PDA

View Full Version : 2011 American Idol Contest ((*SPOILERS*))

Kirkus
03-15-2011, 11:33 PM
We'll begin with the top 10 on Wednesday, March 30th.

Special Double-Elimination Rule (http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?p=647046#post647046) is in effect for first week predictions.

::

How it works.
Each week you will choose who you think will be voted off and sent to Redemption Island that week. You will have between the end of the performance show and the beginning of the results show to post your prediction in this thread. Now, "the beginning of the results show" means as soon as the first note of the AI theme is heard on the live broadcast (Eastern Time), that week's predictions are closed.

Each week will be worth a possible 10 points.
You can predict either 1 or 2 performers who you believe will be going home that week (through week 9). If you choose 1 performer, and you're correct, you will score 10 points. If you choose 2 performers, 1 of which is correct, you will score 5 points.

Bonus Points.
Each week, in addition to predicting who you think will be eliminated from the race, you will also predict 1 performer to win the whole shebang. The whole kit-n-kaboodle. The whole maryanne. You can predict the same winner every week, or you can predict a different winner every week. Or you can mix and match. For every time the actual winner appears as one of your weekly predictions, you will receive 2 bonus points. For instance...

You've picked Pia 3 weeks as the winner, Stefano 2 times, and Naima 4 times. If Pia wins you receive 6 bonus points. If Stefano wins you receive 4 bonus points, and Naima = 8 bonus points.

That's it!

If you have any questions, ask them in this thread.

shtexas
03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
YAY! I guess...

Tonight, the performances are live for the first time this year. But, no song spoilers since they are not allowing audiences in on rehearsals. All we know, via Melissa Etheridge, is we can expect one of her songs.

shtexas
03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Song choice spoilers:

#1:

Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned?
Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

#2:

With the Lights out it's less dangerous
Here we are now entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now entertain us

Charlie02123
03-16-2011, 01:50 PM
How it works.
Each week you will choose who you think will be voted off and sent to Redemption Island that week.
:p

Kirkus
03-16-2011, 02:27 PM
It's part of my charm.

Charlie02123
03-16-2011, 02:44 PM
For those of you planning on joining us for the first time, welcome! This contest is super fun.

Just don't get your hopes up. As a two time champion, I WILL be reclaiming my title. :gun:

Kirkus
03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
For those of you planning on joining us for the first time, welcome! This contest is super fun.

Just don't get your hopes up. As a two time champion, I WILL be reclaiming my title. :gun:
Oh, good God! You just wanted to say "As a two time champion." :p

Charlie02123
03-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh, good God! You just wanted to say "As a two time champion." :p
I'm not above intimidation. :cheesy:

Kirkus
03-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Can I just say that I thought Stefano hit it out of the park last night?

And I actually "got" Paul McDonald's performance. (And that scares me a little bit.)

shtexas
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Can I just say that I thought Stefano hit it out of the park last night?

And I actually "got" Paul McDonald's performance. (And that scares me a little bit.)

Stefano is growing on me. He's the one improving week-to-week.

Naima and Karen need to go. Their voices are too thin compared to the others.

I get Paul, but did not like the performance.

Thia has a nice voice, but needs to head in a more interesting direction. Colors of the Wind?!!! Seriously??!!! Funny thing is it was the most recent song, but was also the most dated.

The judges need to get tougher with some of them. Jacob and Casey were not that good and they needed wake-up calls.

shtexas
03-24-2011, 08:20 PM
So, how's it going to work now that the top 10 is a top 11 with a double-elimination next week?

Kirkus
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
We start next week with the top 11.

As in seasons past, with the double elimination, you can predict as many as 4 contestants to be eliminated.

If you select 4 and one of them is correct you will receive 5 points. If you've correctly predicted both you receive 10.

If you select 3 and one of them is correct you will receive 7.5 points. If you've correctly predicted both you receive 15.

If you select 2 and one of them is correct you will receive 10 points. If you've correctly predicted both you receive 20.

We still chose one performer as the ultimate winner for bonus points.

shtexas
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Ugh. There's no telling what America will do.

dryrunguy
03-30-2011, 09:29 PM
EDIT:

Stefano, Naima, or Thia gone.

Kirkus
03-30-2011, 11:19 PM
EDIT:

Stefano, Naima, or Thia gone.Are those your picks? Do you want to make a winner pick for bonus points?

Kirkus
03-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Oh my God. I don't think I realized the talent they had this year until recently. That, along with Steven and Jennifer, has really made the show fresher, in my opinion.

What was up with Naima's fake accent tonight? Really? I just don't like her gimmicks.

I know Scotty is really popular, and he seems like a nice kid, but -- and this is coming from someone who's iPod has about 75% country music on it -- I just think he's over the top.

I love Haley!
I love Stefano!
I love Pia!
I love Jacob!

Two weeks in a row now I've really "gotten" Paul. Good Lord, he's growing on me.

I really like Thia. I'm not sure why she's not getting the votes. I think she has a beautiful voice.

I didn't hate Casey's performance tonight.

Kirkus
03-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Don't forget:

As in seasons past, with the double elimination, you can predict as many as 4 contestants to be eliminated. This week only!

If you select 4 and one of them is correct you will receive 5 points. If you've correctly predicted both you receive 10.

If you select 3 and one of them is correct you will receive 7.5 points. If you've correctly predicted both you receive 15.

If you select 2 and one of them is correct you will receive 10 points. If you've correctly predicted both you receive 20.

We still chose one performer as the ultimate winner for bonus points.

Predictions are due by 8 p.m. Eastern tonight (Thursday).

Casey Abrams
Haley Reinhart
Jacob Lusk
James Durbin
Lauren Alaina
Naima Adedapo
Paul McDonald
Pia Toscano
Scotty McCreery
Stefano Langone
Thia Megia

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Oh my good gosh golly. This is hard.

Eliminated: Thia MuhRhyma and Naima WTFWASTHAT!!???

Winner: James Durbin (!!!???)

dryrunguy
03-31-2011, 06:02 AM
EDIT:

Stefano, Naima, or Thia gone.

Ah yes. For the winner: I'll say Pia.

dryrunguy
03-31-2011, 06:47 AM
To be honest, there are bits and pieces I like about all of the contestants this year. Last night, I probably enjoyed Haley and Lauren the most. Pia, I always expect to enjoy her, so it's harder for her to impress me. Thia was dangerously sleepy, at least for me. James and Jacob continue to be over the top but both are likable in their own ways. I just don't enjoy Paul that much, but I still like his persona. After facing elimination last week, I worry Casey went too far back in the opposite direction. Anxious to see how that will play with voters. (I still think the fact that he was in danger last week was less about people not liking him and more about people assuming he would be safe and saving their votes for other singers on the brink. If he lands in the bottom three tonight, then I'm all wrong about that.)

Stefano and Scotty are sweet kids. But neither of them really do anything for me. Neither one is novel in any way, except how Scotty is different from the other contestants. But like I said before, there are already at least two country artists who crowd that part of the country market.

I'm really disappointed, though, with Naima. Two weeks after someone was eliminated basically because she embraced her Latina roots, Naima goes all reggae. Like it or not, America doesn't much care for ethnic difference. And while I thought the adaptation of the song worked a little better than the judges did, it still didn't work all that well.

I continue to not miss Simon at all. In fact, I enjoy the show much more than before. The talent is significantly better with less emphasis being placed on looks, sex appeal, etc. I'm convinced Simon actually was holding the show back.

shtexas
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
I have no clue.

I'll say:

Naima and Paul

Winner:

Pia

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Eliminated: Thia-Thia or Naima.
(I had to say Thia twice or the poetic-rhythm would have been lost.)

Winner: Scotty

Oh, BTW... Charlie. You're goin' down bitch!

waylandboy-tw
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Going home: Thia and Stefano

Winner: James

As for Charlie, I concur with Kirkus!

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Oh, BTW... Charlie. You're goin' down bitch!

As for Charlie, I concur with Kirkus!
GASP! Here I am, a sweet young man trying to find his way in the world, participating in a just-for-fun contest on a board that espouses togetherness, and I become the victim of bullying! :cry:

Alternate response: No, I haven't started looking for a part time job yet. Maybe later.

Additional response: THAT'S WHAT I SAID TO YOUR MOMS LAST NIGHT!!!!!!

tennisbrp
03-31-2011, 02:44 PM
Munster go home -Naima and Stefano
Winner -P P P P Pia

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 06:18 PM
The results are in! I cheated by looking at the east coast live blog, but I'll wait until all time zones have aired before talking about it.

dryrunguy
03-31-2011, 07:14 PM
The results are in! I cheated by looking at the east coast live blog, but I'll wait until all time zones have aired before talking about it.

America got this one right. ;)

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Oh wow. That duet was really good. :overhead_clap:

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Only six of us to start off this season. I hope it grows.

BTW, I need a judgment call from the rest of you...

I posted "Eliminated: Thia-Thia or Naima" when what I meant was and. I meant "Eliminated: Thia-Thia and Naima".

Do I get the "and"?

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM

I posted "Eliminated: Thia-Thia or Naima" when what I meant was and. I meant "Eliminated: Thia-Thia and Naima".

Do I get the "and"?
Well duh. We all knew what you meant.

LET THE RECORD SHOW THAT THE BULLIED HERO CHARLIE IS SO VIRTUOUS HE ALLOWED THE TYPO-EE VILLAIN TO SHARE THE LEAD WITH HIM.

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Annnnnd I just realized I spoiled it.

shtexas
03-31-2011, 08:16 PM
I get the feeling no way a girl can win this contest...ever again.

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Many pundits agree with you.

I was so shocked Haley made the Top 13. Now she's one of the top 3 females. Whodathunk?

shtexas
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM

By contest, I mean Idol. Not Charlie's yearly coronation.

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Annnnnd I just realized I spoiled it.LOL. Not necessarily. Maybe only one of them went home. :cheesy:

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 08:19 PM
By contest, I mean Idol. Not Charlie's yearly coronation.LOL.

shtexas
03-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Many pundits agree with you.

I was so shocked Haley made the Top 13. Now she's one of the top 3 females. Whodathunk?

The women on The View said something like "Come on, girls, vote for the girls too. Not just the guys."

Then, they proceeded to trash Pia and Lauren. :rolleyes:

And that's why a guy will win again.

C'mon Pia. Find a way.

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
The women on The View said something like "Come on, girls, vote for the girls too. Not just the guys."

Then, they proceeded to trash Pia and Lauren. :rolleyes:

And that's why a guy will win again.

C'mon Pia. Find a way.

What's kind of interesting is that it seems like the female Idol contestants do much better in the industry: Kelly (Multiple Grammys), Jennifer (Multiple Grammys, Oscar), Carrie (Multiple Grammys).

dryrunguy
03-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Only six of us to start off this season. I hope it grows.

Do I get the "and"?

I knew what you meant. Hell, you created the rules. Which I always manage to muck up on week 1. :)

shtexas
03-31-2011, 08:51 PM
Jacob Lusk and Sylvester - separated at birth :confused:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY1JRXfDPRIWr73mkPS0YiEkANJzmZ2 Sl_EoTEi2UbVvHb3Wafhttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCQB1Ri-sroGIjrAmtDKm6yNfT9QR06r01Uqhoh3czWmrBEWXdbg
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3J5M2D9aaXzH0PerxxmysXkkAuLcuQ 1RM6siThj-GKYygCWFehttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSOtIonPMEN-JAb_tVvVVYtuCeOfWrFOYi3BfFtDAhJ8HtG1sTcw
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnEoTN2pdSIkb2htAKR365kyh-msM6D2re9XXboHvgA3egBqJ7http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwtiw2tVkdWOJymDoY8dAPineuVKfIu L_MB0g46Itm5ert6f8IlA

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 08:52 PM
This Jamie Foxx/Will I Am thing is crap. IMO of course.

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
I knew what you meant. Hell, you created the rules. Which I always manage to muck up on week 1. :)I did have an assist by Mr. Salmon a few years ago. Plus, you managed ot unmuck it in time.

Thanks guys. :cheesy:

Jacob Lusk and Sylvester - separated at birth :confused:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRY1JRXfDPRIWr73mkPS0YiEkANJzmZ2 Sl_EoTEi2UbVvHb3Wafhttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCQB1Ri-sroGIjrAmtDKm6yNfT9QR06r01Uqhoh3czWmrBEWXdbg
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3J5M2D9aaXzH0PerxxmysXkkAuLcuQ 1RM6siThj-GKYygCWFehttp://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSOtIonPMEN-JAb_tVvVVYtuCeOfWrFOYi3BfFtDAhJ8HtG1sTcw
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnEoTN2pdSIkb2htAKR365kyh-msM6D2re9XXboHvgA3egBqJ7http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwtiw2tVkdWOJymDoY8dAPineuVKfIu L_MB0g46Itm5ert6f8IlALOL. Thank you!

dryrunguy
03-31-2011, 08:55 PM
What's kind of interesting is that it seems like the female Idol contestants do much better in the industry: Kelly (Multiple Grammys), Jennifer (Multiple Grammys, Oscar), Carrie (Multiple Grammys).

Great point. The only guy doing anything of substance is Daughtry. And even he's not making a blip on the award chart. Not that award charts mean anything. Hell, he probably couldn't even with the Chris Daughtry Award.

But I think Pia has a chance this year. She's really the best true singer in the whole bunch. But the best singer never wins, so... :confused:

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 08:56 PM
Clay Aiken's record sales were astronomical in his heyday. Don't forget about Daughtry either!

Now that you mention it, I think any time there's been a male v female final two, the female has done better afterwards. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, and Jordin Sparks all backed up their wins over male runners-up, but Katharine McPhee and Crystal Bowersox have outsold their season's winners Taylor Hicks and Lee Dewyze.

Kirkus
03-31-2011, 09:03 PM
WEEK 1

Casey Abrams
Haley Reinhart
Jacob Lusk
James Durbin
Lauren Alaina
Naima Adedapo :wavey:
Paul McDonald
Pia Toscano
Scotty McCreery
Stefano Langone
Thia Megia :wavey:

WEEKLY SCORES:
NAME|Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4|Wk 5|Wk 6|Wk 7|Wk 8|Wk 9|Total
Dry|15|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|15
Waylandboy|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|10
Tennisbrp|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|10
Shtexas|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|10
Kirkus|20|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|20
Charlie|20|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|20

WINNER PREDICTIONS
NAME|Casey|Haley|Jacob|James|Lauren|Naima|Paul|Pia |Scotty|Stefano|Thia
Dry|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|0|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|1|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|0|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|0|0
Charlie|0|0|0|1|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|3|1|0|0

Charlie02123
03-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Great point. The only guy doing anything of substance is Daughtry. And even he's not making a blip on the award chart. Not that award charts mean anything. Hell, he probably couldn't even with the Chris Daughtry Award.

But I think Pia has a chance this year. She's really the best true singer in the whole bunch. But the best singer never wins, so... :confused:
David Cook has done very well post-Idol. Adam Lambert was nominated for a Grammy this year.

Back to this season: Pia has a legitimate shot because no male has really grabbed onto front-runner status.

Of the nine left, I could believe five of them as a finalist.

I don't think Jacob, Paul, Stefano, or Haley can crack the top two. Any of the others can.

dryrunguy
03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
David Cook has done very well post-Idol. Adam Lambert was nominated for a Grammy this year.

Back to this season: Pia has a legitimate shot because no male has really grabbed onto front-runner status.

Of the nine left, I could believe five of them as a finalist.

I don't think Jacob, Paul, Stefano, or Haley can crack the top two. Any of the others can.

David hasn't really caught my attention post-Idol. Adam's nomination was a joke.

shtexas
04-01-2011, 09:44 AM
David hasn't really caught my attention post-Idol. Adam's nomination was a joke.

Did you notice the contestant send-off song is Cook's remake of Simple Minds Don't You Forget About Me? I love, love the original and was horrified when I heard Cook had remade it. But, you know what? His growl makes the song. He made the song kinda sexy.

dryrunguy
04-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Argh.

Stefano out.

Pia to win.

waylandboy-tw
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
tough week.

Jacob out

James to win.

Charlie02123
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Okay, I have no idea what to do. Jacob and Stefano were both ridiculous. Stefano got to go 8th out of 9, so that's helpful, but he's a wildcard anyway. America doesn't like losers! Sigh...

I'm going to sleep on it.

Kirkus
04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
What is wrong with me?!! I didn't hate any of the performances. :freekingout:

Vocals I'd give to Pia. Hands down.
Performance? Stefano without a doubt.

Bye bye to Paul. :wavey:
Winner: Scotty.

I love it when they cut to J-Lo and she's beboppin' to the music. :cheesy:

Kirkus
04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Okay, I have no idea what to do. Jacob and Stefano were both ridiculous. Stefano got to go 8th out of 9, so that's helpful, but he's a wildcard anyway. America doesn't like losers! Sigh...

I'm going to sleep on it.Really? I couldn't disagree more about Stefano.

Kirkus
04-06-2011, 11:12 PM
http://www.radaronline.com/sites/radaronline.com/files/imagecache/350width/LangoneMugShot.jpg

American Idol top 11 contestant Stefano Langone has battled his way through the competition despite nearly losing his life in a 2009 car crash caused by a drunk driver, but RadarOnline.com has uncovered a police report and mug shot after the singer was arrested just last year for driving under the influence himself in Seattle.

According to the Washington State DUI Arrest Report exclusively obtained by RadarOnline.com, Langone was pulled over and arrested at 2:35 a.m. on May 16, 2010 in Kent, Washington.

Langone, 21-years-old at the time of the incident, submitted to a breathalyzer test in which he blew .098 in the first sample and .088 in the second sample, both above the legal limit, as well as failed numerous field sobriety tests.

Arresting officer Christopher Storton observed Langone's coordination as "poor" and said he "fumbled for driver's license" and also noted that his eyes were "droopy" and "bloodshot" with "repetitive" and "slurred" speech.
"I could smell a strong and obvious odor of intoxicants coming from the vehicle," Storton wrote.

"On Langone's right wrist, I observed two stamps that were consistent with entry to a club or bar...Langone stated that he had one beer several hours earlier."

It appears that Longone wasn't sure what he'd drank though or where he'd been, at one point telling Storton he'd been drinking Long Island Iced Teas and was "not sure what bars" he'd been at.

He also couldn't properly recite the alphabet answering, "A, B, C, D, E, F, H, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, T, V, W, J, K, L, sorry, I'm nervous, R, S, T, U, V, W, B, C, D, Y, Z," but singing is in his blood -- Officer Storton noted that once he was handcuffed and being transported in the patrol car, "Langone began singing."

Langone was released from King County Jail on $500 bail and eventually walked away without having to serve time on the condition that he keep a clean record for the next two years and attend an alcohol and drug information course.

Shockingly, just one year prior, Langone was the victim of an alcohol-induced car accident himself -- an accident which left him with two broken arms that now have metal plates and screws in them and a broken pelvis.

"It's been a long road...I was in an accident that changed my life unfortunately for the worse," Langone said during his American Idol audition.

"I woke up to a firefighter, and I'll never forget, he looked down at me and screamed to the EMT's, 'He's alive, he's alive!'

"They told me that I wouldn't be able to walk or write or be the same and I got on my feet in less than four months."

The 22-year-old is now a fan favorite on Idol after being saved by judge Jennifer Lopez during a Wildcard round.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2011/03/exclusive-document-american-idols-stefano-langone-arrested-drunk-driving-read

tennisbrp
04-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Paul - go home
Pia - winner

shtexas
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Since Stefano went late and Paul went last, although I am not comfortable with it, I'll say:

Out: Jacob

Charlie02123
04-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Argh.

Jacob OUT

James (!!??) to WIN

Charlie02123
04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
And we're off! I'm reading a liveblog of the east coast feed.

So far Stefano is in the bottom 3 and Lauren and Casey have been declared safe. I actually thought one of the two of them might be a surprise bottom dweller.

Charlie02123
04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
WHOAWHOAWHOA! Shocker in the bottom three. You'll have to watch to find out. :lipsrsealed:

Charlie02123
04-07-2011, 05:59 PM
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dryrunguy
04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
America is so ****ing stupid!!!!

shtexas
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
America is so ****ing stupid!!!!

Unbelievable! :mad:

dryrunguy
04-07-2011, 06:14 PM
This has to be a "I assumed she was safe, so I voted for other people" scenario.

It was her best week, no?

Charlie02123
04-07-2011, 06:17 PM
This has to be a "I assumed she was safe, so I voted for other people" scenario.

Actually, I hated the performance and the outfit, but I still thought she was safe.

HALEY IS IN THE TOP TWO GIRLS! WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

:freekingout:

shtexas
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM

It's a gender thing. All the teeny-bopper girls who only vote for the guys. The other two girls will not make the top 5.

Charlie02123
04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
It's a gender thing. All the teeny-bopper girls who only vote for the guys. The other two girls will not make the top 5.
I think one of them will. I'm pretty sure we've never had a single gender top 5. Season 3 having the top 4 girls was as close as it got.

tennisbrp
04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I obviously suck at this since I had her winning. It is a weird experince for me since I HATE chick ballad singers (ala fine if Celine Dion loses her larynx) yet I was sort of stunned to see this chick go before some pretty bad dudes. Oh well...like the 0-6 Red Sox

tennisbrp
04-07-2011, 07:35 PM
And Constantine as a real vocalist....please. As an aside saw American Idiot twice on Broadway. Great show for Green Day fans but Justin Guarini although a decent vocalist is SO TOUGH to watch sing. His facial expressions are revolting.

Kirkus
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I obviously suck at this since I had her winning. It is a weird experince for me since I HATE chick ballad singers (ala fine if Celine Dion loses her larynx) yet I was sort of stunned to see this chick go before some pretty bad dudes. Oh well...like the 0-6 Red Sox
I don't think you suck because of this. Pia going home is a shocker! I was going to split my bonus picks between her and Scotty.

LOL @ Celine Dion losing her larynx.

You gotta wonder if the judges wish they had their save back?

Charlie02123
04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I didn't think Pia could win because she's too pretty and has too much of a dead face, but I never expected her to be a shock early boot. She had Melinda Doolittle 3rd Place written all over her.

shtexas
04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I blame the judges too. The fact they haven't really been critical enough makes it seem like they are all roughly on the same level. Last night, Randy gave a semi-critical review of Stefano and a sort of critical review of Lauren, but that was it. Steven Tyler has given 30+ positive reviews in a row and JLo loved everyone last night.

Kirkus
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM
WEEK 2

Casey Abrams
Haley Reinhart
Jacob Lusk
James Durbin
Lauren Alaina
Paul McDonald
Pia Toscano :wavey: :shocked:
Scotty McCreery
Stefano Langone

WEEKLY SCORES:
Dry|15|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|15
Waylandboy|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|10
Tennisbrp|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|10
Shtexas|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|10
Charlie|20|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|20

WINNER PREDICTIONS
Dry|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|2|0|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|2|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|1|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|2|0|0
Charlie|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|0|0|4|0|0|0|5|3|0|0

Kirkus
04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Short of not "performing" but rather only "singing" I don't know what criticism they could have given to Pia. Her vocals are nearly flawless.

Mary said it best - "She'll have a lot of job offers tomorrow."

shtexas
04-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Short of not "performing" but rather only "singing" I don't know what criticism they could have given to Pia. Her vocals are nearly flawless.

Mary said it best - "She'll have a lot of job offers tomorrow."

But, the judges are treating all the other contestants like they are flawless too. That's the problem. Many of the others deserved criticism last night. Maybe if they had been more critical, as they should have been, of Jacob, Stefano and Paul, and had been at least been somewhat critical of a few others (Haley sounded ok, but it was obvious she didn't feel the song. She only did it because she was told she should do Joplin), then voters wouldn't have thought they were just as good as Pia.

Kirkus
04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
But, the judges are treating all the other contestants like they are flawless too. That's the problem. Many of the others deserved criticism last night. Maybe if they had been more critical, as they should have been, of Jacob, Stefano and Paul, and had been at least been somewhat critical of a few others (Haley sounded ok, but it was obvious she didn't feel the song. She only did it because she was told she should do Joplin), then voters wouldn't have thought they were just as good as Pia.Ahhh. Gotcha. There do seem to be a lot more Paula Abduls on the judging panel. But I'm not sure voters really pay that much attention to the judge's opinions when they go to cast their votes.

I suspect, as was mentioned upthread, this was a "she'll get enough votes so I don't have to vote for her" thing.

shtexas
04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
April 8, 2011 12:11 AM PDT
American Idol Recap: Rocky Horror (http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/american-idol-recap-top-9-results-pia-toscano-criminal/)

by Michael Slezak (http://www.tvline.com/author/mslezak/)

Randy Jackson, wipe that stunned expression off your stupid face. Jennifer Lopez, mop up your phony, ridiculous tears. And Steven Tyler, go back to bed. (Honestly, dude, you’ve been taking the world’s greatest public nap for the last six weeks — why get invested now?) Because while the three of you sat there Thursday night at the American Idol judges’ table, collecting your seven-figure salaries and expressing your anger over the obscenely premature elimination of the exquisite, talented Pia Toscano, you failed to acknowledge your own culpability in her demise.

Uh-huh. I said it. In the post-Simon Cowell era of Idol, the show’s everyone-gets-a-gold-star judging panel has ceased to act as a voice of reason, an antidote to voter apathy, a reminder that not all Idol finalists are created equal. (Oh, Jenny From the Block, you were doing so well for a minute!) And on Wednesday night’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame performance telecast, 24 hours before Pia was left sobbing in front of millions of nauseated viewers, Randy, J.Lo, and Steven hit new, personal lows — spitting up critiques as withered as Iggy Pop’s hide, as grotesque as hand-picked frocks from Gwen Stefani’s L.A.M.B. collection. (“You still wake up sometimes, don’t you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs.“) Jacob Lusk’s screeching, pelvic “Man in the Mirror” was praised as “perfect in every way.” Casey Abrams’ forgettable turn on “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?” was labeled “revolutionary.” And Stefano Langone’s subpar “When a Man Loves a Woman,” complete with discordant falsetto foolery, was described as “amazing,” “magic,” “great,” and “beautiful.”

Meanwhile, Pia, who from a vocal perspective, owned those boys so thoroughly and completely that she’d already had ‘em washed, dried, folded, boxed, and stored away in the attic next to an unopened box of J.Lo’s Glow (http://www.zappos.com/j-lo-fragrances-beauty~1?gclid=CJPu_fqQjKgCFYXd4AodWAo8Cg)perfume (http://ie.surfcanyon.com/search?f=sl&q=perfume&partner=sc) and a VHS copy of From Justin to Kelly, was told she needed to “research” the greats to learn how to work the stage. Did J.Lo and Randy have a point? Absolutely. (Or as the Dawg might say, “a billion zillion percent!”) It also needs to be pointed out that Pia should’ve shaken her groove thing instead of playing too cool/self-conscious to shimmy during the contestant hoedown that occurred as the credits rolled on Wednesday. That aside, by harping relentlessly on Pia’s weaknesses without ever acknowledging her weekly vocal domination of the bulk of the Season 10 lineup, the judges slowly and methodically painted her as less than the Top 5 shoo-in she deserved to be, and frakked up a crucial opportunity to get out the vote on behalf of a woman whose absence is going to resonate across the Idol stage for the next seven weeks and beyond.

Hell, you know there’s something stinky floating in Lake Idol when Chris Daughtry (http://twitter.com/CHRIS_Daughtry/status/56164676840591360), David Cook (http://twitter.com/thedavidcook/status/56206410253467648), Jennifer Hudson (http://twitter.com/IAMJHUD/status/56159813956141056), Dancing With the Stars‘ Maksim Chmerkovskiy (http://twitter.com/MaksimC/status/56162179279364096), and even Tom Hanks (http://twitter.com/tomhanks/status/56235745756708864) and Rita Wilson (http://twitter.com/RitaWilson/status/56214437807403008)(!) Tweet their shock and outrage over the results. And just like that, the “resurgent Idol” story arc that’s been building for the last three months seems to have come undone.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/american-idol-recap-top-9-results-pia-toscano-criminal/

shtexas
04-08-2011, 10:42 AM
as grotesque as hand-picked frocks from Gwen Stefani’s L.A.M.B. collection. (“You still wake up sometimes, don’t you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs.“)

:hyst:

Charlie02123
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM
I love Michael Slezak. He's totally the best AI writer and probably the best pop culture writer around. The judges are absolutely a big part of the problem in this case. I think Pia's dead face, old fashioned song choices, and perfect body hurt her much more than the judges.

The tweets he mentioned are interesting. An Idol blog I read this morning listed all the tweets from old Idol contestants. Most were typical "no way" things. I LOVED to see a couple from bitter early eliminees.

Mandisa: ... "But u know what I realized? I was voted out n 9th place 5yrs ago too. #JustSayin." JustSayin? Get over yourself.

Todrick Hall: "American Idol will once again produce another flop and X Factor is going to put them out of business!" BITTER!!!!!!

Miles
04-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Cougars have taken over the AI demo for the past several years and they are driving the votes and choosing the winner.

Notice the similarities between the winners of the past few season:

Lee DeWyze, Kris Allen and David Cook

They all come across as faux edgy white boys that Cougars would typically pick up on a lonely Saturday night.

Whoever is the logical progression of the above three should win Idol this year and I can say that without watching the show.

Charlie02123
04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Cougars have taken over the AI demo for the past several years and they are driving the votes and choosing the winner.

Notice the similarities between the winners of the past few season:

Lee DeWyze, Kris Allen and David Cook

They all come across as faux edgy white boys that Cougars would typically pick up on a lonely Saturday night.

Whoever is the logical progression of the above three should win Idol this year and I can say that without watching the show.
Idol fans came up with "WGWG," which stands for "White Guy With Guitar." They are all attractive in a nonthreatening way. It appeals to 12 year old girls and 40 year old women alike. Being ripped like Ace Young or Tim Urban helps you get to 6th or 7th but would hurt your chances of actually winning.

The logical progression of that list would give us Casey Abrams as the winner, but he was already axed by the voters. I can't see any possibility of him winning now. America doesn't like losers! People don't want to climb on a bandwagon that has already run off the tracks. Since Clay Aiken in Season 2, NO wildcard/save/whatever has gotten that far.

I've gone with James Durbin in the pool a few times because I think of him as "The Revenge of Adam Lambert." He doesn't seem to be quite as vocally talented, but instead of being gay he has a charming back story involving a family and a disability.

Miles
04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Idol fans came up with "WGWG," which stands for "White Guy With Guitar." They are all attractive in a nonthreatening way. It appeals to 12 year old girls and 40 year old women alike. Being ripped like Ace Young or Tim Urban helps you get to 6th or 7th but would hurt your chances of actually winning.

I should have been more clear. The tweeners have been a key part of the AI demo from the beginning, but in the early years their votes were balanced out by all of the other voters and gave us versatile winners. It is the rise of the Cougar demo in the last few years that has tilted the voting in the direction of WGWG.

Charlie02123
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I should have been more clear. The tweeners have been a key part of the AI demo from the beginning, but in the early years their votes were balanced out by all of the other voters and gave us versatile winners. It is the rise of the Cougar demo in the last few years that has tilted the voting in the direction of WGWG.
Keep in mind that in the beginning you could only vote ONCE per phone line. The tween market became much more powerful when that changed. Naima mentioned that when she said something like "it's over as soon as the girls get a crush... I had people come up to me and say 'I voted for you three times!'"

I agree with you, though. Idol viewers have consistently gotten older.

BTW, you all should click the link to read the rest of that article from Michael Slezak. It gets much funnier.

shtexas
04-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Keep in mind that in the beginning you could only vote ONCE per phone line. The tween market became much more powerful when that changed. Naima mentioned that when she said something like "it's over as soon as the girls get a crush... I had people come up to me and say 'I voted for you three times!'"

I agree with you, though. Idol viewers have consistently gotten older.

BTW, you all should click the link to read the rest of that article from Michael Slezak. It gets much funnier.

Like,

Segment That Made Me Want to Take a Silkwood Shower
The Idols visit TMZ!

:cheesy:

I don't always agree with Slezak (I think he's been far too tough on Lauren), but I agree he is a great read.

Charlie02123
04-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't always agree with Slezak (I think he's been far too tough on Lauren), but I agree he is a great read.
I think he blames too much on the judges in general and gets a little fixated on single contestants (Allison Iraheta, Crystal Bowersox), but he gives good metaphor.

shtexas
04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I think he blames too much on the judges in general and gets a little fixated on single contestants (Allison Iraheta, Crystal Bowersox), but he gives good metaphor.

Last night, I probably did too. The judges can steer the public, but that's only a percentage of the voting equation.

Miles
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Again, I've not seen a single episode this season but based on the cast picture, my pick to win would be Paul McDonald or James Durbin. Am I crazy?

shtexas
04-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Again, I've not seen a single episode this season but based on the cast picture, my pick to win would be Paul McDonald or James Durbin. Am I crazy?

Nope. Before last night, I had James, Pia and Scotty as the top 3 in one form or another (never involving Pia winning, but in the top 3 :mad: ). I think people will tire of Scotty towards the end. So, that leave James.

mwoods
04-08-2011, 01:47 PM
I've gone with James Durbin in the pool a few times because I think of him as "The Revenge of Adam Lambert." He doesn't seem to be quite as vocally talented, but instead of being gay he has a charming back story involving a family and a disability.

Ding ding ding! Probably not the best singer. Probably will win.

Charlie02123
04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Paul can't win. A Casey James-esque third place is possible, although it would be much higher than he deserves. He gave a great performance of 'Blackbird' in the Hollywood/Vegas rounds that immediately put him on the map, and his sparkly white teeth and aw shucks personality have earned him a fan base. He just doesn't have a big range, though, and the kook factor will wear off.

I think he'll be booted before too long. He may actually go next week, with fans rallying behind Jacob and Stefano and females. He and Casey have to be splitting fans with their cute/quirky/musician vibe.

Charlie02123
04-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Nigel Lythgoe said in an interview that he knows the voting results and Pia was never a frontrunner! He also said they'll discuss changing the format next year where the voters choose the bottom three and the judges pick who leaves (like SYTYCD) but that it won't be his decision.

It's an interesting interview.

http://mjsbigblog.com/nigel-lythgoe-pia-was-never-a-frontrunner-maybe-the-judges-should-decide-who-goes-home.htm

shtexas
04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Nigel Lythgoe said in an interview that he knows the voting results and Pia was never a frontrunner! He also said they'll discuss changing the format next year where the voters choose the bottom three and the judges pick who leaves (like SYTYCD) but that it won't be his decision.

It's an interesting interview.

http://mjsbigblog.com/nigel-lythgoe-pia-was-never-a-frontrunner-maybe-the-judges-should-decide-who-goes-home.htm

I've also heard reports that Interscope has signed her.

dryrunguy
04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Paul out.

Winner: James (ugh)

waylandboy-tw
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
I've only watched one so far on the DVR and know I can put in my vote now.

Out- Paul (ridiculous song choice)

Winner- James

Kirkus
04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Yikes! I thought, as a whole, tonight's show was pretty much crap. Especially compared to the past several weeks. I guess I'm not artsy-fartsy enough... I love good jazz and I thought Casey Abrams sucked. He just comes off as over-the-top arrogant.

Pia could have saved the show.

Out: Jacob :(

Charlie02123
04-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Just getting caught up.

I am officially attracted to Haley. She seems so... off. After a night with her, you know you're waking up in handcuffs. The question is whether it'd be in a good way or in a "my organs have been harvested" way.

shtexas
04-14-2011, 11:38 AM
So many strange things are happening this year, I honestly have no clue (and am beginning not to care):

Out: Either Paul or Casey

Charlie02123
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Out: Paul or Stefano

Charlie02123
04-14-2011, 05:10 PM
I'm reading Slezak's review of last night. This quote is about Jacob Lusk:

I’ve simply grown tired of his overwrought vocal affectations, the way every word and every note is drawn and quartered, doused in brandy and set on fire, slathered in five lbs. of makeup and two gallons of perfume, and shot out of a cannon with three tons of fireworks. The endless vibrato, the face-pulling, the complete lack of connection to the lyrics: It’s all 1-800-TOO-MUCH.
http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/american-idol-recap-top-8-season-10-movie-night/

I love it.

BTW, the results show has started!!!

Charlie02123
04-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Next week's theme is songs from the 21st century! CURRENT MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirkus
04-14-2011, 10:57 PM
WEEK 3

Casey Abrams
Haley Reinhart
Jacob Lusk
James Durbin
Lauren Alaina
Paul McDonald :wavey:
Scotty McCreery
Stefano Langone

WEEKLY SCORES:
Dry|15|0|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|25
Waylandboy|10|0|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|20
Tennisbrp|10|0|-|0|0|0|0|0|0|10
Shtexas|10|0|5|0|0|0|0|0|0|15
Charlie|20|0|5|0|0|0|0|0|0|25

WINNER PREDICTIONS
Dry|0|0|0|1|0|0|0|2|0|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|3|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|2|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|1|0|0|0|1|1|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|3|0|0
Charlie|0|0|0|3|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|0|0|8|0|0|0|5|4|0|0

Kirkus
04-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Next week's theme is songs from the 21st century! CURRENT MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!Bleh.

tennisbrp
04-15-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm reading Slezak's review of last night. This quote is about Jacob Lusk:

http://www.tvline.com/2011/04/american-idol-recap-top-8-season-10-movie-night/

I love it.

BTW, the results show has started!!!

He makes me think of Ru Paul's Drag Race every time I see him sing. And the sweatiness is just too much to take.

Charlie02123
04-20-2011, 06:23 PM
I glanced at an Idol recap for tonight.

Scott and James went 1st and 2nd, and Stefano went 6th!

I am really surprised how much they're switching up the order this year. In season 2, Ruben or Clay got the final spot 8 of 10 episodes leading up to the finale.

Kirkus
04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm not a fan of a lot of the recent/current music so I wasn't too excited about tonight.

Scotty still gets all over my nerves with the eyebrows and cocked head.

I thought Stefano did a pretty good job. But...

Going home: Stefano or Jacob

Charlie02123
04-21-2011, 01:54 AM
Just got caught up. I'm not sure what's going to happen. Stefano came in as the bottom guy but got good comments and went almost last. I really enjoyed Haley but she got a surprisingly rough critique. I always want Jacob to go home, and mayyybe he will.

I need to ponder.

Charlie02123
04-21-2011, 01:56 AM
I noticed something very strange about Lauren's last two performances. In last week's 'The Climb' and this week's song (something something Fly?) they had a backup singer hitting bigger and louder notes than her. Whenever the song got to a belty part she sang a lower note than a backup singer. They keep talking about what a big voice she has, but she's not actually hitting big notes. My theory is that the lack of sleep and all the rehearsal may be wearing out her voice. Several contestants have had problems with that before.

waylandboy-tw
04-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Going home- Stefano

Winner- James

dryrunguy
04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Going home: I guess I'll go with Haley or Jacob

Winner: James for another week

Kirkus
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm changing my going home pick to just Jacob.

Winner is still Scotty.

tennisbrp
04-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Out - Stefano or Jacob
Win - James

shtexas
04-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Out: Stefano

Charlie02123
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
I am super dooper nervous about this, but:

ALL IN on Stefano going home.

James to win.

Charlie02123
04-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm reading a liveblog. The bottom three were the expected: Haley, Stefano, and Jacob.

Haley was declared safe immediately. Bum bum bum!

dryrunguy
04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I'll never win this.

Charlie02123
04-21-2011, 06:07 PM
I'll never win this.
Mwa HA HA HAAAaaaaaa!

dryrunguy
04-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Mwa HA HA HAAAaaaaaa!

Bitch.

Kirkus
04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Going home: Stefano or Jacob

I'm changing my going home pick to just Jacob
:suicide:

waylandboy-tw
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I felt tonight's show had a strong slant on who they wanted to see win and who to go home.

Jacob went first, and I thought the clip they showed of him preparing for the week was goofy. Jimmy mentions at the end that he thinks Jacob might be in trouble, and of course they did him no favors by having him lead off.

So, I'll say:

Jacob goes home
Winner- James

dryrunguy
04-27-2011, 08:10 PM
LEAVING: Jacob

WINNER: James

Kirkus
04-27-2011, 10:52 PM
I felt tonight's show had a strong slant on who they wanted to see win and who to go home.:yes: Agreed.

I think James was crowned tonight. Having said that, I'm sticking with my original winner (because I'm too stubborn to admit I've been wrong all this time. LOL.)

Going home: Jacob

Charlie02123
04-28-2011, 01:17 AM
I'm ditto-ing everyone else.

Good riddance to Jacob

Bring on the confetti shower for James

shtexas
04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
I worry that something unexpected will happen tonight, because the person I thought was going to come in third has come in 6th two of the last three years. This year, that's Lauren.

Nevertheless, I must go with the group.

tennisbrp
04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Same here

Jacob Out

James Squinty Win

Kirkus
04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
James Squinty. LOL.

Kirkus
04-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Asperger syndrome has been getting new attention thanks to the popularity of "American Idol" contestant James Durbin, who has the condition.

Asperger syndrome (sometimes known as Asperger's syndrome, Asperger disorder or just Asperger's) is an autism spectrum disorder that often causes social difficulties.

"When I sing, it just all goes away," Durbin said during his "Idol" audition. "I don't have a care in the world."

People with Asperger syndrome can be highly intelligent, but they often have difficulty reading body language, facial expression and other social cues. While they can live relatively normal lives and they can even be highly successful in certain careers that require intense focus, that same focus can sometimes make daily life and ordinary conversations a challenge for them.

Durbin also has Tourette's Syndrome, an illness that causes sufferers to experience vocal tics, sometimes including embarrassing words or phrases. But he refuses to let either condition define who he is.

"I have Tourette's and Asperger's, but Tourette's and Asperger's don't have me," Durbin said in an early "Idol" interview. "It's not who I am."

No matter how his stint on "Idol" turns out, Durbin has become a superstar on WrongPlanet.net, a Web community for those with autism and Asperger's. The site's users are thrilled to see a celebrity who is open about sharing their condition, especially one who has done well in a showcase like "Idol" that requires exactly the kind of emotional expressiveness that can be difficult for those with the syndrome.

"That's (one) thing he has in his favor," a commenter on the site joked, "other people with Asperger's compulsively voting for him."

Asperger syndrome is named after Hans Asperger, an Austrian pediatrician who studied children in his practice who suffered from a lack of nonverbal communication skills, showed little empathy for their peers, and were often clumsy.

dryrunguy
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Every time Tourette's Syndrome pops up, I think of the girl in Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo. Best part of the whole film. Except perhaps for when he has that procedure done on his hair.

Kirkus
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I think of this scene from L.A. Law some 22 years ago. I suppose it's humorous, but I always found it sad.

-H0OMSaOna0

Kirkus
04-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Thank merciful God.

dryrunguy
04-28-2011, 06:02 PM
I worry that something unexpected will happen tonight

Not a HUGE shocker. But you called it.

Kirkus
04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
Not a HUGE shocker. But you called it.
He sure did. This will be easy for me to score tonight. :cheesy:

dryrunguy
04-28-2011, 06:24 PM
He sure did. This will be easy for me to score tonight. :cheesy:

Lazy bitch. You should run for Congress.

Kirkus
04-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Lazy bitch. You should run for Congress.

Lol. Only if I can vote to curb grandma's bargaining rights as it pertains to death panels.

Kirkus
04-28-2011, 09:29 PM
WEEK 5

Casey Abrams :wavey:
Haley Reinhart
Jacob Lusk
James Durbin
Lauren Alaina
Scotty McCreery

WEEKLY SCORES:
Dry|15|0|10|0|0|0|0|0|0|25
Waylandboy|10|0|10|10|0|0|0|0|0|30
Tennisbrp|10|0|-|5|0|0|0|0|0|15
Shtexas|10|0|5|10|0|0|0|0|0|25
Charlie|20|0|5|10|0|0|0|0|0|35

WINNER PREDICTIONS
Dry|0|0|0|3|0|0|0|2|0|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|5|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|2|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|1|2|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|5|0|0
Charlie|0|0|0|5|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|0|0|17|0|0|0|5|7|0|0

waylandboy-tw
05-04-2011, 07:54 PM
OK, let's try this again.....

Out- Jacob
Winner- James

dryrunguy
05-04-2011, 08:12 PM

Kirkus
05-04-2011, 10:51 PM
Oh my God. Based on at least one of each contestant's performance tonight, I think they all deserve to win.

Haley's "House of the Rising Sun" was, in my opinion, the best performance of the season so far.

But James stole my heart tonight. I can't think of an AI contestant who has been more vulnerable and "real" since the show first aired. He could have hit every note flat during "I Can't Live" (he may have) and the emotion would have carried the song. I think James is one of the good guys.

tennisbrp
05-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Out Jacob
Winner Lauren

Haley was the best in my opinion and they continue to shit on her. Maybe she is a bitch behind the scenes or something because except for house of the rising sun they usually have something non constructive and negative to say. I totally agree that the obscure Gaga choice was odd but that is on Jimmy and when the producer of some of the biggest records in the past decade makes a suggestion and you are green....don't you take it?

I do think James is a good guy but the show needs to STOP with the family clips that always include "making life better for my family" quotes. It's as revolting to me as million dollar athletes talking about "feeding their families" when they are free agents.

shtexas
05-05-2011, 08:14 AM
I didn't have a problem with the Lady Gaga song choice. I do not really listen to country music so Lauren's and Scotty's choices for their first songs were no more familiar to me than Haley's. Nonetheless, I enjoyed them. Haley's House of the Rising Sun was amazing. Jacob's first song, No Air, was one of the worst performances at this stage of the contest. Just terrible. His second song was not much better.

Out: Jacob (please!)

Kirkus
05-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Out Jacob
Winner Lauren

Haley was the best in my opinion and they continue to shit on her. Maybe she is a bitch behind the scenes or something because except for house of the rising sun they usually have something non constructive and negative to say. I totally agree that the obscure Gaga choice was odd but that is on Jimmy and when the producer of some of the biggest records in the past decade makes a suggestion and you are green....don't you take it?

I do think James is a good guy but the show needs to STOP with the family clips that always include "making life better for my family" quotes. It's as revolting to me as million dollar athletes talking about "feeding their families" when they are free agents.I can't argue with that. It does get old, doesn't it?

Kirkus
05-05-2011, 09:44 AM
I didn't have a problem with the Lady Gaga song choice. I do not really listen to country music so Lauren's and Scotty's choices for their first songs were no more familiar to me than Haley's. Nonetheless, I enjoyed them. Haley's House of the Rising Sun was amazing. Jacob's first song, No Air, was one of the worst performances at this stage of the contest. Just terrible. His second song was not much better.

Out: Jacob (please!)

Winner: ScottyI really liked Jacob's second song. LOL.

dryrunguy
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
OMG. Worst. Opening. Number. On. American. Idol. Ever.

Made me VERY unhappy. :eek::eek::eek:

dryrunguy
05-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Will someone please tell Lauren that she was NOT eliminated?

And James' drama is annoying me. :bat:

shtexas
05-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Will someone please tell Lauren that she was NOT eliminated?

And James' drama is annoying me. :bat:

Lauren would have never been able to sing had she been eliminated. She was a mess.

But, maybe with this experience, she'll handle it better when she is...next week or the week after.

Kirkus
05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
I just saw J-Lo's performance.

I LOVE HER!!!!

Sorry for yelling.

Charlie02123
05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Argh. Curse the no wi-fi train system! I was sitting on that blasted thing thinking "I can't watch the show, but I would still bet it all on Jacob to leave." I kept trying to connect anytime we had a stop somewhere.

Le sigh! Spilled milk.

Kirkus
05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
WEEK 6

Haley Reinhart
Jacob Lusk :wavey:
James Durbin
Lauren Alaina
Scotty McCreery

WEEKLY SCORES:
Dry|15|0|10|0|0|10|0|0|0|35
Waylandboy|10|0|10|10|0|10|0|0|0|40
Tennisbrp|10|0|-|5|0|10|0|0|0|25
Shtexas|10|0|5|10|0|10|0|0|0|35
Kirkus|20|0|0|0|0|10|0|0|0|30
Charlie|20|0|5|10|0|-|0|0|0|35

WINNER PREDICTIONS
Dry|0|0|0|3|0|0|0|2|1|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|6|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|0|0|2|1|0|0|2|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|1|3|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|6|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|0|0|18|1|0|0|5|10|0|0

tennisbrp
05-12-2011, 06:11 AM
The show has become victim of its over-nice-ness. For Haley, I think the negative feedback for song choice and screaming was OK, I hated the song. But I liked her bitchiness because I feel like something is up there like she had to have pissed someone off somewhere or maybe she is really a bitch. The fact that they shit on the Adele song and last weeks except Steven both times was ridiculous. There is nothing more current and popular than Adele and she sang that well and her duet that week was the only one worth even listening to. I liked the FU attitude because at this point if I were her I would say KMA also because they lick every other contestants' butt who SUCKS (and sucked in the past) and some weeks she was the only one who got the ‘not quite right’ feedback.

I thought Lauren's first song was very good, second song was ok but because she kept talking about not wanting to call herself evil, I wasn't buying it. GROW UP! Or pick another song, jeez! She definitely needs to grow up. I hope she goes home because I am sick of her teenage purity.

James I am sick of. I hated the Journey thing. I hate it when a performer tells you what to do in the audience. Don’t start a song with ‘put your hands together people now’ or 'you know the words'….Love potion was weird. I am OK if he goes home but IMO….he is in the final two with Scotty. Scotty is good at one thing and he will be a success at it. That one thing is so not me. I wish for the love of God he would sing a Lyle Lovett song but he chooses cheesy Jesus stuff and kissing his cross and the seeing Gaga as the antichrist thing was so ridiculous. I wonder what he will do the first time he sees a vagina up close? Bring his mom and a picture of Jesus? Sadly, I think he is your winner this season.

Out James
Winner Haley

I have to do this to get points if something weird happens this week :)

dryrunguy
05-12-2011, 08:08 AM
OUT: Lauren

WINNER: James

shtexas
05-12-2011, 08:39 AM
One of the girls is going tonight and the other will go next week. It's just a matter of which one goes first. This is tough.

shtexas
05-12-2011, 08:40 AM
The show has become victim of its over-nice-ness. For Haley, I think the negative feedback for song choice and screaming was OK, I hated the song. But I liked her bitchiness because I feel like something is up there like she had to have pissed someone off somewhere or maybe she is really a bitch. The fact that they shit on the Adele song and last weeks except Steven both times was ridiculous. There is nothing more current and popular than Adele and she sang that well and her duet that week was the only one worth even listening to. I liked the FU attitude because at this point if I were her I would say KMA also because they lick every other contestants' butt who SUCKS (and sucked in the past) and some weeks she was the only one who got the ‘not quite right’ feedback.

I thought Lauren's first song was very good, second song was ok but because she kept talking about not wanting to call herself evil, I wasn't buying it. GROW UP! Or pick another song, jeez! She definitely needs to grow up. I hope she goes home because I am sick of her teenage purity.

James I am sick of. I hated the Journey thing. I hate it when a performer tells you what to do in the audience. Don’t start a song with ‘put your hands together people now’ or 'you know the words'….Love potion was weird. I am OK if he goes home but IMO….he is in the final two with Scotty. Scotty is good at one thing and he will be a success at it. That one thing is so not me. I wish for the love of God he would sing a Lyle Lovett song but he chooses cheesy Jesus stuff and kissing his cross and the seeing Gaga as the antichrist thing was so ridiculous. I wonder what he will do the first time he sees a vagina up close? Bring his mom and a picture of Jesus? Sadly, I think he is your winner this season.

Out Jacob
Winner Haley

Did you mean to say James, tennisbrp?

Kirkus
05-12-2011, 09:39 AM

Out Jacob
Winner Haley

"I wonder what he will do the first time he sees a vagina up close?" :hyst:

I don't know which of the 2 girls I'm picking yet. I may go with both.

shtexas
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Out: Haley

waylandboy-tw
05-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Haley-out

Winner- Scotty

Kirkus
05-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Out: Lauren

Kirkus
05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
:shocked:

dryrunguy
05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Still on the road. Couldn't watch. But yay!!!!!!

shtexas
05-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Interesting result. I thought he was the only one who could beat Scotty. But, maybe this is going to play out a lot different than I thought.

Kirkus
05-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Interesting result. I thought he was the only one who could beat Scotty. But, maybe this is going to play out a lot different than I thought.I just don't see where either girl has a lasting recording career. On the other hand, and even though I think is sound is over the top, I think Scotty could be a huge country artist.

Kirkus
05-12-2011, 11:04 PM
WEEK 7

Haley Reinhart
James Durbin :wavey: :shocked:
Lauren Alaina
Scotty McCreery

WEEKLY SCORES:
Waylandboy|10|0|10|10|0|10|0|0|0|40
Tennisbrp|10|0|-|5|0|10|10|0|0|35
Kirkus|20|0|0|0|0|10|0|0|0|30

WINNER PREDICTIONS
Dry|0|0|0|4|0|0|0|2|1|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|6|0|0|0|0|1|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|1|0|2|1|0|0|2|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|1|4|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|7|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|1|0|19|1|0|0|5|13|0|0

Now that we're down to the final three, you can no longer make two picks for half the points.

Kirkus
05-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I almost chose Scotty to go home only because I knew I needed a freak vote to give me the points I needed to get to the top of the leader board. I never entertained the idea of James being that freak vote. I just assumed he was the Chosen One.

dryrunguy
05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
OUT: Scotty

WINNER: Haley

tennisbrp
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree

Out Scotty
Winner Haley

and I didn't get my 10 points for correctly picking James to go home last week...

shtexas
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Out: Lauren :(

Kirkus
05-18-2011, 10:53 PM
and I didn't get my 10 points for correctly picking James to go home last week...I'm so sorry. :o I fixed the scoreboard.

I'm really at a loss this week. I think they all deserve to be in the final.

I think Scotty will have the biggest career of the three despite what happens tomorrow night. I don't think he'll be "Carrie Underwood" big, but I'll bet he gives "Kelly Clarkson" a run for her money over time.

What will the voters do? What will the voters do? What will the voters do?

I may change this later...

Out: Haley

Jay
05-18-2011, 10:59 PM
None of them have the look of an American Idol. I think that does more harm to them than anything else.

I have yet to watch a full episode this year, though. :p

waylandboy-tw
05-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Out- Haley
Winner- Scotty

Charlie02123
05-19-2011, 08:12 AM
I feel like this is a really close final three, hearkening back to Season 2's Kimberly Locke-Clay Aiken-Ruben Studdard trio and Season 5's Elliot Yamin-Katharine McPhee-Taylor Hicks.

But I digress!

Lauren to show
Haley to win (woot woot holla holla!)

shtexas
05-20-2011, 09:27 AM
What a bunch of whiners over at Michael Slezak's tvline site! They are never going to watch AI again because Haley was ousted. I liked Haley, but there have been far worse eliminations through the years.

Charlie02123
05-20-2011, 10:03 AM
What a bunch of whiners over at Michael Slezak's tvline site! They are never going to watch AI again because Haley was ousted. I liked Haley, but there have been far worse eliminations through the years.
:yes:

I was bummed she got eliminated, but I should have believed in the pattern of a contestant surviving the bottom three a bunch of times before being axed before the finale.

She joins the ranks of Nikki McKibben, Kimberly Locke, and Syesha Mercado of having been in the bottom three the very first week and surviving to third. Another three were in the bottom a bunch of times.

Melinda Doolittle, Danny Gokey, and Casey James are the rare exceptions.

Kirkus
05-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I just realized I never posted this. I'm so sorry. :o

WEEK 7

Haley Reinhart :wavey:
Lauren Alaina
Scotty McCreery

WEEKLY SCORES:
Waylandboy|10|0|10|10|0|10|0|10|0|50
Tennisbrp|10|0|-|5|0|10|10|0|0|35
Kirkus|20|0|0|0|0|10|0|10|0|40

WINNER PREDICTIONS
Dry|0|1|0|4|0|0|0|2|1|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|6|0|0|0|0|2|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|2|0|2|1|0|0|2|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|1|5|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|8|0|0
Charlie|0|1|0|5|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|4|0|19|1|0|0|5|15|0|0

Just like Survivor, next week you'll be picking the WINNER.
A correct prediction will be worth 12 points (the usual 10 for a correct pick plus another 2 bonus points for predicting the winner).

Kirkus
05-24-2011, 10:12 PM
To wrap up the contest, we'll be picking THE WINNER before the results show begins tomorrow (Wednesday).

dryrunguy
05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
WINNER: Scotty

I guess :confused:

Charlie02123
05-24-2011, 10:25 PM
The producers did everything short of stabbing Scotty to try and hand Lauren the win.

Still, Scotty to WIN.

Babylockthemdoors...

shtexas
05-24-2011, 10:36 PM

Kirkus
05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
The producers did everything short of stabbing Scotty to try and hand Lauren the win.

Still, Scotty to WIN.

Babylockthemdoors...OMG. Thank you!! I was afraid I was going to be the only who saw that. I think the "doctor" coming out at the top of the show to describe how Lauren's vocal cords had been strained -- in order to get the sympathy vote -- was some of the cheesiest TV I've ever seen. Funny that she sounded alright.

And the song they chose for her compared to that *yawn* lullaby they made Scotty sing.

Can you say transparent?

I like Lauren better, but I still think Scotty will be the more successful recording artist.

(OK. I'll shut up now.)

Kirkus
05-24-2011, 10:57 PM
WINNER: Scotty

I guess :confused:LOL.

waylandboy-tw
05-25-2011, 03:01 AM

Congrats to Kirkus for being on his train from the beginning too. Looks like with the bonus points you'll be the champ!

Kirkus
05-25-2011, 07:24 PM

Congrats to Kirkus for being on his train from the beginning too. Looks like with the bonus points you'll be the champ!
I know!!

I mean, thank you. ;)

I'll post the final scoreboard after the show airs on the Left Coast.

Charlie02123
05-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Spoiler: The Bland Country Teen won. :D

Kirkus
05-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Spoiler: The Bland Country Teen won. :DLOL.

shtexas
05-25-2011, 09:28 PM
I still think Lauren has more cross-over appeal. But, she's very young and maybe it's better she not have the kind of pressure the champ has. Scotty is only a year older but is so smooth and confident, I think he'll handle it. A good enough Idol season. Seen better. Endured worse.

Kirkus
05-25-2011, 10:44 PM
Winner: Scotty McCreery

WEEKLY SCORES:
NAME|Wk 1|Wk 2|Wk 3|Wk 4|Wk 5|Wk 6|Wk 7|Wk 8|Wk 9|Bonus|Total
Dry|15|0|10|0|0|10|0|0|10|4|49
Waylandboy|10|0|10|10|0|10|0|10|10|6|66
Tennisbrp|10|0|-|5|0|10|10|0|-|0|35
Shtexas|10|0|5|10|0|10|0|0|10|12|57
Kirkus|20|0|0|0|0|10|0|10|10|18|68
Charlie|20|0|5|10|0|-|0|0|10|2|47

WINNER PREDICTIONS
Dry|0|1|0|4|0|0|0|2|2|0|0
Waylandboy|0|0|0|6|0|0|0|0|3|0|0
Tennisbrp|0|2|0|2|1|0|0|2|0|0|0
Shtexas|0|0|0|2|0|0|0|1|6|0|0
Kirkus|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|9|0|0
Charlie|0|1|0|5|0|0|0|0|1|0|0
|||||||||||
TOTALS|0|4|0|19|1|0|0|5|21|0|0

Kirkus
05-25-2011, 10:51 PM
I still think Lauren has more cross-over appeal. But, she's very young and maybe it's better she not have the kind of pressure the champ has. Scotty is only a year older but is so smooth and confident, I think he'll handle it. A good enough Idol season. Seen better. Endured worse.I agree with all of that.

I think Scotty's style is way over the top. I'm a country music fan, but I don't care for his sound at all.

I decided to pick one contestant at the beginning of the contest and stick with them until they were eliminated. I had no specific reason for choosing Scotty. He's just who I picked.

I really enjoy this contest. I hope we have more players next season.

Charlie02123
05-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Big congrats to Papa K.

I'm relieved that the week I missed didn't matter at all; I only would have tied for third. I never thought Scotty could win, despite being a front runner the whole time.

The bonus picks are what tipped it over the edge! Has that happened in this contest before?

Kirkus
05-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Big congrats to Papa K.

I'm relieved that the week I missed didn't matter at all; I only would have tied for third. I never thought Scotty could win, despite being a front runner the whole time.

The bonus picks are what tipped it over the edge! Has that happened in this contest before?I don't believe so. I think this is only the third of the AI contests that we've used the new scoring system with the bonus points.