PDA

View Full Version : Sailing!

meadfish
11-17-2004, 11:32 AM
My wife's parents live in San Francisco, (2 blocks from Pier 39 if you know the area) and her dad volunteers on restoring and sailing an old ship in the bay there. We are going up there this weekend and my son, my nephew and I get to go along! We went a couple years ago and it was work, but fun! The ship is called "The Alma" and it is over 100 years old! here is an actual photo of it on the bay around 1900
www.stenvall.net/fishcam/1900alma.jpg

And here it is today
www.stenvall.net/fishcam/alma_new.jpg

Doll_Face
11-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Have fun Meadfish. I love sailing and the open sea!

Please be careful :-*

Moose
11-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Wow Mead, that causes a huge "envy" spike. Looks like an incredible ship.
Anapolis is about a 90 minute drive from me...get invited down each summer to sail on a friends boat, always a great day on the Chesapeake in a sailboat.

Sebastien447
11-18-2004, 09:17 AM
Very nice ... I'm envious as well you lucky canine!

Maybe, someday, we could have a TAT reunion on a ship like that ...

always envisioned myself as a Captain Ron type ;D

meadfish
11-18-2004, 12:20 PM
If said reunion was to take place in San Francisco I'm sure we could pull some strings to have the event "afloat". (but we won't let Kirkus drive, er.. steer, er... navigate, er... what's the nautical term for drive?)

3mlm
11-18-2004, 01:41 PM
I took a sailing course at UC Irvine a long time ago because my then boyfried was an Eagle Scout in sailing.

We had a lot of fun sailing around Newport Bay every week. Then, towards the end of the quarter, our instructor took us out on the Pacific Ocean in an absolutely beautiful 40 foot sailing yacht that had been donated to UCI. Sometime during that sail he told me to take the rudder. I made some stupid, embarrassing mistakes (since my boyfried had always told me everything to do in our previous outings and I really knew nothing about sailing) and the instructor got mad and said he'd fail me. Apparently he forgot since I got a passing grade.

So don't let me "drive" in our afloat reunion.

meadfish
11-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Back from a great weekend, here are a few pics...

Here is a good shot of the ship a couple weeks ago
www.stenvall.net/fishcam/alma1.jpg

Here is My son and my nephew, you can see Alcatraz in the background
www.stenvall.net/fishcam/almaday5.jpg

Here is me and my son going under the Golden Gate Bridge
www.stenvall.net/fishcam/almaday7.jpg

Doll_Face
11-22-2004, 01:39 AM
Meadfish,

Two of the pics didn't show up. Can you repost them :)

I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend. Glad to see you made it back.

meadfish
11-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Sorry, I had to rename them to post them on another site that won't take them with spaces in the name. I forgot to come back and change it here ::)

Doll_Face
11-23-2004, 11:48 PM
Thanks Fishboy,

Handsome kids :) Looks like you had a blast!

Kirkus
12-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Wow, fishy! You're like a real swabby now... or something.

Personally... I don't fly over the ocean and I don't go in a boat. Just a little quirk.