PDA

View Full Version : Lost Souls

Sebastien447
12-10-2004, 08:41 AM
It has been a particularly tough year for my school, just topped off by a student suicide. The kid hung himself. It's just too sad for words.

I wonder what happens to such a lost soul after death.

I always liked that film with Robin Williams about the afterlife. I can't remember the name of the movie, but I think it might be something like that.

Sebastien447
12-10-2004, 10:19 AM
I've told my students this on a number of occasions:

No matter how bad things get, it's never as bad as it seems to be. Just make it through the bad day because good days will follow.

I think I'm going to stop saying that because that kid who hung himself didn't have very many good days, from what I've heard.

Sometimes it is as bad as it seems.

meadfish
12-12-2004, 12:09 PM
I think the movie is "What dreams may come"? I have never seen it.

As for suicide... I agree that is the saddest tragedy there is. I heard of a young man who was playing an onlie video game and got killed in the game and was so distraught he took his own life. :'(

I can't imagine such a bad life that I would want it to end.

I didn't post about it, but on Monday I was almost hit by a fire truck that was going through a red light without checking. I had a green light and could not see it because the intersection is obstructed. It missed me by about a foot. If I had been one second later into that intersection I am dead or seriously hurt. All day I pondered my life.. and was glad to still have it.

Sebastien447
12-13-2004, 07:53 AM
What Dreams May Come, thanks Fish that was it.

It's hard to believe that video game player had such a distorted sense of reality. And equally difficult to believe that someone's daily life could be so bad that they would choose to end their existance. Sometimes a chemical imbalance is to blame, but those conditions can usually be regulated with medication.

The Dreams movie struck me as profound in it's depiction of life after death for a person who chooses to end their life ... wallowing in a pit of self-pity, unable to understand where they are or what they gave up.

I highly recommend the movie, very well done.

All day I pondered my life.. and was glad to still have it.

I'm glad too Fishy! :)

Doll_Face
12-13-2004, 10:30 PM
This is a very sad topic. I believe suicide is the only thing God doesn't forgive. To be that hopeless :'( Let me stop before I really start crying.

Sebe, I'm sorry for the loss of your student. Is the school providing counseling for the other students? It has a great impact on them as well. How sad!

Meadfish, I'm glad you're okay :) What would TAT do without our Fishboy ???

Sebastien447
12-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Sebe, I'm sorry for the loss of your student. Is the school providing counseling for the other students? It has a great impact on them as well. How sad!

Yes, the counselors are very well trained and teachers have specific instructions about how to handle the students. The kids are just in shock ... adults too ... nobody understands it.

Suicide angers a part of me. The "victims" are those left behind.