PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions About The Suicide Pool HERE

Moose
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
If you have any question at all about the Suicide Pool, ask it in this thread. An answer will posted as quickly as possible.

ptmcmahon
01-13-2010, 11:31 PM
It's just two first round matches here right?

Woody
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Does it start once the draws or out? Or is it the day before the first matches? Just want to mark it on the calendar!

noedee
01-14-2010, 02:18 AM
How does one post their picks?

patrick
01-14-2010, 06:47 AM
It's just two first round matches here right?

Unless the schedule change, the answer is Yes. 2 for ATP and 2 for WTA.

Moose
01-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Does it start once the draws or out? Or is it the day before the first matches? Just want to mark it on the calendar!

Welcome, Woody!

When the order of play is announced (usually sometime Saturday, USA time), we will post the Day 1 matches - once this thread is opened, you can make your Day 1 pick. We can't open the first days thread until we are certain what matches/half of the draw will be playing on Day 1.

Moose
01-14-2010, 06:56 AM
How does one post their picks?

Welcome to TAT, noedee.

When the Day 1 Order of Play is announced, we will post separate Day 1 Womens Pick and Day 1 Mens Pick threads in this (the Suicide Pool) section of our forum, and announce that we are open for your Day 1 pick. You just reply in that thread with the name of your Day 1 pick.

We'll then Open a Day 2 thread at some point during Day 1 play, and you'll make your second pick, and so on...

nyjoel
01-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Do we have to join the game or anything?

nyjoel
01-14-2010, 08:18 AM
And if we lose are we then blocked from participating? I am not quite sure I understand how this works.

Scotty
01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
hi nyjoel,

to join, you'll need to post your pick in the correct thread in the forum. There will be new threads labeled something pretty obvious like "Day 1 Men's SP ..." and "Women's Day 1 ...". As long as your pick(s) for that day win, you'll need to make a new pick in the Day 2 thread(s), then Day 3, and so on.

There's nothing physically preventing you from making a Day 3 pick if your Day 2 pick loses (for example). But once your Day 2 pick loses, you're out of the pool, and your Day 3 pick becomes moot.

Does that help?

beaujarkko
01-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Hi nyjoel!

Yes, sadly, once your daily pick loses, you would officially be out of the contest, but certainly not barred from sharing your displeasure in what we affectionately call The Loser's Lounge :)

Also, if you're out of the men's game, you are still alive in the women's, as they are separate events.

Audiman
01-18-2010, 06:28 AM
What happens if your pick doesn't get to play on the specified day because of the rain?

morct
01-18-2010, 06:33 AM
What happens if your pick doesn't get to play on the specified day because of the rain?

You still need to make your choice for the next day.

Full explanation here.

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16089

shtexas
01-18-2010, 08:49 AM

Unfortunately, audiman, you were one of two people who picked a player who was never scheduled to play on Monday (the wrong half of the draw). We also had one other person who picked Ferrer, who was in the other half of the draw as well.

Woody
01-18-2010, 09:16 AM
ALERT:

For day 2, you have offered the Date-Krumm match, but it does not appear on australianopen.org on the day 2 Schedule of Play. Have there been changes to the schedule? You might have to get re-picks from some people. I'm assuming the official site has the official sched?

shtexas
01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
ALERT:

For day 2, you have offered the Date-Krumm match, but it does not appear on australianopen.org on the day 2 Schedule of Play. Have there been changes to the schedule? You might have to get re-picks from some people. I'm assuming the official site has the official sched?

Despite the carryover, you can still choose any of the matches listed in the first post of the Day 2 Picks thread.

Woody
01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Oh! Do you mean that for day 2, you can pick any match from the women's top half, even if they're not on the day 2 sched? Ok, I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

shtexas
01-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Oh! Do you mean that for day 2, you can pick any match from the women's top half, even if they're not on the day 2 sched? Ok, I guess that makes sense. Thanks.

Yes. We try to stay on schedule, unless the rain makes it impossible.

mwoods
01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry, but could someone remind me when the halves combine here? Will we be making one quarterfinal pick or two? Thanks!

shtexas
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Sorry, but could someone remind me when the halves combine here? Will we be making one quarterfinal pick or two? Thanks!

Semis. Two quarterfinal picks must be made.

mwoods
01-20-2010, 10:54 PM

Thanks, shtexas!

jidorman
01-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Do we only need to make one men's semi pick, despite the semis being on two different days? I'm guessing this is the case, since it becomes otherwise impossible to pick a finals winner.

aedra1119
01-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Do we only need to make one men's semi pick, despite the semis being on two different days? I'm guessing this is the case, since it becomes otherwise impossible to pick a finals winner.
That is correct, jidorman. You only make one semifinal pick.

Drop-shot
01-23-2010, 08:32 AM

This is true for the women also, right?

beaujarkko
01-23-2010, 08:37 AM
This is true for the women also, right?

Indeed.

Drop-shot
01-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Indeed.

Ouch!

Thanks Beau!

beaujarkko
01-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Ouch!
Thanks Beau!

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as grouchy!

Drop-shot
01-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as grouchy!

No, no... not at all, the ouch was refering to the fact that we have to make two quarterfinal picks.

Sorry :o

SWAT20
01-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey, not trying to be greedy, but is there some sort of prize for winning the Suicide Pool? I thought I remember something to that effect last year but didn't see anything about it here this year.

I'm still alive in Day 8 but the odds are against me from making it to the end. In any case, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Moose
01-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Hey, not trying to be greedy, but is there some sort of prize for winning the Suicide Pool? I thought I remember something to that effect last year but didn't see anything about it here this year.

I'm still alive in Day 8 but the odds are against me from making it to the end. In any case, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

No problem, Swat. Everybody loves prizes.

Our good friend Jon Werthiem of Sports Illustrated is offering a prize to the winner of the mens and womens game. We'll have a tiebreak announcement posted by mid-week for determining who wins the pize.

Woody
01-26-2010, 09:00 AM
I was just thinking, there could be a lot who beat the men's draw (not me of course). What's the normal tiebreaker? Call the scores in the final?

Moose
01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
I was just thinking, there could be a lot who beat the men's draw (not me of course). What's the normal tiebreaker? Call the scores in the final?

Everyone that beats the draw gets a medal, Woody. The tiebreak is only for any prizes (this time, we have a prize awarded by Jon W. at Sports Illustrated). We generally use any number of different tiebreaks, including # of games played, # of winners by the winning player,... We'll be announcing the tiebreak in the next day or two.