PDA

View Full Version : Ending Biblical Brainwash

Sebastien447
11-08-2004, 08:55 AM
For better mental and cultural health, it's time we classified religious fundamentalism as a psychological disorder

Imagine that you're a psychiatrist. A new patient comes to see you and says that he regularly talks to an invisible being who never responds, that he reads excerpts from one ancient book and that he believes wholeheartedly that its contents must be accepted implicitly, if not taken literally.

The patient goes on to say that that the world is only 6,000 years old and that dinosaurs never existed. He brazenly rejects modern science's observations and conclusions, and subscribes to the notion that after death he will live in eternal bliss in some alternate dimension. And throughout your meeting, he keeps handing you his book and urging you to join him, lest you end up after death in a far less desirable alternate dimension than him.

Is this a mentally healthy person?

http://www.betterhumans.com/Features/Columns/Transitory_Human/column.aspx?articleID=2002-12-15-2

leah_jewel
11-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Bastien Bastien Bastien....

Do you just lie awake at night and think of ways to stir up trouble? ;D

Sebastien447
11-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Bastien Bastien Bastien....

Do you just lie awake at night and think of ways to stir up trouble? ;D

just tryin to keep the conversation lively ;)

meadfish
11-09-2004, 10:26 AM
Is this a mentally healthy person?

Probably not, but I'd like to meet him! Sounds like my kind of guy... blind faith based on undeniable inner convictions that compel you to believe the illogicial ;) Yep... sounds like someone here on TAT ;D

Sebastien447
11-10-2004, 07:53 AM
Probably not, but I'd like to meet him! Sounds like my kind of guy... blind faith based on undeniable inner convictions that compel you to believe the illogicial Yep... sounds like someone here on TAT

Yup! The name's PJVA, and she believes that Roger will win the Grand Slam! Now there's a conviction of religious proportions! :P

Sebastien447
11-11-2004, 06:02 AM
For one thing Seb, you seem to think that everyone who believes in God is a Fundamentalist. I don't know any Fundamentalists. They are an exreme group and they are not the majority of believers in the country.

Slow down there PJ, I didn't write the Biblical Brainwash article, I only posted it.

The author was some guy named George Dvorsky. So ...

LET'S GET HIM!!!

BK_ZEX0
12-01-2004, 03:21 AM
Hmm the guy sounds like a nut, but then again so do the people running around saying things like we all came from monkeys and frogs. It seems foolish to argue the sanity of those who push thier religion. Most of them have lost the ability to see anyother side but the one they deem true. Thusly all we can do is eat our own heads to reduce the teachings we dont want to hear, that or listen and laugh as is needed.

Sebastien447
12-01-2004, 07:54 AM
Thusly all we can do is eat our own heads

sounds interesting ... could you please explain the method whereby one eats one's own head

???

Kirkus
12-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I think, as a species, it's just something we do. We group ourselves by beliefs then insist we're right and try to convince those on the other side(s) to "see the error of their ways".

I could care less what others believe, unless they try and stifle another's right to voice themselves.

Sebastien447
12-04-2004, 10:44 AM
I could care less what others believe, unless they try and stifle another's right to voice themselves.

agreed ... and when "they" flood you with their beliefs, that can be quite annoying ... Mormons are the worst ... and "born again Christians" good grief!

Sure, have your beliefs, that's nice ... but why the need to shove your religion into the face of other people like that?

leah_jewel
12-04-2004, 01:50 PM
agreed ... and when "they" flood you with their beliefs, that can be quite annoying ... Mormons are the worst ... and "born again Christians" good grief!

Sure, have your beliefs, that's nice ... but why the need to shove your religion into the face of other people like that?

I find myself slightly offended by that comment.. about the "born again Christians." I myself am one and don't push my beliefs on anyone. Now if someone questions an action of mine that was made because of my beliefs, I will tell them. And if someone asks me about my beliefs, I will tell them. But I do not push them on anyone.

At the same time, though, I do know quite a few of those types and they annoy even me. There's always going to be the overzealous types in any religion. I think the important thing is.. if one is curious about a religion.. they should try to root out the loving, giving, kind types.. and not the fire and brimstone types.

That's all.

Sebastien447
12-05-2004, 01:18 AM
yeah, it depends on our own specific personal experiences ... and I lived in Southern Idaho for a while and Mormons make up a higher percentage of the population there than even Salt Lake City.

and you're right, there's overzealous types in any religion ... I guess they just feel so strongly about their faith that they feel the need to try to save all those lost souls who haven't "seen the light."

no offense intended to anyone