsonga as the next most popular double digit pick. I took Youzhny as somehow I had him making the SFs. Not sure how but...

ptmcmahon
08-30-2011, 07:14 PM
And my Youzhny pick has probably already eliminated me...couldn't even win a single set for me.

TennisAnyone74
08-31-2011, 02:39 PM
mmmm8,

How do we keep doing this? At Wimbledon, we had almost identical team names. Now at the US Open, we have identical teams - just ordered differently. It looks like the way you ordered them is winning, so far!

TA

borenore2
08-31-2011, 07:23 PM
With Kvitova out in the first round, I'm done for already (after hanging near the top for several rounds in the last couple of majors).

I feel much the same about Soderling. I picked the team in a rush and didn't have time to check out any health issues. At least at the Australian I'll have ample time - I'll be on holidays and hopefully catching some of the action in Melbourne.

PeterSkan
08-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Bartoli killed my Skan team today. Then I was victimized by Soderling in the Suicide Pool. And to top it off, I had Cibulkova on the Women's SP.

Not a stellar day for me, that's for sure.

PeterSkan
08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Round 1 is in the bag. Although the standings are up to the minute and include the results of the second round that were played today, you can still get the round by round results. Here's the link to round 1 standings:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanroundranking.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest&rd=1

1. From the starting line on Staten island, the SkanSlam pack moves en masse across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn, TAT's waylandboy-tw in the lead, followed closely by Tat-mate Oposkoffie and TennisGamer's Bianca. RandomSkan trails the field

Way to go, Way! That gives you the honour of naming the four tiers for Round 2. Go for it. PM me your suggestions.

ptmcmahon
08-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Can't believe I'm in 14th despite having a player with -8 points :)

borenore2
08-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Can't believe I'm in 14th despite having a player with -8 points :)

And I'm in equal 6th with a player who didn't even get on court. Only way now is down.

PeterSkan
09-02-2011, 05:15 PM
It's Friday night, day five of the slam, and I can't even post round 2 results in the USO SkanTest because Roddick/Sock round 2 match hasn't even started. At the same time, there's a whole pile of Round 3 matches already in the bag.

Who's in charge of this mess?

Ribbons
09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
It's Friday night, day five of the slam, and I can't even post round 2 results in the USO SkanTest because Roddick/Sock round 2 match hasn't even started. At the same time, there's a whole pile of Round 3 matches already in the bag.

Who's in charge of this mess?

Could be worse. Melzer-Petzschner didn't play first round of Wimbledon until some other teams had already reached QFs...

PeterSkan
09-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Sorry for the delay in posting Round 2 standings, but here we go. The current standings page are up to the minute and therefore include the results of the third round matches that were played today. But you can still get the round by round results. Here's the link to round 2 standings:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanroundranking.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest&rd=2

2. The pool is still pretty tightly packed as it winds its way through the Brooklyn neighborhoods, from Bay Ridge through Sunset Park, Park Slope, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Williamsburg, all the way to Greenpoint, where [if you can believe it] laughing cavalier is in front by a nose, with Cibulkova and Chazzforyou in hot pursuit. In the meantime, RandomSkan is just trudging off the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

1. From the starting line on Staten island, the SkanSlam pack moves en masse across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn, TAT's waylandboy-tw in the lead, followed closely by Tat-mate Oposkoffie and TennisGamer's Bianca. RandomSkan trails the field

All right, LC ... you hae the tier naming rights for Round 3. Let me know what you propose *sigh*

PeterSkan
09-07-2011, 09:21 AM
All the rain delays gave me a breather to catch up on the standings. So even though it's Wednesday, The Round 3 standings are the latest, most current full round results. Well, I've already had the Round 4 tier titles from our current leader - TinaMarie [and congrats, by the way] - and those have been uploaded to the up-to-the-minute rankings. Those standings reflect the Round 4 results posted so far. But, as per usual, you can still get the round by round results. Here's the link to round 3 standings:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanroundranking.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest&rd=3

3. As the course moves across the Pulaski Bridge into Long Island CIty [Queens], TinaMarie dramatically breaks from the pack to snag a solid lead, putting an impressive distance between her two closest rivals, gamerdood and that rascal, PeterSkan. Languishing somewhere behind the pack in Brooklyn is RandomSkan -last seen flipping through magazines at a neighbourhood convenience store.

2. The pool is still pretty tightly packed as it winds its way through the Brooklyn neighborhoods, from Bay Ridge through Sunset Park, Park Slope, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Williamsburg, all the way to Greenpoint, where [if you can believe it] laughing cavalier is in front by a nose, with Cibulkova and Chazzforyou in hot pursuit. In the meantime, RandomSkan is just trudging off the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

PeterSkan
09-08-2011, 06:50 PM
*Finally* we get rthrough Round 4!! And waddayaknow, Tinamarie holds on to the lead. And while I'm skulking about in second place, I don't think I have a chance of catching her, bascially because Lisicki outperformed Bartoli. I just don't think I can make up the difference. So, Tinamarie, fire off your tier title suggestions to me for the next round.

Round 4 standings are here:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanroundranking.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest&rd=4

4. Now past the midway mark, the contestants are now nicely spread out as they cross the East River on the Queensboro Bridge into Manhattan. This is where the real troopers stand out as their mettle is tested by the demands of the course!!! At the head is Tinamarie, followed by PeterSkan and Mmmm8. RandomSkan, meanwhile, is having a leisurely lunch back in Queen's with PeterSkan's daughter DaniSkan.

3. As the course moves across the Pulaski Bridge into Long Island CIty [Queens], TinaMarie dramatically breaks from the pack to snag a solid lead, putting an impressive distance between her two closest rivals, gamerdood and that rascal, PeterSkan. Languishing somewhere behind the pack in Brooklyn is RandomSkan -last seen flipping through magazines at a neighbourhood convenience store.

PeterSkan
09-09-2011, 03:54 PM
That's a pretty quick turnaround through the Quarters, and our stalwart leader Tinamarie is not giving an inch! Meanwhile, Hingisman, bravely championing Federer and Nadal on the men's side, bolts up the ranks to 3rd. Tinamarie, I plugged the tier titles for the QF's, but the honours are still yours to propose the titles for the semi's.

QuarterFinal Standings are here:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanroundranking.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest&rd=5

5. The contestants snake along 1st Avenue in Manhattan, deek into the Bronk by way of the Willis Avenue Bridge, then cross back to Manhattan via the Madison Avenue Bridge before sojourneying into Harlem. Tinamarie holds a solid lead, increasing the gap between her and second-place PeterSkan, with Hingisman making a strong move onto third. Randomskan hails a taxi, to no avail, and saunters alone into Manhattan.

4. Now past the midway mark, the contestants are now nicely spread out as they cross the East River on the Queensboro Bridge into Manhattan. This is where the real troopers stand out as their mettle is tested by the demands of the course!!! At the head is Tinamarie, followed by PeterSkan and Mmmm8. RandomSkan, meanwhile, is having a leisurely lunch back in Queen's with PeterSkan's daughter DaniSkan.

PeterSkan
09-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Wow - Fed had 2 match points against Djokovic and lost. In the semi's. That's a huge swing in points in favour of those who picked Nole and not Fed.

Like me :)

mmmm8
09-10-2011, 04:05 PM
mmmm8,

How do we keep doing this? At Wimbledon, we had almost identical team names. Now at the US Open, we have identical teams - just ordered differently. It looks like the way you ordered them is winning, so far!

TA

Just now saw this. This was actually my third try. The first try already had an identical team, so I re-picked and got another identical team - yours! So, then I changed the order. SO, we would have had the same one again if I wished it right. Of course, it's a team half-ful of totally useless women!

mmmm8
09-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Wait, I was third? And am now in fourth? I don't think I'd ever done this well for more than 1 round in this contest

Not having had internet (I moved) really got me out of the loop!

mmmm8
09-10-2011, 04:08 PM

Love the geography detail, I just came back from taking the Pulaski bridge into LIC like 25 minutes ago :)

TennisAnyone74
09-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Just now saw this. This was actually my third try. The first try already had an identical team, so I re-picked and got another identical team - yours! So, then I changed the order. SO, we would have had the same one again if I wished it right. Of course, it's a team half-ful of totally useless women!

Well you won with the re-order of your team. You've been about 50 points ahead of me for some time. Dryrunguy also has the same players, and he's ahead of me also, but only by a few points. So out of the three of us who have the same players, you are the winner!

TA

PeterSkan
09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I ran a half-Marathon this morning so I'm a little late in getting the semi-final summary up. But I did hear from the current and new leader ... serenarulz with the tier titles for the finals. Serenarulz is the only contestant with all four finalists on their team, so congratulations to him. Pretty impressive!!

SemiFinal Standings are here:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanroundranking.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest&rd=6

6. Moving along Fifth Avenue through Harlem, Serenarulz bolts into the lead streaking into Central Park. Also making their moves at this late stage are waylandboy-tw in second [an amazing comeback for the first round leader] and Maddison, vying for his first podium finish in several years. It looks like RandomSkan has popped into Carnegie Hall back in Manhattan for a peek at the stage from the fifth level.

5. The contestants snake along 1st Avenue in Manhattan, deek into the Bronk by way of the Willis Avenue Bridge, then cross back to Manhattan via the Madison Avenue Bridge before sojourneying into Harlem. Tinamarie holds a solid lead, increasing the gap between her and second-place PeterSkan, with Hingisman making a strong move onto third. Randomskan hails a taxi, to no avail, and saunters alone into Manhattan.

PeterSkan
09-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Congratulations to serenarulz09 for winning the final SkanSlamTest of the year. Serenarulz had all 4 finalists and finished with a commanding lead ... interesting as the race was so tight through the first five rounds.

Serenarulz09, please send me a PM with the details about where to send your prize.

Since this is the last round, the best place to go for the final standings is the ranking page, which gioves the points breakdown, or even the All-Teams page, which has even more detail:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanranking.php
http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanteams.php?t_name=2011_USO_SkanCanTest

Many thanks to all contestants and to TAT here for allowing me to post this contest.

I will update the all-time tables in the near future. In the meantime, here's to a great year, enjoy the rest of the season, and mark your calendars to participate in 2012!

PeterSkan

7. Serenarulz09 builds a commanding lead through Central Park South, moving back into the Park at Columbus Circle and crosses the finish line uncontested just by Tavern on the Green. There's virtually no change in the last stage among the top 10, and the other podium finishes go to waylandboy-tw and Maddison. For Maddison, it's his first time on the podium since winning the AO SkanTest in 2006. Meanwhile, RandomSkan is seen playing a few impromptu games of Chess in Central Park as the sun sets on the city.

6. Moving along Fifth Avenue through Harlem, Serenarulz bolts into the lead streaking into Central Park. Also making their moves at this late stage are waylandboy-tw in second [an amazing comeback for the first round leader] and Maddison, vying for his first podium finish in several years. It looks like RandomSkan has popped into Carnegie Hall back in Manhattan for a peek at the stage from the fifth level.

1. From the starting line on Staten island, the SkanSlam pack moves en masse across the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn, TAT's waylandboy-tw in the lead, followed closely by Tat-mate Oploskoffie and TennisGamer's Bianca. RandomSkan trails the field.

borenore2
09-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Thank you Peter for running this great contest. Maybe I'm finnally getting the hang of it. But I still can't work out how I came fifth with a player who didn't even get on court!

Well run as usual.

PeterSkan
09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Thank you Peter for running this great contest. Maybe I'm finnally getting the hang of it. But I still can't work out how I came fifth with a player who didn't even get on court!

Well run as usual.

Thanks. A lot of contestants choose players that lose early and actually contribute a negative score to their total. So having a player who is neutral in terms of scoring is not the worst thing, although it does hurt in comparison to players that would have earned victory points or positive points in the other categories.