PDA

View Full Version : Random ramblings

leah_jewel
10-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Once in awhile.. well, more than that I suppose, I get into this real cerebral moods and start thinking "outside of the box" if you will. I'm posting my current thoughts here so I have an outlet, but also to see if anyone else has thoughts on the matters.

Does anyone else wish that humans were more like computers? I realize that's a broad statement, so I'll narrow it down to my current thought process.

I sometimes wish that we could go through our memory banks and delete stuff we don't want to remember any more, like old files and pictures and stuff on hard drives. I realize that our experiences shape and mold us into who we are and who we are to become, and I kind of like that aspect of humanity. But, at the same time, I don't think it's necessary to remember the events that shaped us.

I'd basically like to defrag my brain.

Sebastien447
10-30-2004, 09:02 AM
I've always believed that, as new information enters into the front of our brains, old information is seeping out the back end!

Kirkus
10-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Holy shit! That's deep!

Obviously we all have memories we'd like to forget (I had to install a second hard-drive just to hold all of mine). But something primal inside me says that having the ability to delete the pictures and thoughts that we don't like would not be a positive step. I think the memories that threaten our well-being are, for the most part, automatically hidden in a file that remains locked... and we don't know the password. Many people who have experienced painful tragic accidents say that they don't remember a thing except "waking up in the hospital".

I'm afraid if we were more like computers, I'd get the RAM with the short in it.

leah_jewel
10-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Holy shit! That's deep!

I take that as a compliment. ;D

I suppose you're right though, about how we tend to block out the uber bad stuff.

I wonder if the concept of "memories" is just a human thing or if all animals experience it. I'm of the thinking that we're the only ones because our days vary so differently from other animals.

Other aniimals seem to lead slightly humdrum lives. Wake up, hunt, eat, sleep, eat or be eaten, go to bed. What do animals DO all day? I think you have to have a certain amount of variety to your days in order to form memories. If you do nothing out of the ordinary, or nothing of shock value interrupts your life, what is there to remember?

Although I guess that seeing your brother Leo the Lion be attacked and eaten would count for shock value. But then again, maybe that's one of those super bad things that they block out.

meadfish
10-30-2004, 11:14 AM
(I had to install a second hard-drive just to hold all of mine)
When I heard you had a "hard-drive" installed, I pictured something much different ;D And if I could delete mental stuff, I would delete said picture :o

Sebastien447
10-31-2004, 06:22 AM
There's a National forrest across the street from my house and sometimes I think it would be grand to pack up a bag and walk over there and just live off the land. Just be done with the pressures and demands of life in this society. No dollar bills to worry about and no hassles with writing out little pieces of paper to send off through the mail to pay for this or that. No broken down machinery that needs to be fixed. No 401ks or savings accounts. No traffic jams. No crowds. No hustle and bustle. No clocks, noise pollution, road rage, hypertension, type As, dentists, mean people, or Mondays.

Then I think, no TV or internet.

So I haven't done it yet.

leah_jewel
10-31-2004, 08:48 AM
I would like to program myself to exercise and eat only healthy things.

Yes! There are so many computer operations that I wish humans had the ability to use.

I think I'm of the last generation that didn't just grow up with computers. We didn't have our first household computer until I was 13 or so. Kids nowadays (listen to how old I sound!) grow up around this technology. I fear that a certain amount of childhood creativity is being lost to software and motherboards.

At the same time though, computers, and technology in general, is of the future and it always has been. The human race is always moving forward and enabling ourselves to do things that 100 years ago would be deemed impossible.

I just wonder what my grandchildren will be playing with while I reminisce about Tinker Toys and running aorund with a blanket tied around my neck pretending to be some superhero.

3mlm
10-31-2004, 12:14 PM
I think I'm of the last generation that didn't just grow up with computers. We didn't have our first household computer until I was 13 or so. Kids nowadays (listen to how old I sound!) grow up around this technology. I fear that a certain amount of childhood creativity is being lost to software and motherboards.

My family didn't have a TV until I was 6 years old in 1954.

The first computer I had was a TI home computer we bought in 1982 when I was 35 years old.

But I'm very comfortable with computers even though they were in their infancy and generally unavailable when I was growing up.