PDA

View Full Version : We're Letting Them Take Our Country Away!

Sebastien447
11-11-2004, 05:42 AM
Why aren't people up in arms about the Patriot Act? If anyone could help me to understand this, I would greatly appreciate it because I just don't get it! Today's front page of the USA Today contained another of their snappy little graphs which showed the percentages of people who support curbing civil liberties because of terrorism:
Ages 40-57 ... 65%
Ages 58-69 ... 69%
Ages 70+ ...... 71%
How can this be true? I know people are afraid of terrorism, but how can we allow our government to take away our liberties? How can we be in favor of allowing our country to be taken away. If we somehow manage to "win" the war on terrorism, what will we be left with?

And for anyone believing that laws like the Patriot Act will only be used against the bad guys, don't fool yourself ...

Two weeks ago I experienced a very small taste of what hundreds of South Asian immigrants and U.S. citizens of South Asian descent have gone through since 9/11, and what thousands of others have come to fear. I was held, against my will and without warrant or cause, under the USA PATRIOT Act. While I understand the need for some measure of security and precaution in times such as these, the manner in which this detention and interrogation took place raises serious questions about police tactics and the safeguarding of civil liberties in times of war.

The Patriot Act is just the first phase of the erosion of the Fourth Amendment. From the Justice Department has emerged a draft of the Domestic Securities Enhancement Act, also known as Patriot II. Among other things, this act would allow the Justice Department to detain anyone, anytime, secretly and indefinitely. It would also make it a crime to reveal the identity or even existence of such a detainee.

Every American citizen, whether they support the current war or not, should be alarmed by the speed and facility with which these changes to our fundamental rights are taking place. And all of those who thought that these laws would never affect them, who thought that the Patriot Act only applied to the guilty should heed this story as a wake-up call. Please learn from my experience. We are all vulnerable so speak out and organize, our Fourth Amendment rights depend upon it.

http://www.alternet.org/story/15760

meadfish
11-11-2004, 07:38 AM
Here is a good article all about the Patriot Act

http://slate.msn.com/id/2087984/

and a link to the actual Act
http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html

basically, government is allowed to bypass the constitution if they deem it is in the interest of counter-terrorism :-X

Sebastien447
11-11-2004, 07:41 AM
Sebastien how were you held against your will?

Wasn't me ... I put that text in italics to indicate that it was a quote. And the link to the full article is included at the bottom.

Sorry if that was not clear.

Sebastien447
11-11-2004, 07:48 AM
basically, government is allowed to bypass the constitution

And people support this?!!!

Sure we need to do everything possible to fight terrorism ... but I believe that fear has overwhelmed better judgement in this country.

Kirkus
11-12-2004, 10:18 AM
And people support this?!!!

Sure we need to do everything possible to fight terrorism ... but I believe that fear has overwhelmed better judgement in this country.

Now my co-administrator and I are back on the same page :D (oop oop oop).

It's always seemed to me that the Patriot Act (kind of a deceptive title if you ask me) was like a feather in the terrorist's cap. Like a little chunk knocked out of the very thing that makes us who we are.

In a word, I think it's "bullshit".

(There'll probably be a knock on my door any day now for that comment.)

Sebastien447
11-12-2004, 11:32 PM
and the stats are BS as well! The wording is everything in these polls, and sheeple can be tricked into responding in any way that a pollster wants.

I've never met any person who supports the Patriot Act, EVER! Every person that I've ever talked to is dead set against the thing like you and I kirki!

SO WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THIS PIECE OF CRAP?!!! They make up two thirds of the country according to USA Today! Just more contrived polling IMO! >:(