PDA

View Full Version : Merriam Websters Top 10 Words - 2004

Moose
10-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Voted on by website visitors, here are the Top 10 words of 2004.
1) how many do you know (I knew 5 off the top of my head).
2) Let's see if we can work all of them into posts this week. Best use of any, or best post containing multiple words on the list, wins.

2004 Top Ten Favorite Words

defenestration
serendipity
onomatopoeia
discombobulate
plethora
callipygian
juxtapose
persnickety
kerfuffle
flibbertigibbet

Sebastien447
10-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Voted on by website visitors, here are the Top 10 words of 2004.
1) how many do you know (I knew 5 off the top of my head).
2) Let's see if we can work all of them into posts this week. Best use of any, or best post containing multiple words on the list, wins.

2004 Top Ten Favorite Words

defenestration
serendipity
onomatopoeia
discombobulate
plethora
callipygian
juxtapose
persnickety
kerfuffle
flibbertigibbet

Very nice!

I'll juxtapose a plethora of those words in a discombobulated sentence which shouldn't cause you to get too persnickety.

Awwwwwww don't get worked into a kerfuffle, you didn't say that we had to defenstrate the words correctly!

(I have no idea what the words "kerfuffle" OR "defenstration" mean, but they seemed to fit)

3mlm
10-18-2004, 01:51 AM
Very nice!

I'll juxtapose a plethora of those words in a discombobulated sentence which shouldn't cause you to get too persnickety.

Awwwwwww don't get worked into a kerfuffle, you didn't say that we had to defenstrate the words correctly!

(I have no idea what the words "kerfuffle" OR "defenstration" mean, but they seemed to fit)

You callipygean flibbertigibbet! Couldn't find a serendipitous use for onomatopoeia in your post?

I'm not sure you want to know what "callipygean" means.

By the way, "kerfuffle" wasn't in the my online dictionary (American Heritage). Maybe that's because it's "chiefly British" according to Mirriam Webster.

Moose
11-30-2004, 10:03 PM
And here, are the Top 10 searched words of 2004, again according to Merriam-Webster:

TOP 10 WORDS OF 2004
The top 10 words of the year based on searches of Merriam-Webster Web sites.

1. blog
2. incumbent
3. electoral
4. insurgent
5. hurricane
6. cicada
7. peloton
8. partisan
9. sovereignty
10. defenestration

How is it that defenestration (which means "the throwing of a person or thing out a window") makes all these lists?

Most of these words reflect on the fact that it was an election year...though we all know why hurricane made it. Cicada is mostl ikely due to the 17-year cicada's visit, and peloton has to be credited to Lance.

Sebastien447
12-01-2004, 08:18 AM
How is it that defenestration (which means "the throwing of a person or thing out a window") makes all these lists?

It's the witty comeback word of the year moose!

"You'd be better off with a little self-defenestration!" or how bout
"Yo mama must have been a defenestration expert"
or the ever popular, though crude, "Go defenestrate yourself!"

geez whatchu guys livin under some rock ... get with it

Sebastien447
12-10-2004, 09:21 PM
Top Politically Correct Word List of 2004 according to
http://www.languagemonitor.com/images/Heading_9MZR.gif
http://www.languagemonitor.com/images/gag.jpg

1) Device for master and captured device for slave in computer networking terminology
2) Non-same sex marriage, for marriage used in Democratic Presidential Primaries
3) Waitron for waiter or waitress
4) Red Sox Lover for Yankee Hater during the ALCS playoffs
5) Higher Power for God
6) Progressive for classical liberal
7) Incurious rather than more impolite invectives for President Bush (such as idiot or moron)
8] Insurgents substituting for terrorists in Iraq
9) Baristas rather than waitrons
10) First year student rather than Freshman, though Frosh is still acceptable

http://www.languagemonitor.com/