PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Weir - Psycho Olympian, or misunderstood?

Moose
01-25-2007, 08:12 AM
SPOKANE, Wash. - Johnny Weir needs more thrills than being a world-class skater can provide.

The Chester County, Pa., native, who will perform his short program on Thursday when the men's competition begins at the 2007 U.S. Figure Skating Championships, has gotten his kicks from three national titles, from traveling the world and competing in the 2006 Olympics and several world championships.

Still, he wants more.

So away from the ice, away from the routines and the practices and the disciplined movements that figure skating demands, Weir seeks out risk, the weirder the better, drawn to the unconventional as completely as a fly is attracted to honey.

Why else would the 22-year-old model in a New York fashion show, pose for a magazine spread in high heels with a mini-dress wrapped around his waist, or create a long program in which he acts out the life of Jesus Christ?

"It's more exciting to walk in a fashion show or portray Jesus than it is to sit at home learning how to play the piano or skating to "The Nutcracker," Weir coolly explained Wednesday after practice at the Spokane Arena, where these championships will conclude on Saturday night.

Far from concealing his nature, the always flamboyant Weir enjoys discussing it. Wearing silver loafers and a striped top festooned with a dozen red buttons and Japanese characters he couldn't translate, he opened Wednesday's pre-event news conference by inviting the media to visit his wild side.

"Welcome," he began, "to my world."

While Weir, who trains at The Pond in Newark, Del., said he had been working as hard and skating as well as ever in advance of this weekend's anticipated duel with Evan Lysacek, he indicated that he'd also found time to walk on the wild side.

His latest adventures began this summer when Black Book editors approached him about doing a shoot for the fashion magazine's September issue.

"The risks I'm taking are natural to me," Weir said. "I didn't go to Black Book and say, `I want to pose in heels.' I said I'd do it because it's fun for me. It wasn't like I went in and said, `Oh my God, I want heels. I want fur. I want glitter. I want to be made up totally like Amanda Lepore (the self-proclaimed No. 1 transsexual in the world).' ... I think the pictures are very interesting. They're not gaudy. They're not campy. They're just me modeling clothes."

Just about the time the magazine, with a cover photo and 10-page spread on him, hit the streets, Weir was walking down a runway - modeling male fashions this time - for Heatherette, a trendy, New York-based designer.

He called it an opportunity to gain experience in the fashion world, where he hopes to pursue a career once he abandons skating.

Before that day comes, however, he wants to become the first American male in nearly two decades to capture four straight national championships. Brian Boitano (1985-88) was the last.

For that to happen, he will need to outskate Lysacek, who finished second to Weir a year ago and who had been skating much better than his rival until hip injuries grounded both earlier this season.

In fact, to listen to the pre-competition talk, you'd swear Weir, who plans to attempt a quad here, was the underdog. That might be because while Lysacek finished third at the 2006 World Championships, Weir was seventh.

"All that chatter about being an underdog, or not really having a chance, it's just talk." Weir said when the questions drifted briefly to the ice. "It doesn't change anything."

That prospect, along with the normal appeal of the pairs, the ice dancing and the female skaters, who also begin Thursday, has created considerable excitement in this city close to the Idaho border.

As of Wednesday, organizers had sold a record 146,311 tickets to the weeklong event, a total that easily surpassed the 125,345 sold in Los Angeles in 2002.

The anticipated men's battle between Weir and Lysacek could come down to how well the former skates in his controversial long program.

The music for Weir's free skate will be "Child of Nazareth" by Maxime Rodriguez. In it, he said, he will act out various aspects of Jesus' life, including his final breath.

Listen closely, and you can almost hear the outrage, when national viewers get a glimpse of that on Saturday night.

"In no way am I portraying the actual entity of Jesus," Weir said. "I'm just performing the story of his life. It's an interesting concept, an interesting idea to push myself forward and make myself better. It has nothing to do with anything else."

As if all that weren't enough controversy for one 5-foot-9 skater, someone asked Weir whether he'd had a chance to watch a recent television interview in which Mark Lund, the founder of International Figure Skating magazine, criticized him.

During the interview with Nancy Kerrigan, Lund said. "I cannot wrap my head around how overly out (Weir) is without saying he's out. . . . I just don't think he's representative of the community I want to be a part of."

Weir, who has never publicly acknowledged he is gay, said he'd heard Lund's remarks were "mean-spirited" but had not seen the show and would not respond until he had.

"No way that's a `no comment,' " he said. "When I have seen it, I'm sure I'll have something to say."

That might be the safest best since Secretariat.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16537958.htm

Moose
01-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Weir's from about 10 miles from me. Know a couple of people that know him, and their descriptions vary from "incredibly nice guy" to "arrogant p***k".

No denying he has talent...but his desire to be a showman takes away from it. And he seems to court controversy to heighten his "brand name", rather than for any particular purpose. Says outrageous stuff to the press when it seems uncalled for.

If he wins nationals, he'd be the first 4-peater since Boitano. But Boitano did a lot more World/Olympic wise than Johnny ever has, or probably ever will.

Ti-Amie
01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Far from concealing his nature, the always flamboyant Weir enjoys discussing it.

This guy's picture is next to both flamboyant and fabulous in the dictionary. My daughter loves ice skating so I'm very familiar with him. In a sport where flamoyance among men is the norm he still stands out.

Oh yeah, and he skates well too.

Moose
01-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Johnny's BlackBook photo shoot. Campy, dark, overtly sensual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thz73nOpys8

Moose
01-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Far from concealing his nature, the always flamboyant Weir enjoys discussing it.

This guy's picture is next to both flamboyant and fabulous in the dictionary. My daughter loves ice skating so I'm very familiar with him. In a sport where flamoyance among men is the norm he still stands out.

Oh yeah, and he skates well too.

Big talent, Ti. I think, however, sometimes someone like Johnny allows his talent to be overlooked by going for controversy. Not saying there is anything wrong with that...but it is a concious decision to sacrifice medals and money.

Are you a skating fan...do you remember Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay?

Ti-Amie
01-25-2007, 08:28 AM
I've only gotten back into it the last couple of years so those names are not familiar. There are some great ice dancing couples out there now and of course I can't remember their names at all!

The daughter is a fan of Mao Asada.

I agree with you about Weir. He self destructed during one event I saw. I think he needs to rein all the fabulousness in and put that energy into skating.

Moose
01-25-2007, 08:36 AM
I've only gotten back into it the last couple of years so those names are not familiar. There are some great ice dancing couples out there now and of course I can't remember their names at all!

I agree with you about Weir. He self destructed during one event I saw. I think he needs to rein all the fabulousness in and put that energy into skating.

The Duchesnay's revolutionized Ice Dancing in the 80s. They came out at the '88 Olympics, pretty much unknowns out of France, and instead of the traditional Vivaldi, Strauss type program, they went with an African tribal drums and bass. No one knew what to think of them (they had left Canada in the mid-80s because they were told they weren't that good).

Here's their take on the Tango from the '88 Olympics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWbb_rAWjEs

Moose
01-25-2007, 08:38 AM

Womens' Figure Skating has always been a little too "pretty" for my taste, though I appreciate the talent and effort. Do like the athletic ones, like Surya Bonaly and Midori Ito.

I always thought the greatest skater I ever saw was Alexei Yagudin.

Ti-Amie
01-25-2007, 08:43 AM
Where is Surya now? And Midori Ito was a great one.

dryrunguy
01-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I saw Weir skate his new "Jesus Christ" program in one of the ISU events. Let's just say I hope he's been working on it because: 1) he was missing all of his elements; and 2) no one was getting the Christ connection from his interpretation.

My take? Certifiably [smiley=nutso.gif] .

Dry

dryrunguy
01-25-2007, 08:50 AM
BTW, of course, I couldn't care less about his sexuality and respect his right to express himself as he sees fit. But I always get nervous when he speaks because I worry that, any second, a purse is going to fall out of his mouth...

Dry

Moose
01-25-2007, 08:55 AM
I saw Weir skate his new "Jesus Christ" program in one of the ISU events. Let's just say I hope he's been working on it because: 1) he was missing all of his elements; and 2) no one was getting the Christ connection from his interpretation.

Dry

Somehow, Dry, can't imagine Christ landing a Quad.

Ti-Amie
01-25-2007, 08:57 AM
BTW, of course, I couldn't care less about his sexuality and respect his right to express himself as he sees fit. But I always get nervous when he speaks because I worry that, any second, a purse is going to fall out of his mouth...

Dry

A purse? Really? Is that what they're calling them now? ;D

Moose
01-25-2007, 09:21 AM

Dry

A purse? Really? Is that what they're calling them now? ;D

If that's what they are called, then Tommy Haas, based on our "Caption This" photo, would appear to need an entourage to carry his bags

dryrunguy
01-25-2007, 09:51 AM

Dry

As I understand it, Weir can't either.

But Mary Magdalene might be able to pull it off. ;)

Dry

Moose
01-25-2007, 09:53 AM

Dry

But Mary Magdalene might be able to pull it off. ;)

Dry

Not if Tonya "The Goon of Galilee" Harding got to her first 8-)

Louche
01-25-2007, 10:21 AM
This kills me...

"Lund said. "I cannot wrap my head around how overly out (Weir) is without saying he's out. . . . I just don't think he's representative of the community I want to be a part of."

Dick Button
John Curry
Toller Cranston
Brian Orser
Rudy Galindo
Emanuel Sandhu
On and on and on....

Moose
01-25-2007, 10:41 AM
This kills me...

"Lund said. "I cannot wrap my head around how overly out (Weir) is without saying he's out. . . . I just don't think he's representative of the community I want to be a part of."

Dick Button
John Curry
Toller Cranston
Brian Orser
Rudy Galindo
Emanuel Sandhu
On and on and on....

yeah... a truly bizarre statement, Luche, considering the sports history.

mmmm8
01-25-2007, 04:06 PM

Womens' Figure Skating has always been a little too "pretty" for my taste, though I appreciate the talent and effort. Do like the athletic ones, like Surya Bonaly and Midori Ito.

I saw a special on Yagudin's post-retirement life on Russian TV. Great skater, but complete [smiley=asshole.gif]

evil_juju
01-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Dry

I saw him too at Skate Canada and couldnt agree more... It was very lackluster.

dryrunguy
01-25-2007, 05:47 PM

Dry

I saw him too at Skate Canada and couldnt agree more... It was very lackluster.

I just remember watching all those Jesus films at Christmas time when I was a kid, and I just don't remember Jesus flailing his arms like that... But I did notice a similarity to Weir and Jesus trying to carry the cross down the Via Dolorosa... Lots of falling down.

Dry

Louche
01-25-2007, 06:08 PM
IIRC, from the Stations of the Cross, Christ fell just 3 times. Dolorosa and Main, Dolorosa and Vine...forgot the last one.

Brian Joubert just became Euro Champ today in this too Fug to be gay ensemble.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7990/jouberttc4.jpg

Moose
01-25-2007, 06:20 PM
IIRC, from the Stations of the Cross, Christ fell just 3 times. Dolorosa and Main, Dolorosa and Vine...forgot the last one.

my gawd. HFPY must be selling his wardrobe at a consignment shop. Things must be desperate.

hurricanejeanne
01-25-2007, 06:30 PM

my gawd. HFPY must be selling his wardrobe at a consignment shop. Things must be desperate.

My gawd indeed. Apparenly Justine had a prenup.
But that could be a good career for HFPY.

*sigh* figure skating, I used to be a huge fan when I was a kid.

Moose
01-25-2007, 06:43 PM

My gawd indeed. Apparenly Justine had a prenup.
But that could be a good career for HFPY.

*sigh* figure skating, I used to be a huge fan when I was a kid.

I wonder if she had a confidentiality clause in the pre-nup, Jeanne. HFPY might have some great secrets available for the highest bidder.

Moose
01-25-2007, 07:30 PM
well, Johnny's in 2nd place after the short program. Evan Lysacek is in first. And funny (as in cincidence, not funny haha), Evan did his short program to the music from "The Last Temptation Of Christ" (which is a BRILLIANT movie)

GVGirl
01-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

Louche
03-22-2007, 07:54 AM
World Championship in Tokyo - Johnny missed the podium by a mile. Evan was top American, but still no medal. Whole lotta' falling going on.

Weir said - "I forgot to breathe a little bit. It was basically just nerves," Weir said. "I've been having some trouble adjusting here. My costume is even tired."

mmmm8
01-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, look what thread I dug up.

I just happened upon figure skating on ESPN.

Weir left his old coach and took up with a Russian coach who had worked with Oxana Baiul and Vikrtor Petrenko (I think her last name is Sinyavskaya)

He seems to have toned down a lot, but has gotten much better technically.

jjnow
01-12-2008, 03:12 PM
How eerie that you bump this now. I was just reading about Christopher Bowman's overdose. I had no idea who he was, but his resume seems solid enough.

mmmm8
01-12-2008, 05:59 PM
And Johnny Weir wins the Cup of Russia.
(I'm sure this is on tape from weeks ago - it's ESPN)

He actually moved moved to Russia, it turns out, and he speaks Russian almost with no accent, and the fans totally adopted him (esp. the girls - someone should tell them :rolleyes:)

Stephane Lambiel made a mistake almost falling, but his program was just mesmerizing to watch.

GVGirl
01-12-2008, 06:01 PM

He actually moved moved to Russia, it turns out, and he speaks Russian almost with no accent, and the fans totally adopted him (esp. the girls - someone should tell them :rolleyes:)

Stephane Lambiel made a mistake almost falling, but his program was just mesmerizing to watch.

Did Dick Button provide commentary? I watch skating only when he is in the booth, Peggy Flemming is boring!

mmmm8
01-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Did Dick Button provide commentary? I watch skating only when he is in the booth, Peggy Flemming is boring!

I think so.

And this turned out to have been from November!

Johnny crapped out in the Grand Prix Final in December and came in fourth. Lambiel won.

Moose
01-12-2008, 06:13 PM

There was just another article here on him this past week, M8. I don't know that he has moved to Russia permanently, he changed coaches, and was going to Russia to work with his new coach. He talked about his flawless Russian...and how much "prettier" a language Russian is than English. Oh, and he was wearing a jumpsuit and heavy eye makeup, and talking about how he wanted some new Vuitton bag more than anything.

Kirkus
01-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Don't like him. Don't like him. Just don't like him.

Moose
01-12-2008, 07:31 PM
He really is a beautiful guy. Sadly, he goes to such extremes to act that he is just "above" everything and everyone else, it completely changes your feelings about him.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/graphics/01johnny.jpg

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/06bangs/01.jpg

craighickman
01-12-2008, 07:41 PM
During the interview with Nancy Kerrigan, Lund said. "I cannot wrap my head around how overly out (Weir) is without saying he's out. . . . I just don't think he's representative of the community I want to be a part of."

That's because who he is, a free spirit to be sure, and how he expresses himself doesn't have anything to do with you or your "community", silly. I'd bet the farm he doesn't want you representing him either.

craighickman
01-12-2008, 07:46 PM

I actually thought itty bitty Tara Lipinski was pretty athletic. Not like Bonaly and Ito, but man did she show out to snatch that gold medal.

jjnow
01-12-2008, 07:47 PM
...and how much "prettier" a language Russian is than English.
Johnny's got a point here.

craighickman
01-12-2008, 08:00 PM
This kills me...

Dick Button
John Curry
Toller Cranston
Brian Orser
Rudy Galindo
Emanuel Sandhu
On and on and on....

I always that Paul Wylie out-Queened them all.

verucasalt
01-12-2008, 08:03 PM
I think so.

And this turned out to have been from November!

Johnny crapped out in the Grand Prix Final in December and came in fourth. Lambiel won.

Just like ESPN to make me think this was a more recent competition. I guess Johnny really hasn't changed at all.

oohsalmon
01-12-2008, 11:20 PM
The only figure skater who I ever really liked. Craig mentioned her a bit upthread.

rC7yJ4jez68

K Sedia
01-13-2008, 05:57 AM
To judges: Back flip in your face with a ton of eye makeup.

(Apropos of nothing, her mother made me a bit uncomfortable.)

craighickman
01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
The only figure skater who I ever really liked. Craig mentioned her a bit upthread.

rC7yJ4jez68

I enjoyed her for her spunk and athleticism, but it always puzzled me that she couldn't nail her jumps.

jjnow
01-13-2008, 10:55 AM
LOL. I love the reaction to the backflip. Literally Oh no she didn't!

GVGirl
01-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Bonaly lives in the US now and is a citizen. She lives in Vegas.
http://suryabonaly.com/