PDA

View Full Version : 2011 French Open SkanTest

PeterSkan
05-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Hey -

So this will be the official TAT thread for the 2011 French open SkanTest. At this point I expect the contest to unfold as per the norm, though the host site hasn't set up the entry page just yet. But in any event, no changes to the rules for this event.

But while I can't point you all to an entry procedure just yet, I can take this opportunity to express my deep thanks and appreciation to the fine staff here at TAT for allowing me to post this thread here. TAT has so many insightful posters, it's no surprise they do well traditionally in the SkanTest.

Of course that means you have to get your entries in. As always, new contestants are welcome.

Thanks, everybody, and best wishes to all contestants.

Peter

PeterSkan
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Hello to one and all, and welcome to this year's French Open Contest [or what I like to call the SkanTest]. Everyone is welcome to participate ... the more the merrier :)

Most importantly ... there is a prize for the winner :) yes - a modest gift of my selection from the product line of the Royal Canadian Mint!!

To enter your team, go here :

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanteam_submit.php?t_name=2011_RG_SkanCanTest

If you're not registered on that site you'll need to take a minute or so to do that first.

Here's how to play and pick your team:

1. The contest winner will be the poster whose registered team earns the highest number of points at the end of the tournament.

2. Valid entries consist of a team of 6 players [3 men and 3 women] all of whom must be included in the official tournament draw.

3. Rule 3 [The 30-rank rule]: The sum total of the current rankings of your players must be no less than 30 [though it can be more than 30]. If you pick an unseeded player, the host site automatically assigns a ranking.

IMPORTANT: So do not enter rankings for unseeded players. The Contest Administrative staff will look after that. Simply leave the ranking values blank for any such players on your team.

4. The order of your 6-named players is the most important factor in naming your team. It represents the weighting of your players for purposes of earning what I call "domination points" :cheesy:.

Here's a sample entry:

[B]Team Claybusters

1. Nadal [Ranking = 1]
2. Djokovic [Ranking = 2]
3. Wozniacki [Ranking = 1]
4. Zvonareva [Ranking = 3]
5. Petkovic [Ranking = 15]
6. Raonic ;) [Ranking = 28]

Total of Rankings = 50

Cheerleader[s]: The Staff of the Moulin Rouge

5. You cannot name a team consisting of the same players in the same order as a team already entered. However, you can enter a team consisting of the same players as another team, provided those players are in a different order. If you try to enter a team already registered, the entry gets rejected = :rolleyes:

6. OK - it's not really a rule, but what’s a team without a cheerleading squad. So go ahead and nominate a cheerleader[s], just for fun. In fact, they don't even have to be a registered player. Be creative!

7. Assign a name to your team. You can edit the team name if you wish. Some day, hopefully before I die, I'll post a shortlist of some of the mroe creative entries

8. Good news: You don't have to even wait for the draw to come out [though that's not a bad idea], because you can change the composition of your team any number of times up to the start of play. But once play starts, that's it, you've "LOCKED IN THOSE LYRICS", um, so to speak.

I interrupt this post to bring you a

MESSAGE FROM THE SITE ADMINISTRATOR [Ace2Ace]

The tournament table is now setup.

Please remind the players to go by the RANKING numbers they see on the Team Submission page. People should be able to manage their teams themselves. It's the easiest thing "in the world" ... http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

__________________________________________________ __

OK ... I'm back. But what this means is ... sometimes the seedings for the tournament are different than the current rankings. The database is set up based on the rankings. The game doesn't care what name you give to a player, it goes by the ranking. If you pick the ATP player seeded 11th, your team will actually be populated with Andy Roddick, who's actually not in the tournament. All of the player's ranks are on the entry page, so make sure you get your numbers right!

__________________________________________________ ___

SCORING

OK - here are the basics:

1. Domination Points:

These are based on how soundly your players beat their opponents. A key factor in calculating these points is how high you have seeded them on your team. For example, if you seed Djokovic 2nd on your team and he spanks Dasco 6-0 6-0, you will get 60 points; however, if you seeded Nole 5th on your team, you will only get 24 points. On the other hand, if your player loses, you will lose the corresponding number of points. Also, no winning player will be penalized for losing more games than their opponent. In such cases the default is 0 points.

2. Progression Points

You get additional points whenever your players advance to the next round [10 for round 1, 20 for round 2, 30 for round 3, 50 for round 4, 80 for Round 5, etc.]. Catch on?

3. Quality Points

You get further points when your player defeats an opponent who is seeded in the tournament. The number of points is based on how highly the opponent is seeded. For example, if you have the #1 seed on your team and they defeat the 20th seed, you get 13 points [33 - 20].

If you need ANY help at ALL, please post a message!

Welcome to the game and good luck to all contestants!!

PeterSkan

Charlie02123
05-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Once upon a time I won this contest. It is such a blast and I always look forward to it. This year is no different!

PeterSkan
05-20-2011, 03:47 PM
All right! 23 teams already entered.

C'mon, TAT crew, get your picks in the mix!

oploskoffie
05-21-2011, 04:13 AM
In! :)

PeterSkan
05-21-2011, 07:21 AM
33 and counting. C'mon TAT - let's do it!

PeterSkan
05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
33 and counting. C'mon TAT - let's do it!
We're at 40+ keep them coming = :)

PeterSkan
05-21-2011, 11:07 AM
lol @ manolo's team name

Manager: Manolo
Team Name: Clayboy claymates
D=0 |V=0 |Q=0 |

dryrunguy
05-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Probably my riskiest team ever. :o

PeterSkan
05-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Probably my riskiest team ever. :o

lol @ Die Claydermaus

translation = the bat(tue)

dryrunguy
05-21-2011, 02:08 PM
lol @ Die Claydermaus

translation = the bat(tue)

You got the joke!!!! I'm thrilled!!!!

omess
05-21-2011, 03:02 PM
Question:

If I believe players A(men) & B(women) will win, Is it better to put them 1-2 or 5-6? or does it matter ?

Charlie02123
05-21-2011, 03:09 PM
lol @ manolo's team name
Team Name: Clayboy claymates

:cheesy:

I am in it to win it!

mysterX
05-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Question:

If I believe players A(men) & B(women) will win, Is it better to put them 1-2 or 5-6? or does it matter ?

You get more bonus points for 1 and 2 than you do for 5 and 6, so it makes sense to put the players you think will win the most matches in 1 and 2. That's how I've always done it (of course, I have never actually won one of these contests, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me :o)

Charlie02123
05-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Question:

You get more bonus points for 1 and 2 than you do for 5 and 6, so it makes sense to put the players you think will win the most matches in 1 and 2. That's how I've always done it (of course, I have never actually won one of these contests, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me :o)
You get a lot more points for your #1 than #6. Maybe check out the description one more time? :)

PeterSkan
05-21-2011, 06:32 PM
You get a lot more points for your #1 than #6. Maybe check out the description one more time? :)

I'd suggest putting the player as #1 who will go deep into the tournament while at the same time demolishing their opponents.

That's the magic formula.

My observation is that women tend to dominate more than men. The points formula controls for the difference in the number of sets between ATP and WTA matches.

But it's been a long time since I've had any real success as a contestant, and I invented the damn thing. So wadda I know.

:rolleyes:

jkfriedman
05-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm in

PeterSkan
05-21-2011, 07:58 PM
TennisAnyone74 ...

Good team. Great, in fact. You'll be rock & rollin' Roland again, for sure!

TennisAnyone74
05-21-2011, 08:12 PM
TennisAnyone74 ...

Thanks, Peter! This French Open is wide open, as there are quite a few players on both sides (atp & wta) I can see going deep. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

TA

borenore2
05-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Les Braves all set to get red.

Jay
05-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Got my team in just before the deadline, I think :p

I just hope I don't do too badly.

TennisAnyone74
05-24-2011, 09:05 AM
TennisAnyone74 ...

Well . . . so much for that! Thanks Nico! :mad:

TA

--cj--
05-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Well . . . so much for that! Thanks Nico! :mad:

TA

ugh... second that.

owendonovan
05-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Stupid Ivanovic, grrr.

PeterSkan
05-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Well,well ... I think this lends credence to the theory that everyone at some point in their posting lives will lead this contest ... [lol except, of course, Terrence and Randomskan]... yes - it's Tiw in the lead. This poster carries so many names, let's just say Maria's biggest fan. Now it's telling that Tiew has seeded his/her three female players in the top 3 positions. Now that the Contest equalizes results to a 3-set norm, I've often said there is a slight benefit to the women, who more often than not have blowout results. Seed them high and reap the rewards.

Just a theory, mind you.

Anyway, it's early going, and as abir advised, it's topsy turvy in the early going so don't pay too much heed to the current standings. On the other hand, I do recall one slam where Madd led from start to finish to claim top honours [and theprize = :) ]

I should say that while 69 entries is a middling to good number of participants, the line-up is almost exclusively made up of experienced contestants eadch of whom has produced a solid final showing at some point over the life of the contest.
Here's the link to the Round 1 standings [and note that you will be able to check your progress through the round-by-round links at the bottom of the page]:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanranking.php?t_name=2011_RG_SkanCanTest

PeterSkan
05-24-2011, 08:57 PM
By the Way ... as you know the results are divided into four tiers, each one carrying a name that I change from round to round ... usually a cheeky gamut of names on some theme. I've done this for years, but I can't claim credit for the current ones ... one of the Commissioners at the host site [probably Ace2Ace, I'm guessing] populated the fields in the database.

That got me thinking that there should be some benefit for the round leader, kind of like the yellow jersey in the TDF. So if the Round 1 leader, Tiw, wants to suggest the tier names for Round 2, s/he can let me know by tomorrow and if the suggestions work for me I'll use them. If not, that's fine as I have enough unused sets of tier names to last through the FO ... but I'm happy to save them for future use.

I'm confident Tiw will come up with something about Empresses

:rolleyes:

Jay
05-24-2011, 09:04 PM
ooh. I'm no.12! yay!

Others in the top tier: 09: Omegadoom, 11: Craighickman, 13:Oploskoffie, 14: Martini4me, 14: Mysterx, 17: and James7

:D

Thanks for posting these, Peter! :)

borenore2
05-25-2011, 04:42 AM
Thanks indeed Peter - especially for the PM reminder. After being double cheeked on the first day it was nice to have something else to look forward to.

PeterSkan
05-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks indeed Peter - especially for the PM reminder. After being double cheeked on the first day it was nice to have something else to look forward to.

Much obliged.

PeterSkan
05-26-2011, 07:03 PM
all right .. here we are fuly at the end of Round 2, and the mysterious MysterX had stormed to the front, and of course .. the yellow jersey!lead. That means TAT's very own Mr. X has the honour of naming the four tiers for the next round!

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/skanranking.php

What'll it be, MysterX? Something mysterious, no doubt!

Looking ahead, there's still lots of contestants with intact teams, including the top 24. So nothing's in the bag ... quite typical at this stage of the show.

PeterSkan
05-26-2011, 09:19 PM
MysterX has brought us to Switzerland ... or maybe Alberta = :)

1. We're High atop the Mountain !!!
2. We're Climbing that Hill
3. We're Down in the Valley
4. We're Mired in the Pits of the World

owendonovan
05-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks again for this contest Peter, not that I've ever come close to winning, but I've always enjoyed it!

PeterSkan
05-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks again for this contest Peter, not that I've ever come close to winning, but I've always enjoyed it!

My pleasure !

Ribbons
05-26-2011, 10:27 PM
You know it's a freaktastic tournament when Stosur and Sharapova are outperforming Nadal on domination points....

....and, of course Stosur goes down in flames practically as soon as I type that. Oy oy oy.

PeterSkan
05-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Three rounds are in the bag and we have a new leader: TAT's very own Omess, who now dons the yellow jersey. So, Omess, this gives you the right to propose the names of the four tiers for the next round of rankings. Let me know asap so I can upload the titles.

Here are the current standings:

Going forward, the field needs to keep an eye on the only two contestants with intact teams:

Swansrule: Djokovic, Nadal, Masha, Murray, Kvitova, Pavlyuochenkova

Waylandboy-tw: Nadal, Djokovic, Masha, Zvonareva, Ferrer, Petkovic

All the best the rest of the way!

PeterSkan

dryrunguy
05-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I've had a horrendous French Open on the contest front. And I don't expect predictions to buck the current trend. LOL!

PeterSkan
05-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Three rounds are in the bag and we have a new leader: TAT's very own Omess, who now dons the yellow jersey. So, Omess, this gives you the right to propose the names of the four tiers for the next round of rankings. Let me know asap so I can upload the titles.

Here are the current standings:

Going forward, the field needs to keep an eye on the only two contestants with intact teams:

Swansrule: Djokovic, Nadal, Masha, Murray, Kvitova, Pavlyuochenkova

Waylandboy-tw: Nadal, Djokovic, Masha, Zvonareva, Ferrer, Petkovic

All the best the rest of the way!

PeterSkan

SWANSRULE pointd out that Nonpro2000 also has a fully intact team:

Nadal, Nole, Vera, Gasquet, Masha, Schiavone

shtexas
05-28-2011, 02:54 PM
What a disaster! It's going to force me to play at Wimbledon just to try and redeem myself.

PeterSkan
05-30-2011, 08:20 PM
What a disaster! It's going to force me to play at Wimbledon just to try and redeem myself.

Well ... that's OK :)

PeterSkan
05-30-2011, 08:21 PM
We'll have to wait for the end of the Murray match to see who nabs the yellow jersey for Round 4. Currently Omess is on top!

omess
05-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Few Fran pickers in the top tier

Ribbons
05-31-2011, 05:29 PM
I am clearly a jinx: both Monfils and Pavs are on my team.

(Good thing I'm a Fed and Fran fan, too. :D )

ptmcmahon
05-31-2011, 09:15 PM
I'd suggest putting the player as #1 who will go deep into the tournament while at the same time demolishing their opponents.

That's the magic formula.

My observation is that women tend to dominate more than men. The points formula controls for the difference in the number of sets between ATP and WTA matches.

The problem is having any sort of confidence in any of the women. It was easy to pick Nole/Rafa/Fed...but women was much more of a crap shoot - that's why I always put the men higher...but that may just be a "safe" non winning strategy...if only the Williams were 100% healthy for Wimbledon it'd be a great place to try women in spots 1 and 2.

omess
06-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Yeah it is always hard for the women. But Sharapova/Azarenka seem like popular picks

PeterSkan
06-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Wow - what a tight race in the SkanTest. Swansrule nips into the lead to snagthe yellow jersey and earns tier naming rights for the next round.

What'll it be, Swansrule?

http://tennisgamers.com/board/skanranking.php?t_name=2011_RG_SkanCanTest

omess
06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Very close race

dryrunguy
06-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Very close race

You're representing TAT well in second place, omess!

This has to be my worst contest performance during a major ever. I'm getting killed in EVERYTHING.

Jay
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
You're representing TAT well in second place, omess!

This has to be my worst contest performance during a major ever. I'm getting killed in EVERYTHING.

Then it's a good thing you're not M8 or Moose. I shudder to think what you'd think of your performance then. :p

dryrunguy
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Then it's a good thing you're not M8 or Moose. I shudder to think what you'd think of your performance then. :p

Well, I'm sure they and others are all doing better than I am in other contests. Seriously, I am doing horribly in everything. I'll shut up now. :)

owendonovan
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm the highest ranked person with double digit quality points!!

PeterSkan
06-02-2011, 06:36 AM
I'm the highest ranked person with double digit quality points!!

While RandomSkan is the highest ranked contestant with single digit quality points

;)

PeterSkan
06-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Omess regains the lead ... WoW ... Deelia was so close, but Fed upset the apple cart . Only 22 Contestants have Fed on their teams, and they gained at the expense of the other 47.

Watch out for The Armada ...

Omess - you have the naming right for the final round ... let's have it!!!

oh wait - I see I have a PM ... ah yes! thanks for that, Omess. I'll get right on it!

omess
06-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Omess regains the lead ... WoW ... Deelia was so close, but Fed upset the apple cart . Only 22 Contestants have Fed on their teams, and they gained at the expense of the other 47.

Watch out for The Armada ...

Omess - you have the naming right for the final round ... let's have it!!!

oh wait - I see I have a PM ... ah yes! thanks for that, Omess. I'll get right on it!
I think if Nadal wins tomorrow, I will finish first. Vamos Rafa

PeterSkan
06-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I think if Nadal wins tomorrow, I will finish first. Vamos Rafa

I think it will take a minor miracle for you to be displaced even if Fed wins. Maybe a trible bagel by Nadal will put TinaMarie over the top, cause she has Nadal but not Fed, so she won't be penalized with Fed's losing points like you and a few others will be. But your lead is pretty safe, I think.

Only one Contestant has Fed but not Nadal, but the difference is too large to make up in case Fed wins.

omess
06-04-2011, 07:16 PM
AH thanks

PeterSkan
06-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Congratulations to Omess for winning this year's FO SkanTest. And kudos to Pamela for the runner up position and for taking ESPN honours. This is Pamela's first time on the podium ... it seems an outright victory at some point is inevitable. Rounding out the podium is ztm715.

Omess, please PM me to make arrangements for your prize.

Full standings here:

Thanks for competing, everyone, and make sure you get your teams in for this year's Wimbledon Contest, just a few weeks away!

YHS,

PeterSkan