PDA

View Full Version : The Clash

Moose
10-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Damn, what an incredible band.
I've been listening to "Sandinista" this afternoon/evening (it was 3 vinyl albums when it initially was released, so it is a lot of CD time). I love "The Magnificient 7" and "Hitsville UK" on Sandinista, but then I don't know if I ever heard a Clash song I didn't like.
Never understood wht The Sex Pistols got so much acclaim when they were basically loud and talentless - you always see "Anarchy In The UK" cited as one of the greatest albums ever, when all it really was was a primer for the Bristish punk rock rebellion. It was the Clash who brought actual songs, and solid musicianship to the table when they began recording.
I saw them a couple of times, here in Philly and in NYC (one of the infamous Bonds shows). Live, they were incredible - all power and adreniline.
One of the greatest bands of all time!

Betsmoyo
10-24-2004, 10:35 AM
I love the clash its tho only alternative band of the 80s that ive heard of and like!

meadfish
10-24-2004, 10:55 AM
What about the "Talking Heads"? Do they fit in the same genre? If so then they would be my favorite

Moose
10-24-2004, 10:50 PM
Hey Mead:
In my own head, for some reason, I seperate the British "new wave" with the so-called American "no wave" - the artsy, risen from CGBG groups of the late 70's-early 80's that sort of changedd the American music landscape.

The punk/angry movement out of Britian is best charecterized by the Pistols, the Clash, early Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson.
The NYNY movement - the Heads, Blondie, Patti Smith, the Ramones, Sonic Youth,...

All great stuff of course, but the British movement was more about politics, while the American movement was more about art. Bryne, Tina and all met at art school, and the rest of the NY bands were as noted for being a part of, or involved with the artists of NYC at the time (Patti Smith and Robert Maplethorp were best buds, Debbie Harry and the members of Sonic Youth alll hung with Warhol,...). I think the British side of the coin would have been appalled at the art connection (unless it was someone like Cy Twombley).

T-Heads, though, were incredible. Put on "Sand In The Vaseline" (their greatest hits), and you don't need to skip any songs when you listen to the disc. Though I have a special place in my heart for Home (This Must Be The Place).

Sebastien447
10-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Huge fan of the Clash ... and I agree with you Moose ... so much more talented than the Sex Pistols. Though maybe the Pistols received so much attention because they were seen to be "revolutionary."

Big Audio Dynamite put out some good stuff as well ... a band begun by one or two members of the Clash ... I think. Back in the day I knew all the names, but now I'm old and senile :'(