PDA

View Full Version : One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest

Kirkus
09-29-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure buy I think it might considered a modern classic.

Moose
10-01-2004, 08:39 AM
Im gonna read Animal Farm this month. I heard it was good. Anyone here?

Good? Animal Farm is a friggin CLASSIC! It's right up there with Brave New World and Lord Of The Flies in terms of 20th century classic literature. Add in To Kill A Mockingbird, The Great Gatsby, Catcher In The Rye, 1984 (also Orwell), Catch 22, The Good Earth, and The Sun ALso Rises, and you have my Top 10 from the 1900's.
Notice - NO STEINBECK! STEINBECK SUCKSSSSSSSSSS!

leah_jewel
10-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Moose... you're a man after my own heart. wonderful choices in literature. And I, myself, am not a huge Steinbeck fan either, so you have my vote.

Betsy.. you're a teeanger so you HAVE to read Catcher in the Rye. It's required reading for teens as far as I'm concerned. To Kill A Moockingbird is my favorite book of all time. Slaughterhouse 5 is a TRIP but a great book as well. Just weird.. but it's Vonnegut so you get used to it after awhile.

I also recommend Brave New World and Catch22 despite the fact they're not on your list. And Gatsby. so many great books.

Moose
10-02-2004, 08:01 AM
To Kill A Moockingbird is my favorite book of all time.

Mine too, Leah. Hard to believe that Harper Lee wrote what is universally recognized as one of the greatest books ever written, and then wrote no more. Have you ever heard the story that it was actually Truman Capote that wrote "TKAM"?

I read A LOT. Mostly fiction and biographies, with some motivational stuff tossed in on occasion. Among contemporary writers, I really like Tom Robbins, "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues" is a personal favorite of mine. Really like Michael Chabon. Right now I am reading Arthur Phillip's "The Egyptologist", which is a blast. He wrote "Prague", a best seller a couple of years back.

leah_jewel
10-02-2004, 09:40 AM
I have been told about the Truman Capote TKAM possibility. I don't believe it. Mostly because I don't like capote that much.

I've been told I need to read "Even Cowgirls get the Blues" but I haven't picked it up yet.

Douglas Coupland is probably my favorite contemporary author. I recently finished his book "Life After God.' Man.. you want a slightly philosophical and really depressing book? Pick it up. It was good, don't get me wrong, but small doses. His book, Microserfs, is recommended to anyone who's into computers or programming. Hilarious and moving.

That's all for now.