PDA

View Full Version : The Bible

Feech
10-02-2004, 08:23 AM
I rank the Bible as the greatest book of all time.

(I need all the help I can get)

meadfish
10-08-2004, 11:16 AM
I like the acronym the bible:

Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth ;D

Spoil-sport
10-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Hmm. The Bible. Ok, fair enough, but ummm...
which version?

meadfish
10-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Hmm. The Bible. Ok, fair enough, but ummm...
which version?
Do you mean which version of the Christian Bible as in King James version, New International Version, New American Standard version, New King James version etc... or as in which version of Religion as in the Jehovah's witness New World Translation, or the Mormon Bible, or even the Koran? Either way I think my answer is probably the same... Find which one best lines up with what you believe and go from there. If you earnestly seek "God" I believe the true God will draw you to the path that will lead you to Him. For me that path is the Christian Bible. For you it may be something else... or may be to choose no path at all ;)

Sebastien447
10-26-2004, 09:20 AM
For me that path is the Christian Bible. For you it may be something else... or may be to choose no path at all

for me it's a long green trail on a crisp sunny morn! :D

Spoil-sport
10-27-2004, 01:44 AM
Nope, had I meant, which version of religion, I would have said exactly that. Since the topic was the bible as a book, I meant exactly that, which version of the bible? And again, no, I didnt mean which version of the "Christian bible", because there is no Hindu bible or Buddhist bible or Shinto bible. I would not be so presumptious as to refer to their books as their bibles.
I believe there can be such a thing as stretching acceptance and generalization too thinly. Unless you are saying you study the Christian Koran? ;)

meadfish
10-27-2004, 04:15 AM
Your question was "which version of the bible". Well since Christians, JW's, Mormons, even Catholics have different versions I think it was a reasonable request for clarification. That said...

Any time you take writings from one language and translate to another you will have to make choices about which words fit best. When translating Greek and Hebrew to English there are often many possible choices. I did a quick search for "love" in Hebrew. There were 14 possible choices. So every time they translated the word love, they had to decide which of the 14 Hebrew words for love best fit the context. That's just one word and they did the whole Bible! So obviously there will be instances where someone thinks another word is a better fit, or revealed the meaning better. When I study the Bible I try to have two or three versions for cross referencing. Which is right? I think they are all right, just different translations. Which goes back to my original answer... find which best lines up with your inner beliefs and go from there ;)

meadfish
10-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Spoil-Sport, with all due respect... It appears to me that you are not trying to discuss an issue, but rather to argue one. I really have no desire to argue. I think my points were clearly made but I guess you can argue that also ;)