PDA

View Full Version : Dwayne Wade SI Sportsman of the Year

aedra1119
12-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Wasn't sure where was the best place for this but here you go!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/magazine/specials/sportsman/2006/12/04/wade.sportsman/

Wow...ok...there were a LOT of more people deserving of this besides Wade. I mean, Federer, of course, and Woods, etc!

I know Federer has never gotten much attention from SI, but this is rediculous! He had probably the most dominant year in tennis history, and he is also now a UNICEF ambassador. We all know Fed's accomplishments.

I only follow other sports beside tennis occasionally, but even I know Wade was not the most deserving person this year.

jjnow
12-04-2006, 05:39 PM
From what I see, only 2 tennis players have ever won SI's SOTY.

1976 - Chris Evert
1992 - Arthur Ashe

That's some major neglect down the years. Eh, whatdya gonna do?

jj

Darcy
12-04-2006, 05:45 PM
In a nutshell: [smiley=furious3.gif]

oploskoffie
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
From what I see, only 2 tennis players have ever won SI's SOTY.

1976 - Chris Evert
1992 - Arthur Ashe

That's some major neglect down the years. Eh, whatdya gonna do?

jj

B.J. King had to share the honours with UCLA basketball coach John Wooden in 1972. And yeah: serious neglect to say the least. No Graf, no Johnny Mac, no Sampras. We all realize there's dozens of other sports out there, but what does a person have to do, eyh?

Danielle
12-04-2006, 05:51 PM
In a nutshell: [smiley=furious3.gif]

I second that sentiment Darcy!

Sebastien447
12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
You're living in fantasy land to think the SI would actually consider a tennis player. Very few people give a hoot about tennis in the U S. Sad but true.

Kirkus
12-04-2006, 06:00 PM
It pains me to say this, but if another tennis player was ever going to win this award, it would have to be Andre Agassi.

8 slams
A career grand slam
A pretty amazing comeback

And, I can't think of anyone in the sport as generous with his time and money.

bea26
12-04-2006, 06:03 PM
S.I. is ultimately an American magazine. That's not to say an American has to win it (but see the tennis players who DID take the honor in the past), but generally it goes to a sport that's more popular with the masses. Last three winners: baseball, football, now basketball. All people who led their respective teams to glory. Fed and more importantly tennis right now just doesn't have the same mass appeal sadly.

jjnow
12-04-2006, 06:03 PM
It pains me to say this, but if another tennis player was ever going to win this award, it would have to be Andre Agassi.

8 slams
A career grand slam
A pretty amazing comeback

And, I can't think of anyone in the sport as generous with his time and money.
I hadn't even considered that. Aside from Roger's amazing year, the Agassi retirement, anyone? End of an era?

jj

AcesHigh
12-05-2006, 10:32 AM
If he wins the calendar slam.. or when he passes Sampras, it would be very hard not to pick him. D-Wade was a terrible choice, especially since he plays alongside Shaq.

I remember SErena being close to winning, but I think they gave it to Lance Armstrong.. which is kind of hard to argue against.

aedra1119
12-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Wow again! I didn't realize how little recognition SI gave to tennis players. I guess it's not surprising that Federer didn't get it this year. If Graf didn't get it for her golden slam in 1988, then Fed definitely isn't. Thanks for the info everyone! ;D

mmmm8
12-05-2006, 07:49 PM
If he wins the calendar slam.. or when he passes Sampras, it would be very hard not to pick him. D-Wade was a terrible choice, especially since he plays alongside Shaq.

I remember SErena being close to winning, but I think they gave it to Lance Armstrong.. which is kind of hard to argue against.

But they won't.

I mean, Fed didn't even make one of those Si.com writers' essays on who they'd pick

craighickman
12-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, you the opportunity to vote for FOUR tennis players, including Fed, here:

http://www.ussa.edu/aoy/index.asp

suliso
12-07-2006, 01:00 PM
Nah, It will never happen regardless of any accomplishments. Tennis is not a mainstream sport + Fed is not American.

He will have to be content with winning similar prizes in his native Switzerland. I don't think he has all that much competition there ;D

Sebastien447
12-07-2006, 09:03 PM
It's halftime of the Heat/Kings game and Charles Barkley just said that Fed should have been sportsman of the year! He put Tiger at #2 and Wade at #4.

GO CHARLES! [smiley=overhead_clap.gif]

jjnow
12-07-2006, 09:28 PM
It's halftime of the Heat/Kings game and Charles Barkley just said that Fed should have been sportsman of the year! He put Tiger at #2 and Wade at #4.

I'll have to send a campaign contribution if runs for governor of Bama.

jj

mmmm8
12-08-2006, 04:32 AM

I'll have to send a campaign contribution if runs for governor of Bama.

jj

Wow, go Charles Barkley! Who's number 3?

Ti-Amie
12-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Barkley endorsed Federer huh? Is he from Dry's neck of the woods?

Don't know why this popped into my head this morning (it could be the huge Dwayne Wade banner that I pass every morning) but I was thinking that this award was more about image than performance. Wade is squeaky clean with no hint of scandal, multiple families or anything else around him. He is on his way to being mentioned with the greats of the game. Right now the NBA wants to clean up its image of a bunch of carousing, perpetually stoned and surly men and Wade is the perfect man to do that.

BTW did anyone see the tape of that fan riot in Serbia the other day? This country freaked out when a player went after a fan and they threw down. These were fans of rival basketball teams and they set fires, threw chairs, and pillaged (no evidence of the other part of that phrase) while the players stood on the court watching. Apparently basketball hooliganism is right up there with football hooliganism in parts of Europe. They say this has happened in Serbia before. That was scary stuff.

owendonovan
12-08-2006, 07:13 AM
I saw that riot Ti-Amie, they were shooting flares at each other also. I would say that the US national swimming team was pretty impressive also. Dwayne Wade is what the NBA needs to try to clean up it's image, but I don't think he is the Sportsman o' the year.

jkfriedman
12-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Nah, It will never happen regardless of any accomplishments. Tennis is not a mainstream sport + Fed is not American.

He will have to be content with winning similar prizes in his native Switzerland. I don't think he has all that much competition there ;D

I read somewhere that Roger didn't even win Sportsman of the year in Switzerland.

Here's a nice take on SI's snub
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2006/12/yearend_plans.html

Jon Wertheim did nominate & vote for him as sportsperson of the year (not a surprise!).

craighickman
12-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Barkley endorsed Federer huh? Is he from Dry's neck of the woods?

Don't know why this popped into my head this morning (it could be the huge Dwayne Wade banner that I pass every morning) but I was thinking that this award was more about image than performance. Wade is squeaky clean with no hint of scandal, multiple families or anything else around him. He is on his way to being mentioned with the greats of the game. Right now the NBA wants to clean up its image of a bunch of carousing, perpetually stoned and surly men and Wade is the perfect man to do that.

Nail hit on head.

I understand Fed fans being upset, but on other boards, they've commenced to riot about it. It just doesn't seem that deep to me. Only 3 tennis players in SI history? We get it. It's not about tennis, unless or until someone completely transcends the sport again. Federer is Federer, but he hasn't completely transcended tennis. (And the magazine had to wait until Arthur was dying of AIDS to recognize him, so let's keep it real...)

morancito
12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Here's a nice take on SI's snub
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2006/12/yearend_plans.html

Jon Wertheim did nominate & vote for him as sportsperson of the year (not a surprise!).

"Shaquille O'Neil"

No wonder he covers tennis.