PDA

View Full Version : [Golf] News and Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

oploskoffie
09-08-2006, 04:26 AM
Greetings, golfing enthousiasts, spectators, detractors and n00bs ;D Welcome to the central thread for anything and everything to with golf. This is the place to be to discuss PGA, LPGA, European, Ladies European, SPGA, APGA and all other tours and tournaments as well as the players.

A good place as well for those amongst us who (want to) play the game. Do your irons see more trees than fairways? Does your ball enjoy water more than it should? Ask for or share with us any tips you may have!

Let's tee up! ;D

oploskoffie
09-08-2006, 04:31 AM
First thought: Michelle Wie playing in the European Masters should never have happened?

Current score: M Wie US +15 17

So okay... She's young, lacks experience, just fired a good caddie and is basically in need of a reality check. I can't fault her for wanting to try, but just looking at this score is painful. And she wants to play Ryder Cup in the future? Or does her dad want this? Does Nike?? I say she needs to haul her butt back to the LPGA Tour and stick to that for a coupe of years just to get the experience she so obviously needs. Talent only gets you so far...

oploskoffie
09-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Teenager Michelle Wie crashed out of the European Masters after finishing 15 over for two round at Crans-sur-Sierre.

The 16-year-old again hit some wild shots and ran up successive double bogeys in a 79 that left her three adrift at the bottom of the field. Playing partner Nick Dougherty did not fare much better, suffering a quadruple bogey in a 72 for a nine-over total.

Wie was at a loss to explain her wayward driving and said: "I didn't even know what sport I was playing out there." She dismissed suggestions that she did not warrant a place on the leading European men's tour. She said: "You can't learn to play against men by playing against women. This doesn't scare me off it makes me more determined."

The Hawaiian now intends to work with coaching guru David Leadbetter ahead of an appearance on the men's tour in America. "I think I know what to work on," she said. "But I'm looking forward to wider fairways and bigger greens!"

Wie has now missed the cut in nine of her 10 men's appearances and European Tour boss George O'Grady said he would need "a lot of persuading" before she was invited back to a tour event. "She is a phenomenal talent that has not played to her potential. We can see the interest it created but I think it's time to evaluate and take stock."

I know Leadbetter is good, but he ain't a genie from a lamp with a wish to grant now is he?

cphsrsh
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Has Michelle Wie even won a title on the LPGA tour, yet?

I consider it laughable that she tries to compete with the men when she has achieved NADA on the women's tour. And quite frankly, I think it hurts her more than it helps her. While players like Paula Creamer are winning titles on the LPGA, Wie is being criticized for playing with the men.

I know this has been said often, but I hope she makes the right decision by winning some titles on the women's tour and then deciding to play with the men.

oploskoffie
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Has Michelle Wie even won a title on the LPGA tour, yet?

I consider it laughable that she tries to compete with the men when she has achieved NADA on the women's tour. And quite frankly, I think it hurts her more than it helps her. While players like Paula Creamer are winning titles on the LPGA, Wie is being criticized for playing with the men.

I know this has been said often, but I hope she makes the right decision by winning some titles on the women's tour and then deciding to play with the men.

Agree, agree, agree! The big question is: who wants this? Is it really Michelle's own dream to play on the men's tour and win? Or would Nike love nothing better than to have a sh**load of attention go their way bu her participation in those tournaments? Or is it her dad's bright idea? It's just amazing that none of the three parties mentioned seem to be too worked up about Michelles wanting to do something she's not ready for by lightyears. She may be a great talent, but she's also still a teenager and she will need things to boost her confidence, not get stuck in this circus where frustration is about all she's really taking from it. Too bad...

oploskoffie
09-11-2006, 04:53 PM
World Match Play draw:

(1) Michael Campbell v (16) Simon Khan
(8) David Howell v (9) Colin Montgomerie
(4) Retief Goosen v (12) Paul Casey
(5) Adam Scott v (13) Mike Weir
(3) Jim Furyk v (14) Robert Karlsson
(6) Ernie Els v (11) Angel Cabrera
(7) Luke Donald v (10) Tim Clark
(2) Tiger Woods v (15) Shaun Micheel

I'm going to be a daring little chappy and say Monty actually has a chance to do well here. Tough draw for Tiger, though, should make for a good couple of days of golf :)

cphsrsh
09-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Wow, Oplo. First tennis draws and now golf draws?! :D

God, I profess my ignorance here : How the heck did Tiger get the #2 seed? Isn't he the #1 player in the world miles ahead of everyone else?

Anyways, I love these match-play tournaments. They're a bit like the sport I'm more familiar with. ;)

oploskoffie
09-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Wow, Oplo. First tennis draws and now golf draws?! :D

God, I profess my ignorance here : How the heck did Tiger get the #2 seed? Isn't he the #1 player in the world miles ahead of everyone else?

Anyways, I love these match-play tournaments. They're a bit like the sport I'm more familiar with. ;)

I'll start posting draws for curling tournaments soon 8-)

The defending champion gets to be the first seed ;) Looking at the draw, I'm sure Campbell will be thrilled ;D

oploskoffie
09-14-2006, 05:12 AM
Ladies and gentlemen... Here's a small update of the first round of the World Match Play championship :)

First round latest: After
M Campbell NZ 1 v S Khan Eng 16 22
2up

D Howell Eng 8 v C M'omerie Sco 9 21
2 up

R Goosen SA 5 v P Casey Eng 12 20
1 up

A Scott Aus 4 v M Weir Can 13 19
2 up

J Furyk US 3 v R Karl'on Swe 14 18
(resumes at 1254) 5 up

E Els SA 6 v A Cabrera Arg 11 18
(resumes at 1306) 1 up

L Donald Eng 7 v T Clark SA 10 18
1 up (resumes at 1318)

T Woods US 2 v S Micheel US 15 18
(resumes at 1330) 3 up

Furyk and Woods both have their work cut out for them over the second stretch today, it would seem!

cphsrsh
09-14-2006, 08:43 AM
And Tiger is out!

He lost to Shawn Micheels?!

oploskoffie
09-21-2006, 08:59 AM
And Tiger is out!

He lost to Shawn Micheels?!

He played some loose shots, Micheel played very solid. Pretty much 1+1 = Tiger exit. :')

oploskoffie
09-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Europe's Colin Montgomerie and Padraig Harrington will take on Americans Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk in Friday morning's opening Ryder Cup fourballs.

Stewart Cink and JJ Henry play England's Paul Casey and Swedish rookie Robert Karlsson in the next match. David Toms and Brett Wetterich face Spanish duo Sergio Garcia and Jose Maria Olazabal at Ireland's K Club. Phil Mickelson and Chris DiMarco meet England's Lee Westwood and Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke.

Both the opening match of the 36th Ryder Cup, which is scheduled to start at 0800 BST, and Friday's final fourballs encounter catch the eye. Clarke is playing in only his second tournament since his wife Heather died last month from cancer, and will be given vocal backing by the Irish crowd.

The pairings were announced during an opening ceremony on Thursday watched by thousands of spectators at the Kildare venue. Europe captain Ian Woosnam said he had expected his opposite number Tom Lehman to begin with Woods and Furyk, the world's two top-ranked players.

"I thought they were going to come out as strong as they possibly could," said Woosnam. "I expected Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk to be off first, and I had an inkling that Phil Mickelson and Chris DiMarco would be off last. So I think with Padraig and Colin off first and Darren and Lee off last, that's going to be two fantastic fourballs."

World number one Woods has won 12 majors, but has a largely disappointing Ryder Cup record, while veteran Montgomerie is Europe's talisman. The Scot has been on the winning Ryder Cup side four times in seven appearances, and holed the winning putt as Europe retained the trophy with an 18½-9½ win at Oakland Hills in 2004. Montgomerie and Harrington won the opening fourballs of that competition, beating Woods and Phil Mickelson.

"There's been a lot of talk about Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk playing together," added Woosnam. "It's going to be a big boost for us if we can beat that pairing. That would give confidence to the rest of the team. But if we lose it, there's three more matches to go."

Friday morning's fourballs will be followed by the foursomes in the afternoon.

Lehman said: "I knew they would put a very strong team out first and I know that Monty likes to go first. So I expected Monty to be in that first group with Harrington. I wanted to meet strength with strength. The first point is important so I think you want to lead with your best. But it's not the end of the match. I feel like we have four very strong teams, and if somebody falters, the other guys pick it up. That's the essence of a team. In a team, you cover for each other."

Ryder Cup - Friday's fourballs (All times BST)

0800 Padraig Harrington/Colin Montgomerie (EUR) v Tiger Woods/Jim Furyk (USA)
0815 Paul Casey/Robert Karlsson (EUR) v Stewart Cink/JJ Henry (USA)
0830 Sergio Garcia/Jose Maria Olazabal (EUR) v David Toms/Brett Wetterich (USA)
0845 Darren Clarke/Lee Westwood (EUR) v Phil Mickelson/Chris DiMarco (USA)

morct
09-21-2006, 09:18 AM
Woo Hoo! ;D

Ryder Cup and Davis Cup to watch this weekend.
Go Europe! Go Monty!

Go Australia!! (Just to wipe the smirk off Nalbandian's face - am losing all respect for him)

oploskoffie
09-24-2006, 06:49 AM
It's singles day in the Ryder Cup (please leave your name and phone number in the basket by the gate and make sure you mention the name of the player you'd like to date) and as things stand, well... The USA are getting a spanking.

The day started at 10-6 after the fourballs and foursomes saw some strong performances by Garcia, Furyk and Clarke and a, at times, dismal display by Tiger Woods. The current score is 10-7 but as things stand, Europa would win 18-10. Ouch? Not likely, though. Plenty of holes left in this one :)

nelslus
09-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Could someone please tell me how Nathalie Tauziat managed to get herself on the European Ryder Cup team?

OOPS, my bad, that was Lee Westwood.

morct
09-24-2006, 08:48 AM
WELL DONE EUROPE!

Very proud to be irish after the wonderful display of the K Club and the irish fans.

oploskoffie
09-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Europe have thrashed the USA 18.5-9.5 to win the Ryder Cup for a record third time in a row after dominating the singles at the K Club in Ireland.

Luke Donald held his nerve at the 17th to beat Chad Campbell and ensure the hosts retained the trophy in Ireland.

It was left to Swedish rookie Henrik Stenson to knock in the decisive putt and take Europe past the winning post.

And an emotional Darren Clarke broke down in tears after sealing a superb 3&2 victory over Zach Johnson.

LATEST ACTION (all times BST):

1710: The crowd switch into crooning mode with a rendition of Irish favourite "The Fields of Athenry".

1705: Most of the players have bottles of champagne on the go, but Darren Clarke raises the stakes by downing a pint of Irish Guinness. And then the players join the crowd assembled below their balcony in singing "one Ian Woosnam". Woosnam responds by downing a pint of Guinness himself.

Well done indeed, and the crow definitely seems to be a wonderful lot, morct! Can't wait to see some of this on television. I'll probably need a tissue when they show Darren Clarke's response :-[

morct
09-24-2006, 09:32 AM
I'll probably need a tissue when they show Darren Clarke's response

It was very emotional. He was embraced by his caddie who has been with him forever and he broke down. But he got it together quickly enough. Tom Lehman and Tiger both embraced him also.

Both teams have behaved themselves impeccably (sp?) which doesn't always happen at the Ryder Cup.

A nice moment on the final day: Paul McGinley's singles match went to the 18th hole, he had about a 2 foot putt and his opponent J. Henry had about a 20 foot putt, but Paul, like the gentleman he is, halved the game. Of course Europe had already won at that stage!

oploskoffie
09-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Golfing legend Byron Nelson has died, aged 94.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/09/26/byron.nelson/index.html

Always knew the name and a *bit* of the guy's story, but there's so much more. The above article is a good place to start.

oploskoffie
10-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Another of golf's legends has left the course, though this time just to retire. The way it ended was not all that pretty, unfortunately.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/golf/10/13/bc.glf.championstour.pa.ap/index.html

Have a good retirement, mr. Palmer! Thanks for a lifetime of inspired golf!

Sebs: not a word ;)

oploskoffie
11-29-2006, 07:03 AM
One of the weirder inspirirational stories ;D Check it out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/6190944.stm

Louche
11-29-2006, 10:27 AM
I don't know his name, but good luck to him.

I notice that Michelle is not making much progress in the men's events. Plan B time?

oploskoffie
11-29-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't know his name, but good luck to him.

I notice that Michelle is not making much progress in the men's events. Plan B time?

I remember plan B being "fire your caddy" ;D :P She wants to keep playing in the men's events, but she's shooting rounds of around 80 with alarming frequency. She's been working with David Leadbetter and she's determined to keep working on her game while going nowhere fast. Nike will be so pleased. Anyway... She'll be trying plan M by now. She's lucky she's still young and has time on her side to work things out and put that talent to good use.

oploskoffie
06-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Continuing the Michelle Wie story: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1631260,00.html

I'll bite my tongue for now :lipsrsealed:

morct
06-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Continuing the Michelle Wie story: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1631260,00.html

I'll bite my tongue for now :lipsrsealed:

She has been in the news over here a lot (but not in a good way) in the last week or so.

The shooting over 88 was part of the story, but that week she also took part in a pro am round of golf. The amateurs paid a lot of money to play with her, and apparently she was obnoxious and paid them very little attention.

Don't know what she is thought of in America, but she is getting very bad press over here. :p

Louche
06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Michelle is a classic example of what not to do.

Current and future punchline to many a joke.

oploskoffie
06-13-2007, 08:24 AM
She has been in the news over here a lot (but not in a good way) in the last week or so.

The shooting over 88 was part of the story, but that week she also took part in a pro am round of golf. The amateurs paid a lot of money to play with her, and apparently she was obnoxious and paid them very little attention.

Don't know what she is thought of in America, but she is getting very bad press over here. :p

She also got blasted by Sorenstam for withdrawing from Sorenstam's Ginn Tribute tournament because she was "injured" yet she was in practice again te very next day. Arrogance? She said she didn't owe Sorenstam an apology and has been blaming everyone else for all that's gone wrong since the big bucks started rolling. Even golf guru Leadbetter got a sneer for saying she should focus on the women's tour instead of trying to compete against the men all the time.

Louche, you're so very right. The way this is going, she'll up a joke indeed, as well as a name circled with a red marker in Nike's annual financial report.

- edit -

And here's some more reading: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/article/0,28136,1631997,00.html

mrjiggyfly2
06-17-2007, 03:47 AM
I'm so bummed. I bet money on Aaron Baddeley for the Masters and the Players Championship. I did not, however, bet on him this week (110/1 :pissedoff: )

oploskoffie
06-17-2007, 03:56 AM
I'm so bummed. I bet money on Aaron Baddeley for the Masters and the Players Championship. I did not, however, bet on him this week (110/1 :pissedoff: )

Good odds for a Baddeley win, Mr. J?

mrjiggyfly2
06-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Good odds for a Baddeley win, Mr. J?

Those were good odds. I actually put a very small amount on Casey at 80/1. But with Baddeley making a 7 on the first hole, I think it will be Tiger.

oploskoffie
06-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Those were good odds. I actually put a very small amount on Casey at 80/1. But with Baddeley making a 7 on the first hole, I think it will be Tiger.

It's about time he won a major when not leading after the third round :p

:D

mrjiggyfly2
06-17-2007, 12:44 PM
It's about time he won a major when not leading after the third round :p

:D

That stat is unbelievable!

mrjiggyfly2
06-17-2007, 12:49 PM
That stat is unbelievable!

That streak may continue with the way Tiger is butchering # 3

oploskoffie
06-17-2007, 12:51 PM
That streak may continue with the way Tiger is butchering # 3

Uh-oh. Single bogey? Double? Triple? A cab ride home?

mrjiggyfly2
06-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Uh-oh. Single bogey? Double? Triple? A cab ride home?

Double

oploskoffie
06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Does anybody know where I could find a webcast of the USO? It's not on tv here and I can't stand it :lipsrsealed:

mrjiggyfly2
06-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Does anybody know where I could find a webcast of the USO? It's not on tv here and I can't stand it :lipsrsealed:

I don't know Mr. K. but at least you don't have to listen to Johnny Miller.
I wish Nick Faldo was the analyst!

Ti-Amie
06-17-2007, 02:33 PM
For those who can see this is Cabrera going to hold his nerve or will Tiger's breathing down his neck get to him?

oploskoffie
06-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Well... Plenty of golf left, but Tiger dropping another shot is working wonders for Cabrera's chances.

Ti-Amie
06-17-2007, 03:00 PM
I saw that. Did you see that shot Cabrera almost made? Shot of the day IMO.

oploskoffie
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
I saw that. Did you see that shot Cabrera almost made? Shot of the day IMO.

Alas, I only have a scoreboard to enjoy over here :cry:

mrjiggyfly2
06-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Let's go Tiger!!!!!!

Ti-Amie
06-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Cabrera wins, a first for Argentina. Tiger was off today. I don't watch golf often enough to say more than that. He did well to almost force a play off(?) but he just couldn't birdie that last shot.

suliso
06-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Cabrera wins, a first for Argentina. Tiger was off today. I don't watch golf often enough to say more than that. He did well to almost force a play off(?) but he just couldn't birdie that last shot.

Tiger was OK except his putting which was mediocre at best (he didn't make a single put of considerable length). I am not an expert though as I usually watch only majors...

Also I think he now has a psychological problem with never having come from behind in a major despite so many opportunities...

Ti-Amie
06-17-2007, 04:45 PM
My friend who is very into golf has been telling me Tiger's putting game has been off for some time. Like you, I only catch a major every now and then so I'm in no position to discuss this. He just didn't approach that last hole with confidence. JMHO.

He got that great shot off when he had to hit the green though.

K Sedia
06-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Tiger makes some incredible shots to get himself out of trouble. Problem is that he makes so many shots that get him into trouble.

This passes for wisdom where I live. :cheesy:

K Sedia
06-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Tiger and Elin had a baby daughter, Sam Alexis. Awww.

oploskoffie
06-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Tiger and Elin had a baby daughter, Sam Alexis. Awww.

One day after the USO? Wow, that's timing! :D Congrats to the Woods clan :)

morct
06-19-2007, 05:08 AM
One day after the USO? Wow, that's timing! :D Congrats to the Woods clan :)

That's brilliant - I have a feeling he will be a great dad. The day after father's Day too.

Foxykhat
06-19-2007, 05:36 AM
Congrats to Tiger and Elin! Pity he could not win the US Open as well, but there's always next time.

Foxy

K Sedia
06-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Here is Baby Woods:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070626/capt.08f01b24f89843998c9c5043b9a39d6c.tigers_baby_ golf_ny150.jpg

K Sedia
06-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Wie's woes continue. She pulled out of the Open. Her wrist or some such.

On a day when Shiho Oyama took a share of the clubhouse lead and 12-year-old Alexis Thompson's history-making trip to the Open likely came to an end, Wie made a more abrupt exit by withdrawing after aggravating a wrist injury that has lingered since January.

"I just kind of woke up, and it was really sore," Wie said. "But it was OK. It held up. ... I tweaked it. And then after that it kind of went downhill. I don't remember hurting this much again."

Wie, who shot a first-round 82, was at 6-over through the back nine when she sent her tee shot on No. 1 into the left rough. Immediately after striking her second shot, she approached USGA personnel and walked off the course.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-womensopen&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jack
07-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Wie's woes continue. She pulled out of the Open. Her wrist or some such.

The Monique Viele of the WTA? or the Kournikova?

oploskoffie
07-01-2007, 04:58 PM
The Monique Viele of the WTA? or the Kournikova?

Monique Viele? Wasn't she the one that was rumored to have played in some "adult" entertainment? Either way, Wie ain't there yet by a long way. Nike paid her 10 million when she turned pro, so that should last a while at least. And then there's the rest of the endorsement deals. But from the moment she was really in the spotlight, it's been all complaints, worsening results, blaming others and now this issue with her wrist. For the time being, she's not making good on the promise she once showed at all. Shame, really.

beaujarkko
07-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Michelle needs to stop playing men's events, first and foremost. A lot of her shoulder problems most definitely stem from her attempts to hit every ball 30-50 yards farther than she's able to, just to keep up. It's not like she's had any success in her half-dozen attempts; she's never made a cut. Once she commits and refocuses her undeniable talent to the LPGA tour, she can be the force that everyone knows she can be.

On a different note, congratulations to Cristie Kerr for winning the U.S. Women's Open by two shots over Lorena Ochoa and Angela Park (an 18-year-old, Brazilian-born, Korean player I honestly had not heard of before this tournament). Despite Kerr's demons, she was the only person to make the 18th green in two shots in her final threesome (that included Ochoa and Morgan Pressel, who had a sad finish to her tournament), and gave herself three putts to win on the final hole. She just barely needed two, and she picks up her first major. It's just a matter of time before Lorena gets hers, to be sure.

Ti-Amie
07-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I wonder if Wie is suffering from the same issues that plague Donald Young?

That said I kind of expected Ochoa to win this.

suliso
07-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I wonder if Wie is suffering from the same issues that plague Donald Young?

You mean too much pressure? Probably, also unlike Young she used to be competitive with top players...

jjnow
07-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Morgan Pressel, who had a sad finish to her tournament
My memory works in splashes. Wasn't it two years ago that Morgan was in contention for the USO crown before Birdie Kim nailed that amazing shot for birdie (ironically enough) from the 18th bunker?

It was either Pressel or another young American.

jj

Ti-Amie
07-01-2007, 06:52 PM
People forget that although they're older teens they're still kids who deep down want to please their parents and other adults.

I think Wie needs to go back to the LPGA and work her way back to the form she once displayed as someone has already said.

beaujarkko
07-01-2007, 07:01 PM
My memory works in splashes. Wasn't it two years ago that Morgan was in contention for the USO crown before Birdie Kim nailed that amazing shot for birdie (ironically enough) from the 18th bunker?

jj

It was indeed. Morgan actually was tied with her at the time and didn't do anything to give it away. The title was taken from her with that shot.

Pressel was actually the first of the young group of girls (Wie, Pressel, Gulbis, Creamer) to win a major, which she did earlier this year. Ironically, she won by making a clutch birdie on 18 before Suzann Pettersen of Sweden played the last four holes in 4-over-par (I believe) to give Pressel the trophy.

Since that time, Birdie Kim hasn't found herself much in contention for anything. If it were to be that way for Pressel had she won, I'm awfully glad she didn't.

suliso
07-01-2007, 07:02 PM

jj

It was Presel. There was a lot of talk about that shot at the time with many calling it a fluke. Morgan is doing quite well by the way - has already won a major and is ranked #6 at the moment.

jjnow
07-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks, beau and suliso. I didn't even know Morgan had won a major. I'm guessing she would only be around 19 now so that's very impressive.

I don't follow the LPGA as much as I'd like. I think the reason Pressel stood out to me during the '05 Open was because the commentators discussed the Krickstein connection. They said at one point Herb Krickstein had originally taken Morgan out onto the tennis court. He decided she was a great ball striker, but lacked the movement to ever be one of the game's greats, so he decided to take her off the court and onto the green. Looks like he made a good decision.

I also loved that she took Michelle Wie to task on this playing PGA events nonsense.

jj

beaujarkko
07-01-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks, beau and suliso. I didn't even know Morgan had won a major. I'm guessing she would only be around 19 now so that's very impressive.

I don't follow the LPGA as much as I'd like. I think the reason Pressel stood out to me during the '05 Open was because the commentators discussed the Krickstein connection. They said at one point Herb Krickstein had originally taken Morgan out onto the tennis court. He decided she was great ball striker, but lacked the movement to ever be one of the game's greats, so he decided to take her off the court and onto the green. Looks like he made a good decision.

I also loved that she took Michelle Wie to task on this playing PGA events nonsense.

jj

Pressel earlier this year won the Kraft Nabisco LPGA Championship. And yes, the PGA tour-playing is ridiculous. I'm glad Morgan said something. Apparently someone needs to.

morct
07-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Just bringing this up again for the British Open if anyone is interested.

And Tiger is off to a flying start! :) He is bidding for a 3rd successive Open title.

Moose
07-19-2007, 05:49 AM
I'm a big Jim Furyk fan, Morct. He's from the same town (West Chester, Pa) that I work in, and he's got the most entertaining swing in the sport right now.

Ti-Amie
07-19-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks Morct. Isn't this supposed to be one of the hardest courses in the world?

morct
07-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Thanks Morct. Isn't this supposed to be one of the hardest courses in the world?

Yes Ti, but it has been toned down from the last time the Open was played there in 1999(I think). That time a few players left the course in tears. The leader on day one ended up missing the cut, and the rough was compared to jungle!

That's why the players all look so happy today 'cos they are relieved it won't be as tortuous this time.

And just so everyone knows an irish man is leading at the moment on -5, Paul McGinley. :D

morct
07-19-2007, 05:59 AM
I'm a big Jim Furyk fan, Morct. He's from the same town (West Chester, Pa) that I work in, and he's got the most entertaining swing in the sport right now.

I like Jim Juryk too Moose, but he always looks sooooooooo serious. He needs to go hang out with Marat for a few nights. :D

Ti-Amie
07-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Yes Ti, but it has been toned down from the last time the Open was played there in 1999(I think). That time a few players left the course in tears. The leader on day one ended up missing the cut, and the rough was compared to jungle!

That's why the players all look so happy today 'cos they are relieved it won't be as tortuous this time.

And just so everyone knows an irish man is leading at the moment on -5, Paul McGinley. :D

This is a links course right? The NYTimes had an article just about the course on Sunday btw.

morct
07-19-2007, 06:46 AM
This is a links course right? The NYTimes had an article just about the course on Sunday btw.

Yep, links.

morct
07-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Will Sergio finally throw off the curse of the black spider??

He's on -8, 2 shots ahead of Steve Stricker of the USA, on the back 9 of the 3rd round.

Tiger tied 16th on -1.

I'd love to see Sergio finally win a major! :)

Foxykhat
07-21-2007, 09:53 AM

He's on -8, 2 shots ahead of Steve Stricker of the USA, on the back 9 of the 3rd round.

Tiger tied 16th on -1.

Hmmmm I'm still thinking he'll choke as usual. Maybe this time he'll prove me wrong. Not a fan so.

Foxy

Ti-Amie
07-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't know if you guys ever heard Chris Rock (I think) talk about golf and how it's obviously based on the pimpfabulous styles of the fifties.

I'm convinced that he's right. Will someone explain Boo Weekley?
Thank you.

Looking at the leaderboard this is Sergio's to lose but stranger things have happened. It would be his first major in how long? Does the curse end once you've managed to excel at your line of work again?

jjnow
07-21-2007, 05:16 PM

Tiger tied 16th on -1.

Totally agree, morct. A Sergio win (finally!) would be great!

jj

shtexas
07-21-2007, 09:28 PM
The promise at 19 finally coming through at 27 would be like golf's version of Amelie Mauresmo.

Best of luck Sergio! :cool:

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 04:02 AM
They just showed a man with a bucket trying to empty a bunker of all the water... Yeah, today should be a real challenge! :D

morct
07-22-2007, 04:03 AM
I don't know if you guys ever heard Chris Rock (I think) talk about golf and how it's obviously based on the pimpfabulous styles of the fifties.

I'm convinced that he's right. Will someone explain Boo Weekley?
Thank you.

Looking at the leaderboard this is Sergio's to lose but stranger things have happened. It would be his first major in how long? Does the curse end once you've managed to excel at your line of work again?

First major ever Ti.

Looking forward to the play today to see if he can pull it out. Shtexas is right, it would be like Amelie winning her first GS, but actually more when she won Wimbledon, 'cos she really WON there.

morct
07-22-2007, 04:36 AM
They just showed a man with a bucket trying to empty a bunker of all the water... Yeah, today should be a real challenge! :D

They have guys with mops trying to dry up the greens a bit too! Never seen that before... the weather both here and in Great Britain is absolutely atrocious.

suliso
07-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Sergio choking again :undecided:

morct
07-22-2007, 08:20 AM
Sergio is steadying again but........................

COME ON PADRAIG HARRINGTON.. :fencing:

suliso
07-22-2007, 08:24 AM
I see you have someone to cheer for ;)

If Sergio can't win, I would prefer big Earnie. For some reason I've always liked him :)

morct
07-22-2007, 08:25 AM
I see you have someone to cheer for ;)

If Sergio can't win, I would prefer big Earnie. For some reason I've always liked him :)

I like Ernie too Suliso, but I'm irish so to see Padraig win a major would be really special. :)

suliso
07-22-2007, 08:27 AM
I like Ernie too Suliso, but I'm irish so to see Padraig win a major would be really special. :)

I bet it would and right now he is tied for the lead!

morct
07-22-2007, 08:43 AM
3 tied for the lead now, Sergio, Romero and Harrington......... it's about as exciting as golf gets!

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
3 tied for the lead now, Sergio, Romero and Harrington......... it's about as exciting as golf gets!

Yup... :) But how sorry are we gonna feel for Sergio if he lets this one get away? :undecided:

GVGirl
07-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Yup... :) But how sorry are we gonna feel for Sergio if he lets this one get away? :undecided:

It's the curse of you know who...

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 09:12 AM
It's the curse of you know who...

Makes me wonder what Romero has been up to :D :lipsrsealed: Looks like he's going to drop at least three shots now...

suliso
07-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Makes me wonder what Romero has been up to :D :lipsrsealed: Looks like he's going to drop at least three shots now...

Amazing isn't it? From two ahead to two behind in a single hole...

morct
07-22-2007, 09:21 AM

:hyst::hyst:

I hate rooting against anyone but ............

morct
07-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Looks like Romero will finish on -7.

Sergio and Padraig tied on -9 on the moment with just a few holes to go.

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Romero in the clubhouse at -6. Ouch.

So, now then... A European major winner? Can't imagine both Garcia AND Harrington stuffing up now.

:freekingout:

morct
07-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Romero in the clubhouse at -6. Ouch.

So, now then... A European major winner? Can't imagine both Garcia AND Harrington stuffing up now.

Don't jinx them Mr. Koffie!

morct
07-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Are you watching on BBC Mr. Koffie?? Gary Lineker is interviewing Romero in spanish and translating also!

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Are you watching on BBC Mr. Koffie?? Gary Lineker is interviewing Romero in spanish and translating also!

Indeed I am, and yeah, I saw that :) I remember him doing the same last year with some Spanish speaker who was a real *****le; hardly said a full sentence in reply. At least Romero was too shellshocked to be rude...

morct
07-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Indeed I am, and yeah, I saw that :) I remember him doing the same last year with some Spanish speaker who was a real *****le; hardly said a full sentence in reply. At least Romero was too shellshocked to be rude...

Yeah he was pretty composed for someone who had just thrown away the Championship!

Now everyone's fingers crossed for an irishman to win please.

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Water...

morct
07-22-2007, 09:55 AM
And bloody Harrington is in the water on the 18th. :o

morct
07-22-2007, 09:58 AM
This is worse than watching Kim in GS finals!

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 10:00 AM
This is worse than watching Kim in GS finals!

And it'll probably get worse for your nerves ;) Padraig will probably drop a shot now, but even with that, looking at how today has been, we'll probably have a play-off before we have a winner! They play any extra holes right away, don't they? Don't feel like waiting till tomorrow...

morct
07-22-2007, 10:01 AM
And it'll probably get worse for your nerves ;) Padraig will probably drop a shot now, but even with that, looking at how today has been, we'll probably have a play-off before we have a winner! They play any extra holes right away, don't they? Don't feel like waiting till tomorrow...

Yeah, if it goes to a play off it happens straight away.

You are right, my nerves are absolutely shot!

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm SO sorry for what just happened, morct :cry:

suliso
07-22-2007, 10:06 AM
double water - looks like van de Velde all over again...

jjnow
07-22-2007, 10:07 AM
The way Harrington is going, Romero isn't completely out.

jj

suliso
07-22-2007, 10:08 AM
The way Harrington is going, Romero isn't completely out.

jj

Nahh, Sergio is also still 2 ahead. Looks real good for him right now.

morct
07-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Yeah, looking good for Sergio all right. :cry:

jjnow
07-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Nahh, Sergio is also still 2 ahead. Looks real good for him right now.
But, this is Sergio. It's time for him to hold it together.

jj

morct
07-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Poor Padraig - he is one of the nicest players out there.

He double bogeyed the 18th on Friday as well.

suliso
07-22-2007, 10:15 AM
So it all comes to this for Sergio - one ahead and one to play. Can he do it or not?

jjnow
07-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Poor Padraig - he is one of the nicest players out there.

He double bogeyed the 18th on Friday as well.
Did you see his son try to run out onto the green too early? His mother pulled him back by his shirt. He was excited. :)

It's on Sergio now.

jj

morct
07-22-2007, 10:16 AM
I'll be happy to see Garcia win too, just not as happy!

suliso
07-22-2007, 10:17 AM
It's not over yet! It's easy to make bogey or worse at 18...

morct
07-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm SO sorry for what just happened, morct :cry:

Thanks Mr. Koffie..............

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Career moment... C'mon Sergio!

- edit -

Sand :lipsrsealed:

morct
07-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Bunker for Sergio - OMG this is so exciting!

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Ohw

My

GAWD!

Well... Time for some popcorn, a fizzy drink and a comfy chair.

jjnow
07-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Oh.My.God.

Playoff!

jj

suliso
07-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Play-off!!!!

morct
07-22-2007, 10:30 AM
IT's a 4 hole play off - did you see that putt??????????

suliso
07-22-2007, 10:31 AM
A fraction of an inch to the right and Sergio would have had it...

morct
07-22-2007, 10:32 AM
A fraction of an inch to the right and Sergio would have had it...

did you see his face?? He thought it had gone in.

I don't know if I can watch much more of this.

Ti-Amie
07-22-2007, 10:33 AM
IT's a 4 hole play off - did you see that putt??????????

They're showing it live here on ABC. I thought it was going in. Damn.

jjnow
07-22-2007, 10:35 AM
The last playoff I remember was 2005 Masters between Woods and DiMarco.

Here we go...

jj

morct
07-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Well they finally found a flag for the first hole so we can get going.

suliso
07-22-2007, 10:56 AM
I am about 90% sure about Harrington's win right now...

morct
07-22-2007, 11:13 AM
I just wish the 18th wasn't one of the holes in the play off, lol.

aedra1119
07-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Ouch. Looked like Garcia had the birdie on the 17th in the playoff.

I missed the 72nd hole. Did Garcia choke again??

Double ouch for Harrington. If only Garcia had made that birdie.

morct
07-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Ouch. Looked like Garcia had the birdie on the 17th in the playoff.

I missed the 72nd hole. Did Garcia choke again??

Double ouch for Harrington. If only Garcia had made that birdie.

They both choked on the 72nd, Harrington way worse than Garcia.

morct
07-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Now Padraig, just hold it together here..........

morct
07-22-2007, 11:30 AM
What a shot from Garcia...........

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Dear lawd that was close from Sergio... :lipsrsealed:

jjnow
07-22-2007, 11:38 AM
Huge congrats to Harrington.

Sergio, Sergio, Sergio. He is golf's Amelie Mauresmo!

jj

Foxykhat
07-22-2007, 11:39 AM
So Garcia CHOKED again huh?!! Pity, not a fan but I was starting to feel sorry for him just a tad bit.

I was hoping that Ernie could do something here as well.

Congrats to Harrington.

Foxy

oploskoffie
07-22-2007, 11:40 AM
My my my... Congrats to Padraig! Very well done indeed :notworthy:

Sergio... How's about Guy Forget for a coach ;)

aedra1119
07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Congrats to Harrington!

For some reason ABC switched feeds with CNN Headline News, so all I had was sound, but no picture for about 10 minutes! :mad: Although, I got the picture back just in time to see Harrington's last shot. :rolleyes:

*sigh* So, Garcia does it again? From what I "heard," it seems like he almost made a shot to force another playoff hole?

jjnow
07-22-2007, 11:58 AM
Congrats to Harrington!

For some reason ABC switched feeds with CNN Headline News, so all I had was sound, but no picture for about 10 minutes! :mad: Although, I got the picture back just in time to see Harrington's last shot. :rolleyes:

*sigh* So, Garcia does it again? From what I "heard," it seems like he almost made a shot to force another playoff hole?
Yes, aedra. He lost by one stroke in the playoff.

How quick are the dudes over at Wikipedia?

Sergio's bio:

He has yet to win a major championship, having most recently lost the 2007 (British) Open Championship in a playoff, and has not won a tournament for over two years.

I love that place.

jj

morct
07-22-2007, 12:00 PM
HUGE KUDOS TO PADRAIG HARRINGTON, BRITISH OPEN CHAMPION OF 2007.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:: yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Last time I teared up at a sporting event was when Kimmy won the USO.

jjnow
07-22-2007, 12:04 PM
BTW, congrats to Ireland too, morct!

Time to break out the singing? We'll sing a song, a soldier's song, with cheering, rousing chorus... :D

(that's all I know!)

jj

morct
07-23-2007, 09:12 AM
BTW, congrats to Ireland too, morct!

Time to break out the singing? We'll sing a song, a soldier's song, with cheering, rousing chorus... :D

(that's all I know!)

jj

Thanks jj. :D

I think there were quite a few irish voices raised in song last night around Carnoustie!

morct
04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Bumping this up for the Masters which started today.

patrick
04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
Will Tiger be 2 up on Federer in Majors after this weekend?

Tiger(13) : Masters(1997,2001,2002,2005)/USO(2000,2002)/British Open(2000,2005,2006)/PGA(1999/2000/2006/2007)

Roger(12) : Australian(2004,2006,2007)/Wimbledon(2003-2007)/USO(2004-2007)

morct
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Will Tiger be 2 up on Federer in Majors after this weekend?

Tiger(13) : Masters(1997,2001,2002,2005)/USO(2000,2002)/British Open(2000,2005,2006)/PGA(1999/2000/2006/2007)

Roger(12) : Australian(2004,2006,2007)/Wimbledon(2003-2007)/USO(2004-2007)

I'd love to see Tiger win it - of course I'd prefer to see Padraig Harrington win it - but I hope he doesn't run away with it. I really enjoy a good tight finish at the majors.

suliso
04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Ernie Els would be nice. Not very likely, though :(

Kirkus
04-10-2008, 10:25 AM
If Tiger's in the hunt he automatically gets my cheers, if not it goes to Philly, Adam Scott or the Almost Ex Martina Hingis, Sergio Garcia.

Despite his friendship with Roger... :D I'm still a big Tiger Rooter!!

mrjiggyfly2
04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
I just received word that my brother and a good friend of ours will be attending the Masters this weekend. I'm more than slightly jealous.

oploskoffie
04-10-2008, 10:42 AM
Whehehehey, Craig Stadler within a few shots of the lead. Good old Walrus :cheesy:

morct
04-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I just received word that my brother and a good friend of ours will be attending the Masters this weekend. I'm more than slightly jealous.

I'd be jealous too.

mrjiggyfly2
04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Whehehehey, Craig Stadler within a few shots of the lead. Good old Walrus :cheesy:

Yeah, but has he teed off yet?? :)

Kirkus
04-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I just read that Ian Poulter aced the 16th and took over the lead.

ptmcmahon
04-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Poulter is leading at -2 right now. Luke Donald has been near the top all day too. Golf channel is doing a big piece on Poulter now. Talking about his old quote about when he reaches potential it will be just him and Tiger.

On a side note, if I get the golf channel (which I do like) how come I don't also get the tennis channel? :confused:

oploskoffie
04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, but has he teed off yet?? :)

Funny man :p

Yeah, he's at -1 after 6.

oploskoffie
04-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Sandy Lyle at -3

:nutso:

Oh well. The people leading this kind of tournament after the first day are usually not the people in the top-10 three days later.... :o

oohsalmon
04-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Tiger has no birdies on Day 1.

Allez.

oploskoffie
04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
So... Two bogeys and one eagle for Tiger. He's never broken 70 in the first round of the Masters. Guess he's doing just fine, considering he was nowhere near his best.

patrick
04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
If Tiger shoots his normal first round at the Masters, he will be up very comfortably(3 strokes or more) when play starts on Sunday.

ptmcmahon
04-11-2008, 04:13 AM
4 back after one day is very comfortable territory for him. He's smart and knows he doesn't have to force anything yet.

morct
04-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Justin Rose off to a good start too. :)

ptmcmahon
04-11-2008, 06:04 AM
It's tradition for him though. Golf channel showed his averages per round - 67 something on Thursdays...71 or higher the other three days. This is third time he's been the day 1 leader...so far he has not held it through day 2 yet.

morct
04-11-2008, 06:09 AM
It's tradition for him though. Golf channel showed his averages per round - 67 something on Thursdays...71 or higher the other three days. This is third time he's been the day 1 leader...so far he has not held it through day 2 yet.

Absolutely right, but nevertheless I still expect him to manage to hold it together for 4 days soon.

oploskoffie
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Immelman in the clubhouse lead (-8) after a nice round of 68 :) Snedeker in second after 15.

ptmcmahon
04-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Tiger starts birdie - bogey.

Immelman's low score means there will be less making the cut - it's top 44 plus ties AND anyone within 10 shots of the lead.

Right now +3 looks like cut.

Kirkus
04-11-2008, 02:53 PM
And look at the names in trouble:

Garcia
Els
Howell III
Donald
Harrington
Appleby
O'Meara

!!! :shocked:

C'mon Adam!!!

oploskoffie
04-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Snedeker in the lead at -8 after 6. Tiger slowly closing in at -4 after 13. Methinks if Tiger finishes at -5 or better, he's completely back in it on sunday.

morct
04-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Phil is right up there at -5, nobody is mentioning him at all.......

oploskoffie
04-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Phil is right up there at -5, nobody is mentioning him at all.......

Sorry :o

And how's about Paul Casey at -7? :shocked:

morct
04-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry :o

And how's about Paul Casey at -7? :shocked:

I think it suits Phil to be low key.

As you may have guessed I'd love to see a european win it though. :) Paul Casey would do nicely. He's on -8 now.

patrick
04-12-2008, 02:20 PM
Snedeker in the lead at -8 after 6. Tiger slowly closing in at -4 after 13. Methinks if Tiger finishes at -5 or better, he's completely back in it on sunday.

Spot on.

For some reason when Tiger won it before, he was able to play conversative as the players behind him made bad shot choices.

suliso
04-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Tiger needs to be in the lead. He never wins from behind.

oploskoffie
04-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Tiger needs to be in the lead. He never wins from behind.

True :cheesy::lipsrsealed: So, unless Snedeker, Casey, Immelman and Flesh turn a peachy round into a turnip...............

oploskoffie
04-12-2008, 03:27 PM
True :cheesy::lipsrsealed: So, unless Snedeker, Casey, Immelman and Flesh turn a peachy round into a turnip...............

Snedeker is the first on the way to turnip country. He's gone from -9 to -7 and he's just tossed one in the creek. Oy vey...

oohsalmon
04-12-2008, 03:30 PM
They're all really trying to give Tiger the lead going into Sunday...

suliso
04-12-2008, 03:49 PM
A wire to wire victory for Trevor Immelman looks likely...

ptmcmahon
04-12-2008, 10:32 PM
And look at the names in trouble:

O'Meara

!!! :shocked:

C'mon Adam!!!

Ummm,...not really shocked about O'Meara were ya? :)

ptmcmahon
04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
A wire to wire victory for Trevor Immelman looks likely...

He head lost the lead for a bit yesterday, so dunno if true wire to wire...but yeah, he's looking good. A good day from Tiger and he only gains one shot!

oploskoffie
04-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Only Immelman and Snedeker left to tee off. Who do you fancy to win?

morct
04-13-2008, 11:46 AM

If it's from these 2 I'd say Immelman should swing it.

Did you notice Padraig has had 2 birdies in the first 3 holes. :)

morct
04-13-2008, 11:48 AM

Both of them bogied the first! :rolleyes:

oploskoffie
04-13-2008, 11:54 AM
If it's from these 2 I'd say Immelman should swing it.

Did you notice Padraig has had 2 birdies in the first 3 holes. :)

Yeah, noticed Padraig pop up in the "interesting" zone. :D Good luck to him today!

Oh, and I'm hereby saying Immelman will crumble. No idea if Snedeker can hack it either. So, ehm, Flesch? :p

oploskoffie
04-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Both of them bogied the first! :rolleyes:

Plenty more holes to go.

:lipsrsealed:

morct
04-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, noticed Padraig pop up in the "interesting" zone. :D Good luck to him today!

Oh, and I'm hereby saying Immelman will crumble. No idea if Snedeker can hack it either. So, ehm, Flesch? :p

Casey?

oploskoffie
04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Casey?

Until he actually pulls it off, I'm not placing my bets on him. Would be very cool if he does take the title... :)

oploskoffie
04-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Bogey at 4 for Tiger and he's not looking comfy. Casey and Flesch within two shots of the lead....

morct
04-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Casey now going backwards - there's a shock - are you watching it Mr. Koffie? It's on BBC over here.

oploskoffie
04-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Casey now going backwards - there's a shock - are you watching it Mr. Koffie? It's on BBC over here.

Yeah, I got the Beeb on alright! :D Shame about Casey fluffing it, and Tiger's not doing anything to further his cause either. Immelman still going strong. Maybe he won't crumble after all........

morct
04-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Casey is having a nightmare of a day.

oploskoffie
04-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Casey is having a nightmare of a day.

What was it? Six shots dropped over five holes? Nasty :(

patrick
04-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Nice to afford a double bogey on 16 when you are up by 5. Trevor won by 3. Tiger fininshed 2nd but was never in contention all week.

Foxykhat
04-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Nice to afford a double bogey on 16 when you are up by 5. Trevor won by 3. Tiger fininshed 2nd but was never in contention all week.

Funny isn't it, imagine if he was in contention. Can't believe he actually finished second. I thought at least 4th

Foxy

patrick
04-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Funny isn't it, imagine if he was in contention. Can't believe he actually finished second. I thought at least 4th

Foxy

He was in 4th the majority of the day until the final 1 or 2 hours.

ptmcmahon
04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Pretty much everyone choked. Immelman made it very interesting at the end there...imagine if he had come back to Tiger! Love Tiger's reaction to his 18th hole birdie. He is following in Jack's footsteps with lots of second place finishes as well. Tells you how great he is when he only plays his B game and still gets second.

Ti-Amie
06-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Depth Charge for Missinandre.

How did Tiger and crew do?

mrjiggyfly2
06-12-2008, 10:22 PM
I will be attending the final round on Sunday :)

patrick
06-13-2008, 03:39 AM
Depth Charge for Missinandre.

How did Tiger and crew do?

Tiger +1
Phil E

ptmcmahon
06-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Only 3 and 4 shots back. Some unlikely people on leaderboard, esp. the leaders so they are both very much in it.

nelslus
06-14-2008, 08:25 AM
BTW- WOO HOO re: Tiger's back nine (even nelslus shudders at the TAT posts that can be made thanks to nelslus referring to Tiger's back nine....) yesterday at golf's US Open. :thumbsup:

oploskoffie
06-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I will be attending the final round on Sunday :)

Coolness!!! :) Will you be following certains groups across the course, or will you set up camp at, say, the 18th?

nelslus
06-14-2008, 08:30 AM
Gotta admit this. My man and I have learned (via the Western Open) that it is truly exhausting following Tiger for 18 holes (AKA, what baby nelslus will do for love. :))

mrjiggyfly2
06-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Coolness!!! :) Will you be following certains groups across the course, or will you set up camp at, say, the 18th?

Mr. K. I think lots of walking. I've never seen Torrey Pines and I want to see as many holes as possible. I obviously want to follow Tiger. I hope it's not too mobbed.

nelslus
06-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Mr. K. I think lots of walking. I've never seen Torrey Pines and I want to see as many holes as possible. I obviously want to follow Tiger. I hope it's not too mobbed.

Ya ain't gonna get THIS wish, jiggy. Trust me on this.

patrick
06-14-2008, 11:40 AM

Not happening especially Tiger was one off the lead before today's play.

Pierre1
06-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Tiger Woods double-bogeys the 1st and bogeys the 4th to slip to one over as the third round of the US Open warms up at Torrey Pines.

Could have been worse. :p

aedra1119
06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Could have been worse. :p

True. He could have quadruple bogeyed the No. 13 like Phil. :lipsrsealed:

Pierre1
06-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Eww, Phil. It's the lowest score. Knucklehead.

missinandre
06-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Here it is!

Torey Pines is very wacky right now....and poor Stuart Appleby! I can't imagine how he feels today after losing the lead...:(

But folks....Tiger is....walking with a cane right now....true it is a golf club...but it doubles as a can...and you can actually see him grimace in pain....I hope he doesn't hurt himself seriously or injure that knee...and with three more holes to play...he will probably end the day at E......

Kirkus
06-14-2008, 06:28 PM
I thought Tiger was washed up?

Apparently no one gave him the memo.

Phil's quadruple-bogey wasn't fun to watch. But his response to a reporter was. He said he'd done that on the same hole before... when he was 8 years old. LOL.

missinandre
06-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Apparently no one gave him the memo.

Phil's quadruple-bogey wasn't fun to watch. But his response to a reporter was. He said he'd done that on the same hole before... when he was 8 years old. LOL.

Some of those double bogies were pretty hilarious.......

aedra1119
06-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Tiger looks to be walking better but still with the club. Hope he's ok.

Pierre1
06-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I turn my back for a second and Tiger is in 2nd. :shocked:

Kirkus
06-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh. My. God. I just love that guy. What a shot! He surprised himself. LOL.

patrick
06-14-2008, 06:58 PM
After Westwood missed an easy birdie, Tiger makes a birdie on 17 from the lye. Shot was good that NBC showed it 4 or 5 times.

Score:
Lee Westwood -2 finished for the day - only guy under par every round
Tiger Woods -1 after 17

That shot at 18 may haunt Westwood tomorrow

aedra1119
06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
That shot at 18 may haunt Westwood tomorrow

I think so, too.

Kirkus
06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure why Tiger's continuing to play. He's obviously in a lot of pain. I'd have to think his future must be on his mind.

Not to mention, what happens tomorrow? Is what he's doing to himself these past 3 days going to really affect his play on the final day?

Kirkus
06-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Sonofabitch! Amazing. Just amazing.

aedra1119
06-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Well! So Tiger eagles the last hole to take the lead. He's never lost a major after sharing or having the lead into the final day, no? But if his knee is really bothering him who knows what's going to happen tomorrow.

suliso
06-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure why Tiger's continuing to play. He's obviously in a lot of pain. I'd have to think his future must be on his mind.

Not to mention, what happens tomorrow? Is what he's doing to himself these past 3 days going to really affect his play on the final day?

He will win tomorrow, but his immediate future doesn't look so rosy any more. Just had a knee operation, but it is obviously still bothering him...

patrick
06-14-2008, 07:16 PM
All I can say on 18 is Wow. 5 shots down with 6 to go for today and guess what:

Woods -3 (All 13 majors came when he led or tied after 54)
Westwood -2 (missed birdie just haunted him)
Mediate -1 playing his 18th hole (leader for much of the day)

Will be drama as Tiger is aching badly on that knee.

Pierre1
06-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Sunday is his 1st Father's Day and his daughter's birthday is the 19th. :)

Oops, I think Sam Alexis was born on the 18th, but same idea. Sorry kid.

patrick
06-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Sunday is his 1st Father's Day and his daughter's birthday is the 19th. :)

More drama for him along with a knee problem. If Tiger hangs on, we are going to have a story for a very long time.

patrick
06-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Do you know that if Tiger wins tomorrow that he would have won each major at least 3 times?

4 - Masters 1999,2001,2002,2005
2 - US Open 2000,2002
3 - British Open 2000,2005,2006
4 - PGA 1999,2000,2006,2007

ptmcmahon
06-14-2008, 10:41 PM

I don't think I've ever heard one reputable source ever say that.

Do you know that if Tiger wins tomorrow that he would have won each major at least 3 times?

Kinda like someone else if not for a certain Spaniard :)

Kirkus
06-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I don't think I've ever heard one reputable source ever say that.

I didn't say "reputable".

ptmcmahon
06-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Porbably the same people making the Roger is washed up threads!

Back to back amazing final 9s for Tiger. He keeps you watching because you never know when he's going to pull out shots and days like these, crippled or no. How long til next major? Doubt he plays much before The Open, which I think is next, sometime in July.

patrick
06-15-2008, 04:39 AM
Porbably the same people making the Roger is washed up threads!

Back to back amazing final 9s for Tiger. He keeps you watching because you never know when he's going to pull out shots and days like these, crippled or no. How long til next major? Doubt he plays much before The Open, which I think is next, sometime in July.

Think you are right. Biritish Open is in a few weeks.

Ti-Amie
06-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I usually don't watch golf until the final round. There was nothing else on so I figure wth I'll watch and see whats going on. Needless to say the 13th, 17th and 18th holes are etched in my memory. Now I have to watch today although that knee looks very shaky.

nelslus
06-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I usually don't watch golf until the final round. There was nothing else on so I figure wth I'll watch and see whats going on. Needless to say the 13th, 17th and 18th holes are etched in my memory. Now I have to watch today although that knee looks very shaky.

It's so funny. I'm signed up to play today in this gay doubles league thingie at 4-6 p.m. Chicago time (my man gets the 6-8 p.m. slot.) Until I knew better, I had thought, SHOOT, now I'm gonna miss the golf US Open.

HA!

And let me tell you all- it ain't that often that the THIRD round of a major is so damned riveting.

Pierre1
06-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Rocco and Westwood running 1 and 2. BBC is saying that Tiger "doesn't look right." He's already in pain.

Kirkus
06-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Rocco and Westwood running 1 and 2. BBC is saying that Tiger "doesn't look right." He's already in pain.

He doesn't look right to me. But he didn't look right yesterday either. LOL.

I'd never count Tiger out. But double-bogey, bogey, to start the final round wasn't too pretty. Fortunately Mediate's been helping him out. Tiger seems to be settling in now.

patrick
06-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Just wait until the back 9 when Tiger's concentration will overcome the pain in his knee:

Lee Westwood -1 thru 5
Rocco Mediate E thru 6
Tiger Woods E thru 5
Geoff Oglivy +1 thur 6

Ti-Amie
06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
So how does this playoff work tomorrow? Do they have to play the entire 18 holes or is it sudden death?

patrick
06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
18 holf playoff tomorrow:

Woods -1
Mediate -1

Westwood birdie attempt fell short to force a 3 way playoff. Thought 13 would do Tiger in but somehow, he tied it.

patrick
06-15-2008, 05:58 PM
So how does this playoff work tomorrow? Do they have to play the entire 18 holes or is it sudden death?

Entire 18 holes tomorrow for the USGA
4 hole aggregate score for the British
3 hole aggregate score for the PGA
Sudden death for the Masters

missinandre
06-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh Tiger!

Oh baby!

What a putt!

Aw man that was SO COOL TO WATCH! And ....I'm going to be on the road for tomorrow's playoffs :(

aedra1119
06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
You really can never count Tiger out. Good luck to both tomorrow.

rabbit
06-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh Tiger!

Oh baby!

What a putt!

Aw man that was SO COOL TO WATCH! And ....I'm going to be on the road for tomorrow's playoffs :(

This and the Turkey-Czech Republic game made my day :)

oploskoffie
06-16-2008, 09:42 AM
The play-off is underway! Tiger +1, Rocco at Even after two.

ptmcmahon
06-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Rocco nearly got a hole in one on three!

patrick
06-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Rocco nearly got a hole in one on three!

No wonder he is up by one stroke after 4. Thanks.

munchin
06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
The only situations in which I really really enjoy golf are situations like this. Tense, sudden death-type moments (although this is a very long moment). There was that Masters (It was the PGA championship and its was Chris Dimarco) I think a couple years ago that came down to Tiger and Mickelson and it was almost the most fun I had watching any sporting event that year.

oploskoffie
06-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Need to see.... live... now... :(

Tiger -1, Rocco +1

munchin
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Need to see.... live... now... :(

Tiger -1, Rocco +1

Can you access the U.S. Open's livestream?

oploskoffie
06-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Can you access the U.S. Open's livestream?

Just managed to get TSN going via channelsurfing.net, just in time to see Tiger bogey the 8th. :(

I need to remember FF isn't very channelsurfing friendly :rolleyes:

Foxykhat
06-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Just managed to get TSN going via channelsurfing.net, just in time to see Tiger bogey the 8th. :(

I need to remember FF isn't very channelsurfing friendly :rolleyes:

I'm watching via channelsurfing as well was not happy with the bogey.

Boss is out to lunch or so he says. I'm sure he is somewhere (possibly home) watching.

Foxy

oploskoffie
06-16-2008, 10:56 AM
"Get ready to switch over to NBC"??? :mad:

Why can't it ever be easy? :cheesy:

oploskoffie
06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Whoa, big fluff by Rocco on the 9th. Tiger ahead by two shots going into the final 9!

munchin
06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Ugh, that par-5 coulda been really bad for Tiger and really good for Rocco....but it somehow works out the opposite way? Golf is as nervy as tennis. I never really realized.

morct
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm watching via channelsurfing as well was not happy with the bogey.

Boss is out to lunch or so he says. I'm sure he is somewhere (possibly home) watching.

Foxy

Lol, I guess there has to be some advantages to being the boss. :rolleyes:

oploskoffie
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Awesome putt from Tiger puts the pressure on Rocco - who inches past the hole. Tiger up by three. Is this over?

aedra1119
06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
It looks like Tiger is pulling away now. Tiger at E and Rocco at +3 after 10.

oploskoffie
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Tiger is really making this a day at the beach :rolleyes:

Pierre1
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Bogeys on 11 and 12. Eesh.

Kirkus
06-16-2008, 12:02 PM
:( I want to be home watching this!! :(