PDA

View Full Version : The Stand by Stephen King

Kirkus
09-26-2004, 03:31 AM
Whenever I think of great books, that's what comes to mind first. It's become a family tradition (we've all read it at least once, most of us several times). My wife swears whenever she starts reading it she gets a cold. If you've read it, you'll understand. ;)

When I make time to read nowadays, it's usually political stuff. Non-fiction.

Sebastien447
09-26-2004, 08:25 AM
Whenever I think of great books, that's what comes to mind first. It's become a family tradition (we've all read it at least once, most of us several times). My wife swears whenever she starts reading it she gets a cold. If you've read it, you'll understand. ;)

When I make time to read nowadays, it's usually political stuff. Non-fiction.

That's one of King's I missed ... I'll put it on my list though ... and that's just it ... the last 5 years or so I haven't been "making" enough time to read.

As a kid, I read A Prayer for Owen Meany over and over again ... I loved that book.

leah_jewel
09-26-2004, 10:58 AM
That's one of King's I missed ... I'll put it on my list though ... and that's just it ... the last 5 years or so I haven't been "making" enough time to read.

As a kid, I read A Prayer for Owen Meany over and over again ... I loved that book.

Aw... that's so cute that you read that book a million times.. I read it and hated it. I had to read it for school though so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe I should give it another try...

Maybe not.

I'm a To Kill A Mockingbird type gal myself.

Sebastien447
09-27-2004, 08:03 AM
Aw... that's so cute that you read that book a million times.. I read it and hated it. I had to read it for school though so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe I should give it another try...

Maybe not.

I'm a To Kill A Mockingbird type gal myself.

Wow ... never met anyone who actually "hated" Meany. Ahh, to each their own though eh. To Kill a Mockingbird is a classic, great book

and thanks for calling me "cute" ... I don't hear that much :P

meadfish
10-08-2004, 11:23 AM
I rarely read because if I had that much time I would rather go do something... just me. I did however read The Stand. And I did the get the "cold"
Great book though, so descriptive. Of the few books I have read, King's are most of them. Misery, and the short story that became Shawshank Redemption.

shtexas
10-10-2004, 06:30 AM
I have not been reading a lot lately, other than magazines, newspapers and the internet. But, it is funny you all have mentioned The Stand and A Prayer for Owen Meany, because I have read both twice. I have told many that Owen Meany is arguably the best book I have ever read.

(And yes, reading stuff for school can make any book less enjoyable)

leah_jewel
10-10-2004, 06:33 AM
(And yes, reading stuff for school can make any book less enjoyable)

Alright.. since everyone else seems to like Meany, after I finish PB I will give it another shot. Maybe I'll like it this time.

shtexas
10-10-2004, 06:43 AM
By the way, I thought Owen Meany was published in 1989? Seb said he read it over and over as a kid. I first read it when it came out a year later in paperback.

I will add "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy. A bit melodramatic, but I like a good southern family saga. However, there is a flashback passage to the Holocaust, which is a long, tough part to get through.

Sebastien447
10-10-2004, 07:19 AM
By the way, I thought Owen Meany was published in 1989? Seb said he read it over and over as a kid.

You know how incredibly old I am don't you ... "kid" is a relative term! ;)

Truth be told ... I NEVER read for pleasure until I was in my twenties. Though I do remember being captivated by Babar the Elephant as a child! :D

Kirkus
10-11-2004, 03:43 PM
You know how incredibly old I am don't you ... "kid" is a relative term! ;)

Truth be told ... I NEVER read for pleasure until I was in my twenties. Though I do remember being captivated by Babar the Elephant as a child! :D

I'm beginning to think we're polar opposites. ;)
I read a lot as a kid, especially a teenager (Yes we had books back then :P) and it seems the older I get the less I have a desire to read (books).

meadfish
10-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Though I do remember being captivated by Babar the Elephant as a child! :D I was speed reading through the thread and saw this as "Captured by Babar the Elephant" lol, I had a picture of Babar sitting on Seb's legs :D

leah_jewel
10-13-2004, 07:35 AM
::)Speed reading fishy one? LOL

renegade711
11-01-2004, 10:25 PM
8) The Stand is an excellent book, one of the best written. Gotta also agree with Leah on To Kill A Mockingbird. Another great book.