PDA

View Full Version : Bushisms

3mlm
01-01-2005, 07:57 AM
My son got me a daily Bushisms calendar so I though I'd share them with you.

Jan 1/2

"Oftentimes what I try to say in Washington gets filtered and sometimes my words in Washington don't exactly translate directly to the people."

---Kalamazoo, Michigan; March 27, 2001

Kirkus
01-03-2005, 09:51 AM
More more more!

Maybe we need a Talk About Bushisms board.

3mlm
01-03-2005, 11:24 AM
The Bushism for today:

"I think we agree, the past is over."

---On his meeting with John McCain, quoted in the Dallas Morning News; May 10, 2000.

3mlm
01-04-2005, 11:24 AM
"First, we would not accept a treaty that would not have been ratified, nor a treaty that I thought made sense for the country."

---On the Kyoto accord in an interview with the Washington Post; April 24,2001

I guess we don't want any treaties.

Sebastien447
01-15-2005, 03:19 AM
One of my students was showing me some of those the other day and they really are hilarious!

How bout some more 3m?

3mlm
01-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Yeah, I've been neglecting this thread.

1/5

This administration is doing everything we can to end the statemate in an efficient way. We're making the right decisions to bring the solution to an end.

--Washington, D.C.; April 10, 2001

1/6

I'm also not very analytical. You know I don't spend a lot of time thinking about myself, about why I do things.

--Aboard Air Force One; June 4, 2003

1/7

They said, 'You know, this issue doesn't seem to resignate with the people.' And I said, you know something? Whether it resignates or not doesn't matter to me, because I stand for doing what's the right thing, and what the right thing is hearing the voices of people who work.

Portland, Oregon; October 31, 2000

1/8-9

One year ago today, the time for excuse-making has come to an end.

--Washington, D.C.; January 8, 2003

1/10

You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test.

--Townsend, Tennessee; February 21, 2001

1/11

See, we love--we love freedom. That's what they didn't understand. They hate things; we love things. They act out of hatred; we don't seek revenge, we seek justice out of love.

--Oklahoma City; August 29, 2002

1/12

I glance at the headlines just to kind of get a flavor for what's moving. I rarely read the stories, and get briefed by people who are probably read the news themselves.

Washington, D.C.; September 21, 2003

1/13

We're concerned about AIDS inside our White House--make no mistake about it.

--Washington, D.C.; February 7, 2001

1/14

First, let me make it very clear, poor people aren't necessarily killers. Just because you happen to be not rich doesn't mean you're willing to kill.

--Washington, D.C.; May 19, 2003

1/15-16

My administration has been calling upon all the leaders in the--in the Middle East to do everything they can to stop the violence, to tell the different parties involved that peace will never happen.

--Crawford, Texas; August 123, 2001

Kirkus
01-15-2005, 02:10 PM
My day is now brighter. ;D

Only in America.

3mlm
01-17-2005, 12:59 AM
1/17

Do you have blacks, too?

--To Brazilian president Fernando Cardoso; Washington, D.C.; November 8, 2001

Moose
01-17-2005, 02:39 AM
The Bushism for today:

"I think we agree, the past is over."

---On his meeting with John McCain, quoted in the Dallas Morning News; May 10, 2000.

Damn, that's funny. I wonder if McCain thought to himself "how did I ever lose a primary to this guy" after he said this.

jimp
01-17-2005, 07:32 AM
i can't find a favorite! i'm going to have to get one of those!

middaystar
01-18-2005, 04:36 AM
One of my favorites:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

For those who don't know the old Scottish proverb:

Fool Me Once...Shame On You
Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me.

(some knew this from watching StarTrek TOS)

But Bush did say that it was "old saying in Tennessee", that he knew that was in Texas. Yeah right ;)

So maybe, just maybe he was quoting something else. hmm?

Anyway for those of you who can't wait for the day to day bushisms, and don't have their own calender.
You can try this link:
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushvideos/v/bushfoolme.htm

leah_jewel
01-18-2005, 06:24 AM
I remember him saying that, midday. Cracked me up then and it just cracked me up now when I read it.

Good stuff. ;D

3mlm
01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
1/18

I urge the leaders in Europe and around the world to take swift, decisive action against terror groups such as Hamas, to cut off their funding, and to support--cut funding and support, as the United States has done.

--Washington, D.C.; June 25, 2003

3mlm
01-19-2005, 02:11 AM
1/19

The most important job is not to be governor, or first lady in my case.

--Pella, Iowa; as quoted by the San Antonio Express-News;January 30, 2000

???

3mlm
01-21-2005, 03:46 PM
1/20

I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors as well.

--Washington, D.C.; January 29, 2001

1/21

I understand small business growth. I was one.

--New York Daily News; February 19, 2000

3mlm
01-24-2005, 08:40 AM
1/22-23

Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history--revisionist historians is what I like to call them.

--Elizabeth, New Jersey; June 16, 2003

1/24

The best way to relieve families from time is to let them keep some of their own money.

--Westminster, California; September 13, 2000

3mlm
01-26-2005, 02:33 PM
1/25

Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?

--Florence, South Carolina; January 11, 2000

1/26

I don't think we need to be subliminable about the differences between our views on prescription drugs

--Orlando, Florida; September 12, 2000

3mlm
01-27-2005, 05:19 PM
3mlm,

Are you sure that the 1st quote is attributable to Dubya?

I am positive that I heard Capitain H say exactly the same thing on February 14, 1999?

Bill :-/

I'm not sure which quote you're talking about but I'm not certain any of these quotes are really attributable to GW; I'm relying on the authority of the folks who published this calendar.

1/27

I'm the master of low expectations.

--Aboard Air Force One; June 4, 2003

Sebastien447
02-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Here's a Bushism (http://slate.msn.com/id/2113276/fr/rss/) for ya:

Because the—all which is on the table begins to address the big cost drivers. For example, how benefits are calculate, for example, is on the table; whether or not benefits rise based upon wage increases or price increases. There's a series of parts of the formula that are being considered. And when you couple that, those different cost drivers, affecting those—changing those with personal accounts, the idea is to get what has been promised more likely to be—or closer delivered to what has been promised. Does that make any sense to you? It's kind of muddled. Look, there's a series of things that cause the—like, for example, benefits are calculated based upon the increase of wages, as opposed to the increase of prices. Some have suggested that we calculate—the benefits will rise based upon inflation, as opposed to wage increases. There is a reform that would help solve the red if that were put into effect. In other words, how fast benefits grow, how fast the promised benefits grow, if those—if that growth is affected, it will help on the red.

—Explaining his plan to save Social Security, Tampa, Fla., Feb. 4, 2005

3mlm
02-09-2005, 05:37 PM
3mlm,

We had another disconnect a few weeks ago.

You

Posted by: 3mlm Posted on: Jan 27th, 2005, 1:33am
1/25

Quote:Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?

--Florence, South Carolina; January 11, 2000

1/26

Quote:I don't think we need to be subliminable about the differences between our views on prescription drugs

--Orlando, Florida; September 12, 2000

Me

Posted by: BillVFW Posted on: Jan 27th, 2005, 5:48am
3mlm,

Are you sure that the 1st quote is attributable to Dubya?

I am positive that I heard Capitain H say exactly the same thing on February 14, 1999?
Bill

You

I'm not sure which quote you're talking about but I'm not certain any of these quotes are really attributable to GW; I'm relying on the authority of the folks who published this calendar.

1/27

==========

3mlm, I was joking.

Who did you think Capitain H was ?

I thought you knew that Capitain H is a semi-literate dimwit who posts on the ESPN Tennis Message Board.

What this Capitain H imbecile might have said on Valentine's Day, 1999 is of no historical significance or interest to anyone, even Werreloco.

==========

Regards,
Bill

I know well who Capitan H is but all of the quotes I've posted in this thread came from the George W. Bushisms - The Accidental Wit and Wisdom of our 43rd President Based on the Best-selling Books Edited by Jacob Weisberg - 2005 Calendar published by Andrews McMeel Publishing.

I don't vouch for the accuracy or provenance of any of the quotes.

3mlm
02-10-2005, 03:55 PM
I guess I'm a bit behind, here, but I have an excuse.

I'm a tax preparer and this is our busy season. Another month or so and I'll be right on top of it.

1/27

I'm the master of low expectations

--Aboard Air Force One: June 4, 2003

1/28

I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is unerestimating.

--As quoted in U.S. News & World Report; April 3, 2000

Kirkus
02-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Me thinks Bill is taking this thread too serious. The obligation of doing due diligence would fall at the feet of the publishers, not 3mlm. She's merely quoting a publication that's in the public arena. Quotes that I think most of us are taking with a grain of salt and using as nothing more than a quick chuckle in the middle of the day.

It seems to me if any of these quotes were slanderous, Judge Alberto Gonzales would have already seen to it that the calendar was removed from store shelves and the publishers would be facing legal ramifications.

Kirkus
02-13-2005, 02:44 PM
My God! When did all this drama start?

"We people" are not being dense about this. This thread was meant to be a list of humorous quotes from our president. And that's pretty much what it was until your post which included the following:

It's nice to know that you are practicing due diligence, when attributing Bushisms. I trust that Mr. Bush would be reassured, if he knew that you have his best interest at heart and you are making every effort to give him a fair shake as an advocate for intellectual honesty.

BTW, I wish you would have extended me the same courtesy, before you commented "castigating those who don't want to participate in religious rituals seems antithetical to the freedoms we all want to preserve." Which didn't even belong in this thread.

It's obvious that you two are on different sides of the political fence. And if you want to go at it... by all means please do. I, personally, love a good, tough political debate.

On TAT, the only one who responded directly to her was leah-jewel and her reply could be read as a "carry on, 3mlm" encouragement. The only one who responded to me was Catz33, who I remember characterized my original Delgado post as an accurate portrayal of the nexus between "God Bless America" and MLB.
If you're looking for an apology because members didn't come running to your defense, I doubt that you're going to find it. The discussion was between you and 3mlm. I suppose if you can't stand the heat...

But, here's where I'm really starting to have a problem with your posts:
Recently you seem to be obsessed with comparing TOB with TAT. You might as well be comparing dogs to moon-rocks. They are completely different animals. You state, " I am positive if she posted that nonsense on TOB..." Well, Bill, she didn't post it on the other board -- so the response she may have received from members over there is completely irrelative.

As far as we people allowing this to stand and yet making such a fuss about Seb's behavior... "We people" did nothing. I, as owner, made a judgement call. A call you may not agree with. But to compare that with this is, well... once again, dogs and moon-rocks.

Then you stated, "either 'you' agree with her or 'you' were not alert." Again, you couldn't be any further off the mark. I've read every post (more than once) in both threads that you and 3mlm have exchanged views in (and I'll bet I'm not the only staff member that has). And nothing that either of you said warranted any moderating.

The Religion/Politics Board is, by nature, a hotbed of debate. Posts have been made in there that are far more inflammatory than what you're citing here.

The fact that you used the term "you people" makes it obvious to me that you don't feel like you're a part of TAT. And that, more than anything else in this discussion, bothers me. I see you as an integral part of our community, even though I don't agree with you some times.

You have to believe me when I tell you, whether we (the staff) agree with your opinion or not, if you or any member is being attacked unfairly, we'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you in the defense of your right to speak your mind. And if action against another member needs to be made - it will be made.

Doll_Face
02-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Kirkus,

You missed the mark badly.

The section on Bush was tongue-in-cheek. I write satire very wryly.

It was an intro to compare the sensitivity/respect she paid Bush (not one of her favs from what I've read) with what she wrote about me:
"castigating those who don't want to participate in religious rituals seems antithetical to the freedoms we all want to preserve."

Why are you people being so dense about this?

Let me be very blunt:

Where does she come off accusing me of religious intolerance?

Why did you people allow this to stand and yet make such a fuss about Seb's behavior?
Either "you" agree with her or "you" were not alert.

Prior to my posting on TOB, I thought it was an unacceptable environment. I've discovered that it is not.
I am positive if she posted that nonsense on TOB, John Wolfe, Madd, Amon, and Lap would be all over her lickety split. On TAT, the only one who responded directly to her was leah-jewel and her reply could be read as a "carry on, 3mlm" encouragement. The only one who responded to me was Catz33, who I remember characterized my original Delgado post as an accurate portrayal of the nexus between "God Bless America" and MLB.

Let me remind you that guests are welcome to read TAT posts. I value my reputation.

Anyway, I've written more words tonight than most of the 51 members do in a month. Until next month I'll check in silently to see what action, if any, has been taken to correct this matter.

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

I didn't see any action that needed correction. You had a conversation going on with 3mlm, and each of you have the right to your own opinions. The playing field was wide open, so I don't believe any adjustments needed to be made. You should feel free to express your ideas here, if other agree, fine. If they disagree, they are free to voice their opinions too. I didn't enter the discussion, because I could care less about Bush and dirty politics.

I like reading your posts, and you are very knowledgeable and active member of TAT. Why would you become a silent reader and stay away for a month? No harm, no foul. You know I'd miss you.

Sebastien447
02-14-2005, 08:49 AM
If I were to say "Congratulations to Little Baby Tito & Auntie Dee", would you know what I meant?

Well, I know I wouldn't have a clue! But that's par for the course since I don't understand about half of most of your posts anyway ;)

But I really enjoy reading the other halves! :D

And don't you dare run away and pout like I did ... I had an excuse, my head was about to explode!

3mlm
02-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Well, I know I wouldn't have a clue! But that's par for the course since I don't understand about half of most of your posts anyway ;)

But I really enjoy reading the other halves! :D

And don't you dare run away and pout like I did ... I had an excuse, my head was about to explode!

OK, Seb, what did you do to make Kirkus remove one of your posts?

I missed that.

Sebastien447
02-14-2005, 10:04 AM
OK, Seb, what did you do to make Kirkus remove one of your posts?

I missed that.

He didn't remove any of my posts but he locked the lob volley thread on the Help board because I was "mean" to t4. Mean? Who? ... Moi ???

I'm all talked out about it though ... so if you want to read some discussion about the goings ons, go to the "A Question of TAT Debate" thread of the TAT Philosophy board ... good luck, it's fairly heavy duty!

Doll_Face
02-15-2005, 04:01 AM
If I were to say "Congratulations to Little Baby Tito & Auntie Dee", would you know what I meant?

Yes :P

Sebastien447
02-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey Billy ... if you intend anything to be for my eyes only you can just IM me if you want ... I don't bite ... very hard.

My only advice for any further interactions with the peach pit ...

don't bother ::)

3mlm
02-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Oh, my simple little Bushisms thread seems to be all mixed up :'(

What does Peachy have to do with it?

Doll_Face
02-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Oh boy ... ???

Kirkus
02-16-2005, 03:22 AM
Wow! [smiley=hammer2.gif]

3mlm
02-20-2005, 09:31 AM
Now that all the excitement has subsided, I'll post a few more Bushisms.

1-29/30

I recently met with the finance minister of the Palestinian Authority, was very impressed by his grasp of finances.

--Washington, D.C.; May 29, 2003

1/31

I think we ought to raise the age at which juveniles can have a gun.

--St. Louis; October 18, 2000

2/1

In other words, I don't think people ought to be compelled to make the decision which they think is best for their family.

--Washington, D.C.; December 11, 2002

2/2

You saw the president yesterday. I thought he was very forward-leaning, as they say in diplomatic nuanced circles.

Referring to his meeting with Russian president Vladimir Putin; Rome; July 23, 2001