PDA

View Full Version : Server/software upgrade this weekend

Kirkus
10-01-2009, 07:43 PM
We're experiencing some server problems during peak periods (we were actually thrown offline for about 15 minutes during the US Open), and it's going to be necessary for me to have our server upgraded. After some haggling with out host, they've offered us a very good deal on a new server with double everything -- processors, RAM, hard drives, etc.

It'll be necessary for us to go offline for a time this coming weekend. I'm trying to set it up to take place during the wee hours of the morning here in the States.

As long as we're going offline for that, I've decided to install some minor security upgrades to our forum software at the same time.

I can't yet say how long the down time will be, or exactly when it will take place, but I'm shooting for late Fri/early Sat or late Sat/early Sun.

As soon as I get the time and duration nailed down, I'll post it here.

winston
10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
You know you're a TAT fan when......

You read Kirkus' post and think -- but that might interfere with the livestreams from Asia.

And then you remember that you check TAT on changeovers, but the livestreams come from elsewhere. :o

Kirkus
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM
You know you're a TAT fan when......

You read Kirkus' post and think -- but that might interfere with the livestreams from Asia.

And then you remember that you check TAT on changeovers, but the livestreams come from elsewhere. :o

LMAO.

Kirkus
10-01-2009, 10:56 PM
This will take place beginning at 2 a.m. (EST) on the 3rd. The server upgrade can take as long as 30 minutes to an hour. I'll need another hour after that to update our forum software. So we could be down for as long as several hours, but should be back up by 4 a.m. (EST).

As usually happens, and even with all good intentions, something(s) may not go as planned. I'll be working to fix any problems that may arise. If you notice anything peculiar following the upgrade, please make note of it in this thread.

As always, I'll make this as quick and painless as possible.

Kirkus
10-03-2009, 02:01 AM
We've been moved to our new upgraded server!

I've also updated our forum software to the most recent version.

Our tech guys got started an hour late, but we still managed to get it all done by 4:00 a.m. (EST).

Although you may notice a slight improvement in performance, the main reason for this server move is to give us more power to handle peak times, which we were struggling with -- especially during grand slams when we have a lot of visitors -- and to give us room to continue growing our community and website.

If you notice any problems, please post them in this thread.

Thanks for your patience during this upgrade.

Kirkus
10-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I thought this was interesting. A graph of our server activity before and after the upgrade:

Kirkus
10-04-2009, 01:31 AM
I just noticed that the links in the forum footer aren't correct. I'll get those fixed.

Kirkus
10-20-2009, 07:46 PM
There are going to continue to be some upgrades here and there through the end of the year. We'll be down for a short time tomorrow night or Thursday night to have a couple applications on our server upgraded. I don't know exactly when it will take place, but it shouldn't take long when it does happen.

Kirkus
10-21-2009, 10:54 AM
This upgrade should take place tonight. I'll schedule it for around 1:00 am (EST). I don't expect this to take very long.

Without going into a lot of detail... we've been running old server software because, well because it's been working (if it ain't broke, etc.). But there are some things that I want to be able to do in the future that I can't because of this older software.

Our forum is dependent on this particular software in order to run. And the forum itself should not be affected by this upgrade. However, some of the "add-ons" that we use, especially the older ones (Awards, Arcade, etc.) might be affected. I don't believe they will, but they might.

If anything essential to our community is broken by this upgrade, I'll immediately get to work on fixing it. If, after this upgrade tonight, you notice anything that's not normal, please post about it in this thread.

::

For those who understand these things, we've been running versions 4.x of both MySQL and PHP. I'm going to have our tech guys upgrade us to the latest stable versions of both (5.x).

Kirkus
10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
They're going to do this tonight at 1:00 a.m. I'm going to shut the forum down at 12:55 a.m. (EST) to get a backup before they start. As soon as I hear back from them, I'll open up the forum again.

Kirkus
10-21-2009, 10:27 PM
The upgrade appears to have gone off without a hitch. I've checked several areas of our community and all seems to be just fine.

Please help me by posting any oddities that you experience in this thread.

Sorry for the down-time everyone. I'll try and keep the updates/upgrades to a minimum, but we might need to do a few more before the first of the year.