PDA

View Full Version : CFB thread CFB thread CFB thread CFB

Sebastien447
09-23-2006, 02:25 PM
For me it doesn't get any better than the unbridled emotion of college football. I guess this thread is late ... but you know what is often said about that.

oh my my Bucks have been sucked into a mud bowl, but it looks as though they're on the road to recovery here ...

*bites nail-less nubs*

Darcy
09-23-2006, 02:52 PM
For me it doesn't get any better than the unbridled emotion of college football. I guess this thread is late ... but you know what is often said about that.

oh my my Bucks have been sucked into a mud bowl, but it looks as though they're on the road to recovery here ...

*bites nail-less nubs*

Do you mean the...*gasp* Buckeyes? Oh, dear...I'm a Michigan fan.
Oh well...peace. :P

Sebastien447
09-23-2006, 03:08 PM

*bites nail-less nubs*

LOL ... I don't take it that seriously, though I can be a handful on gamedays!

Like right now!!! They're flirting with defeat here ...

Darcy
09-23-2006, 05:54 PM

LOL ... I don't take it that seriously, though I can be a handful on gamedays!

Like right now!!! They're flirting with defeat here ...

Well, at least we can both root against Notre Dame... ;D Could get a little interesting at the end of the season, though. ;)

cphsrsh
09-24-2006, 02:54 AM
I hate college football!

Like college basketball, second rate competition is no fun to me.

Sebastien447
09-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Then you probably should not post in this thread methinks! :D

Sebastien447
09-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Well, at least we can both root against Notre Dame... ;D

I CANNOT BELIEVE ND WON!?? They were getting worked but I was unable to see any of the second half. Did MSU just give that game to them or what? Luck of the Irish is alive and well looks like!!

Sebastien447
09-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Well lemme see here, who's #1 this week, oh but of course it's

THE BUCKEYES!!!

Darcy
09-25-2006, 07:45 PM
Well lemme see here, who's #1 this week, oh but of course it's

THE BUCKEYES!!!

[smiley=blahs.gif]

Oh...and the ND vs Mich. State game...they should have never turned their backs on that leprechaun. Unbelievable. Went to bed confident of a total domination... :o

Sebastien447
09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
[smiley=blahs.gif]

I may be quiet after this Saturday. The Bucks are at Iowa. This could be the toughest game of the year for tOSU.

GO BUCKS!!!

Hey darcy, I'm pulling for OSU and Michigan to win out until the showdown. We could be one/two going into that game! Would that be HUGE or what?!! It's ALWAYS huge, so this would be even HUGER!

cphsrsh
09-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Duly noted, Sebastien.

I like CAL but they haven't done much since shocking USC 2-3 years ago.

Have fun in this thread everyone.

Sebastien447
09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I like CAL but they haven't done much since shocking USC 2-3 years ago.

Cal's great CP! They had a tough loss at Tenn, but since then they've been tearing it up!

*dangles Golden Bear shaped CFB carrot in front of CP*

Sebastien447
10-01-2006, 11:04 AM
To the few who read this thread:

The Buckeyes are scary great. I know I'm spoiled as a Buckyey fan, but this team could be one of the best ever. The only test left is Michigan, and they're looking pretty damn scary good too!

GO BUCKS!!!

Darcy
10-01-2006, 06:36 PM

The Buckeyes are scary great. I know I'm spoiled as a Buckyey fan, but this team could be one of the best ever. The only test left is Michigan, and they're looking pretty damn scary good too!

GO BUCKS!!!

Yeah...I think you're right, I'm going to be a basket case when they play because I do think this is one of the best ever OSU teams.

Go Blue! :P

And...I don't want to talk about my Tigers...I needed a rubber room today. >:(

Sebastien447
10-03-2006, 05:30 PM

GO BUCKS!!!

Yeah...I think you're right, I'm going to be a basket case when they play because I do think this is one of the best ever OSU teams.

Which Tigers? Auburn? I went to grad school there.

And I'm pulling for the Blue to win out and face the Bucks as the nation's #2 Darcy. How BIG would that be?!!! I believe my head would explode!!!!

Darcy
10-03-2006, 05:37 PM

GO BUCKS!!!

Which Tigers? Auburn? I went to grad school there.

And I'm pulling for the Blue to win out and face the Bucks as the nation's #2 Darcy. How BIG would that be?!!! I believe my head would explode!!!!

That would be the...*cough*...choking Detroit Tigers, my first sports love. :P

OSU vs. UofM? Being #1 and #2? Huge. I may have to have a few cocktails before I watch. :-/

Sebastien447
10-03-2006, 05:44 PM
That would be the...*cough*...choking Detroit Tigers, my first sports love. :P

OSU vs. UofM? Being #1 and #2? Huge. I may have to have a few cocktails before I watch. :-/

a few??? if tOSU and Michigan are 1,2 going into the biggest rivalry in all of sports I will be drinking, smoking, and anything else I can get my hands on!

good luck to your Tigers, ahh sh!t a Tiger just thrown out trying to steal third! >:(

Go Tigers! BOO Yankees!

Sebastien447
10-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Oklahoma/Texas
LSU/Florida
Michigan St/Michigan
USC/Washington

ALL on TV right now, with Oregon/Cal and Tenn/Georgia to follow later!!! I love fall Saturdays!!!

GO LONGHORNS, TIGERS, SPARTANS, HUSKIES, VOLS AND DUCKS!!!

[smiley=woot.gif]

Darcy
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
And I'm pulling for the Blue to win out and face the Bucks as the nation's #2 Darcy...

Still on track...:P It might be hard for Michigan to claim #2 though.

Sebastien447
10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
And I'm pulling for the Blue to win out and face the Bucks as the nation's #2 Darcy...

Still on track...:P It might be hard for Michigan to claim #2 though.

Well, Michigan is #5 today with a long way to go yet for everyone. Auburn was exposed yesterday. Michigan has Penn St and Iowa still. Florida has many tough SEC games ahead. USC has Oregon, Cal, Arizona St., Notre Dame and UCLA to go and they haven't looked that great last two Sats. And West Virginia is going to get ROCKED at Louisville.

It very well could happen! I hope the Blue make it because the Bucks will be waiting as #1. We have nobody left until Nov. 18.

Sebastien447
10-09-2006, 02:53 PM
CFB rankings as of 10/10/06:

AP

1. Ohio State (63) 6-0 1,623
2. Florida 6-0 1,516
3. USC 5-0 1,451
4. Michigan 6-0 1,429
5. West Virginia (2) 5-0 1,416
6. Texas 5-1 1,294
7. Louisville 5-0 1,247
8. Tennessee 5-1 1,159
9. Notre Dame 5-1 1,068
10. California 5-1 1,017
11. Auburn 5-1 943
12. Clemson 5-1 876
13. Georgia Tech 5-1 739
14. LSU 4-2 693
15. Iowa 5-1 661
16. Georgia 5-1 615
17. Arkansas 4-1 482
18. Oregon 4-1 474
19. Missouri 6-0 469
20. Boise State 6-0 449
21. Nebraska 5-1 431
22. Virginia Tech 4-1 360
23. Oklahoma 3-2 271
24. Rutgers 5-0 194
25. Wisconsin 5-1 86

USA Today

1. Ohio State (62) 6-0 1,574
2. USC 5-0 1,461
3. Florida (1) 6-0 1,412
4. West Virginia 5-0 1,398
5. Michigan 6-0 1,358
6. Texas 5-1 1,240
7. Louisville 5-0 1,207
8. Notre Dame 5-1 1,044
9. Tennessee 5-1 1,031
10. Auburn 5-1 958
11. California 5-1 911
12. Clemson 5-1 899
13. Iowa 5-1 672
14. Georgia 5-1 661
15. Georgia Tech 5-1 592
16. LSU 4-2 565
17. Virginia Tech 4-1 523
18. Oregon 4-1 510
19. Boise State 6-0 472
20. Nebraska 5-1 460
21. Missouri 6-0 387
22. Oklahoma 3-2 268
23. Arkansas 4-1 264
24. Rutgers 5-0 261
25. Boston College 4-1 108

Sebastien447
10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
The Ohio State Buckeyes

They are 6-0, so far ... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOdg58kqOm8)

Sebastien447
10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
I knew it was a mistake not to order Game Plan this year. All at about the same time this Sat ...

Florida at Auburn
Michigan at Penn St
Arizona St at USC

I'll probably get ASU/USC ::)

Sebastien447
10-14-2006, 04:56 PM
I knew it was a mistake not to order Game Plan this year. All at about the same time this Sat ...

Florida at Auburn
Michigan at Penn St
Arizona St at USC

I'll probably get ASU/USC ::)

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

[smiley=woo_hoo.gif] [smiley=woot.gif] [smiley=woo_hoo.gif]

Sebastien447
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
THE NEW BCS RANKINGS ARE HERE! THE NEW BCS RANKINGS ARE HERE! (to understand my excitement, please picture Steve Martin in the new phone book scene from the movie "The Jerk."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings

mrjiggyfly2
10-16-2006, 03:17 AM
THE NEW BCS RANKINGS ARE HERE! THE NEW BCS RANKINGS ARE HERE! (to understand my excitement, please picture Steve Martin in the new phone book scene from the movie "The Jerk."

From what I've seen so far. The winner of the Michigan-Ohio St. game will go on to win the title.

Sebastien447
10-16-2006, 08:40 AM

From what I've seen so far. The winner of the Michigan-Ohio St. game will go on to win the title.

Absolutely. I thought Michigan might have trouble with Iowa, but after their ridiculous loss to Indiana last week, they're obviously not of that caliber.

And Ohio State has nobody until ttun ... unless you count mighty Indiana! lol

Sebastien447
10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Tony Kornheisser on PTI said that if #1 OSU and #2 Michigan's game is a classic close game decided by a fourth quarter field goal, both teams deserve to play again in a rematch in the national championship. I'm not sure where I stand on this topic.

Sebastien447
10-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Anyone see the Miami game brawl this past Sat? Read about it here (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2629429). Do you think a one game suspension for these players is a just punishment. I'd start a poll, but I don't think that many members read this thread!

Sebastien447
10-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Heelllooo hellllooo heelllo hello ... there's an echo in here!

What the hell! Is this a tennis board or wh

mrjiggyfly2
10-19-2006, 06:59 AM

I believe that the guy swinging his helmet deserved much more than that. I think he's suspended indefinitely. And I think the instigators should receive more if they could be identified. As for the others, once things started to escalte, it would have been hard for the players not to become involved as they watched their teammates doing battle.

There needs to be something (mandatory season long suspension?? or something like that going forward to ensure it doesn't happen again.)

Sebastien447
10-19-2006, 08:28 AM

I believe that the guy swinging his helmet deserved much more than that. I think he's suspended indefinitely. And I think the instigators should receive more if they could be identified. As for the others, once things started to escalte, it would have been hard for the players not to become involved as they watched their teammates doing battle.

There needs to be something (mandatory season long suspension?? or something like that going forward to ensure it doesn't happen again.)

Miami says they're going to instill a new policy about fighting, but that should have been there from the start, especially considering the history of that program.

A one game suspension for these players is a joke. Coker and the A.D. should be fired for this. A message needs to be sent to players and young people watching them. As it stands, players can accost another player, marring the sport in the process, and only have to sit the next game. Scolarships should be lost for this, and players should sit the rest of the season. What a joke!

Sebastien447
10-23-2006, 07:01 AM
The new BCS rankings are out and ...

The Ohio State Buckeyes #1
Michigan Wolverines #2

November 18, 3:30 Eastern, find a TV!

BCS Rankings (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings)

mrjiggyfly2
11-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Doesn't WVU know that I have a "special" interest in this game. Hang on to the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mrjiggyfly2
11-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Doesn't WVU know that I have a "special" interest in this game. Hang on to the ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-[

Sebastien447
11-03-2006, 05:30 PM

:-[

sorry jiggy ... WVU sure blew that one. Neither team was that impressive ... not up to a #3 vs. #5 billing ... maybe #13 vs #15 range, sloppy play on both sides.

Sebastien447
11-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Talk about sloppy play ... see today's Michigan/Ball St game ...

I feel better about Nov. 18 ... Michigan's not that good!

*waits for Darcy*

Darcy
11-04-2006, 03:08 PM

*waits for Darcy*

Yeah, that's right where I want you, thinking Michigan is sloppy so you'll underestimate them. They just basically had to show up today. :P

OSU crushing Illinois like they should be? Oh, just checked and hmm...

GO BLUE!!

Sebastien447
11-04-2006, 04:06 PM

*waits for Darcy*

Yeah, that's right where I want you, thinking Michigan is sloppy so you'll underestimate them. They just basically had to show up today. :P

GO BLUE!!

Yeah, I spoke too soon! :-X

OSU was a terrible team that second half ... good to get that out of their system! [smiley=vomit.gif]

Well, Northwestern and Indiana left before the biggest showdown in CFB history baby!

Darcy
11-04-2006, 05:43 PM

*waits for Darcy*

GO BLUE!!

OSU was a terrible team that second half ... good to get that out of their system! [smiley=vomit.gif]

Well, Northwestern and Indiana left before the biggest showdown in CFB history baby!

Are we ready for some football? ;D Make note to stock up the Living Room fridge...

Sebastien447
11-05-2006, 10:40 AM

*waits for Darcy*

GO BLUE!!

Are we ready for some football? ;D Make note to stock up the Living Room fridge...

Yeah, you are going to need A LOT of alcohol! [smiley=boxing.gif]

Darcy
11-05-2006, 12:17 PM

Yeah, you are going to need A LOT of alcohol! [smiley=boxing.gif]

Ooooh! You're right! <adds champagne to the shopping list>

[smiley=overhead_clap.gif]

catz33
11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
An interesting opinion I found on-line about the BCS
"Figure skating is not a sport. It is athletic and involves amazing displays of skill, but it is not a sport. The winners and losers are decided by the subjective opinion of judges. Often, skaters have to “pay their dues” over a few competitions, even years, before they are given the highest marks by the judges. In other words, it is just like college football’s “championship”.

Who gets to play in the “championship” game is largely decided by the polls, which are nothing more than the badly formed opinions of people who cannot possibly have watched all the teams they are voting on each week. since the polls start in the preseason, position is determined by everything BUT how well the teams perform on the field. This year, Rutgers could go undefeated in the Big East conference, a team with three top ten teams and the second highest rated conference in college football, but has no chance to play in the national title game. Why? Because they hadn’t “paid their dues” — they were not a big time program, and so they were not ranked in the pre-season polls. College football has adopted, for all intents and purposes, the figure skating method of determining a champion. Just more proof that college football isn’t a real sport."

Sebastien447
11-13-2006, 04:31 PM
An interesting opinion I found on-line about the BCS
"Figure skating is not a sport. It is athletic and involves amazing displays of skill, but it is not a sport. The winners and losers are decided by the subjective opinion of judges. Often, skaters have to “pay their dues” over a few competitions, even years, before they are given the highest marks by the judges. In other words, it is just like college football’s “championship”.

Who gets to play in the “championship” game is largely decided by the polls, which are nothing more than the badly formed opinions of people who cannot possibly have watched all the teams they are voting on each week. since the polls start in the preseason, position is determined by everything BUT how well the teams perform on the field. This year, Rutgers could go undefeated in the Big East conference, a team with three top ten teams and the second highest rated conference in college football, but has no chance to play in the national title game. Why? Because they hadn’t “paid their dues” — they were not a big time program, and so they were not ranked in the pre-season polls. College football has adopted, for all intents and purposes, the figure skating method of determining a champion. Just more proof that college football isn’t a real sport."

That's correct catzy. You nailed it. The CFB National Champion is a farce every year because essentially two teams are picked by humans to play for it. The BCS was created to improve upon that, but the human element remains huge ... and sometimes the computer rankings make no sense at all. So it's time to realize that we cannot trust the human polls, nor the computer polls, nor a mixture. I've been a CFB fan for a long time and every year I long for a NC tournament like in basketball. You could do it with the 8 best teams in the BCS after all the Bowls are played (as they traditionally used to be played, and finished, by Jan 1). In order to preserve the traditions of some great Bowls, just play off the last 8 in the BCS, three weeks, 3 rounds, to determine a true national champion in football.

It would be so huge, and I don't think the bowls would lose anything because most of them have very strong traditions and communities supporting them. Also, they'd become a play-in round for the Final tournament and interest would be huge ... and feasible since most schools don't start in again until mid to late Jan anyway, so the kids would not have trouble with the school part of it all.

It would be so HUGE!

This is not rocket science. You'd think the school presidents would be ga ga over ideas like this because it translates into mega bucks for everyone!

::)

jsd123789456
12-02-2006, 04:00 PM
anyone else watchin usc ucla right now? i make no secret my antagonism towards usc and ive been a ucla fan for awhile as well, the defense is playing amazing and their qb (cowan i think?) is having one of those gutsy performances with little stats but a great game, go bruins!!

p.s. anyone else here hail from houston? cougars are c-usa champs!!!

jsd123789456
12-02-2006, 05:19 PM
and a bye-bye to usc, hello probably ohio state - michigan rematch, who's ready?

Sebastien447
12-03-2006, 10:01 AM
anyone else watchin usc ucla right now? i make no secret my antagonism towards usc and ive been a ucla fan for awhile as well, the defense is playing amazing and their qb (cowan i think?) is having one of those gutsy performances with little stats but a great game, go bruins!!

p.s. anyone else here hail from houston? cougars are c-usa champs!!!

Sweetums and I watched the entire game - GREAT GAME! I despise USC too, not a UCLA fan, just can't stand Pete Carrol ... loved seeing ol' slick speechless after the game! ha ha

p.s. houston cougars? c-usa? is that american football? ;)

Sebastien447
12-03-2006, 10:03 AM
and a bye-bye to usc, hello probably ohio state - michigan rematch, who's ready?

Yup, buh bye Trojans! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

It's going to be soooooooooooooooooooooooooo close between Florida and Michigan, BCS out later today, stay tuned sports fans!

I'd love to see the Bucks play Michigan again ... thump 'em even harder this time! Glory to the Big Ten baby!

jsd123789456
12-03-2006, 10:36 AM
p.s. houston cougars? c-usa? is that american football? ;)

now ill have to pretend i didnt read that... just ye wait, though theyll end up playing some stinker probably in the liberty bowl

Sebastien447
12-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Oh well, too bad the 2 best teams in the country don't get to play in the NC game.

We're going to destroy Florida. And Michigan will take care of the Trojans.

Sebastien447
12-09-2006, 03:52 PM
From The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/56174)

BCS Determines No Team Worthy Of Facing Ohio State In Championship Game

COLUMBUS, OH—In what many BCS officials are citing as "proof that their flawless system indeed works," no Division 1-A college football team was found to possess the sheer excellence required to face Ohio State, the No. 1 ranked team since the season began, in this year's BCS Championship game.

"The main job of the BCS is to place the best football players in the nation in a single game in order to decide the national champion," said BCS chairman Mike Coleman. "This year, our computer took hours to process the polls' relevant data—by which I mean the opinions of the nation's finest sportscasters, sports-radio hosts, coaches, color commentators, and ESPN The Magazine contributors—and determined that no championship game is necessary. No team in America deserves to even step on the same field as Ohio State, let alone actually play in a game against them."

"It's good to know that, after the Harris and the USA Today polls carefully and painstakingly take care of the fallible, emotional, potentially biased human element of the ranking through old-fashioned voting, the BCS then takes that human element and subjects it to its own infallible rigid mathematical formulas," Coleman continued. "It's a confidence-inspiring system that has never failed us before."

"Although I'll be the first to admit that previous years have usually featured some sort of game," Coleman added.

According to Coleman, the University of Florida's lackluster running game and one-loss season, USC's "abominable" offense and two losses, and Michigan having already lost to Ohio State 42-39 seemed to be the determining factors in the BCS's decision. Coleman also said that Ohio State clearly being the most popular and exciting team in college football didn't hurt. However, Coleman insisted on adamantly stating for the record that the BCS is not a popularity contest.

"I think this year more than any other year proves that the BCS is working," ESPN College GameDay anchor Lee Corso said during a live broadcast from Ohio State's campus. "The system does an excellent job taking into consideration things that poll voters don't even think about: strength of schedule, whether or not the team won their conference, total distance the teams' fans are willing to travel for bowl games, average amount spent on souvenirs by alumni, and grade point average. After all those things, it's Ohio State, baby. And only Ohio State."

Corso then put on the costume head of Ohio State mascot Brutus Buckeye and was met with cheers from thousands of students.

"My guys were disappointed at first, but they eventually understood," said Michigan coach Lloyd Carr. "We had our chance against Ohio State and we blew it, and I guess a rematch would be boring. But can you blame us for thinking we had a chance? Sure, Troy Smith is easily the best player ever, and that defense, well, quite frankly, I'd be afraid for our guys' safety if we had to go up against that defense again, but our fans are rabidly single-minded and a lot of them have poll votes."

"I wish Bo Schembechler had lived to see this," Carr added. "He had a vote in the poll, you know."

Florida Gators head coach Urban Meyer agreed with Carr, saying that even if his team had been offered a chance to play Ohio State, he may not have taken it.

"We don't deserve to play Ohio State. Period," Meyer said, adding that though Florida had a tough schedule, being the SEC champion was not the same thing as being Ohio State. "Every coach that I know voted for Ohio State in the coaches' poll, or at least had them second after their own team. In any case, I can certainly see why no one who votes in the BCS wants the national championship to be decided by a mere football game."

All coaches interviewed supported Meyer's claim, with the notable exception of Notre Dame head coach Charlie Weis, who said that despite his team's two losses, weak schedule, and unremarkable defense, he still felt in his heart that Notre Dame deserved a chance at the title—a feeling that, according to a BCS official who wished to remain anonymous, was not completely overruled.

"First of all, I should note that although Notre Dame is an independent, and a highly regarded independent at that, it does not have its own special set of rules as far as determining its football team's rankings," the official said. "Instead, we use a special set of mathematical algorithms to determine its football team's rankings, which the BCS specifically determines only after ranking all the other teams. And though I shouldn't say this, we—er, the computer—would have dearly loved to have seen Notre Dame in the championship."

The Fox network has announced that in place of the game on January 8, it will broadcast four hours of Buckeye players working out in preparation for the 2007 NFL draft.

[smiley=banana.gif]