PDA

View Full Version : Internet Music Without the Guilt

Sebastien447
12-30-2004, 12:52 AM
I confess that I've downloaded music ... a lot of music ... actually an obscene amount. I LOVED Audio Galaxy and was sad when they closed it down, but I just switched to Morpheus, Kazaa, WinMX ... they all had their strengths, and together they were as good as my beloved Audio Galaxy.

I always believed what I was doing to be wrong, but I rationalized with arguments about the exploitation of artists, artificially high CD prices, the evil RIAA, etc. etc. But deep down I knew that what I was doing was wrong. And after a while, I had downloaded everything that I could think of, or heard of (the AG boards were wonderful) ... all archived and neatly tucked away in my mp3 CD library.

But now that I keep hearing about new music ... I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm not going to illegally download music any more, and I haven't bought a CD in years ... don't think I could bring myself to do that until somebody forces the RIAA to face up to what they've been doing. So I've been looking around, and I found a site called Magnatune (http://magnatune.com/). I like it because you can try out the music first and then they say you can name your price, though I haven't purchased anything yet. Here's what they say on their home page ...

We're a record label. But we're not evil.
We call it "try before you buy." It's the shareware model applied to music. Listen to 326 complete MP3 albums we've picked (not 30 second snippets).

We let the music sell itself, because we think that's the best way to get you excited by it.

Our selection is intentionally small: we never waste your time with mediocre music.

If you like what you hear, download an album for as little as $5 (you pick the price), or buy a real CD, or license our music for commercial use.

Artists keep half of every purchase. And unlike most record labels, our artists keep all the rights to their music.

No major label connections and no venture capital.

We are not evil.

Does anyone know of any more sites like this ... thanks in advance!

Sebastien447
12-30-2004, 08:52 PM
OK, I took a look at Rhapsody (http://www.listen.com/listenhome.jsp) leah. Ten bucks a month, plus a per track fee to burn ... and I could not find the amount of said fee ...

leah ???

leah_jewel
01-01-2005, 04:18 AM
OK, I took a look at Rhapsody (http://www.listen.com/listenhome.jsp) leah. Ten bucks a month, plus a per track fee to burn ... and I could not find the amount of said fee ...

leah ???

Bastien, it's $.79 a track to burn. I don't burn a lot of CD's and 99% of the time I'm listening to music is in my room where my computer is, so it works great for me. I think the burn track fee is what keeps a lot of people away from it, but for me, the fact that I can listen to about 90% of the music I want to legally makes the 10 bucks a month worth it. I think they also give out 7 day free trials, so you should give it a shot. ;D

I'll be sure to check out the Magnatune thing also.

Sebastien447
01-01-2005, 07:12 AM
The main problem that I'm finding with Magnatune is that they haven't signed that many bands, and those they have pretty well suck IMO. I liked one song by a band called Brad Sucks though ... track was named something about being nervous I can't recall exactly.

Still browsing the pay sites though ... I don't know about Rhapsody's 10 bucks per month leah ... I know it works for you because you're using your computer like a radio for new music. But I want to find new music and burn. Rhapsody would be OK if they didn't have the $10 monthly fee. I'd be paying for nothing when not in the music mode. Though $0.79 per track sounds reasonable.