PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with music now?

leah_jewel
09-25-2004, 01:24 PM
There are a lot of complaints about the music that's being released lately. I, being a songwriter, am at the forefront of these complaints. But, tonight while staring at my ceiling, I tried to figure out why I hate it exactly. What's wrong with it.

I am thus starting this thread in hopes that others will throw in their 2 cents on this topic... or I will be left talking to myself.. which isn't all that surprising in itself. I'll kepe my own 2 cents to myself for now.. I may need it to buy diet coke...

That is all.

Kirkus
09-25-2004, 01:40 PM
It's crap! That's whats wrong with it. ;)

Seriously tho... I think it's a lack of originality and musicianship. (Yes. I made up that word :).) To me, one song sounds like the next one and the next one and the next one. And not one of them sounds like a real instrument was used in its production. It's all produced in microchips. I also wonder if those who are buying the music really care about the "music". The industry has to produce what sells. Maybe there's a real lack of music appreciation out there so the necessity to produce quality "music" is no longer there.

Just my thoughts.

leah_jewel
09-27-2004, 05:50 AM
I'll proudly raise my hand as one of the people that take music too seriously. I know I do. Music is one of my few passions and I am constantly reading about what's happening in the music business. My friends have come to rely on me when they have questions like, "Who sings that one song?"

While I agree that the music of the 60's was revolutionary, I disagree with the fact that there's not a lot of material for good music. There's always material. My all time favorite song is When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge. It's a simple song, but it's simplicity is what makes it so great. Music doesn't have to be about the war to be good.

As for people being accustomed to a certain type of music... my collection dates back to the 60's and 70's with a lot of Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin and James Taylor all the way to now with people like Matchbox20, LeAnn Rimes and Jewel. I think good music transcends time and I have to wonder if people in 30 years are going to listen to Britney and Justin the way I listen to Dylan and Janis.

I guess my main problem is with the popular music today.. the stuff in the top spots on Billboard's Hot 100. It just seems it's all about sex or drugs or slapping my ho. There's still a lot of great music being made, but it's not as popular. In a nutshell that's my main complaint: The good music, in my humble opinion, isn't the popular stuff.

I'm done for now.

Sebastien447
09-29-2004, 11:05 AM
I am a highschool teacher and I'm continually amazed at the sophisticated musical tastes of my kids. They listen to Scott Joplin, and Frank Sinatra, and the Birds, and Pink Floyd, and Big Audio Dynamite, and EVERYTHING in between ... as well as more contemporary stuff.

Some of the recent stuff is crap to me, like Marilyn Manson ... but as was stated earlier in this thread, that's just a matter of taste. I like much of the contemporary music that they're listening to ... Cold Play, Flogging Molly, and Dispatch come to mind.

gernaserna
10-02-2004, 04:31 AM
Yo Leah_Jewel;

This is Gerna Serna here. How are you? I need a favor. Do you have the Country music chart dated July 27th, 2002? If you do could you E-mail it to me? Somehow, getting myself caught up, I got to that point and saw I missed it. Going back from a later date can be such a pain and a drag!!! If you do I would appreciate it a whole bunch.

Gerna

leah_jewel
10-02-2004, 06:32 AM
I'm trying to imagine what I would've thought in high school if one of my teachers listened to Flogging Molly....

Kinda cool actually. They're good stuff. Devil's Dance Floor is a great song.

I know I'm in the minority here but I can't stand Coldplay. They just rub me the wrong way.

Moose
10-02-2004, 08:09 AM
There's still a lot of great music out there...you just gotta search beyond what is played at Top 40 stations to find it most of the time.

I'm big on old school soul music, electronica, classic rock, some hip-hop, jazz...but I"ll listen to almost anything.

DJTiesto - you're right about Alicia - real talented woman that knows the importance of live instrumentation. Love "The Diary Of Alicia Keys" - I"ve been playing it since it came out. I like a lot of what they call the "neo-soul" musicians - D'Angelo, Maxwell, Jill Scott, Angie Stone, Mary J. BLige, India.Arie.

Two discs coming out this coming week that I am really looking forward to - Raphael Sadiiq's "Ray Ray" and Chaka Khan's "ClassicKhan". Sadiiq was in the bands Tony Toni Tone and Lucy Pearl, and really knows how to write a song. His last studio disc was incredible. And Chaka, for me, has been the greatest singer of my lifetime.

I"m also real big on The Stones, Stevie Wonder, Sly and the Family Stone, Depeche Mode, New Order and Cassandra Wilson.

Moose
10-03-2004, 10:19 AM
DJ:
Do you know the British duo Layo and Bushwacka - incredible sounds, and they are great with their samples.
I'm real big on Oakenfold (isn't everybody).
I've had Tiesto's "Parade Of The Athletes" in my I-Pod lately, like that a lot.
Do you know BT? Somnambulist (Simply Being Loved") was probably my favorite somg last year.