PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Woods.  

Louche
08-07-2006, 07:15 AM
Youngest player to reach the 50 PGA win milestone. Incredible achievement and I hope he makes it all the way to the top of the list.

oploskoffie
08-19-2006, 03:09 PM
Things are looking good for Tiger at the moment 8-)

T Woods -14 15
L Donald Eng -13 14
M Weir Can -12 18
G Ogilvy Aus -11 15
S Garcia Sp -10 18

Kirkus
08-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah they are!

What the hell happened to Philly? He's just kinda pooped his pants today. And it's not even Sunday!

cphsrsh
08-19-2006, 03:35 PM
You know one of the biggest arguments against Roger being the greatest player of all time is that he's faced only a handful of future HoFers as opposed to other greats such as Sampras or Borg. (This is ridiculous, by the way, if you include McEnroe, Lendl, Becker, Edberg, and other players who was past their prime, in the players Sampras had to deal with)

But tell me who Tiger faced? Phil? The one who choked away a Grand Slam?
Ernie? Retief? Sergio? Hell, he was supposed to win one 6 years ago!

I know my voice isn't objective when it comes to Roger, but Tiger is not a greater athlete than Roger is. Oh yeah, golf isn't really a sport, either. [smiley=blahs.gif]

oploskoffie
08-19-2006, 03:45 PM
You know one of the biggest arguments against Roger being the greatest player of all time is that he's faced only a handful of future HoFers as opposed to other greats such as Sampras or Borg. (This is ridiculous, by the way, if you include McEnroe, Lendl, Becker, Edberg, and other players who was past their prime, in the players Sampras had to deal with)

But tell me who Tiger faced? Phil? The one who choked away a Grand Slam?
Ernie? Retief? Sergio? Hell, he was supposed to win one 6 years ago!

I know my voice isn't objective when it comes to Roger, but Tiger is not a greater athlete than Roger is. Oh yeah, golf isn't really a sport, either. [smiley=blahs.gif]

With Tiger it may be a case of him simply being THAT good. Not that the rest are bad, far from it in fact. There's a whealth of talent that makes up the top-30 of the PGA rankings. If there hadn't been a Tiger Woods, perhaps we'd have been enjoying rivalries between al the players you mentioned and a few more. Heck: Campbell, Mickelson, Els, Singh, Garcia and a few others could have been winning most of the majors and all the golf lovin' folks would have called it a golden age for the sport. Things being as they are, however...

cphsrsh
08-19-2006, 03:51 PM
With Tiger it may be a case of him simply being THAT good. Not that the rest are bad, far from it in fact. There's a whealth of talent that makes up the top-30 of the PGA rankings. If there hadn't been a Tiger Woods, perhaps we'd have been enjoying rivalries between al the players you mentioned and a few more. Heck: Campbell, Mickelson, Els, Singh, Garcia and a few others could have been winning most of the majors and all the golf lovin' folks would have called it a golden age for the sport. Things being as they are, however...
Same with Roger too! If Federer weren't around, Hewitt, Roddick, and Safin will all have at least 2 more majors. Heck, even Rafa would have won Wimbledon.

temper27
08-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Sorry but I think Tiger Woods competition is incredably weak and makes him look better then he is. Lets look at his top 4 rivals:

Phil Mickelson-mentaly fragile player, who is known to choke under pressure. Does not play the percentages well, wild and erratic of the tee at times.

Ernie Els-huge headcase. Even with Tiger Woods not in sight has trouble closing out any event.

Vijay Singh-very solid player in terms of fundamentals, but lacks in inventive shotmaking skills, and ability to maneuver balls with the softer shots from tricky spots.

Retief Goosen-his mental toughness is far overated. I have only seen him choke and choke other then his 2 U.S Open wins, one in abysmal conditions that turned the event into a crapshoot, the other beating out a shark like mark Brooks, needing a playoff after his last hole choke. Has solid game but not even one spectacular area of his game, other then his perceived mental toughness which as I explained before is not spectacular.

Garcia-erratic off the tee, erratic on the greens. Mentaly a flop. Not even won a major yet and has choked on every Sunday in contention since almost coming from behind at 99 PGA to stun Tiger. Since then it is just flop flop flop anytime in Sunday contention.

A sign of how weak his chief rivals are is actually one of his big slump years-2003. That year had two good second tier golfers win majors(Weir and Furyk)and two total journeyman win the other two-Curtis and Micheel. So in a year he is in a slump his big rivals cant capatilize and do anything, instead none of the 4 majors is won by one of the true current elite, not even 1, and 2 of the 4, not just 1, 2, go to journeyman struggling to mantain a tour card.

Nicklaus had it miles tougher facing Palmer, Player, two all time greats and others like Watson and Miller. The 3rd tier of that day was competitive with Tigers biggest rivals in terms of quality.

GVGirl
08-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Sorry but I think Tiger Woods competition is incredably weak and makes him look better then he is. Lets look at his top 4 rivals:

Phil Mickelson-mentaly fragile player, who is known to choke under pressure. Does not play the percentages well, wild and erratic of the tee at times.

Ernie Els-huge headcase. Even with Tiger Woods not in sight has trouble closing out any event.

Vijay Singh-very solid player in terms of fundamentals, but lacks in inventive shotmaking skills, and ability to maneuver balls with the softer shots from tricky spots.

A sign of how weak his chief rivals are is actually one of his big slump years-2003. That year had two good second tier golfers win majors(Weir and Furyk)and two total journeyman win the other two-Curtis and Micheel. So in a year he is in a slump his big rivals cant capatilize and do anything, instead none of the 4 majors is won by one of the true current elite, not even 1, and 2 of the 4, not just 1, 2, go to journeyman struggling to mantain a tour card.

Nicklaus had it miles tougher facing Palmer, Player, two all time greats and others like Watson and Miller. The 3rd tier of that day was competitive with Tigers biggest rivals in terms of quality.

Wow, you actually saw Nicklaus play? So you can actually make the comparison.

temper27
08-19-2006, 04:49 PM

Wow, you actually saw Nicklaus play? So you can actually make the comparison.

I have seen old tapes. Lets just say it does not take long to figure out Palmer and Player are miles above Tiger's competitors, nobody in their right mind would argue that.

Players like Watson, Miller, etc....were far more complete, far more solid and secure across all sectors of a golf hole, and were tougher mentaly then the players I listed above. Just watching old footage of them in their primes it is very evident as well.

temper27
08-19-2006, 04:51 PM

If lucky 2 of that whole group might have 1 more major each if Tiger never existed. The other 9 of his majors would be divided by the second and third tier good players, and 4 or 5 of them would go to total nobodies like Micheel and Curtis since the rare times Tiger is not up to it the rest of that overrated "rival" group would rarely take advantage anyway.

GVGirl
08-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm not a big golf fan, but you have to be in it to win it, so they say. Give Tiger some credit.

I'm sure that back in the old days of Nicklaus that there was more of an emphasis on winning rather than endorsements that all these players get. I think that all of this crazy endorsement money makes them less competitive, so to speak.

temper27
08-19-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm not a big golf fan, but you have to be in it to win it, so they say. Give Tiger some credit.

I'm sure that back in the old days of Nicklaus that there was more of an emphasis on winning rather than endorsements that all these players get. I think that all of this crazy endorsement money makes them less competitive, so to speak.

I am not disputing that Tiger is great, just suggesting that anybody who would try to potray todays field as good or, heaven forbid, better, then the field Nicklaus faced, is far far off base with reality. There is no way you can compare Tiger's pool of biggest rivals of compulsive chokers, with one that starts off with Palmer and Player, two of the all time greats themselves.

You are probably right about the endorsement thing taking some of the edge off todays players competitive drive. Then again the most interesting thing about that is that would seem to apply to Tiger the most, yet he is able to manage it quite fine.

oploskoffie
08-25-2006, 05:16 PM
This little bit of golfing news had me laughing out loud... ;D

Reigning champion Tiger Woods was involved in chaotic scenes at the end of his second round in the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in Akron. Woods' second shot from the rough at the 9th, his last, flew over the grandstand and bounced onto the roof of the three-storey clubhouse. But after 45 minutes officials gave him a free drop and he secured a bogey.

Woods said: "I don't know how that wasn't out of bounds first of all and I also don't know how anybody found it." It initially seemed the world number one, who is chasing a fourth straight PGA Tour title, would have to play his fourth shot from the same spot in the rough from where he played his wayward second.

But when a member of the clubhouse catering staff found the ball a US Tour rules official decided the clubhouse at Firestone Country Club was not out of bounds. The Open and USPGA champion was then given a very favourable drop with an unimpeded line into the green.

Asked afterwards if he thought it was an oversight the clubhouse had not been made out of bounds, Woods said: "I'm not complaining. The ball was apparently in some guy's pocket and they ended up getting it. If I had had to re-drop from where I hit the second shot, it would have been tough to make six. It's a huge break to make five. I've never seen anything like it and certainly never experienced anything like it. But I did once hit into a portaloo - a guy opened the door at the wrong moment."

Kirkus
08-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Thank, oploskoffie!

I wouldn't have heard about that until I put the tournament on TV. Now I've seen his interview about it online. Some are calling it the most bizarre bogey ever. LOL.

oploskoffie
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.golfing-advice.com/Amazing-chip-shot-by-Tiger-Woods-2.html

His amazing chip shot. The guy's a genius.

Great shot, indeed!

Welcome to TAT by the way ;)