PDA

View Full Version : The stingy USA

Kirkus
12-29-2004, 10:29 AM
I am so pissed off right now over the opinion of others that the United States has been stingy in it's financial response to the tsunami tragedy. Many countries immediately came forward with financial aid. Cambodia, arguably among the poorest of nations, gave $40,000 -- probably a fortune to that country. Australia immediately gave $4 milliion and has committed to another $25 million. The list goes on.

Transport planes from countries the planet over are sending hundreds of tons of food, water, medical supplies, tents, blankets, etc. Medical professionals are leaving their homes and families to travel to the affected areas.

The out-pouring of humanity on this planet has absolutely revived my belief that when it comes down to it, as humans, we care! I just can't imagine how pitiful someone's life has to be to make negative remarks about any nation or any person being "stingy".

Sebastien447
12-29-2004, 11:07 AM
yeah, the "stingy comment" ... what a boob

The comment is ridiculous. The US is almost always the first to offer aid to any area of the world in need.

Why don't we take a look at how many countries offer aid to the US when there is a tragedy here (9-11 aside). How many of these Muslim/Islam nations ever even consider helping US?!!!

I'm pissed too kirkage!

Doll_Face
12-29-2004, 11:24 AM
We gave $15 million immediately, and I believe the relief package is up to $40 million now. Some people always have negative things to say.

Kirkus
12-31-2004, 06:57 AM
I suppose it's a good thing that he apologized. But, as too often do I, (ask my friends and family :P) he didn't think before speaking.

It's not just that the comment seemed to be directed at the USA. I think I would have been put off if it were someone in the United States speaking about another country. I'm actually more inspired by countries like Cambodia. Their relatively small donation, IMHO, is worth more than the billions that the richer countries will end up giving.

It's a terrible thing that has happened, and to reiterate, I'm inspired by the outpouring of support from the world over.

May the affected people be comforted in the decades ahead.

Doll_Face
12-31-2004, 07:21 AM
Well, our aid increased to $350 million today, and they had Powell do the announcement. I know much more is still needed, but we are trying.

Sebastien447
12-31-2004, 08:07 AM
Well, our aid increased to $350 million today, and they had Powell do the announcement. I know much more is still needed, but we are trying.

hmmmmmm ... one could say that the "stingy" comment worked quite well!

Kirkus
01-01-2005, 06:13 AM
hmmmmmm ... one could say that the "stingy" comment worked quite well!

LOL... apparently so. Right after the US upped to $350 million Japan went to $500 million. It's kinda like an auction.

I wonder how much of all this money is actual donations rather than low-interest loans of some kind.

Sebastien447
01-01-2005, 06:37 AM
Right after the US upped to $350 million Japan went to $500 million. It's kinda like an auction.

hhmmmmm .... *fade to dream sequence*

I've got $15 million from the man in the tall hat do I hear 20 yes I have 20 from the man holding that long thin loaf of bread can I get 25 25 25 going can I get 25 for the tsunami victims ... 25 to the man holding the can of Fosters do I hear 30 $30 million for tsunami relief 30 to the man with the funny little mustache do I hear 50 $50 million to help the tsunami victims ... I have a bid of $350 million from the man in the tall hat! Can I get 500 for a piece of this tsunami relief? I have 500 from the small fellow with sushi on his chin ... Can I get a billion?

I have A BILLION from the man with the tall red white and blue hat who refuses to be outdone!

:P