PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Wimbledon YCWJ: How It Works

mrjiggyfly2
06-18-2009, 11:06 PM
You Can’t Win Jack Contest - Wimbledon 2009

Please Note: Wimbledon 2009, "You Can't Win Jack" will be a medal-awarding contest for the first-place winner(s) only.

Anyone can pick the men’s and women’s singles winners of Wimbledon 2009, but it takes real talent to spot the ultimate LOSER of the event. The Wooden Spoon Award goes to the last place finisher of a competition – in tennis terms, it’s the player whose conqueror loses in the next round, whose conqueror loses in the next round, whose conqueror loses in the next round, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_spoon_%28award%29

At the 2009 Australian Open, the immortal Viktoriya Kutuzova was the biggest loser for the women. She lost in R1 to Nathalie Dechy, who lost in R2 to Ai Sugiyama, who lost in R3 to Jelena Jankovic, who lost in R4 to Marion Bartoli, who lost in the quarters to Vera Zvonareva, who lost in the semis to Dinara Safina, who lost in the final to Serena Williams.

Not to be outdone, Kristof can't win a match Vliegen was the biggest loser for the men. He lost in R1 to Simone Bolelli, who lost in R2 to Mardy Fish, who lost in R3 to Marcos Baghdatis, who lost in R4 to Novak Djokovic, who lost in the quarters to Andy Roddick, who lost in the semis to Roger Federer, who lost in the final to Rafael Nadal.

That's how Viktoriya Kutuzova and Kristof Vliegen captured the boobie prizes in TAT YCWJ tennis at the Australian Open!

ENTRY: To enter the 2009 Wimbledon "You Can't Win Jack" contest, pick the names of four men’s singles contestants and four women’s singles contestants who you think are the most likely to finish in “last place” in their respective draws. Rank those players 1-4, with #1 being your most likely to finish “last”.

These picks carry through the rest of the tournament. So if your picks lose in the first round – and you hope they do! – the players who beat your picks become your new selections in the 2R, and so on, until the finals (if you’re lucky…).

SCORING: For each round that one of your entries remains in the running, you earn a point. Bonus points are earned based on your selected rank of your four picks. You get a multiplier for bonus points – your number 1 pick gets a bonus of (x4), #2 pick gets a bonus of (x3), #3 pick gets a bonus of (x2) and #4 pick gets a bonus of (x1).

EXAMPLE: Using the 2009 Australian Open as an example, let’s say Bernard Tomic was my #1 pick in the Wooden Spoon contest. Since he won in the 1R, I get no points. But Oscar Hernandez was my #2 pick, and he lost to Janko Tipsarevic. So I get a point for Hernandez' loss, and Tipsarevic automatically becomes my 2R pick. As my #2 pick, any points I earned from Hernandez - and from Tipsarevic in the next round, etc. - get multiplied by (x3).

HINTS:
* To make it easy on yourself, fill out a full drawsheet, then trace backwards through the draw to find your ultimate losers!

* It’s not enough to pick players who you think will lose first round, because you'll need the winner of the match to lose in the next round.

NOTE: If any player that you select withdraws before his/her first round match, and you do not change your pick, you will be assigned the player who takes your original selection's place in the draw.

Entries are due before the start of main draw play at Wimbledon.

The Wimbledon draw will be announced Friday, June 19th.

Good Luck to all entrants

Post Your Picks Here:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14430

Ask Questions Here:

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14431

mrjiggyfly2
06-19-2009, 08:33 AM
bump

manolo
06-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Sounds great! This will be my first time, maybe i'll have more luck than with the SP :)