PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions About the Suicide Pool HERE

Moose
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
If you have questions about the 2009 Wimbledon Suicide Pool ask them in this thread and an answer will be posted as soon as possible.

vivg91
06-13-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm on travel on the 21st (driving from SoCal back to Seattle), so I'm literally going to be without a computer/internet the whole day. What do I do about my pick?

beaujarkko
06-14-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm on travel on the 21st (driving from SoCal back to Seattle), so I'm literally going to be without a computer/internet the whole day. What do I do about my pick?

Since the Day 1 Order or Play will be out on Sunday the 20th, you will have a chance to post your first day pick in the thread per normal. Then, I would send an email to tatpicks@yahoo.com with your Day 2 Pick (which would be from the other half of the draw). As long as you're not posting/sending multiple/conditional picks, this would be fine. Just put "Day 2 Pick" in the subject line so we know it's not for the first day of the contest. We can't accommodate multiple picks in advance, but this would be fine as a one-off occurrence. I hope this helps.

TXCommodore
06-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Is there a limited number of people allowed or can anyone play? Thanks!

tinamarie
06-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Anyone can play, TXCommodore! Welcome to TAT and good luck in the Suicide Pool:)

beaujarkko
06-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Welcome, TXCommodore! As soon as the "Men's/Ladies Day 1 Picks" threads open up, you can make your first selections. The only thing we're waiting for is the official Wimbledon Order of Play announcement, which usually gets posted Sunday morning-- though we're hoping they get it done a day in advance so we can get this started!

carlitos2006
06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I discovered that Simon Bolelli had withdrawn from his match against Tsonga this morning before play had started. If I had wanted to take the easy route through the Day 3 pick (instead of squeaking through when PEHK won 8-6 in the fifth), I might have changed my pick to Tsonga. Moral issues aside, would that have been allowed within SP rules?

Moose
06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I discovered that Simon Bolelli had withdrawn from his match against Tsonga this morning before play had started. If I had wanted to take the easy route through the Day 3 pick (instead of squeaking through when PEHK won 8-6 in the fifth), I might have changed my pick to Tsonga. Moral issues aside, would that have been allowed within SP rules?

For starters, Carlitos, we rely on SP players doing the "moral thing". Since we're a batch of volunteers trying to create a fun environment for everyone. we have to trust that everyone plays the game with that spirit in mind.

Generally, one of us will post a notice that we learned about a withdraw, and that nips the issue in the bud. We also invite anyone that's on the board, or anyone posting to put up a notice of a withdraw.

But if we saw a change of a pick after a withdraw of a player, it would not be acepted.

carlitos2006
06-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks Moose. I don't know exactly when the withdrawal was announced, but I only noticed it a few minutes before play began. Very few people chose Tsonga anyway, so I doubt anyone traded on inside information.

BTW, PEHK saved me today. Lucky for you, Moose, that he pulled that match out, or it would have been the first and last time I used him in a suicide pool!

Moose
06-24-2009, 03:50 PM
BTW, PEHK saved me today. Lucky for you, Moose, that he pulled that match out, or it would have been the first and last time I used him in a suicide pool!

I think you, and 106 other PEHK pickers would have been looking to tar and feather me if he hadn't pulled that one out. Of course, come end of play on Friday, you'll be cursing yourself for having used him too early ;)

carlitos2006
06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey, wait a minute, you picked him on Day 3 just like the rest of us! That's not showing an awful lot of confidence in him going into Friday, Moose.

My respect level for Philipp certainly rose today. But if he takes out Federer, man, I'll make him my new avatar! (not that I post that much)

Moose
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey, wait a minute, you picked him on Day 3 just like the rest of us! That's not showing an awful lot of confidence in him going into Friday, Moose.

I will have no problem accepting losing in this SP if my biggest mistake was not saving Philipp, carlitos!

My respect level for Philipp certainly rose today. But if he takes out Federer, man, I'll make him my new avatar! (not that I post that much)

Arguably the two biggest wins of Philipp's career have come in the 3rd round of Slams - Roddick at the Australian '08 (the 100+ winners match), and Djokovic at the French '09. and they say good things come in threes. So one more big 3rd round win at a Slam could simply be fate!

orangegirl
06-25-2009, 07:58 PM
I posted a Thursday pick, Sam Stosur, who won, but for some reason I'm in Red and my pick isn't showing. I checked the Thursday picks again and I found my post. Can I make a Friday pick? I know this late in the day, but I just got in and noticed it.

orangegirl
06-25-2009, 08:01 PM
As a follow up, I did post a Friday pick. Hopefully it will be accepted.

shtexas
06-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I see your day 4 pick orangegirl. I will send a note to beau. Make your day 5 choice.

Snoo Foo
06-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't know if anybody is around to answer you officially but you should definitely make a pick for tomorrow.

Edit: OK nevermind!

shtexas
06-25-2009, 08:06 PM
orangegirl - Did Pavlyuchenkova win on day 3, though?

shtexas
06-25-2009, 08:11 PM
orangegirl - Did Pavlyuchenkova win on day 3, though?

No. Vinci beat her. That is why you are red orangegirl.

orangegirl
06-26-2009, 04:41 AM
They say the eyes are the first to go and I thought I was black Wednesday night. Sorry to be a bother but thanks for the prompt response.

mu_royals
06-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Will there be just 4 more picks the rest of the way for the women's and men's sides. In other words, only one pick each for the 4th round and quarters--unlike the other majors where you have to pick one person on each for those 2 rounds? If so, there are going to be a lot of people run the table on the men's side, esp. if the favorites wind up in the finals (i.e. Federer against either Murray or Roddick).

shtexas
06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Will there be just 4 more picks the rest of the way for the women's and men's sides. In other words, only one pick each for the 4th round and quarters--unlike the other majors where you have to pick one person on each for those 2 rounds? If so, there are going to be a lot of people run the table on the men's side, esp. if the favorites wind up in the finals (i.e. Federer against either Murray or Roddick).

Correct! 4 left - barring rain on Monday messing things up for the quarters. Rain split the men's quarters into two days in '07.

nguyen
06-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Ah no split please! It's tough enough as is.