PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Men's RG SP Picks & Results Thread

shtexas
05-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Congratulations to the 24 (out of 315) people who have earned their spot in the updated picks & results thread!
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Blomgren: Garcia-Lopez - O. Rochus - Melzer - Isner - Hanescu - Wawrinka – Almagro - Murray

Borenore2: Roger-Vasselin - Bellucci - Hewitt - Montanes - Hanescu - Cilic – Almagro - Soderling - Melzer - Berdych - Djokovic

Bricks23: Montanes -L. Mayer -Melzer -Wawrinka -Kohlschreiber - Youzhny – Almagro - Soderling - Verdasco

Catz33: De Bakker - Ljubicic - Starace - Youzhny - Hanescu - Wawrinka – Bellucci - Soderling - Almagro - Berdych - Melzer - Nadal

Cneblett: Tsonga - Isner - Melzer - Berdych - Hewitt - Wawrinka – Almagro - Soderling - Verdasco

Danielle: De Bakker - Granollers - Starace - Montanes - Melzer - Wawrinka – Almagro - Youzhny - Verdasco

Equipped: Chiudinelli -Gimeno-Traver -Seppi -Troicki -Roddick - Wawrinka – Almagro - Youzhny - Melzer - Berdych - Djokovic

Improbabledream: Chela -Wawrinka -Roddick -Baghdatis -Kohlschreiber -Cilic – Almagro - Soderling - Melzer - Berdych - Djokovic

Jackie: Garcia-Lopez - Baghdatis - Melzer - Montanes - Hanescu - Wawrinka – Almagro - Soderling - Gabashvili

Jazzyg: Montanes - Schukin - Zeballos - Berdych - Melzer - Tsonga – Bellucci - Soderling - Verdasco

Jesswrig: Garcia-Lopez - Isner - Kohlschreiber - Wawrinka - Melzer - Cilic – Almagro - np

Kiki24: Lacko - Granollers - Zeballos - Montanes - Melzer - Wawrinka – Almagro - Soderling - Verdasco

Kmart93: Chela - Baghdatis - Serra - Montanes - Hewitt - Wawrinka – Almagro - Soderling - Melzer - Berdych - Djokovic

Korjik: Chela - Wawrinka - Ferrero - Youzhny - Hanescu - Cilic – Almagro - Murray

MarieJ: Montanes - Isner - Zeballos - Troicki - Hewitt - Wawrinka – Bellucci - Soderling - Melzer - Berdych - Djokovic

MarkB24: Tsonga - Baghdatis - Kohlschreiber - Wawrinka - Melzer - Cilic – Almagro - Youzhny - Verdasco

Martini4me: Youzhny - Baghdatis - Zeballos - Troicki - Melzer - Cilic – Almagro - Soderling - Verdasco

Oohsalmon: Roger-Vasselin - A. Beck - Melzer - Troicki - Ferrero - Cilic – Almagro - Youzhny - Verdasco

Shrubflower: Chela - Baghdatis - Starace - Montanes - Hanescu - Wawrinka – Almagro - Cilic

Spencer: Montanes - L. Mayer - Serra - Troicki - Hanescu - Wawrinka – Almagro - Berdych - Melzer - Youzhny

TennisAnyone: Montanes-O. Rochus-Starace-Wawrinka-Kohlschreiber-Youzhny – Almagro - Tsonga

Tennisbrp: Chela - Wawrinka - Zeballos - Montanes - Melzer - Tsonga – Almagro - Youzhny - Verdasco

TiriS: Tsonga - Ljubicic - Kohlschreiber - Troicki - Hanescu - Wawrinka – Almagro - Soderling - Melzer - Youzhny

Zephblabs: Garcia-Lopez - Wawrinka - Hewitt - Montanes - Bellucci - Cilic -– Almagro - Tsonga

shtexas
05-29-2010, 11:15 PM
With 4 picks outstanding, the day 8 breakdown:

10 Soderling
5 Youzhny
2 Murray
2 Tsonga
1 Berdych

nguyen
05-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Argh. I was so close to making the updated thread. I dared to dream....curses JCF.

kiki24
05-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Wow, this is pretty cool! Hope I didn't speak too soon .... :)

shtexas
05-30-2010, 08:26 AM
Day 8, we had 1 no-pick:

12 Soderling
5 Youzhny
2 Murray
2 Tsonga
1 Berdych
1 Cilic

23 to start

shtexas
05-30-2010, 08:49 AM
19 is the largest number with which we can conclude the day as we have people on both sides of matches.

doubledogbrewer
05-30-2010, 10:19 AM
you know, it's really too bad that Nadal's draw usually doesn't include anyone that can give him any trouble (Soderling, Cilic, Querrey, etc). He plays other great players, but not the kind that can handle his supertopspin. Makes saving him at RG easier, of course :) but somewhat diminishes his victories in my mind. I'm sure everyone else will disagree with me; thoughts?

shtexas
05-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Those with Soderling advance. 1 with Cilic gone.

doubledogbrewer
05-30-2010, 10:30 AM
do I see right that Tsonga just retired? That rots for those who picked him (and for the French nation ...)

shtexas
05-30-2010, 10:31 AM
do I see right that Tsonga just retired? That rots for those who picked him (and for the French nation ...)

Yes. Took me by surprise. Too bad.

TennisAnyone74
05-30-2010, 10:36 AM
Well, at least I made an updated thread! :)

Thanks alot Tsonga! :mad: I REALLY want to win one of these SP medals - oh well, on to Wimbledon.

TA

shrubflower
05-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Learned an important lesson today, and one that all SPers should learn at some point. Do not make your pick at 3 a.m. upon returning home from the bar.

morct
05-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Learned an important lesson today, and one that all SPers should learn at some point. Do not make your pick at 3 a.m. upon returning home from the bar.

I did my predictions in a similar state last night so should be an interesting week! :D

shtexas
05-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Day 8, we started with 23:

12 Soderling
5 Youzhny
2 Murray
2 Tsonga
1 Berdych
1 Cilic

18 to end the day

TiriS
05-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Did Murray pull out?

marieJ
05-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Did Murray pull out?

murray lost fair and sqaure to berdych

oohsalmon
05-30-2010, 03:48 PM
murray lost fair and sqaure to berdych

And it was amaaaaaaaazing :sweetheart:

TiriS
05-30-2010, 03:54 PM
I missed the rest of the match! I thought it was going to be postponed 'til tomorrow!

mmmm8
05-30-2010, 03:57 PM
I missed the rest of the match! I thought it was going to be postponed 'til tomorrow!

So did Andy

TiriS
05-30-2010, 04:01 PM
LOL!

shtexas
05-30-2010, 10:34 PM
With 17 of the 18 picks in, and if no one changes their mind:

9 Verdasco
6 Melzer
1 Almagro
1 Gabashvili

shtexas
05-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Final Day 9 breakdown:

9 Verdasco
7 Melzer
1 Almagro
1 Gabashvili

kmart93
05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
The Verdasco's are done.

shtexas
05-31-2010, 10:43 AM
9 Verdasco
7 Melzer
1 Almagro
1 Gabashvili

End of day 9 and we have only 8 people left. :shocked:

Martini4me
05-31-2010, 10:47 AM
I can't believe I (and 8 others) got taken out by Count Chocula. Since I became aware of him a couple of years ago, I think he's generally under-preformed my expectations in predictions. Now he comes up big here at the wrong time. And after getting through the difficult first round matches here, I had myself set up for a pretty clear road right through the finals (although yesterday's results meant I was going to have to pick Berdych over Youzhny tomorrow).

Congratulations to the final eight.

kiki24
05-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for losing a winnable match Hot Sauce -- took out half of us. Major choke! But all credit to the Almagro and Melzer pickers!

It was fun playing while it lasted. My 1st RG SP is in the books! Hvala svima!

Romana

kmart93
05-31-2010, 11:15 AM
I had fully planned on taking Verdasco today. Then he went 5 sets w/ Kohlschreiber (spelling?) and that scared me off.

I'm kind of upset that Murray lost yesterday, because Berdych/Youzhny is a toss-up imo.

mmmm8
05-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for losing a winnable match Hot Sauce -- took out half of us. Major choke! But all credit to the Almagro and Melzer pickers!

It was fun playing while it lasted. My 1st RG SP is in the books! Hvala svima!

Romana

Congrats on losing your... suicide virginity?

Are you Serbian (or Croatian)? I'm learning the language :)

shtexas
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
Everyone still alive can beat the draw. In fact, 7 of the 8 have at least 5 players they have not chosen yet. One person has 6. Good job!

jazzyg
05-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I don't even care that I lost with Verdasco because I stupidly already wasted Berdych.

The people who think Youzhny can beat Berdych are paying too much attention to history and too little attention to the reality of Berdych's awesomeness at this tournament.

ptmcmahon
05-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Did Murray pull out?

For the sake of humanity, let's hope so.

Oh you meant in the match... :o

marieJ
05-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Everyone still alive can beat the draw. In fact, 7 of the 8 have at least 5 players they have not chosen yet. One person has 6. Good job!

i'm the one with 6 picks left yeahhhhhhhh !
it's my best suicide pool ever ! i'm still in the womens draw ! is there another person on course on both pools ?
do i get a special award eventually ?

suliso
05-31-2010, 05:21 PM
I give about 80% chance of beating the draw for those who guess right between Berdych and Youzhny...

kmart93
05-31-2010, 05:50 PM
I give about 80% chance of beating the draw for those who guess right between Berdych and Youzhny...

It's pretty straight forward after that.

ptmcmahon
05-31-2010, 05:57 PM
That's giving Djokovic a little too much credit ... wouldn't surprise me to see him upset.

oohsalmon
05-31-2010, 06:17 PM
:(

Damn Ferrer.

nguyen
05-31-2010, 07:06 PM

Can't say I'm jealous of the people left in the SP....I would hate making this choice.

TiriS
05-31-2010, 08:00 PM
For the sake of humanity, let's hope so.

Oh you meant in the match... :o

LOL! As soon as I reread what I posted, I wished I had phrased it differently. :cool:

it's my best suicide pool ever ! i'm still in the womens draw ! is there another person on course on both pools ?

I'm on both sides, too! My best pool ever on the women's side; however, the best I can do is to make it through the semis. I won't have a pick for the final. I can still beat the draw on the men's side if Youzhny wins...

The people who think Youzhny can beat Berdych are paying too much attention to history and too little attention to the reality of Berdych's awesomeness at this tournament.

I picked Youzhny to make it to the semis before the tournament started. I already screwed up by not going with my first pick (picked Schiavone over Petrova on the women's side). Might as well stay with my first choice.

shtexas
05-31-2010, 11:11 PM
With 7 of the 8 picks in for day 10 (and barring any changes-of-heart):

5 Berdych
2 Youzhny

nguyen
06-01-2010, 01:40 AM
My hypothetical pick would be Berdych too...but that means squat right about now. :D

marieJ
06-01-2010, 03:55 AM
[QUOTE=TiriS;569110]LOL! As soon as I reread what I posted, I wished I had phrased it differently. :cool:

I'm on both sides, too! My best pool ever on the women's side; however, the best I can do is to make it through the semis. I won't have a pick for the final. I can still beat the draw on the men's side if Youzhny wins...

it's the same for me with the womens, with henin loss, and my serena pick, i have only one pick for the semis, and none for the final :(
maybe i wanted justine to win and i did not make an objective pick, it was the heart pick wanting henin to beat stosur...
for once, my charm luck of attending the match live did not work !

Martini4me
06-01-2010, 04:41 AM
Let me just put on record what my picks the rest of the way would have been. From reading the posts on the previous page, it looks like most of the surviving players will be able to do something similar.

Day 10: Berdych (was supposed to be Murray, but ...)
Day 11: Djokovic
Day 12/13: Federer
Day 15: Nadal

shtexas
06-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Start of day 10:

6 Berdych
2 Youzhny

ptmcmahon
06-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Equipped and Spencer are the only ones who haven't used Soderling - if he pulls the upset (he's up two sets to one) only they can beat the draw.

Equpped looking better now with Berdych as today's pick - Spencer has Youzhny (down two sets to none)

omess
06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
so, Equiped is about to win the pool

shtexas addition: NO!

ptmcmahon
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
No I just said beat the draw...doesn't mean this is over. If they go for the beat the draw path they might take Sod in the semis while everyone else uses Rafa as their last pick - if Soderling loses, then the Rafa pickers would win, but just have no final pick.

Not ready to count Roger out yet today either...

kmart93
06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
No I just said beat the draw...doesn't mean this is over. If they go for the beat the draw path they might take Sod in the semis while everyone else uses Rafa as their last pick - if Soderling loses, then the Rafa pickers would win, but just have no final pick.

Not ready to count Roger out yet today either...

I've never rooted so hard for Fed in my life. Figures the one time I want him to win is the time he struggles.

Though the way Berdych is playing I would be surprised to see him make it to the Finals.

shtexas
06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
No I just said beat the draw...doesn't mean this is over.

Thank you for clarifying. I don't want anyone to stop picking because they think it is over. Unless Youzhny has a miracle in him, 6 people will still be alive for tomorrrow.

shtexas
06-01-2010, 11:51 AM
6 remain!

The Soderling win changes things, but keep picking!

ptmcmahon
06-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Everyone has Rafa & Djokovic...interesting to see if anyone takes Rafa next...otherwise the Soderling pick will be the big one!

mmmm8
06-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Everyone has Rafa & Djokovic...interesting to see if anyone takes Rafa next...otherwise the Soderling pick will be the big one!

Unless Melzer wins.

ptmcmahon
06-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Or Almagro too I guess :)

Moose
06-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Or Almagro too I guess :)

Who, incidentally, is one of only two players to take a set of Rafa on clay this season.

ptmcmahon
06-01-2010, 12:02 PM
You're going to go make me look and see who has Almagro left now aren't you?

shtexas
06-01-2010, 12:04 PM
You're going to go make me look and see who has Almagro left now aren't you?

MarieJ

ptmcmahon
06-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...I present to you ... the jinxer!

oohsalmon
06-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Ugh, I had allowed for this, too. Damn Verdasco.

tennisbrp
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Ugh, I had allowed for this, too. Damn Verdasco.

I did also....saved Soderling and Fed and then I got Verdasco'd

improbabledream
06-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Well I dont think I can actually win this thing any more but I will still make the next couple picks i suppose. I dont understand how some of you guys have won so many of these pools... quite difficult. I guess it might be even more difficult in the future when the men's game is a little less predictable, this tournament gives us a window into that and a chance to truly see how incredible Fed's 22 straight semi's of a grand slam run is, I just hope that he gets off the mat, remains at a championship level of play for many more years, and allows this amazingly great thing called the Roger Rafa rivalry to have a few more good years. Hoping Rafa's knees hold up too. Might also help me finally win a SP like maybe the one for Wimbledon in a couple weeks. Thanks to all the moderators for putting on this fun little contest that makes following the sport we love even more fun.

MarkB24
06-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Thanks for running this to the moderators from me too - I've been playing for years, this is the furthest I've got for a long time and definitely the most fun pool I've done! See you all for Wimbledon :)

shtexas
06-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Day 11 breakdown:

5 Djokovic
1 Melzer

Either five move on to the semis or we have a winner.

omess
06-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Go Melzer !!!!!!

shtexas
06-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Not to jump the gun, but:

1. Should Djokovic and Rafa win, we have 5 people left in the pool.

4 of those people will only have Nadal left for the semis, and 1 will have Nadal and Soderling (and that 1 can beat the draw).

2. Should Djokovic and Almagro win, we will have 2 people left in the pool (because 3 people would have no picks left). Of the 2 left, one would have only Soderling, the other only Almagro.

3. If Melzer makes a comeback, we have a winner, no matter the outcome of the other match. If Rafa wins the other match, that person will have him left for the semis, and if Almagro wins the other match, that person is out of picks.

ptmcmahon
06-02-2010, 10:13 AM
No offense to the other 5...but I'm cheering for Melzer - gotta give props to those with the ballsy picks :)

kiki24
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
And it looks like that ballsy pick paid off very nicely! Congrats Catz!