PDA

View Full Version : TFT: The THRNY Lounge

Jay
07-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Upset that your pick withdrew and ruined your tournament week?
Want to gloat because you're doing well?
Want to get so drunk that you forget how poorly your team is performing?
Or just want to hang out and have a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) or two?

Well, do it here!
This is the THRNY Lounge!

So pull up a stool, grab some chips and salsa, put a quarter in the jukebox, and have a drink with us!
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9550/29587949147b816f0596o.jpg

munchin
07-12-2010, 01:33 PM
This is typically the only fantasy contest I play all the way through each year. I'm excited!

Jay
07-12-2010, 04:19 PM
This is typically the only fantasy contest I play all the way through each year. I'm excited!
Same here x2! :D
(Mostly because it's the only one which I remember to do trades and submit a team for :o :p. Hopefully I'll remember to enter more Fantasy contests in the future)

Kirkus
07-16-2010, 08:03 PM
*makes mental note to win award*

ptmcmahon
07-17-2010, 09:11 PM
A lot of us will have 7 of the 8 seeds this week, so don't expect too much griping about the draw this week.

Martini4me
07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
So pull up a stool, grab some chips and salsa, put a quarter in the jukebox, and have a drink with us!
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/9550/29587949147b816f0596o.jpg

Are you talking to me?

waylandboy-tw
07-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Welcome all to the 2010 Hard Road to NY. Shtexas comes in as the defending champion, and also won this year’s AMITS to claim the last two hard court fantasy contests. He must be considered the favorite in what should be a very tight contest.

In total there are 23 teams, thanks once again to a last second entry of Miles, aka Newman (in TAT chat site circles).

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7026/newman.jpg

He has emerged from his lair once again after what I’m sure took awhile this time around to come up with a different looking team by at least 1 player from the rest. It also appears that his buddy Scotty chose to humorously enter his version of “Back Roads from Hamburg” team instead of a “Hard Road” one choosing for his team to skip Atlanta altogether and play a bit more on the clay.:)

There have been no confirmed reports of the whereabouts of the 2008 champ, and this year’s TSIP runner-up, Beaujarkko:(. We hope all is well and he’ll be back in competition soon.

Here is the breakdown:

A
Roddick- 21
Djokovic- 20
Berdych- 13
Soderling- 7
Murray- 3
Federer, Verdasco, Del Potro, Youzhny, Melzer- 1

B
Isner- 21
Querrey- 21
Hewitt- 17
Gulbis- 3
Kohlschreiber- 2
Monfils, Baghdatis, Lopez, Petzschner, Garcia-Lopez- 1

C
Malisse- 19
Becker- 16
Zeballos- 11
Tipsarevic- 10
De Bakker- 4
Marchenko- 3
Mathieu- 2
Gasquet, Falla, Rochus, Brands- 1

D
Fish- 22
Ginepri- 17
Lacko- 11
Sela- 5
Schuettler- 4
Dent- 3
Gabashvili- 2
Robert, Przysiezny, Anderson, Phau, Daniel- 1

Good luck to all!

Miles
07-19-2010, 01:12 PM
What's with the public name calling of TAT members? Is this not against TAT rules? I do find the above post to be a personal attack.

waylandboy-tw
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
What's with the public name calling of TAT members? Is this not against TAT rules? I do find the above post to be a personal attack.

Really? Sheesh! My apologies then. Just meant for fun like every other time:o

Miles
07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Really? Sheesh! My apologies then. Just meant for fun like every other time:o

As for why I post my team at the last minute, I have told you exactly why I do that yet you continue to misrepresent me. Knock if off.

waylandboy-tw
07-19-2010, 01:27 PM
As for why I post my team at the last minute, I have told you exactly why I do that yet you continue to misrepresent me. Knock if off.

Wow, don't pet the alligator!

I think you're reading too much into this. The contest rules state that every team must be different than the others. Because the teams were so similar this time due to fewer players in the upcoming tournaments that are available to pick from, I'm sure it was tough. I'm not implying anything else.

Miles
07-19-2010, 01:30 PM

I think you're reading too much into this. The contest rules state that every team must be different than the others. Because the teams were so similar this time due to fewer players in the upcoming tournaments that are available to pick from, I'm sure it was tough. I'm not implying anything else.

Actually I had pretty much decided on my team early on and did not have to change it because of someone else's team. But that wouldn't stop you from casting aspersions. Seriously, find another way to humor yourself.

shtexas
07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't think wayland meant anything nefarious was going on. It's smart to wait, with possible injuries, withdrawals, and maybe a qualifier getting into Atlanta.

munchin
07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Thank you, Mr. Becker, for putting up such a fight today. Why do I keep putting this guy on my team? :rolleyes:

dryrunguy
07-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Thank you, Mr. Becker, for putting up such a fight today. Why do I keep putting this guy on my team? :rolleyes:

You really SHOULD give serious thought to checking my team before you post yours...

And then do PRECISELY the opposite. ;)

::

Alternate Post: Benjamin Becker is a total BOOB.

Moose
07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
You really SHOULD give serious thought to checking my team before you post yours...

And then do PRECISELY the opposite. ;)

::

Alternate Post: Benjamin Becker is a total BOOB.

But wait a second.

16 of us picked Becker (btw, thanks Wayland for the summary, greatly appreciated). So how do we know which one of the 16 of us is the person who should be the "pick opposite of who I pick" standard bearer?

On the other hand, you are correct in highlighting his boobalicity.

beaujarkko
07-19-2010, 05:15 PM
There have been no confirmed reports of the whereabouts of the 2008 champ, and this year’s TSIP runner-up, Beaujarkko:(. We hope all is well and he’ll be back in competition soon.

NOOOOOOOOOO! I can't believe I missed this one.

I am fine, thanks, and I am in the process of moving, which accounts for my absence. I'll be back online regularly in about two weeks, when the whirlwind calms down and I get back from the Traverse City Film Festival :)

Jay
07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Martini, always. :cool:. So drink up!

"boobalicity." I like it, Moose. I may end up stealing it someday. :p

I fail for forgetting to enter a team. Such epic failage.

Omegadoom
07-19-2010, 07:58 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! I can't believe I missed this one.

I fail for forgetting to enter a team. Such epic failage.

You two are the smart ones amongst us here at TAT! ;)

ptmcmahon
07-20-2010, 04:09 AM

Even the second and third teams were different than the first by only one player so this is what I read into what you meant...the setup of the first three tournaments definitely led to some similar teams. Look at team one and team two...only differing in the Zeballos/Malisse pick for example! (Great minds...or fools seldom differ?)

Anyways, feel free to continue making fun of me in the summaries if you want...I don't mind :)

ptmcmahon
07-20-2010, 04:19 AM
But wait a second.

16 of us picked Becker (btw, thanks Wayland for the summary, greatly appreciated). So how do we know which one of the 16 of us is the person who should be the "pick opposite of who I pick" standard bearer?

Pick opposite of everyone? Scotty's probably the favorite with the most unique team then.

oploskoffie
07-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Pick opposite of everyone? Scotty's probably the favorite with the most unique team then.

Scotty's team is a thing of beauty and brimming with possibilities. Ah, if only I'd been as brave :o

Scotty
07-20-2010, 08:43 AM

Scotty's team is a thing of beauty and brimming with possibilities. Ah, if only I'd been as brave :o

I'm going for the Mr. Congeniality award in this contest. :cheesy:

You know how, in pageants and such, they have all the contestants on stage, and then eliminate many of them in the first 5 minutes? That's what is going to happen to me. If I'm really brave, I MIGHT see if I can score a Goose Egg for the whole event.

ptmcmahon
07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Gonna be hard to do that with just about every A and B player playing Toronto/Cincy.

waylandboy-tw
07-20-2010, 06:17 PM
While it is VERY early, here are some first round stats!

Garp6 was the only person not to lose a first round player and has 9 remaining players in the field. Well done!:)

Five people have 8 players remaining.
Nine people have 7 players remaining.
Three people have 6 players remaining.
Three people have 5 players remaining.
One person has 4 players remaining.

Two teams lost three players in the first round which was the most casualties so far.

Kirkus
07-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Garp6 was the only person not to lose a first round player and has 9 remaining players in the field.

Well then, Garp6 will obviously have to face some kind of punishment. ;)

Jay
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Well then, Garp6 will obviously have to face some kind of punishment. ;)
Here you go. ;)
http://www.bet.com/Assets/BET/Published/image/jpeg/153e5528-5a35-97e6-af98-c46c1ffa4bb2-News_BB_Paddle.jpg

waylandboy-tw
07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
With R2 in Atlanta in the books, by my humble and non-official calculations, MysterX has emerged as the new early leader being the only one amongst us to get 6 of the 8 quarterfinalists due to his unique pick of the big South African. Congrats! Only a Dent upset of Fish can prevent him from remaining the Hard Road leader at the end of the week.

In total, 11 teams can still get all four semi-finalists with all except MysterX needing Lacko to beat Anderson.

ptmcmahon
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Kevin Anderson...week 1 MVP! I didn't consider him since I don't think he's officially in any other event...but one good week is all you can hope for with your D people anyways!

ptmcmahon
07-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Soderling...first player to withdraw and cause people to waste a trade on an intial pick (or take a 0 until he plays.) Let the cursing begin.

waylandboy-tw
07-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Congrats again to MysterX. He appears to be the big week 1 winner being the only person to have all four semi-finalists. 20 teams got three semi-finalists correct as nearly everyone had Roddick, Isner, and Fish.

How far the big South African can go is the only question left for Hard Road purposes in Atlanta.

Congrats again to MysterX!:)

mysterX
07-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Kevin Anderson...week 1 MVP! I didn't consider him since I don't think he's officially in any other event...but one good week is all you can hope for with your D people anyways!

Sometimes it is good to be short-sighted :cheesy:

Although I did see that Kev did just get a special entry into LA, due to that semifinalist gets into the next tourney thingie.

ptmcmahon
07-23-2010, 09:33 PM
You mean you knew that would happen all along right? :)

ptmcmahon
07-23-2010, 09:38 PM
Soderling...first player to withdraw and cause people to waste a trade on an intial pick (or take a 0 until he plays.) Let the cursing begin.

And everyone with Djokovic (like me) can blame me for pointing that out and causing him to WD for next week...my bad.

munchin
07-24-2010, 01:24 AM
Congrats again to MysterX. He appears to be the big week 1 winner being the only person to have all four semi-finalists. 20 teams got three semi-finalists correct as nearly everyone had Roddick, Isner, and Fish.

How far the big South African can go is the only question left for Hard Road purposes in Atlanta.

Congrats again to MysterX!:)

Mysterx picked all 4 semifinalists?...how rude ;)

patrick
07-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Drop-Shot, Martini and Kirkus has to be pleased with a certain player taking a wildcard.

dryrunguy
07-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Drop-Shot, Martini and Kirkus has to be pleased with a certain player taking a wildcard.

Yeah, that's what you call "sleepin' with the right people".

Who knew Judy Murray was such a good time?

Jay
07-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, that's what you call "sleepin' with the right people".

Who knew Judy Murray was such a good time?
Belslus.

ptmcmahon
07-24-2010, 11:45 AM
20 teams got three semi-finalists correct as nearly everyone had Roddick, Isner, and Fish.

Well, I had these three first...so everyone's welcome for copying me ;) Gotta find something to take solace in right?

waylandboy-tw
07-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Trade summary

Pretty static just like most of the initial teams, so expect the scores to be close this week once again.

Murray +17
Berdych +1
Djokovic -12
Soderling -5
Roddick -1

Baghdatis +3
Querrey +1
Hewitt -2
Isner -2

Good luck all, and enjoy tennis this week. If anyone is in town for the tournament and needs a ride, or directions to the closest Subway restaurant, I might know a guy;)

waylandboy-tw
07-28-2010, 01:05 AM
With the first round in LA now complete, it appears the scores between the leaders and the chase pack are getting even closer. Current leader, MysterX still has his new bff, Kevin Anderson:), who now goes up against Querrey in R2.

Dry has the most players remaining with 7, and is only one of three people with Gulbis. Also, the draw broke well for him as each of the 7 could still reach the quarterfinals.

Four teams have 6 players left (one with a unique pick of Lopez)
Eight teams have 5 players left
Six teams have 4 players left
Three teams have 3 players left (one with a unique pick of Falla)

dryrunguy
07-28-2010, 07:29 AM
Well, it won't last. I have Lopez making the semis, so I think the person with him (I'm assuming it's probably Moose :)) is in a good spot. And I don't think Gulbis has managed to take more than one set from Murray in his career, but I may be wrong about that. I also have Baghdatis making the semis in predictions, not Janko. So I would love to be wrong about that one.

I'm certainly not going to stress about it. These things NEVER go the way I need them to.

Moose
07-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Well, it won't last. I have Lopez making the semis, so I think the person with him (I'm assuming it's probably Moose :)) is in a good spot.

Yes, it's me.

Funny thing is, I only picked him because everyone was picking Hewitt, so I figured I would scope out a Week 2 "B" player instead, take a calculated risk, and save myself a trade.

Of course, the trade I saved I had to waste on switching Nole with Murray.

waylandboy-tw
07-29-2010, 09:49 PM
R2 of LA is complete.

Six people have 4 players remaining. Moose is the only one who can get all four semi-finalists, with Lopez being the key guy.

Six people have 3 players remaining, nine people have 2 players left, and one person has a solo player.

It also is certain now that there will be a shakeup at the top of the scoreboard when scores come out on Sunday.

Enjoy the quarterfinals, and good luck.

lukeorion
07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah that shakeup is going to be plummeting probably. Oh well. I at least was in the top once so that's a big feat in itself since I've been here since 08 and have never been that high.

nelslus
07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Good news= I'm one of the folks with four players left.

The bad news= Two of my picks face each other. And, I'm guaranteed not to have one semifinalist- AND, unless Tipsy takes out Baghdatis......

ptmcmahon
07-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Finally...a chance to do some b*tching about the draw! Of course this will apply to most of us!

For my team:

- Malisse, Lacko, Isner in same 8th
- No one in second quarter
- Querrey, Tipsy, Hewitt in same 8th

Moose
07-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Vamos Feliciano. :)

shtexas
07-30-2010, 08:09 PM
I didn't even realize Tipsy was on my team.

dryrunguy
07-30-2010, 09:19 PM
I didn't even realize Tipsy was on my team.

I constantly have to check.

It's like I have perpetual degenerative brain disease.

waylandboy-tw
07-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Congrats to Moose for getting all four semi-finalists correct.:)

Eight others got 3 of 4 correct.

At the moment, Patrick is the overall leader as things stand tonight, just ahead of Moose by 5 points.

If Murray beats Lopez, Patrick will maintain the 5 point advantage and go into D.C. as the new leader of the Hard Road.

If Lopez beats Murray, but loses the final, Moose will be the new overall leader by 15 points.

If Lopez goes on to win the whole thing, Moose would take a very substantial 40 point lead and the yellow jersey into next week.

Enjoy the semis tomorrow and good luck to all!

waylandboy-tw
08-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Light week for trades as there were 9 total.

Verdasco +6
Berdych +3

Murray -5
Djokovic -3
Soderling -1

Good luck all!

Kirkus
08-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I didn't know we were playing Washington (I went off the links in the How it Works thread instead of the actual Tournaments and Points thread) :wall:

:dizzy: <----Me

And I ain't changing my team again. LOL.

I had to trade 2 non-players from Cat C for 2 cheaper non-players from Cat C so I could afford Rafa.

I'll hope for the best in Washington then kick ass in Canadia.

Miles
08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
And I ain't changing my team again. LOL.

You missed the trade deadline so you haven't changed your team at all. :cheesy:

Kirkus
08-01-2010, 06:50 PM
You missed the trade deadline so you haven't changed your team at all. :cheesy:
Oh for Christ's sake, it was a Sunday start!?

I'm done with contests.

ptmcmahon
08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
From the trades thread so I don't hijack it anymore than I already have :)

And speaking of trades, did anyone nearly trade in Llodra? Because I think he's got a fantastic chance to come out of that section and go fairly deep. But I decided not to go that route because he also could retire in his first match or lose a match he should have won. I thought I was a believer in the new Llodra. But I guess not as much as I thought...

Because I blew a trade on Verdasco, who always, without fail, finds a way to screw me. (Shut up, belslus.)

Good call on not taking Llorda then! Sometimes the best moves are the ones we don't make.

And Verdasco barely got by Berrer - 3rd set TB. Glad I'm not playing with that fire next week (and hope he's not the last second WC into New Haven.)

dryrunguy
08-03-2010, 08:15 PM
From the trades thread so I don't hijack it anymore than I already have :)

Good call on not taking Llorda then! Sometimes the best moves are the ones we don't make.

And Verdasco barely got by Berrer - 3rd set TB. Glad I'm not playing with that fire next week (and hope he's not the last second WC into New Haven.)

Yeah, see the trades thread. :o

Kirkus
08-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Had I got my trades in on time I'd have fewer points. :rolleyes:

ptmcmahon
08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Hewitt well on his way to LVP of the contest. Thank goodness for his bye points at least.

waylandboy-tw
08-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Wow, lots of upsets have left few remaining players going into the quarterfinals in D.C.

For the first time in three weeks of THRTNY, no one will get all four semi-finalist correct as no one has a player in the Simon-Nalbandian showdown. In fact, since no one has Cilic, only the Tipsy pickers have a shot at getting both finalists right. That might be a tall order due to Cilic's 4-0 H2H over Janko.

At the moment, only four teams have 4 of the QFs, and seven of the teams have 3QFs.

17 Berdych vs. 19 Malisse (13 have both)
7 Verdasco vs. 4 Baghdatis (1 has both)

Enjoy the Friday tennis and good luck to all.

nelslus
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Knew from team nelslus that I could count on Tipsarevic, Malisse, Berdych and Verdasco to make the Quarters. :goofyeyes:

waylandboy-tw
08-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Congrats to the 3 people who got two semi-finalists correct. (Baghs and Malisse)

It now does appear that Patrick will maintain his lead for another week!

ptmcmahon
08-08-2010, 09:44 PM
5 of my 6 players (after the Hewitt/isner wds) are in the first 19 lines of the 64 line draw. At least Mallise and Murray are in the second quarter...but will play round 2 (if X wins round 1.) And of course my original plan was to add Rafa - line 1. Still may do so anyways.

ptmcmahon
08-10-2010, 02:31 PM
No MVP for Bagdhatis this week.

ptmcmahon
08-12-2010, 08:31 AM
What's the most anyone has left? I'm just down to my 3 a-guys.

waylandboy-tw
08-12-2010, 04:35 PM

1 person has four left but they are pretty far down in the standings. Most have 2 or 3 left.

ptmcmahon
08-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Whew...was worried 1 or 2 people had somehow found the magical mix of people for the week!

waylandboy-tw
08-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Whew...was worried 1 or 2 people had somehow found the magical mix of people for the week!

Murray- 14
Berdych- 13
Nadal- 10
Djokovic- 8
Federer- 5
PEHK- 1
Chardy-0
Nalbandian- N/A

Berdych vs. Federer will be a huge match on Friday.

patrick
08-12-2010, 06:49 PM

This is the week the A list is supposed to shine as B thru D done the lifting so far.

ptmcmahon
08-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Think I was worried a bunch of people had PEHK and maybe a few had Chardy. Glad to see a combined 1 between those two.

ptmcmahon
08-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Boo! I have 5 people left...but all in 2 quarters. I better get two semifinalists out of this!

Martini4me
08-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Singles - Third Round

[9] A Roddick (USA) d [5] R Soderling (SWE) 64 67(7) 76(5)

M Baghdatis (CYP) d [7] T Berdych (CZE) 75 64

A couple of big Hard Road showdowns didn't break my way last night. I have neither Roddick nor Soderling, but would have preferred Soderling (owned by only two teams) to defeat Roddick (owned by nine).

On the other hand, I have both Baghdatis and Berdych, but would have preferred the big Czech (owned by only four teams) to defeat the fun-loving Cypriot (eight). But I'm happy for Marcos. Keep the good run going! Especially over Nadal (10 teams).

ptmcmahon
08-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Mardy wreaked havoc on my own team (Gasquet, Murray) and is actually my last guy left again! And if you told me dumping Roddick for Nadal would be a bad move 2 weeks ago even though Roddick would W/D in Toronto...

ptmcmahon
08-23-2010, 05:37 PM
If Gonzalez was one line lower in the draw...all my 4 people this week would be in same quarter. :)

One more win by Becker offically clinches Hewitt as the bum of my team - he has already unofficially won.

nelslus
08-23-2010, 10:42 PM
If Gonzalez was one line lower in the draw...all my 4 people this week would be in same quarter. :)

One more win by Becker offically clinches Hewitt as the bum of my team - he has already unofficially won.

Please, my no-trades-left self (BTW, a condition that dry has yet to experience :gorgeous:) has TWO!!!! players in the draw- Mr. Becker and Malisse.

Hell, James7 might actually live his dream and have his team beat my team this week (DAMN, the ways one has to be careful how one words things these days :p.)

shtexas
08-24-2010, 12:52 PM
This Hard Road blew out all my tires.

ptmcmahon
08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
A lot of useless trades this week between my Gonzalez and the Belucci's I saw!

nelslus
08-24-2010, 10:38 PM
This Hard Road blew out all my tires.

Can only assume that this post was meant for Charlie's Random, Random Dating thread. (107 degrees indeed.) :sweetheart:

nelslus
08-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Please, my no-trades-left self (BTW, a condition that dry has yet to experience :gorgeous:) has TWO!!!! players in the draw- Mr. Becker and Malisse.

Hell, James7 might actually live his dream and have his team beat my team this week (DAMN, the ways one has to be careful how one words things these days :p.)

Scotty officially shoulda just posted my team for this week. :o

James7
08-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Did I do it? :cheesy:

Told you that you would lose to my no trade team sooner or later. :p

(I had to check to see who was actually on it just a second ago... I've got deBakker in there)