PDA

View Full Version : What's the Download

leah_jewel
10-09-2004, 04:50 AM
http://www.whatsthedownload.com/advisory_board/index.aspx

I'm not sure how many people will be eligible for the above site, but I thought I'd pass it along. It's for 18-24 year olds and it's an application to be on their panel of advisers. On said panel, the chosen advisers will meet with industry people, participate in interviews and personal appearences, contribute to WTD's web site and... AND get a ticket to the Grammys. I thought it sounded interesting and thought I'd pass it along.

Cheers.

Moose
10-09-2004, 05:30 AM
ah, Leah, talk about market confusion.
Read an article in the Sunday NY Times Magazine last week about Nonesuch Records. It's the label of Emmylou Harris, Wilco, David Byrne, among others.

While the "industry" chases the 18-30 demographic, Nonesuch has for years been the best performer in the business. They consistently make profit on release after release. Their target is 30-54, they sell primarily at B&N, Borders, amazon. Their market loves music, isn't influenced by trends, prefer artists over performers, and have the huge wads of disposable income.

The point of the article - you have an industry that is suffering because it puts its primary resources chasing the wrong marketplace. Then you have the "niche" labels, Nonesuch, BlueNote, Six Degrees and the like who sign talent, promote properly, and whose sales have excelled while the industry itself has been in a slump.

I download a fair amount of music (off Apple's I-Music store, damn I love my I-Pod), but I buy a lot of CDs as well. And I'm the exact person that Nonesuch knows how to market to. I read the magazines they advertise in, I shop in the stores they target, I visit the websites they suspect I do - in other words, they make money off me because they know exactly how to reach me. Not on MTV, not in Tower Records, not in Maxim - where the industry admits their return rate sucks, but are the few options available to reach their target demo.

Let this panel have their 18-24s...me, I"ll wait for the latest email from Nonesuch or BlueNote, and probably listen to or buy a good deal of what they reccomend.

leah_jewel
10-09-2004, 05:48 AM
I just want a free trip to the Grammys.... ??? ??? ???

Well, there's more to it actually, but I am so hyped up on coffee and Mtn. Dew right now that i can't articulate an intelligent sentence.. despite the fact I can still use words like articulate even in my uncontrollable twitching ways.

gernaserna
10-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Coffee and Mountain Dew...? Oh boy you have grown up. The coffee will make you bounce off the walls, the Mountain Dew will make your teeth rot, and sitting at the Grammys will make you go deaf. I used to like the Grammys when I was your age Leah_Jewel, but just like the majority of most music today it is lacking something. I am grasping here...how about originalty, lyrically deep, and staying power of an artist. Oh yeah and the real kicker...TALENT, TALENT,TALENT. But if you happen to win that trip let us know and have a wonderful time.

leah_jewel
10-09-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm with ya Gerna when it comes to your criticisms about music and the Grammys. But but but but...it's the Grammys! I hate them and love them at the same time.

gernaserna
10-09-2004, 10:50 AM
I hear you Leah_Jewel. It is the Grammys and probably for most of us "common" folk a once in a lifetime thing.

leah_jewel
11-18-2004, 11:08 AM
I just thought I'd let you all know that I got an email today saying that I was chosen for Phase 2 of the process to get on the WTD's Interactive Advisory Board.

I forgot all about it and almost deleted it as spam 'til I saw the word "Congratulations" and then I thought I may wanna read it just in case.

My name's Leah and I'm EXCITED!!!