PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Flick....

missinandre
04-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Okay, I told my son that of COURSE someone on TAT would have some advice for him!

Brandon has made his high school tennis team but he is just learning how to play. He's made amazing progress in three weeks but a big issue now is...Brandon is having difficulty controlling the "flick" of his wrist when he takes a swing.

Any advice for him in this regard? Something to help him......he usually practices between 2 1/1 hours to 3 hours every day save Sunday and on days when he has matches, he only practices for 1 hour....

Right now...he has pain in his wrists and is still trying to practice....

munchin
04-04-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm probably the last person who should offer advice on tennis form (I think there's a video floating around here of me playing and looking incredibly strange), but I also had terrible wrist problems when I started playing seriously and they lasted for years and I eventually had to just overhaul the way I hit the ball. There's no reason to stay with a certain style that is causing an unreasonable amount of pain (heck, even Rafa has made changes in his game since his early glory days).

If he's a good visual learner/mimicker, what I would recommend is finding slow motion clips of top players hitting shots. Much of my groundstroke game is modeled after (man, this is hard to admit) Justine's. I kind of just copied her strokes (it takes a lot of practice, but once it's ingrained in the muscle memory, it feels great) from YouTube videos I watched over and over. Some coaches dissuade players from copying what they see the pros do but I can't think of a good reason why we can't emulate the best.

munchin
04-04-2010, 02:34 PM
And I'm certainly no doctor but maybe he should take it easy on extreme wristiness if it hurts. At this age, I'm not sure what kind of permanent developmental damage could happen????

JTContinental
04-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Sounds like he might want to lay off the top spin a little bit, and try to follow through closer to his body--I find that my flickiness happens if my arms get too far out in front of me. In the meantime, I hope he's taping them up.

ponchi101
04-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Best thing is to show him SLOW motion of top players. The new guys LOOK as if they flick their wrist, but they do so AFTER impact, when they relax the arm. All the way through contact, the wrist is locked and the grip is held firmly but not so tight that there is a risk of injury.
With your name, missing, you should be ashamed of asking for advice! (Joke). Show him films of Agassi. All his life, everybody thought he was a monster topspin artist. Look closely and see how little under the ball he got, and how he extended fully after impact, rotating the head of the racket by pronating the elbow, not the wrist. He put topspin for control, not clearance. He should be a good example to use (as long as you only talk forehand. His volleys.... I'll leave it there).

Coach_Carlos
08-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Hello missinandre,

A couple of things. One and I think the most important. Have your son rest the wrist for a while. Wrist injuries are very hard to cure if they go untreated. Second i do not knoe the style of play of your son but the use of the wrist is something that has to be done with the whole arm behind it. I don't know if it makes sense. You use the wrist to start the motion but after you do the motion should be a foward, up and across your body motion. If you try to stop the flick after you hit it will create problems with the wrist. Let the movement flow. Also if your flick goes per say forward and your swing goes to the side then your wrist is going to hurt because you are not following the flow of the shot. Everything has to flow in one general direction. It is part of the biomechanis of the game. If the shot doesn't flow you atart to have binding on the joints and that is where the pain comes from. I hope this helps you and good luck with your son. I have a couple of slow motion videos in my website that you can watch at: advancedtennisprograms.com
Also you upload a video of your son playing we can help you a lot more and make corrections based on your son's unique game.

missinandre
08-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Hello missinandre,

A couple of things. One and I think the most important. Have your son rest the wrist for a while. Wrist injuries are very hard to cure if they go untreated. Second i do not knoe the style of play of your son but the use of the wrist is something that has to be done with the whole arm behind it. I don't know if it makes sense. You use the wrist to start the motion but after you do the motion should be a foward, up and across your body motion. If you try to stop the flick after you hit it will create problems with the wrist. Let the movement flow. Also if your flick goes per say forward and your swing goes to the side then your wrist is going to hurt because you are not following the flow of the shot. Everything has to flow in one general direction. It is part of the biomechanis of the game. If the shot doesn't flow you atart to have binding on the joints and that is where the pain comes from. I hope this helps you and good luck with your son. I have a couple of slow motion videos in my website that you can watch at: advancedtennisprograms.com
Also you upload a video of your son playing we can help you a lot more and make corrections based on your son's unique game.

Interesting...Welcome to TAT Coachcarlos! :) If I am reading this correctly...you are saying that as long as it is in a certain direction and the the shot flows....within a whole movement then it's okay to flick his wrist?

--cj--
08-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Is your son hitting with an open stance? Sometimes players flick their wrist to generate spin or power that could otherwise be derived from old fashioned footwork.

With the power of the modern game, there are situations where an open stance is unavoidable, but if you can start with your son now to encourage turning his hips for both forehand and backhand shots he'll be much better off in the long run.

That's my 2 cents.

Now I just need to practice what i preach. :)

missinandre
08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Is your son hitting with an open stance? Sometimes players flick their wrist to generate spin or power that could otherwise be derived from old fashioned footwork.

With the power of the modern game, there are situations where an open stance is unavoidable, but if you can start with your son now to encourage turning his hips for both forehand and backhand shots he'll be much better off in the long run.

That's my 2 cents.

Now I just need to practice what i preach. :)

Interesting....he runs into his shots and literally parks his feet where he is....he thinks he generates power like that....

laddera
10-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Best thing is to show him SLOW motion of top players. The new guys LOOK as if they flick their wrist, but they do so AFTER impact, when they relax the arm. All the way through contact, the wrist is locked and the grip is held firmly but not so tight that there is a risk of injury.
With your name, missing, you should be ashamed of asking for advice! (Joke). Show him films of Agassi. All his life, everybody thought he was a monster topspin artist. Look closely and see how little under the ball he got, and how he extended fully after impact, rotating the head of the racket by pronating the elbow, not the wrist. He put topspin for control, not clearance. He should be a good example to use (as long as you only talk forehand. His volleys.... I'll leave it there).

Agree with ponchi101. You should lock your wrist before contact points to increase accuracy