PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Wimbledon SkanTest

PeterSkan
06-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Hello Everybody -

So this will be the official TAT thread for the 2011 Wimbledon SkanTest. Ace has been quick off the draw and the site is already set up, with a whole bunch of folks already signed up. What the heck - why wait for the draw??? Here's the entry page:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanteam_submit.php?t_name=2011_Wimbledon_SkanCanT est

I still haven't caught my breath since the French Open - so there's no changes to the rules at this point.

Before I say anything else, I doff my hat to TAT's most excellent staff for tolerating the SKanTest as an outside contest. Of course, it does provide an opportunity for the posters here at TAT to kick some serious butt [if you know what I mean].

But that won't happen unless you get your entries in. Of course, we are always delighted to have new contestants to vie for the winner's prize - a modest gift of my selection from the wonderful product lines of the Royal Canadian Mint !!!!

So let's get on with it, shall we?

Peter

PeterSkan
06-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Before I go any further, deepest apologies to Jadesa and Omess, who have yet to receive their prizes for having won the AO and French Open SkanTests, respectfully. Postal workers are currently locked out here in Canada ... will get to this as soon as I can!!!

PeterSkan
06-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Rules, rules, rules ...

Wait a second, what's a game or contest without rules?

So then - first off ... everyone is welcome to participate: the more the merrier :)

And as I mentioned -previously ... there is a prize for the winner :) yes - a modest gift of my selection from the product line of the Royal Canadian Mint!! What more incentive do you need = ;)

To enter your team, go here :

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanteam_submit.php?t_name=2011_Wimbledon_SkanCanT est

If you're not registered on that site you'll need to take a minute or so to do that, but Ace has made it easy-as-pie !! [Just so you know]

Here's how to play and pick your team:

1. The contest winner will be the poster whose registered team earns the highest number of points at the end of the tournament.

2. Valid entries consist of a team of 6 players [3 men and 3 women] all of whom must be included in the official tournament draw.

3. Rule 3 [The 30-rank rule]: The sum total of the current rankings of your players must be no less than 30 [though it can be more than 30]. If you pick an unseeded player, the host site automatically assigns a ranking.

OK ... TO BE CLEAR: YOU ENTER THE RANK, NOT THE SEEDING. TAKE THE VALUES FROM THE TABLE ON THE ENTRY PAGE. YES, SERENA IS RANKED 26, FAR DIFFERENT FROM HER SEEDING. THAT'S A BENEFIT IN MEETING THE 30-RANK RULE IF YOU INCLUDE HER ON YOUR TEAM.

IMPORTANT: Also: do not enter rankings for unseeded players. The Contest Administrative staff will look after that. Simply leave the ranking values blank for any such players on your team.

4. The order of your 6-named players is the most important factor in naming your team. It represents the weighting of your players for purposes of earning what I call "domination points" :cheesy:.

Here's a sample entry:

[B]Team Smoking on Grass

1. Serena [Ranking = 26]
2. Federer [Ranking = 3]
3. Djokovic [Ranking = 2]
4. Na Li [Ranking = 4]
5. Sharapova [Ranking = 6]
6. Raonic ;) [Ranking = 26]

Total of Rankings = 67

Cheerleader[s]: The Merry Wives of Windsor

5. You cannot name a team consisting of the same players in the same order as a team already entered. However, you can enter a team consisting of the same players as another team, provided those players are in a different order. If you try to enter a team already registered, the entry gets rejected = :rolleyes:

6. OK - it's not really a rule, but what’s a team without a cheerleading squad. So go ahead and nominate a cheerleader[s], just for fun. In fact, they don't even have to be a registered player. Be creative!

7. Assign a name to your team. You can edit the team name if you wish. Some day, hopefully before I die, I'll post a shortlist of some of the mroe creative entries

8. Good news: You don't have to even wait for the draw to come out [though that's not a bad idea], because you can change the composition of your team any number of times up to the start of play. But once play starts, that's it, you've "LOCKED IN THOSE LYRICS", um, so to speak.

________________________________________________ ___

SCORING

OK - here are the basics:

1. Domination Points:

These are based on how soundly your players beat their opponents. A key factor in calculating these points is how high you have seeded them on your team. For example, if you seed Djokovic 2nd on your team and he spanks Dasco 6-0 6-0, you will get 60 points; however, if you seeded Nole 5th on your team, you will only get 24 points. On the other hand, if your player loses, you will lose the corresponding number of points. Also, no winning player will be penalized for losing more games than their opponent. In such cases the default is 0 points.

2. Progression Points

You get additional points whenever your players advance to the next round [10 for round 1, 20 for round 2, 30 for round 3, 50 for round 4, 80 for Round 5, etc.]. Catch on?

3. Quality Points

You get further points when your player defeats an opponent who is seeded in the tournament. The number of points is based on how highly the opponent is seeded. For example, if you have the #1 seed on your team and they defeat the 20th seed, you get 13 points [33 - 20].

If you need ANY help at ALL, please post a message!

Welcome to the game and good luck to all contestants!!

PeterSkan

ptmcmahon
06-16-2011, 10:00 PM
It is gonna be pretty easy to hit 30 this time :)

PeterSkan
06-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Bump to get your teams in. 34 so far and counting

Togtdyalttai
06-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Have to say I probably shouldn't have come up with a team name first and then made up a team. The team name influenced my selection.

owendonovan
06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Tied for first so far!! Thanks again Peter!!

PeterSkan
06-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Time running out ... get your teams in

jkfriedman
06-19-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm in

dryrunguy
06-19-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm in!

omess
06-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I am in

PeterSkan
06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
bump to get us to 75 teams = :)

PeterSkan
06-19-2011, 09:43 PM
bump to get us to 75 teams = :)

70 teams with just over 6 hours to go.

Get yours in = :)

--cj--
06-19-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm in, with probably a personal high for a ranking points total. :)

PeterSkan
06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
The leader of the Contest gets to name the tiers for the next round. For the RG that was the equivalent of wearing the yellow jersey. Buckingham Palace called to say that would be completely inappropriate for Wimbledon.

So instead I'll draw on the milestones for the annual Oxford - Cambridge Boat Race on the Thames.

First team to the Black Buoy [i.e. the Round 1 leader] gets to rename the four tiers. [You should know the drill by now].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boat_Race

PeterSkan
06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
BTW the tiers to start off are ...

Tier 1: Coronation Street

Tier 2: As The World Turns

Tier 3: The Edge of Night

Tier 4: Monty Python's Flying Circus

PeterSkan
06-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Round 1 is done ...

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanranking.php?t_name=2011_Wimbledon_SkanCanTest

1. IronMan reaches the Black Buouy first and wins the right to name second round tier titles.

The race proceeds now past Fulham Football Club past the Mile Post to the Crabtree, where we will all stop for a beer.

2. Sebastien and craighickman are the first two posters to register Quality points

3. Only 4 Contestants lost a pick in Round 1 [including RandomSkan, but he's quite delighted anyway]. Terrence lost 3 picks in the first round, but, harken, that's pretty good for him.

4. I'm tied with Deelia [personal highlight]. led14pa and Tiw get out of my way while I snuggle up = :)

All in all, the field is quite congested. On to Round 2. I'll start posting results right away. You can always go back and check the Round 1 results here

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanroundranking.php?t_name=2011_Wimbledon_SkanCan Test&rd=1

YHS

Peter

oploskoffie
06-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Congested indeed! Love me a good close contest... :yes:

Charlie02123
06-22-2011, 01:02 PM
Huzzah! Tied for second with Martini (hey girl hey)!

My favorite team names are "Grass Clippings" (cj) and "Grass Guzzlers" (dry).

I stopped thinking of clever names years ago and have stuck by my standard "Charlie's Angels" for everything.

dryrunguy
06-22-2011, 01:26 PM

I stopped thinking of clever names years ago and have stuck by my standard "Charlie's Angels" for everything.

I think my French Open team name (Die Claydermaus) was my favorite ever. :)

But with current gas prices, Grass Guzzlers seemed appropriate. Thanks!

--cj--
06-22-2011, 01:30 PM

woohoo! at least i'm in the running for clever team name. :)

PeterSkan
06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
Ironman5577's 4 tier titles:

1. Knights In Shining Armour
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Chip'n Dale Rescue Rangers
4. Knights Of The Sorrowful Countenance

PeterSkan
06-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Now that Melzer/Tursunov is done I can declaim that Martini4Me is the first poster to reach the CrabTree [i.e. 2nd round leader] and has the privilege of naming the tier titles for the next round.

Please get these to me asap so I can enter them ... thanks. Well done.

M4me is followed closely by Swansrule and former champ Charlie02123

But before descending into a pit of despair, you should know that fully 64 of 81 teams are still fully intact after Round 2, so the big prize is still up for grabs.

On to Stage 3: out past Harrods Furniture Depository to Hammersmith Bridge.

PeterSkan
06-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Now that Melzer/Tursunov is done I can declaim that Martini4Me is the first poster to reach the CrabTree [i.e. 2nd round leader] and has the privilege of naming the tier titles for the next round.

Please get these to me asap so I can enter them ... thanks. Well done.

M4me is followed closely by Swansrule and former champ Charlie02123

But before descending into a pit of despair, you should know that fully 64 of 81 teams are still fully intact after Round 2, so the big prize is still up for grabs.

On to Stage 3: out past Harrods Furniture Depository to Hammersmith Bridge.

Round 3's in the can ... with omess, our RG champ, in the lead. Could he be the first ever to pull off the French-Wimby SkanTest double?

Well ... don't bet the mortgage on it. There are still 46 teams out of 81 that are fully intact after 3 rounds - no doubt a record made possible by the low ranking of the WS.

Omess - you have tier title naming privileges for the next round. Have at it!

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanranking.php?t_name=2011_Wimbledon_SkanCanTest

PeterSkan
06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Who will emerge as the Round 4 leader?

Round 1: Ironman5577 streams out ahead of the pack to the Black Buoy

Round 2: Martini4Me muscles past the Fulham Football Club to the Mile Post, snagging the lead at the Crabtree Tavern

Round 3: Omess asserts himself at Harrods Furniture Depository, leading the field as at the Hammersmith Bridge

Round 4: 41 teams vie for the lead at St. Paul's School, maneuvering around Chiswick Eyot with Fuller's Brewery in sight

Who's your money on?

PeterSkan
06-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Wimbledon SkanTest Tier Titles

Round 1 [Courtesy of PeterSkan]

1. Coronation Street
2. As The World Turns
3. The Edge of Night
4. Monty Python's Flying Circus

Round 2 [Courtesy of Ironman5577]

1. Knights in Shining Armour
2. Return of the Jedi

Round 3 [Courtesy of Martini4Me]

1. Kensington
2. Notting Hill
3. Brixton
4. Tower of London

Round 4 [Courtesy of Omess]

1. Young & Restless
2. Bold & Beautiful
3. Passion
4. Port Charles

Togtdyalttai
06-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Whenever I look at the standings in this contest and I'm doing well, I immediately sink to the bottom. So, to anyone who shares picks with me, you've been warned.

Martini4me
06-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Yes, this is a very unforgiving and competitive contest. I lose one player (and only my fourth seed, at that) and crop from first to 21st.

James7
06-27-2011, 06:28 AM
The point spread for the most part is really thin. You have to have an intact roster or you will simply drop way out.

ptmcmahon
06-27-2011, 07:17 AM
yikes...there goes my #1...I blame Peter for suggesting I put my women as my 1-2-3 ;) Kvitova as my #2 is still looking pretty good - especially with today's thumping.

Charlie02123
06-27-2011, 07:42 AM
The new top 5 all have Bartoli somewhere.

Even though she has a great change to make the semis and beyond, the big news is that the win is basically a death knell for anyone with Serena.

Drop-shot
06-27-2011, 07:57 AM
The new top 5 all have Bartoli somewhere.

Even though she has a great change to make the semis and beyond, the big news is that the win is basically a death knell for anyone with Serena.

Thank you Mr Brightside.

;)

Charlie02123
06-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Thank you Mr Brightside.

;)
Well pretty much! Unless maybe all the other top women get eliminated too. I suppose a Lisicki-Pironkova final is not impossible.

ptmcmahon
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Did you say that just because I said in the SP thread I would still be ok for picks except for a Lisicki-Pironkova final? :)

PeterSkan
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Four rounds done, and SWANRULE emerges at the top of the pile, with only four other teams still intact:

1. SWANSRULE
2. Charlie02123
3. Tinamarie
4. FEBravo
5. Ironman5577

Round 2: Martini4Me muscles past the Fulham Football Club to the Mile Post, snagging the lead at the Crabtree Tavern

Round 3: Omess asserts himself at Harrods Furniture Depository, leading the field as at the Hammersmith Bridge

Round 4: SWANSRULE pushes past St. Paul's School, maneuvering around Chiswick Eyot to grab the lead at Fuller's Brewery

Round 5: The Quarterfinal stage takes the pack out past Chiswick Pier beyond The Crossing and out to The Bandstand. Will it belong to one of the current top 5, or will someone else emerge from the remaining competitors?

omess
06-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I am down to 10th:(:(

Togtdyalttai
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Wow, I'm surprised I stayed so high after Serena's loss. I suppose I'll only go down. Go Petra!

Drop-shot
06-27-2011, 05:30 PM
I am down to 10th:(:(

I'm 13 and :yahoo:

dryrunguy
06-27-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm 13 and :yahoo:

Good grief. You'll sleep with ANYONE! :mad:

(No offense, Peter.)

Drop-shot
06-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Good grief. You'll sleep with ANYONE! :mad:

(No offense, Peter.)

But Dry, what have you done for me lately?

dryrunguy
06-27-2011, 06:51 PM
But Dry, what have you done for me lately?

Well, for starters, I sent you everything you need to give Hugo Chavez a sponge bath...

PeterSkan
06-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Updates Wimbledon SkanTest Tier Titles

1. Coronation Street
2. As The World Turns
3. The Edge of Night

1. Knights in Shining Armour
2. Return of the Jedi

1. Kensington
2. Notting Hill
3. Brixton
4. Tower of London

1. Young & Restless
2. Bold & Beautiful
3. Passion
4. Port Charles

Round 5 [Courtesy of SWANSRULE]

1. Carpe Diem
2. Never Give Up
3. Open Your Eyes
4. Look Up at the Stars

Drop-shot
06-28-2011, 06:25 AM
Well, for starters, I sent you everything you need to give Hugo Chavez a sponge bath...

That's Ponchi Dry, Ponchi.

mmmm8
06-29-2011, 06:15 AM
I just realized TennisAnyone and I have very similar team names! Sorry, TA, I didn't steal yours, I promise.

I think this is the first time I'd stayed in the top tier for more than one round in a row!

TennisAnyone74
06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
I just realized TennisAnyone and I have very similar team names! Sorry, TA, I didn't steal yours, I promise.

I think this is the first time I'd stayed in the top tier for more than one round in a row!

No worries! I didn't steal yours either - it's just a case of great minds . . . ! :cheesy:

TA

PeterSkan
06-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Well, I'll be, Ironman5577 has pulled off the rare feat of returining to the lead of a SkanTest. So afterthe QF's, it's Tony Stark out front as the only contestant with five picks remaning. How brilliant/brave was it to pick Tsonga instead of Federer? Wow.

Charlie 02123 is the only other competitor with more than 2,000 points atthe QF mark. Well done, chaps!

Round 4: SWANSRULE pushes past St. Paul's School, maneuvering around Chiswick Eyot to grab the lead at Fuller's Brewery

Round 5 [Quarter-final stage]: Ironman5577 gets his second wind at Chiswick Pier and overtakes the pack at The Crossing to lead at The Bandstand.

Round 6 [Semi-final stage]: The course takes the pack through the last sweeping turn at Barnes Railway Bridge and on to the Stag Brewery. Does Ironman have the stamina to sustain the lead with the finish line in sight?

PeterSkan
06-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Updated Wimbledon SkanTest Tier Titles

1. Coronation Street
2. As The World Turns
3. The Edge of Night

1. Knights in Shining Armor
2. Return of the Jedi

1. Kensington
2. Notting Hill
3. Brixton
4. Tower of London

1. Young & Restless
2. Bold & Beautiful
3. Passion
4. Port Charles

Round 5: Quarterfinals [Courtesy of SWANSRULE]

1. Carpe Diem
2. Never Give Up
3. Open Your Eyes
4. Look Up at the Stars

Round 6: Semifinals [Courtesy of Ironman5577]

1. Iron Man's House
2. Pepper Potts' Club
3. Green Goblin's Gliders
4. Doctor Doom's Assistants

ptmcmahon
06-30-2011, 10:49 PM
If only I hadn't put Serena at #1...I could have won it all. Maybe.

PeterSkan
07-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Heading into the last stage, former chamo Charlie02123 sneaks into the lead, and the right to name the tiers for the final round.

Charlie - send me a PM with your titles.

Round 5 [Quarter-final stage]: Ironman5577 gets his second wind at Chiswick Pier and overtakes the pack at The Crossing to lead at The Bandstand.

Round 6 [Semi-final stage]: Charlie02123 inches ahead of the leading cluster as they take the last sweeping turn at Barnes Railway Bridge and on to the Stag Brewery. The crowds are in a frenzy.

Round 7 [Final Stage]: And so it's on to the finish line just in front of the Chiswick Bridge joining Chiswick and Mortlake. It's nip and tuck the rest of the way.

ptmcmahon
07-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Two points out of first with Serena as my #1 :o

I've got Kvitova highest among the top 8...if she wins handily wonder if that'll be enough for me to win it.

Martini4me
07-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Hmmmmmm. I'm in tenth place, but may still have a shot at this. I have Nadal as my number one (Djokovic is three), and Kvitova as number two. Nobody else has potentially the two champions as their top two (or even two and three).

ptmcmahon
07-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Kvitova's points have been added already (I was watching closely all AM) - only thing that matters now is men. Led14pa2 has Nadal #1 and Djokovic #2 so no way you can pass that. Having the champs as #1 and #2 would be impressive though.

I'm trying to work out how good my chances are...I went with Peter's women on top strategy so Nadal is my #4 and Djokovic my #6...but not many people near top have them high.

ptmcmahon
07-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Here's the top 5:

Me - 2725 with Nadal #4, Djokvoic #6
Charlie - 2704 with Djokovic #4
Swansrule - 2682 - with Djokovic #4
ironman5577 - 2668 with Djokovic #3
led14pa2 - 2643 - with Nadal #1, Djokovic #2

Also - graveller (2495) is the highest with Djokovic as #1

The winner would have to come from this group...I think my best bet is for Rafa to win in 5?

Charlie02123
07-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Here's the top 5:

Charlie - 2704 with Djokovic #4
Swansrule - 2682 - with Djokovic #4
ironman5577 - 2668 with Djokovic #3

Also - graveller (2495) is the highest with Djokovic as #1

The winner would have to come from this group...I think my best bet is for Rafa to win in 5?
Hmm...

I guess I need Djokovic to win, but for it to not be a blowout. If he gets a bunch of domination ponts the players with him higher than #4 would pass me. So... Novak in three tiebreaks? :p

ptmcmahon
07-02-2011, 11:16 AM
It'll be a tight window...because you need him to get 21 more points for you then me...but not get ironman 46 more than you :)

Charlie02123
07-02-2011, 12:00 PM
It'll be a tight window...because you need him to get 21 more points for you then me...but not get ironman 46 more than you :)
It's tight, but perhaps not that tight. I don't have Nadal at all, so if he loses all of your point totals go down a bit.

ptmcmahon
07-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Uh oh...I totally forgot about losing points. So that said...I'm probably ok with any Rafa win?

Charlie02123
07-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Here's the top 5:

Uh oh...I totally forgot about losing points. So that said...I'm probably ok with any Rafa win?
I don't know what would happen with led14 if Nadal won in a blowout, but I think you would probably be the winner.

ptmcmahon
07-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Isn't 60 the most domination points you can get in one match? If so I'm safe with a Rafa win. My most domination points anyone had for me was 320 (Kvitova, my #2), so it can't be much more than 60 a match. Rafa has 222 for led14pa through 6 matches, of which I've gotten half of that...so it'd have to be almost as many points as he got the first 6 rounds. I'm starting to think that all I need is Rafa to win. (Or maybe lose one in one of those never ending 5th sets.)

Charlie02123
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Isn't 60 the most domination points you can get in one match? If so I'm safe with a Rafa win. My most domination points anyone had for me was 320 (Kvitova, my #2), so it can't be much more than 60 a match. Rafa has 222 for led14pa through 6 matches, of which I've gotten half of that...so it'd have to be almost as many points as he got the first 6 rounds. I'm starting to think that all I need is Rafa to win. (Or maybe lose one in one of those never ending 5th sets.)
You're probably right.

As for me, it's major contest schizo time. If Djokovic wins I might win this one, depending on the games ratio, but if Nadal wins I think it gives me the lead (or at least a medal) in Green Acres.

If I end up missing out of a medal position in both contests I will kill. everybody. :bat:

:p

PeterSkan
07-02-2011, 09:08 PM

A triple bagel is worth 108 dom points for a #1 seeded player (6-0 + 6-0 + 6-0) = 18 * 6 = 108.

If you have both players, you will lose dom points for the loser, depending on where they are seeded on your team.

PeterSkan
07-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Charlie -

Give me your tier titles!

Charlie02123
07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Charlie -

Give me your tier titles!
Buy a guy dinner first! ;)

For all those reading, our Dear Mr. Skan had a full inbox. My brilliant and hilarious titles have been ready for a while. :p

ptmcmahon
07-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Oh...that's how domination points are worked out.

So if someone won... 0-6, 7-6, 0-6, 7-6, 7-6 for example...would they lose points despite winning?

If that's the case...really I just need Nadal to win more games :)

ptmcmahon
07-03-2011, 06:59 AM
So I would think in that set I gained 2 points from Djokvoic (my #6), but lost 6 from Nadal. (my #4)

Charlie gained 6 from Djokovic, Ironman gained 8, and led14pa would've lost 2.

*I THINK*

tinamarie
07-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Oh...that's how domination points are worked out.

So if someone won... 0-6, 7-6, 0-6, 7-6, 7-6 for example...would they lose points despite winning?

If that's the case...really I just need Nadal to win more games :)

I am pretty sure in that case you get a 0 for domination points, but don't lose any points.

Good luck to you and Charlie! Go, TAT:)

ptmcmahon
07-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Good point Tina.

So Charlie gains 5 points overall on me every extra game Djokovic wins...so 5 extra games for Djokovic and he passes me.

Ironrman gains 2 points on Charlie and would need to gain 18 games on Charlie...which is now impossible.

Led14pa loses points to me when Rafa wins games, and to Charlie when Nole does...so I think has no chance.

So I think it's only me and Charlie with a chance to win?

Charlie02123
07-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Good point Tina.

So Charlie gains 5 points overall on me every extra game Djokovic wins...so 5 extra games for Djokovic and he passes me.

Ironrman gains 2 points on Charlie and would need to gain 18 games on Charlie...which is now impossible.

Led14pa loses points to me when Rafa wins games, and to Charlie when Nole does...so I think has no chance.

So I think it's only me and Charlie with a chance to win?
I'm dizzy. :p

ptmcmahon
07-03-2011, 07:39 AM
I think you've gained 35 points on me so far today after two sets. I really need this Rafa break point here.

ptmcmahon
07-03-2011, 08:45 AM
K...if my numbers are right...I think Charlie won by 4...taking the lead in the very last game. I'll be watching to see if I have finally figured the scoring out properly.

If so...congrats Charlie!

ptmcmahon
07-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Uh oh... I did calculate wrong...sorry Charlie...not sure where I went awry...

Charlie02123
07-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Uh oh... I did calculate wrong...sorry Charlie...not sure where I went awry...
JUDAS!!!!!

:p

Congrats!

ptmcmahon
07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
You must've only been gaining 3 points a game on me...not 5 like I somehow worked out. I thought:

I would lose 15 for Nadal ( 5 games *3) and gain 5 for Djokovic (5 * 1) = 10 point net loss
You would gain 15 for Djokovic (5 games * 3) = 15 point net gain

So overall you would've gained 25 on me...and the lead had been 21. Dunno where the other points come from!

PeterSkan
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Wow - closest finish ever. Congrats to ptmcmahon as a first -time winner of the SkanTest, edging out Charlie02123. The news isn't all bad for Charlie, though, since his second place finish makes him the first contestant, I believe, to have a gold, silver and bronze finish on his resume. Swansrule rounds out the podium for WImbledon:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanranking.php

ptm ... send me a pm with the particulars so I can get your prize to you.

And now it's on to the USO, with maybe a slight change in the rules, so keep an eye out for that.

Have a great summer everybody, and thanks again to all contestants!

Peter

Round 7 [Final Stage]: The crowds are in hysteria as ptmcmahon sneaks across the finish line, a mere 3 points ahead of Charlie02123 in the closest ever conclusion to a SkanTest. The fans lining across Chiswick Bridge joining Chiswick and Mortlake are chanting for a review in what is surely a photo-finish.

Round 6 [Semi-final stage]: Charlie02123 inches ahead of the leading cluster as they take the last sweeping turn at Barnes Railway Bridge and on to the Stag Brewery. The crowds are in a frenzy.

ptmcmahon
07-04-2011, 04:14 AM
And now I'd like to reveal the secret of my success - thanks to ... Peterskan himself for suggesting what wound up my winning strategy - from FO Contest:

That's the magic formula.

My observation is that women tend to dominate more than men. The points formula controls for the difference in the number of sets between ATP and WTA matches.

So my experiment was to put my women #1-#3...and Peter was right! Kvitvoa had the most domination points of anyone I think. Thanks for the tip!

oploskoffie
07-04-2011, 01:39 PM
So my experiment was to put my women #1-#3...and Peter was right! Kvitvoa had the most domination points of anyone I think. Thanks for the tip!

The only argument against this I can come up with is that the men's top ranked players are perhaps "more likely" to make it to the semis and finals.

Ah well. Bring on the US Open. I already know who will be placed 1 - 3 in my team, and they won't be men :p

ptmcmahon
07-04-2011, 04:48 PM
But will they fit the "new rule."

I always used to put men higher because I was much more confident that they would go far. So I was lucky that the time I chose to use this strategy was the time 2 of my 3 picks were the finalists.

Drop-shot
07-04-2011, 06:59 PM
But will they fit the "new rule."

I always used to put men higher because I was much more confident that they would go far. So I was lucky that the time I chose to use this strategy was the time 2 of my 3 picks were the finalists.

That has been my strategy of late.