PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED Women's Picks&Results thread - Aus Open

Moose
01-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Our remaining 18 players going in to Day 8 of the 2010 Australian Open. Having started last Sunday with 355 players, it's a true credit to their gamr playing that this small group is still alive (95% of the pool was eliminated in the first 7 days):

alvinlimtc : Dementieva - Dulko - Petrova - Peer - Kuznetsova - Stosur - Zheng - Wozniacki

ColinUWS : Martinez Sanchez - Benesova - Petrova - Schiavone - Wickmayer - Zvonareva - Zheng - Wozniacki

Danielle : Pavlyuchenkova - Petkovic - Petrova - Schiavone - Kuznetsova - Stosur - Zheng - Zvonareva

Drop-shot : Pennetta - Lisicki - Kleybanova - Zvonareva - Kuznetsova - Stosur - Petrova - Azarenka - Zheng - V. Williams

flowerchild39 : Petrova - Szavay - Kleybanova - Schiavone - Kuznetsova - Li - Zheng - V. Williams - Kirilenko

jenninlaca : Cirstea - Benesova - Petrova - Suarez Navarro - Wickmayer - Azarenka - Zheng - Zvonareva

jmcguire : Petrova - A. Radwanska - Bartoli - Stosur - Wickmayer - Azarenka - Henin - V. Williams - Zheng - S. Williams - Na Li

maedal : Cirstea - Peer - Bartoli - Suarez Navarro - Kirilenko - Stosur - Zheng - Wozniacki

matt2370 : Pavlyuchenkova - Bammer - A. Bondarenko - Suarez Navarro - Kuznetsova - Stosur - Petrova - Wozniacki

netplay225 : Wickmayer - Lisicki - A. Bondarenko - Suarez Navarro - Kuznetsova - Azarenka - Petrova - V. Williams - Zheng - Na Li - S. Williams

peaches : Pennetta - Peer - Kleybanova - Zvonareva - Kuznetsova - Azarenka - Zheng - V. Williams - Kirilenko

PERRYinRO : Cirstea - Szavay - Jankovic - Stosur - Kuznetsova - Zvonareva - Petrova - Wozniacki

pfj1976 : Cirstea - Petkovic - Petrova - A. Radwanska - Wickmayer - Stosur - Zheng - V. Williams - Kirilenko

rickym63 : Pavlyuchenkova - Ivanovic - A. Bondarenko - Hantuchova - Kuznetsova - Stosur - Zheng - Azarenka - Kirilenko

riversurge24 : Wickmayer - Stosur - Jankovic - Hantuchova - Kirilenko - Zvonareva - Petrova - Azarenka - Zheng - V. Williams

seaweed : Henin - Arvidsson - Jankovic - Zvonareva - Kirilenko - V. Williams - Zheng - S. Williams - Petrova

Synth : Wickmayer - Suarez Navarro - Petrova - Peer - Kuznetsova - Stosur - Zheng - V. Williams - Kirilenko

tennisbrp : Petrova - Kvitova - A. Bondarenko - Suarez Navarro - Kuznetsova - Stosur - Zheng - Wozniacki

Moose
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Day 8 Picks are in, and at least two people are going to be leaving us by the end of play today.

Tie for the day's leading pick, as both Caroline Wozniacki and Venus Williams have 6 picks.

Next up, Vika Azarenka with 3,

Vera Zvonareva with 2,

and finally Serena Williams with 1.

Moose
01-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Best case scenario is 10 people still alive for tomorrow. The 6 Venus are through, the 6 Caro are out. We have 2 Vera and 3 Vika, so one or the other is going to be out. And one Serena for today. So, by end of play, it will be 8, 9, or 10 left - with another 4 picks still to be made.

Drop-shot
01-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Best case scenario is 10 people still alive for tomorrow. The 6 Venus are through, the 6 Caro are out. We have 2 Vera and 3 Vika, so one or the other is going to be out. And one Serena for today. So, by end of play, it will be 8, 9, or 10 left - with another 4 picks still to be made.

Gruelling.

seaweed
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Our remaining 18 players going in to Day 8 of the 2010 Australian Open. Having started last Sunday with 355 players, it's a true credit to their gamr playing that this small group is still alive (95% of the pool was eliminated in the first 7 days):

aw. thanks, moose.

Moose
01-25-2010, 05:44 AM
and then there were 10. And we are only at the quarterfinals, with 4 picks left to go.

TennisRone 1000
01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Is Melanie Oudin still in the tourney?

rickym63
01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
and then there were 10. And we are only at the quarterfinals, with 4 picks left to go.

And will be reduced by at least half by the end of the day!
I think breakdown is 5 Kirilenko, 4 Zheng and 1 Petrova.

Moose
01-25-2010, 04:05 PM
And will be reduced by at least half by the end of the day!
I think breakdown is 5 Kirilenko, 4 Zheng and 1 Petrova.

Correct, Ricky. By the end of today's matches, we will have either 4, 5, or 6 players left, from our original 355. This has turned out to be a fantastic women's pool this year.

Danielle
01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
You know, every time I make an updated picks thread I get knocked out that next round. So...CURSES you updated picks & results thread!!

And curses to Vera Z. too. I should have known that late start was a bad omen. That's the third time in less than a year I've watched her go down in a night match. Pennetta pummeled her in Carson last summer late in the evening, made her cry in the USO night match and now this. For the benefit of my fellow SP players, while we know about getting Peng'd and BondarenKO'd, I share with you this tip for future tournys:

Vera Zvonareva + night match = Pick her opponent. :mad:

kknudsen
01-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Way to go everyone who made it - truly well done :overhead_clap:

Moose
01-25-2010, 06:09 PM
With Nadia's loss, we are now in single digits. And we are headed down to 4 or 5 remaining players by the end of women's play today.

nguyen
01-25-2010, 10:48 PM
With Nadia's loss, we are now in single digits. And we are headed down to 4 or 5 remaining players by the end of women's play today.

4 players left it is! Such a horrible SP (for the 351 other participants that is)

Synth
01-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Good game guys!

:)

This was a tough, but exciting SP. A lot of players played some of the best tennis they've ever played, so I can't really fault them for that. I was counting on Dinara making it through Makiri, and so it was a little unfortunate that she didn't, and picking Wickmayer and Petrova early on really shot me in the foot. Though, to be fair, I was also counting on Woz making it past Na Li, and so today I would've picked Li to make it past Venus, which was even more unlikely than Makiri making it past Zheng.

Anyways, congratulations to the remaining four, and best of luck. :)

peaches
01-26-2010, 01:42 AM
Argh, I had to pick Kirilenko rather than the Henin-Petrova match. I think the good money was always on Zheng. Exciting tourny tough. I also think Li will get past Venus and I was saving that pick! See you in Paris....

mmmm8
01-26-2010, 01:51 AM
Argh, I had to pick Kirilenko rather than the Henin-Petrova match. I think the good money was always on Zheng. Exciting tourny tough. I also think Li will get past Venus and I was saving that pick! See you in Paris....

OR you can come back for our Indian Wells and Miami practice pools. No medals awarded, but it's still excruciatingly fun!

TennisBen21
01-26-2010, 04:16 AM
Is Melanie Oudin still in the tourney?

:hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst::hyst:............I mean, No, unfortunately not.

ponchi101
01-26-2010, 05:30 AM
And of the four remaining, our friend Mcguire can not beat the draw because he already used both Zheng and Henin on that side of the draw, so he can not picked them either for the semis or the final.
Brutal SP, gotta admit.

peaches
01-26-2010, 03:26 PM
OR you can come back for our Indian Wells and Miami practice pools. No medals awarded, but it's still excruciatingly fun!

Let's see how my therapy goes after this tourny. If I've recovered I will be in. :-P

Moose
01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Day 10 bandwagon (can it be a bandwagon of 2, even if that 2 represents 50% of our remaining players?) is Venus Williams. Na Li gets one vote, as does Serena Williams.

Looks like at most, 2 people will live to see Day 11.

ptmcmahon
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
If Venus and Serena both win, wonder if the two will go the same way with the Serena and Henin picks left?

And a Venus loss means we have a SP winner?

Moose
01-26-2010, 05:46 PM
If Venus and Serena both win, wouldn't that be 3?

Jmcguire is out of picks if Venus and Serena both win, PT. So only Drop Shot and Riversurge would be able to make a Day 11 pick.

If Vee loses, then NetPlay advances. If Vika then wins, Jmcguire would survive to Day 11, but only have Li available as a pick.

ptmcmahon
01-26-2010, 05:48 PM
yeah, I checked after my post and saw and then tried to edit it quickly...but y'all are just too quick :)

Moose
01-26-2010, 07:10 PM
2 are gone.

Now, going into the 2nd match:

Netplay225 is through, and still has both Justine Henin and Serena Williams.

Jmcguire needs Serena to win tonight to stay alive. He still has Na Li.

lukeorion
01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I will say it sucks that no one can beat the draw unless Serena wins, but its better to see it this way then the whole group of what like 20 of us last year making it to the final.

Synth
01-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Serena has to beat Na today, but she doesn't have to win the whole tournament, since netplay has both Henin and Serena available. Very very impressive indeed!

Moose
01-27-2010, 04:08 PM
No bandwagon effect on Day 11, as our two remaining players are going head to head for the title.

NetPlay225 has Serena Williams, jmcguire has Na Li. At the end of our first semifinal, we will have a champion.

nguyen
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Congrats NP! You did awesome :)