PDA

View Full Version : Shame on Kirkus

shtexas
10-08-2004, 04:21 AM
I think it is such a shame you have removed threads that I had to start another topic about such censorship. I thought the discussion was civil. It was such a treat to be on a board where we can disagree but be respectful.

I thought you separated political discussion into its own section so we can openly discuss those issues and those that are not interested don't have to go in to that section and read them.

I repeat, it's a shame. Here, I had disappeared for a while and just started posting again. I was thinking how great these threads were yesterday. Now, they are gone.

Moose
10-08-2004, 04:43 AM
Shtexas:
Kirkus admitted he made a mistake, and apologized for doing so. From what I can tell, he's learning how to be the best moderator he can be - sometimes you trip along the path.
I'm cool with giving him a pass on this.

shtexas
10-08-2004, 04:50 AM
I'm ok now too. I just had to get it out how annoyed I was. I was here when he started the site and I thought one of the reasons (among several) was to get away from some of the silly censorship on the ESPN board. So, I was momentarily taken aback when I saw he had done the same thing. But, I am over it now. :)

Again, if you are not into politics or have a thin skin, don't go into that section. On the ESPN boards, you really have no choice. It is all right there on the same page.

Moose
10-08-2004, 04:55 AM
Now if he deletes references to Mashona and Xavier this weekend...well, that's another story

Feech
10-08-2004, 09:22 AM
Kirkus is a good egg. Whose not made a mistake? I've made plenty. One time I had just a slight error in judgement and three people died. Now that's a mistake.

Boss, could you make that check out to Junior Feechy this time?

Kirkus
10-08-2004, 10:56 AM
I think it is such a shame you have removed threads that I had to start another topic about such censorship. I thought the discussion was civil. It was such a treat to be on a board where we can disagree but be respectful.

You're absolutely right. It is a shame. And I strongly regret having done it.

I thought you separated political discussion into its own section so we can openly discuss those issues and those that are not interested don't have to go in to that section and read them

That's exactly the reasoning behind the many different topics. To give members an easy way to discuss topics of interest to them without needing to wade through stuff they don't care about. That's still part of TAT's mission.

I repeat, it's a shame. Here, I had disappeared for a while and just started posting again. I was thinking how great these threads were yesterday. Now, they are gone.

They are gone. And I've spent hours today looking for a way to recapture them, including reading every page in my browser's caches.

I'm ok now too. I just had to get it out how annoyed I was. I was here when he started the site and I thought one of the reasons (among several) was to get away from some of the silly censorship on the ESPN board. So, I was momentarily taken aback when I saw he had done the same thing. But, I am over it now

I'm glad you didn't stay upset for long. And I sincerely hope you, as with anyone else who disagrees with my action, will understand that I deeply regret having done it.

However, and in defense of myself, it wasn't done with a spirit of censorship. I absolutely will not censor any post unless it's a blatant attack on another member. I thought I was protecting the reputation of TAT, as silly as that sounds now. Having had a day to think about it and read some of the responses here, it's painfully obvious that what I did goes directly against what I want TAT to be.