PDA

View Full Version : Phantom of the Opera

shtexas
12-22-2004, 03:49 AM
Saw a special screening Monday night. The music, which I already knew, was good. You walk away humming. The lead actress, Emmy Rossum, was very good. The movie, as a whole, was not. It lacked passion, intensity, etc. It was quite simply - flat. On a four-star scale, I am sorry to say I give it:

**1/2

Moose
12-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Hey shtexas:

I saw Phantom in New York in 1988, with Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman, who orginated the roles in London. Completely blew me away.

I've been a huge fan of Brightman (and to a lesser extent Crawford) ever since. Both have incredible voices. Brightman's concerts are always extravaganzas...some might say a bit over-produced, but it suits her well. The tour for "Harem", her most recent album blew your mind.

I"m sure there was what they thought a good reason to go with the casting that they did for the movie, but I can't imagine anyone playing the parts as well as Crawford and Brightman did.

shtexas
12-22-2004, 04:35 AM
I think they wanted to go younger. Emmy Rossum is no Sarah Brightman, but she has a sweet voice. The problem was that while the movie looked great, it didn't "feel" great.

shtexas
12-22-2004, 12:04 PM
The film has things to offer, a close call whether it should be a thumbs-up or down (** 1/2 being a sort of middle point for me). The music, the sets, Emmy Rossum. The problem may have been the two male leads. No passion, nothing ominous or romantic about the Phantom.

I guess I just hoped for more. After Chicago and Moulin Rouge (and with Rent filming), I guess I expected greatness.

Moose
12-22-2004, 09:43 PM
After Chicago and Moulin Rouge (and with Rent filming), I guess I expected greatness.

Chicago - decent, and some good performances, but I never understood the hype and awards.

Moulin on the other hand was absolutely brilliant. That film exploded on the screen. The music, the dancing, the sets, the color all came together perfectly. Defnitely Baz's greatest achievement so far. At the same time, my best friend thought it was bloated, pretentious and a waste of money.

shtexas
12-23-2004, 05:03 AM
A co-worker and I had a similar discussion a few weeks ago and we both agreed Moulin Rouge was the better film. It was very original. Chicago was a bit more of what you would expect from a musical. But, there are a lot of people out there that have told me Moulin Rouge and its furious editing gave them a headache. To each their own.