PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions about the Suicide Pool Here

Moose
08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
If you have any questions about the US Open Suicide Pool, post it in this thread and we'll answer it as soon as we can.

pudding
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Day 1 Order of Play is up now. When will the pool thread start?

shtexas
08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Soon

gvhvhg
08-31-2011, 10:24 AM
If we picked Soderling we're out?? Doesn't seem fair since he was replaced in the draw...It's not a walkover! We should be allowed to repick!

shtexas
08-31-2011, 10:28 AM
If we picked Soderling we're out?? Doesn't seem fair since he was replaced in the draw...It's not a walkover! We should be allowed to repick!

Unfortunately, this happens from time to time - a player withdraws at or about the time play starts.

This is why we have the following instruction:

"Since the object of the game is to pick a player that you are sure is going to win on that day, should your player withdraw, he obviously cannot win his match. You do not get a substitute (lucky loser) - you have chosen a player, not a spot in the draw. You might want to scout your player and make sure there is not a known injury or illness issue."

It sucks. But, there is simply no fair way to allow people to pick again after play has started.

theotherdonald
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Uh oh. My buddy is not taking his laptop, after all, to the mountains tomorrow. I'm still in both the mens' and ladies contest [ pauses for applause ], and wondering "am I out after tomorrow even if my picks win? I see that the e-mail option seems to be just for board outages. Thanks for the feedback ... hope it's good.

shtexas
09-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Uh oh. My buddy is not taking his laptop, after all, to the mountains tomorrow. I'm still in both the mens' and ladies contest [ pauses for applause ], and wondering "am I out after tomorrow even if my picks win? I see that the e-mail option seems to be just for board outages. Thanks for the feedback ... hope it's good.

You can email your pick each day if you cannot get on TAT (not just outages). We just don't accept multiple day picks at once. One each day.

pudding
09-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Are the men's quarter finals on different days or all on the same day? It seems people may run out of a pick before the final. What happens in that case?

shtexas
09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Are the men's quarter finals on different days or all on the same day? It seems people may run out of a pick before the final. What happens in that case?

They are split.

The object of the game is to not run out of picks. But, of course, when earlier picks keep winning, you run out. If you run out, you are done.

shtexas
09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
It's come up, and NO, you cannot change your day 9 picks. They were set in stone at the deadline.

The game demands we keep things consistent. And we have. No exceptions.

shtexas
09-06-2011, 06:51 PM
And, again, just because play never started, the deadline was the deadline, "rain or shine", and a no-pick for day 9 remains a no-pick.

ptmcmahon
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
It's come up, and NO, you cannot change your day 9 picks. They were set in stone at the deadline.

Can I change my day 8 pick? :rolleyes:

luvs10s
09-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Can I change my day 8 pick? :rolleyes:

Heck, I'd like to change my Day 1, one. grin

pudding
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Are we going to have to pick 9, 10, 11 all at once? This is getting nutty :) Please someone stop the rain.

shtexas
09-07-2011, 12:50 PM
Are we going to have to pick 9, 10, 11 all at once? This is getting nutty :) Please someone stop the rain.

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19918

Edmond Dantès
09-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Are we going to have to pick 9, 10, 11 all at once? This is getting nutty :) Please someone stop the rain.lIPan-rEQJA

Moose
09-07-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.usopen.org/images/pics/large/b_09052011_Rain_2011_US_Open_041.jpg

pudding
09-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Good one :) Thanks!

pudding
09-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I don't want to be whiny, but I really think the weather conditions make a difference. Not to say the scheduling. Those of us who've done everything right so far, couldn't we get to re-pick Day 10? Why penalize those who've gotten all picks correct so far and been on time?

Moose
09-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't want to be whiny, but I really think the weather conditions make a difference. Not to say the scheduling. Those of us who've done everything right so far, couldn't we get to re-pick Day 10? Why penalize those who've gotten all picks correct so far and been on time?

Basically, pudding, it is because we pick a player. Then we pick another player. We have no control over court, conditions, etc.

Everyone is in the same boat, which I think is as fair as the game can be.

Togtdyalttai
09-07-2011, 02:55 PM
There's no Day 11 men's pick, right?

Moose
09-07-2011, 03:03 PM
There's no Day 11 men's pick, right?

It appears that way Tog, but please check back shortly for an official announcement of that.

shtexas
09-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Obviously, there cannot be any pick due for men's day 11 since that depended on the day 9 matches being completed today.

Nothing official on the US Open site, but it cannot be any other way.

Kirkus
09-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Can I just say God bless those of you who run the Suicide Pools. It's so obvious, especially with what's happened the last few days, that you guys/gals totally have your sh*t together.

Thanks for the consistency from slam to slam and year to year. And thanks for your hard work.

:)

tennisbrp
09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Can I just say God bless those of you who run the Suicide Pools. It's so obvious, especially with what's happened the last few days, that you guys/gals totally have your sh*t together.

Thanks for the consistency from slam to slam and year to year. And thanks for your hard work.

:)

Agree 100%. A lot of monitoring, typing, and many emotional people to please. Always respect the moderators....they make this fun contest what it is despite the horrible weather.