PDA

View Full Version : "Brushes With Fame"

Moose
10-31-2004, 08:17 AM
Everyone has a few. Talk about your moments in the spotlight, your encounters with celebrities, what famous star got drunk and picked you up one night in a bar,...

I have a bunch, but I'll start the discussion with this one:

I was on "Wheel Of Fortune". In 1988, when you still bought prizes, instead of everything being cash. I won $3500.00 worth of stuff, but I wasn't the big winner for the day.

3mlm
10-31-2004, 11:05 AM
My brushes with fame are pretty pathetic.

Tim Rooney, son of Mickey by his second wife, was in my geometry class in high school. Nice kid but I didn't know him well.

My husband's grandmother was Armand Hammer's cousin. She thought he was terrible and claimed his father, Julius, made his fortune by performing illegal abortions, a contention that others have also made.

Others contend the abortion that Julius was sent to Sing Sing for performing (the lady died) was actually performed by Armand.

Of course, Julius' real crimes were being a founder of the US Communist Party and a pal and benefactor of Lenin.

Armand, too, was a pal and benefactor of Lenin and the whole series of USSR leaders. But also a pal and benefactor of US, UK and Israeli leaders (Menachin Begin nominated Armand for the Nobel peace prize).

Since Armand's death in 1990 (a year before Grandma Sophie who was the same age as him and on welfare many years before her death) several books and articles have tarnished his legacy, accusing him of being a Soviet agent, Soviet money launderer, crook, womanizer, the cause enabling OPEC to charge high oil prices and a bad businessman whose estate was worth nothing when he died.

Not just a brush with fame but a brush with evil and corrupt power.

meadfish
10-31-2004, 11:16 AM
I am still waiting for my big break!! but some small brushes...

My mom sold a painting to writer Alan Dean Foster (Alien, Clash of the Titans, Into the Out Of) and I got to go to his house in the '80's. They are still friends and years later I got to play basketball with him.

I was in the audience of "The Price is Right" in 1983, saw my self on TV.

I was working at Kmart and Steve Perry (singer from Journey) came in looking for floormats for his new 1987 Corvette convertible... I handed him the phone book and said look under "Automotive Supplies". He handed it back and said "I never could read too well" :P

Most recently we visited New York and were in the audience of "Good Morning America". Saw ourselves on TV, and while taking a photo I inadvertently brushed Diane Sawyers right breast :-[

Moose
11-06-2004, 02:41 AM
2 more of mine:

1) I am related to Larry of the Three Stooges through marriage. My mom's aunt, Mabel Haney, was married to Larry.

2) Growing up (til the age of 6), one of my friends was Danny Bonaduce. His mom, Betty, and my mom were good friends, and they were over at my parents or we were over their house a lot. They lived in an old schoolhouse - and had a stage in their house.

Feech
11-06-2004, 06:44 AM
Me and Frank were pretty tight. He needed our "services" from time to time

Doll_Face
11-06-2004, 07:08 AM
I ate dinner and danced with Lawrence Taylor of The NY Football Giants ... Lord have mercy ... he did a move on me ::) lol. I partied with him twice after that. He loved The Doll ;)

I've met a lot of interesting people living in the NY/NJ metropolitan area. Here's one encounter: I was at IHOP one day and dropped a quarter. This little girl ran and picked it up. Her mother told her to give it back. It was Raven Simone of The Cosby Show. She must of been about four years old. Cute little kid.

Sebastien447
11-06-2004, 08:04 AM
I partied with him twice after that

OK Dolly, you know me well enough to understand that I am not trying to be some a-hole jerk, but I just gotta ask ...

when you say that you "partied" with LT, are you saying that ...

you partied with LT, or that you ...

:o :o ::) ::) :o :o ::) ::) PARTIED
::) ::) :o :o ::) ::) :o :o

with LT?

Doll_Face
11-06-2004, 08:11 AM
LOL!!

Partied as in dancing at his club. :P

Eddie Murphy was there one night. Short little guy - he came up to my shoulder - lol.

gernaserna
11-07-2004, 10:06 PM
I have had 2 brushes of fame in my life. When I was younger we had a family business that dealt with comic books and baseball cards. When Mark Hamill blew into town to film a movie in the area, rumor had it that he was an avid comic book collector. Well lo and behold he came into our store. He had dark sunglasses on but my mom whispered that the facial features looked like his. He then took the glasses off and it was. He was very friendly and he even autographed a first edition Star Wars comic book, which we still have.
My second encounter was with a much bigger star. I worked in a western retail clothing store in Las Vegas, NV. I was on my lunch break and was stuffing my food down when the store manager came in and said they needed me back on the floor. It was National Rodeo Finals time and very busy and I said sure. When I came out to the floor I was face to face with Garth Brooks. Needless to say I forgot about lunch. It was very exciting as we were going too see him in concert that night. The best part about it was that we had extra tickets and my dear friend Kirkus, came to town and got to see him also. One of the best memories of my time in Las Vegas.

P.S. He wore a size 38 waist pants. size 18" neck and wore a size 11 boot, now tuck that info away for a rainy day...or Jeapordy!!!

Doll_Face
11-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Garth is a big guy!

Okay, here's another one:

I was at the funeral of this guy named Joe Black. He was a pitcher for the Dodgers back in the sixties. Well, I happened to look up and noticed this gray-haired fellow and it was Sandy Kofax - without a disguise. He was really shy but pleasant. Later he sent us an autographed picture.

leah_jewel
11-08-2004, 05:14 AM
I have one, but you gotta know country music of the 90's to know who the guy is.

I went to see Bryan White in concert a few years ago and he was doing a Meet and Greet thing afterwards. At the time of this concert, I was completely enamored with this man... despite the fact he had recently gotten married. All I had for him to sign was a dollar bill so I got up there and said, "This is all I have" and he laughed and signed it for me. Then I asked for a hug. SWOON! He's kinda short though.

Sebastien447
11-08-2004, 06:13 AM
Everyone has a few

Actually, I've got nothin :'(

It's OK though, I don't like famous people :P

except, of course, for the Snow Miser. He's my hero! :D

Sebastien447
11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Sebs, yeah you do!
You said the guys that made South Park went to the high school you teach at thats kind of a brush w/fame.....

that's kind of reachin, but I guess it could be a slight brush with the slightly famous ... I've never met em

meadfish
11-09-2004, 11:10 AM
When Mark Hamill blew into town to film a movie in the area, rumor had it that he was an avid comic book collector. Well lo and behold he came into our store. He had dark sunglasses on but my mom whispered that the facial features looked like his. He then took the glasses off and it was. He was very friendly and he even autographed a first edition Star Wars comic book, which we still have.

gernaserna... My wife met Mark Hamill in Arroyo Grande (California) while he was filming some B movie there. She went up and talked to him and he put is arms around her and posed for a picture. (we weren't married yet or I woulda.... :P)
Anyway I just asked her what was the movie and she said "I dunno, it never made it to the theaters". I did a quick check of his films in that time and found "Midnight Ride" about a psycho in a small California town. I asked my wife and she said "That's It!" Some info on it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6303484336/102-5025294-5101708?v=glance

Moose
11-11-2004, 12:03 AM
The movie "The Blob" was filmed in my home town (Phoenixville, PA). The scene where they come running out of the movie theater - that theater is still open. Now we've become sort of an "artsy fartsy" type town, and they show all foreign films there. And we have concerts there too...saw The Commitments play there a couple of weeks back.

Every year we have "Blob Fest" Weekend...real retro, real cool.

Sebastien447
11-11-2004, 01:33 AM
Actually, I've been thinking about this South Park brush with fame thing, and I do have a good one.

I know the real Mr. Garrison. I'm not going to give his name but he is a terrific guy and the South Park show depicts the spitting image of the guy ... very well done on the voice too. He's retired from full-time teaching now, and only subs at my school from time to time.

3mlm
11-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Just thought of another "brush with fame."

My boss for six years was married to a close relative (I think his sister) of Andy Grove, CEO and chairman of the board of Intel.

A very frugal guy, most of the cars his family had were hand-me-downs from Andy Grove and they frequently had holiday get-togethers with him. When on holiday in Europe, they stayed at Grove's chateaus.

Once again, just a slight brush with fame.