PDA

View Full Version : Clijsters looking serious about comeback?

Moose
03-09-2009, 01:26 PM
The Net Post: could Kim Clijsters be planning a comeback?
The Times Tennis Correspondent hears that the popular Belgian, who retired ten months ago, is working hard on the practice court
(Alain Sprimont/Reuters)

Is Kim Clijsters seriously contemplating a return to international tennis? Word reaches the Net Post that the Belgian former world No 1, who 'retired' from the game in May 2007 is putting in an awful lot more court time and rigorous training that would usually be associated with preparing for an exhibition - even one as momentous as that on Wimbledon's Centre Court in May. Clijsters is in the field for the Raising the Roof event at the All England Club with Tim Henman, Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf but we hear the 2005 US Open champion has been playing for six hours a day some four times a week with a coach and trainer at hand. That's a lot of court time for a bit of hit and giggle.

Clijsters stepped away from the professional game at the age of 24, saying that the constant struggle against injury had taken a debilitating toll. "To retire before the age of 24, it is very young — but it was so beautiful to step away," she said at the time. "Money is important, but not the most important thing in my life. Health and private happiness are so much more important. It's tiring to get out of bed and to use an hour just to warm up stiff muscles in the morning. The constant injuries and continual rehabilitation, it makes it all even more difficult to go on."

She married the former American basketball player Brian Lynch in July 2007 and had her first child, Jada, last year but was rocked by the death of Leo, her father, from cancer two months ago and has thrown herself back into the punishing training regimen. It would be glorious to see Clijsters return and it is not as if the game has moved on significantly since she stepped away. Watch this space.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article5872224.ece

dryrunguy
03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
:)

Moose
03-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I hope the USTA keeps a WC tucked away in its back pocket. I'm sure one could be set aside if a former champ's people dropped some hints about a trip to the States in late summer for the Lynch household.

Togtdyalttai
03-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I'd think that maybe Kim's testing out the new roof in order to prepare for a comeback at Wimbledon. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe she would wait longer.

bea26
03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I hope the USTA keeps a WC tucked away in its back pocket. I'm sure one could be set aside if a former champ's people dropped some hints about a trip to the States in late summer for the Lynch household.

They might be idiots if they haven't already considered this.

morct
03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
:banana::banana:

Even to see her name in the news again is great!

beaujarkko
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Kimmie. Oh to see a 2005 again. Sweet sweet wonderfulness.

nelslus
03-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Kimmie. Oh to see a 2005 again. Sweet sweet wonderfulness.

And now, we have our new nickname for beau. "Sweet sweet wonderfulness."

:cheesy:

dryrunguy
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM

You've obviously never seen Beau on a Wedneday night. ;)

Charlie02123
03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Justine retired ten months ago.

beaujarkko
03-09-2009, 06:25 PM

You better believe it. That's all me right there.

You've obviously never seen Beau on a Wedneday night. ;)

Hush. And besides, on a Tuesday night, I have two Wednesday nights.

Moose
03-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Isn't it funny how fans take on the characteristics of their fave players? Beau and Morct, like Kim, truly are all kinds of "sweet sweet wonderfulness".

Now, remind me again...just who on TAT is a fan of Justine?

Scotty
03-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Isn't it funny how fans take on the characteristics of their fave players? Beau and Morct, like Kim, truly are all kinds of "sweet sweet wonderfulness".

Watch it, mister. I am.

But if you think that means that I'm likely to visit sick children in the hospital, and/or bring more attention to the plight of children in Africa, then that's fine.

Moose
03-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Watch it, mister. I am.

But if you think that means that I'm likely to visit sick children in the hospital, and/or bring more attention to the plight of children in Africa, then that's fine.

Well, there's that too.

But tell me, have you ever had a dream about HFPY? And can you picture yourself in this photo?

http://www.thedailystar.net/2007/01/25/2007-01-25__sport05.jpg

That's the direction I was heading in.

GVGirl
03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Moose,

Remember Kim has a home on the New Jersey shore.

Moose
03-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Moose,

Remember Kim has a home on the New Jersey shore.

Remember? I've spent the last month on Google Earth tracking it.

GVGirl
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Remember? I've spent the last month on Google Earth tracking it.
LOL :hyst: I could have saved you the trouble. Her part of NJ comes under my USTA jurisdiction. :lipsrsealed:

Drop-shot
03-10-2009, 09:33 AM

Vlad?

mmmm8
03-10-2009, 10:04 AM

:asshole:

Have I told you yet how I'm going to the Wimbledon exho in May? I'm going to do my best to remain neutral. Might have to pretend Andre and Steffi are playing two Tim Henmans. :rolleyes:

omess
03-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Clijsters will hold a press conference on Thursday to announce her plan for the future http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/archives/3331

nelslus
03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Clijsters will hold a press conference on Thursday to announce her plan for the future http://www.tennisgrandstand.com/archives/3331

Hopefully, Kim plans to continue to lose big championships just like before, for years to come!! And even more importantly, to remain nice!!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Vlad
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Hopefully, Kim plans to continue to lose big championships just like before, for years to come!! And even more importantly, to remain nice!!!! :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Since it is Kim, you now you can count on it!

bea26
03-23-2009, 06:40 PM

Aw, I liked what you had the first time. :)

craighickman
03-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Moose, your No. 1 girl is coming back. Why do you even doubt this?

Moose
03-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Moose, your No. 1 girl is coming back. Why do you even doubt this?

Just catching up on the day's news. I'm in Seattle for a few days.

We can only hope, Craig. I'll welcome her back with wide open arms if she does. And I'll definitely be at her WTT match in Philly, so hopefully I'll be able to give my fellow Kim fans, and the rest of TAT, a good insight as to what things look like.

omess
03-24-2009, 05:39 AM
"Kim Clijsters plans to return to the WTA Tour as early as this summer and "her management team have already been in contact with organisers of the US Open," according to the the Independent.

Belgian wire service Belga reports that Clijsters will hold a press conference Thursday in her hoetown of Bree to announce her schedule for the season."

www.tennis.com

zinfandel
03-24-2009, 05:44 AM
"Kim Clijsters plans to return to the WTA Tour as early as this summer and "her management team have already been in contact with organisers of the US Open," according to the the Independent.

Belgian wire service Belga reports that Clijsters will hold a press conference Thursday in her hoetown of Bree to announce her schedule for the season."

www.tennis.com

biiiioutiful!!!! This is great I hope she becomes competitive quite quickly. If Maria is back too, the USO 2009 will be fantastic!!!!

morct
03-24-2009, 05:46 AM
Well this has just made my day. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

evil_juju
03-24-2009, 06:21 AM
what a very nice way to start the day. :)

Drop-shot
03-24-2009, 07:16 AM
I wasn't a fan, but I love a comeback.

beaujarkko
03-24-2009, 07:20 AM
Oh sweet sweet wonderfulness.

verucasalt
03-24-2009, 10:30 AM
I was hoping she couldn't stay away.

bea26
03-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm always surprised when they come back. I don't know why. Never the dads, just the moms. Clearly I need to be educated.

morct
03-24-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm always surprised when they come back. I don't know why. Never the dads, just the moms. Clearly I need to be educated.

I'd imagine that she will be very selective about where she plays. I'd say she will find it much more satisfying when she's not traipsing around the globe every week nonstop, but more playing the tournaments that fit in with her life.

dryrunguy
03-24-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd imagine that she will be very selective about where she plays. I'd say she will find it much more satisfying when she's not traipsing around the globe every week nonstop, but more playing the tournaments that fit in with her life.

And Roadkill will not suit that. :mad:

suliso
03-24-2009, 11:01 AM

Because it's boring otherwise. She has plenty of money, but not much to spend her time on (just a child is apparently not enough).

bea26
03-24-2009, 11:19 AM
Because it's boring otherwise. She has plenty of money, but not much to spend her time on (just a child is apparently not enough).

lol, moms of the world are on their way with pitchforks and torches.

morct
03-24-2009, 12:59 PM
lol, moms of the world are on their way with pitchforks and torches.

Not this one. :D

bea26
03-24-2009, 01:06 PM
Unofficial: Clijsters getting US Open wild card.

WASHINGTON (AP)—Former No. 1-ranked tennis player Kim Clijsters has asked the U.S. Open about receiving a wild card for this year’s tournament as part of her comeback plans, The Associated Press has learned.

The 25-year-old Belgian says she will announce her 2009 plans at a news conference Thursday.

A person who works at the U.S. Tennis Association tells the AP there have been conversations between a tournament official and representatives of Clijsters, who retired in 2007.

The person said the USTA told Clijsters she would receive a U.S. Open wild card if she formally requests one.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because Clijsters has yet to announce her comeback.

Clijsters is the 2005 U.S. Open champion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AmSSqoLpJDz_pG6r5Scx6Mc4v7YF?slug=ap-clijstersfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns

dryrunguy
03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Unofficial: Clijsters getting US Open wild card.

WASHINGTON (AP)—Former No. 1-ranked tennis player Kim Clijsters has asked the U.S. Open about receiving a wild card for this year’s tournament as part of her comeback plans, The Associated Press has learned.

The 25-year-old Belgian says she will announce her 2009 plans at a news conference Thursday.

A person who works at the U.S. Tennis Association tells the AP there have been conversations between a tournament official and representatives of Clijsters, who retired in 2007.

The person said the USTA told Clijsters she would receive a U.S. Open wild card if she formally requests one.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because Clijsters has yet to announce her comeback.

Clijsters is the 2005 U.S. Open champion.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AmSSqoLpJDz_pG6r5Scx6Mc4v7YF?slug=ap-clijstersfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns

:freekingout::freekingout::freekingout:

patrick
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
:freekingout::freekingout::freekingout:

You and Moose needs to buy your USO tickets if you have not done so.

mwoods
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
KIMMIE!!!! :) :) :)

dryrunguy
03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
You and Moose needs to buy your USO tickets if you have not done so.

I believe tickets become available to us peons in April? Or maybe it's later in March? I don't remember.

GVGirl, help!

This is really important because I also have to coordinate with my brother since he's getting me an extra day of tickets for my 40th birthday. :)

GVGirl
03-24-2009, 01:54 PM
I believe tickets become available to us peons in April? Or maybe it's later in March? I don't remember.

GVGirl, help!

This is really important because I also have to coordinate with my brother since he's getting me an extra day of tickets for my 40th birthday. :)

See USO Tailgate thread!

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12879

Something tells me that we are going to have a bunch of TATers on the US Open grounds on day 1!

hurricanejeanne
03-24-2009, 01:57 PM
I wonder what poor bighitter will draw Saint Kimmie in the opening round of the USO...

...it better not be one of my girls.

dryrunguy
03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I wonder what poor bighitter will draw Saint Kimmie in the opening round of the USO...

...it better not be one of my girls.

Venus, obviously. :mad: Even if Kim gets her ranking up quickly into the range where she doesn't need a wildcard, Venus will draw her first or second round. Write it down.

See USO Tailgate thread!

Something tells me that we are going to have a bunch of TATers on the US Open grounds on day 1!

Gracias!

Martini4me
03-24-2009, 02:02 PM
See USO Tailgate thread!

Why, you don't think she'll make it to the third round (tailgate weekend)?

I'm very surprised by all this. All through 2006, I was thinking, she'll change her mind. When push comes to shove, and the retirement date gets nearer, she'll realize she doesn't want to leave tennis. PLEASE!! But when she stuck to her word, I was positive that there would be no turning back. I couldn't see her making a U-turn back from her domestic bliss.

In any case, :).

GVGirl
03-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Why, you don't think she'll make it to the third round (tailgate weekend)?

I'm very surprised by all this. All through 2006, I was thinking, she'll change her mind. When push comes to shove, and the retirement date gets nearer, she'll realize she doesn't want to leave tennis. PLEASE!! But when she stuck to her word, I was positive that there would be no turning back. I couldn't see her making a U-turn back from her domestic bliss.

In any case, :).

I hope she makes it to Tailgate weekend, but to ensure that Kimmie fans will see her, I'm sure some will attend the first few days of the tournament.

So in addition to TATers meeting at the PEHK matches, we'll also be meeting at Kimmie's matches.;)

hurricanejeanne
03-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Venus, obviously. :mad: Even if Kim gets her ranking up quickly into the range where she doesn't need a wildcard, Venus will draw her first or second round. Write it down.

Oh totally, and this is when I breathe a sigh of relief that Lindsay got knocked up again. :p

Danielle
03-24-2009, 02:20 PM
I hope she makes it to Tailgate weekend, but to ensure that Kimmie fans will see her, I'm sure some will attend the first few days of the tournament.

So in addition to TATers meeting at the PEHK matches, we'll also be meeting at Kimmie's matches.;)

So what happens if PEHK and Kimmie play at the same time??! :)

rabbit
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Not to offend Kim fans, but I find her comeback a bit annoying. During her last season on tour, she made such a big deal of the fact that she would be enjoying pure domestic bliss with her husband and kids. Nearly every interview of hers would be filled with this kind of talk, and it made players like Serena and Justine seem too ruthless and professional (for some reason, that term is thought to be pejorative for women). And now, after all the fanfare of retirement, she might return again, once again forgoing the pleasures of home life. Her good humor, sportsmanship and talent are admirable, but it honestly bothers me that she repeatedly said that she wants a life outside of the one that won her so much money and fans, and now after she has tried that, she wants to come in again. I personally much prefer players like Federer and Serena who make no qualms about the fact that they enjoy their tennis life and who hope to put every effort into making it as long as possible.

Drop-shot
03-24-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice point Rabbit.

dryrunguy
03-24-2009, 03:18 PM

Is it morally wrong to hope a woman plays mixed doubles at the U.S. Open with a certain male player, ultimately has a torrid extramarital affair, dumps her husband, and goes slightly Chrissie when your only real motivation is that it will make a good friend very, very happy?

dryrunguy
03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Not to offend Kim fans, but I find her comeback a bit annoying. During her last season on tour, she made such a big deal of the fact that she would be enjoying pure domestic bliss with her husband and kids. Nearly every interview of hers would be filled with this kind of talk, and it made players like Serena and Justine seem too ruthless and professional (for some reason, that term is thought to be pejorative for women). And now, after all the fanfare of retirement, she might return again, once again forgoing the pleasures of home life. Her good humor, sportsmanship and talent are admirable, but it honestly bothers me that she repeatedly said that she wants a life outside of the one that won her so much money and fans, and now after she has tried that, she wants to come in again. I personally much prefer players like Federer and Serena who make no qualms about the fact that they enjoy their tennis life and who hope to put every effort into making it as long as possible.

I guess the only real defense is that life changes... Especially as a young adult. I guess I'd argue that it's pretty understandable. I'm also not sure how much her father's health figured into everything. He was already sick during her last year on the tour, right? If I remember correctly... But I could be wrong. Or was it that her parents were divorcing? I honestly don't remember the timeline.

Anyway, it's pretty normal for people to change their minds. Perhaps she should have spoken with less certainty, but...

Drop-shot
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
I hate it when Dry makes sense...

dryrunguy
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I hate it when Dry makes sense...

You only have to worry about that once a year... ;)

igorwright
03-24-2009, 04:05 PM
People change, life change. But one thing remain the same! It's going to be an amazing pleasure to have Kim back! Even if it will be for a brief moment! Even if she got kicked out of the court by Akgul Amanmuradova. She turned the year of WTA from a mild one to a exciting one! So... Thank you Kim!

rabbit
03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
I guess the only real defense is that life changes... Especially as a young adult. I guess I'd argue that it's pretty understandable. I'm also not sure how much her father's health figured into everything. He was already sick during her last year on the tour, right? If I remember correctly... But I could be wrong. Or was it that her parents were divorcing? I honestly don't remember the timeline.

Anyway, it's pretty normal for people to change their minds. Perhaps she should have spoken with less certainty, but...

Yeah, you make sense, dry! :cheesy: I had honestly forgotten about her father. And I will also say it will be a nice exciting change to have a top-class player back in the fold.

bea26
03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
It's going to be an amazing pleasure to have Kim back! Even if it will be for a brief moment! Even if she got kicked out of the court by Akgul Amanmuradova.

I've imagined many a possible scenario. This is not one of them.

igorwright
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I've imagined many a possible scenario. This is not one of them.

lol I prefer be ready for a upset...so the good things it will be even better and wonderful! lol

;)

Charlie02123
03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Hooray! With Kuznetsova being an idiot and Petrova and Davydenko always being injured, I needed an old fav to come out of retirement.

bea26
03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Hooray! With Kuznetsova being an idiot and Petrova and Davydenko always being injured, I needed an old fav to come out of retirement.

Yeah, you know, you might be a jinx.

Charlie02123
03-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah, you know, you might be a jinx.
That's a very real possibility.

bea26
03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
That's a very real possibility.

You know who's a good player? Robin Soderling.

Jay
03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Is it morally wrong to hope a woman plays mixed doubles at the U.S. Open with a certain male player, ultimately has a torrid extramarital affair, dumps her husband, and goes slightly Chrissie when your only real motivation is that it will make a good friend very, very happy?
Me thinks Moose wants a certain male player all to himself ;)

craighickman
03-24-2009, 06:03 PM

I'm neutral about her as a tennis player. Her father died. That event wipes away everything that you said.

nelslus
03-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Then that would be TWO matches nelslus would avoid. :cheesy:

Togtdyalttai
03-24-2009, 11:55 PM

What is it with PEHK and Moose? This thread doesn't make sense without knowing that.

Moose
03-25-2009, 07:02 AM
What is it with PEHK and Moose? This thread doesn't make sense without knowing that.

http://www.talkabouttennis.com/forum/blog.php?b=95

GVGirl
03-25-2009, 07:11 AM

I don't find it annoying. Were people annoyed when Hingis or Lindsay came back? I don't think so. Also, her father just passed, that makes a HUGE difference in one's life.

GVGirl
03-25-2009, 07:12 AM

TATers, including me are bad when it comes to these initials, it makes us seem "cliquish." PEHK = Philip Edward Herman Kohlschreiber

Fiercehart
03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
May be old news. This from the New York Times.

Clijsters Expected to Return to Tennis
By LYNN ZINSER
Published: March 24, 2009

Kim Clijsters, a former top-ranked player, is expected to announce her return to professional tennis at a news conference Thursday in Bree, Belgium, her hometown. Her plans will probably include requesting a wild card to the United States Open.

Clijsters, 25, stirred talk of a comeback by agreeing to play in a World Team Tennis event this summer and in an exhibition with Steffi Graf, Andre Agassi and Tim Henman at Wimbledon in May. United States Tennis Association officials said that they had not received a formal request for a wild card into the Open from Clijsters, but that she would probably be granted one.

Clijsters, who reached No. 1 in 2003, won the Open in 2005, her only Grand Slam title. Twenty-three of her 34 pro singles titles have come on hardcourts.

Clijsters retired in May 2007, citing injuries and the desire to start a family. She married the American basketball player Brian Lynch that July; their daughter, Jada Ellie, was born in February 2008.

LYNN ZINSER

Ti-Amie
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
Rumor is she's going to ask for WC's into Cincinnati, Toronto and the US Open. The USTA has reportedly said she'll get a WC into the Open if she asks for it.

rabbit
03-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't find it annoying. Were people annoyed when Hingis or Lindsay came back? I don't think so. Also, her father just passed, that makes a HUGE difference in one's life.

As I said earlier, I had forgotten about her father passing away. It makes the situation look entirely different.

Moose
03-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Rumor is she's going to ask for WC's into Cincinnati, Toronto and the US Open. The USTA has reportedly said she'll get a WC into the Open if she asks for it.

Cincy and Toronto are both Premiere events under Roadkill. I'm surprised she isn't looking at maybe WC'ing into one or two smaller events just to get a feel for things on the Tour again. It's going to be over two years since she played a WTA level match.

oohsalmon
03-26-2009, 02:19 AM
Why not WC into Wimbledon? Seriously, Kimmie...

omess
03-26-2009, 05:26 AM
She is backkkkkkkkkkk. She will play Cincinnati, Toronto and US Open

morct
03-26-2009, 05:43 AM
From her website: http://www.kimclijsters.be/

In August Kim Clijsters will return to the world of professional tennis and participate in three official tournaments: the US Open and the WTA tournaments of Cincinnati and Toronto. In the period leading up to that, several exhibition matches have been scheduled. Kim will play in Belgium only once, at the Diamond Games. The event has been reshaped and the 'new formula' will take place in Antwerp from 10 to 13 December.

Kim Clijsters started the year eager to be training again on a frequent basis and her initial aim was to take part in a few exhibition matches. Her hunger for competition has proven bigger than assumed and she still enjoys thorough and strenuous training sessions. Which is why she decides to see what would be feasible, combined with her family life.

On 10 August Clijsters will be playing her first official match in Cincinnati, her first competition since she retired on 3 May 2007. The subsequent week Kim starts the Toronto tournament. On 31 August she returns to the US Open, the Grand Slam tournament she won in 2005.

"It all started with preparing for the gala match at Wimbledon, all pretty laid-back. I liked it that much I was onto my training schedule from my pro days and then the hunger for more comes automatically," Clijsters says. "I am look at this as a second career, not as a comeback as I am now in a situation where not everything evolves around tennis 24 hours a day. We'll see how I, Jada and the others in my environment respond to this."

On 17 May, Clijsters will be playing her first matches, during A Centre Court Celebration, the official opening of the retractable roof at Wimbledon. In June an exhibition match in Rosmalen awaits, followed by two more in the US in July. Kim will take stock after the official tournaments in August.

Ti-Amie
03-26-2009, 06:03 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/60/fullj.cb1e32694d21c2bcf6800bd97cabb02c/cb1e32694d21c2bcf6800bd97cabb02c-getty-tennis-belgium-clijsters.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/84/fullj.4c6fd75ce47fa6d70dca5fcf7f3352b1/4c6fd75ce47fa6d70dca5fcf7f3352b1-getty-tennis-wta-bel-clijsters.jpg

morct
03-26-2009, 06:28 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/60/fullj.cb1e32694d21c2bcf6800bd97cabb02c/cb1e32694d21c2bcf6800bd97cabb02c-getty-tennis-belgium-clijsters.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/84/fullj.4c6fd75ce47fa6d70dca5fcf7f3352b1/4c6fd75ce47fa6d70dca5fcf7f3352b1-getty-tennis-wta-bel-clijsters.jpg

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

aedra1119
03-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Welcome back, Kim!

Moose
03-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Kimmie :)

Today is a good day.

Charlie02123
03-26-2009, 06:37 AM
Exciting!

evil_juju
03-26-2009, 06:42 AM
:)

dryrunguy
03-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Thrilling!

zinfandel
03-26-2009, 06:58 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/84/fullj.4c6fd75ce47fa6d70dca5fcf7f3352b1/4c6fd75ce47fa6d70dca5fcf7f3352b1-getty-tennis-wta-bel-clijsters.jpg[/QUOTE]

it's great news!!!! :)) (but she looks a bit like Princess Fiona post Shrek transfo) (sorry)

Foxykhat
03-26-2009, 07:03 AM

it's great news!!!! :)) (but she looks a bit like Princess Fiona post Shrek transfo) (sorry)[/quote]

ROFL that was her name on TOB. I'm still not sure what to think/feel about the comeback but I guess welcome back Kim, is good way to start.

Foxy

GVGirl
03-26-2009, 07:51 AM
From the TAT News Desk:

Kim Clijsters’ To Make Comeback; First Stop is W&SFG Women’s Open
March 26, 2009

Former World No. 1 Accepts Wildcard into Cincinnati $2 Million Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Premier Event

CINCINNATI – March 26, 2009 – Former world No. 1 Kim Clijsters has announced her return to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour after a 28-month layoff, and her first appearance will be at this summer’s Western & Southern Financial Group Women’s Open in Cincinnati.

Clijsters retired in 2007 after winning the 2005 US Open title and reaching four Grand Slam singles finals – two French Opens (’01 & ’03), the US Open (’03) and the Australian Open (’04). She also won 34 singles titles (including five Tier I events, now known as the Premier level) and 11 doubles titles on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

Clijsters spent 19 weeks at No. 1 and won more than $14 million in prize money. She was the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour’s Newcomer of the Year in 1999, and its Player of the Year in 2005.

Clijsters will accept a wild card into the Cincinnati field which already includes eight of the top 10 players on the year-end world rankings and the reigning champs of all four Grand Slams. Among those expected to compete with Clijsters for the title include Venus & Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Jelena Jankovic, Elena Dementieva and Dinara Safina to mention only a few.

“We’re thrilled for the sport that Clijsters has decided to make a comeback, and we’re thrilled for our fans that she’ll return to the Tour in Cincinnati,” said tournament director Bruce Flory. “Our women’s field for this first year of our upgraded event just keeps getting better and better, and it’s going to make for a very exciting summer of tennis in the Midwest.”

The Cincinnati event was recently upgraded to the Premier level on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour, which means Cincinnati will host the Tour’s third-richest event in the United States, after Miami and Indian Wells. The men’s event, the Western & Southern Financial Masters, is an ATP Masters 1000 event, which means all the top players, including Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray are automatically entered.

Total prize money will be $5 million for the W&SFG Masters & Women’s Open, which will be held August 8-23 at the Lindner Family Tennis Center in Mason.

“The middle weekend, August 15-16, will be unlike anything tennis fans in the Midwest have ever seen,” said Flory. “We’ll have women’s singles and doubles, men’s main-draw doubles, and top players practicing all over the Lindner Family Tennis Center. It’s going to be a blast.”

Tickets are on sale now by calling 513-651-0303 or visiting www.cincytennis.com (http://www.cincytennis.com/). Tickets also are available via TicketMaster at 800-745-3000 or www.ticketmaster.com (http://www.ticketmaster.com/).

Scotty
03-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Welcome back, Kimmer.

I'm sure Moose and morct are over the moon!

GVGirl
03-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Welcome back, Kimmer.

I'm sure Moose and morct are over the moon!

I'll give Moose a week before he starts planning a Cincy tailgate!

rabbit
03-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Very exciting! :)

bea26
03-26-2009, 09:50 AM
“I am not coming back to lose in the first rounds,” she said. “Otherwise, I might as well go on holiday.”

Love it!

verucasalt
03-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Welcome back, Kim. :)

Moose
03-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Filip Dewulf on the return:

"The whole country is upside down," said Belgian Filip Dewulf, a 1997 French Open semifinalist turned tennis journalist. "Even when she was off the tour, she was still considered one of the big stars in Belgium. She has this image of being a perfect Belgian neighbourhood girl. We all hoped she'd come back. It's big."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=ubha_ravi&id=4017424

GVGirl
03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Filip Dewulf on the return:

"The whole country is upside down," said Belgian Filip Dewulf, a 1997 French Open semifinalist turned tennis journalist. "Even when she was off the tour, she was still considered one of the big stars in Belgium. She has this image of being a perfect Belgian neighbourhood girl. We all hoped she'd come back. It's big."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=ubha_ravi&id=4017424

Moose,

I know you MUST be going to Cincy now! If so, what day will you have the "Welcome Back Kim" Tailgate? ;)

Moose
03-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Moose,

I know you MUST be going to Cincy now! If so, what day will you have the "Welcome Back Kim" Tailgate? ;)

I am currently in the process of sending emails to every one of my accounts within a 50 mile radius of Cincinnati, so I can get my company to send me out there for the week of August 10 assess my work duties for August, GV.

GVGirl
03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I am currently in the process of sending emails to every one of my accounts within a 50 mile radius of Cincinnati, so I can get my company to send me out there for the week of August 10 assess my work duties for August, GV.

Hope it works out! Let us know!

Moose
03-26-2009, 11:58 AM
(as if there was any doubt!)

Kim Clijsters Accepts Wildcard for Rogers Cup Toronto

March 26, 2009

Tennis Canada announced Thursday that former Sony Ericsson WTA Tour No. 1 Kim Clijsters of Belgium has accepted a wildcard entry from tournament director Karl Hale to compete in the 2009 Rogers Cup Toronto.

“We are delighted to welcome back one of the greats in women’s tennis,” said Hale. “As a former Rogers Cup champion, Grand Slam titlist and world champion, Kim will be welcomed with great enthusiasm by Canadian tennis fans. Not only is Kim a phenomenal athlete, she is also one of the sweethearts of our game.”

http://www.tenniscanada.ca/tennis_canada/Pub/DisplayNewsStory.aspx?enc=7TT10l+gtcu0U+RSghuIq9NA QVLkVdlnTG6jst+8d11z0Jn1nfHqZ0f42cfFT6cq

bea26
03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
What's the last good news womens tennis has had? This is actually, genuinely exciting. Kim was always my back-up for Lindsay. It's so cool to have someone to fully root for, and not by default.

GVGirl
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
(as if there was any doubt!)

Kim Clijsters Accepts Wildcard for Rogers Cup Toronto

March 26, 2009

Tennis Canada announced Thursday that former Sony Ericsson WTA Tour No. 1 Kim Clijsters of Belgium has accepted a wildcard entry from tournament director Karl Hale to compete in the 2009 Rogers Cup Toronto.

“We are delighted to welcome back one of the greats in women’s tennis,” said Hale. “As a former Rogers Cup champion, Grand Slam titlist and world champion, Kim will be welcomed with great enthusiasm by Canadian tennis fans. Not only is Kim a phenomenal athlete, she is also one of the sweethearts of our game.”

http://www.tenniscanada.ca/tennis_canada/Pub/DisplayNewsStory.aspx?enc=7TT10l+gtcu0U+RSghuIq9NA QVLkVdlnTG6jst+8d11z0Jn1nfHqZ0f42cfFT6cq

I might be in Toronto during that week, I have a relative getting married around that time. Moose, roadtrip to Toronto?

Moose
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
What's the last good news womens tennis has had? This is actually, genuinely exciting. Kim was always my back-up for Lindsay. It's so cool to have someone to fully root for, and not by default.

Amen to that, Bea. While I love the Serbs, and Tatiana brought me some joy, there was no one like Kim in my book. I am so excited about seeing her on court again. And thrilled that she is going to play a WTT match about 10 minutes from my house as a warm up.

bea26
03-26-2009, 12:15 PM
Amen to that, Bea. While I love the Serbs, and Tatiana brought me some joy, there was no one like Kim in my book. I am so excited about seeing her on court again. And thrilled that she is going to play a WTT match about 10 minutes from my house as a warm up.

You're going to need an adult diaper.

I was hoping she'd play Carson, 10 minutes from MY house. The only tournament of hers I went to as a spectator was the '05 YEC, which was a disaster. But she'll be in NY, which is so rad.

Foxykhat
03-26-2009, 12:16 PM

TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! So all those time you were rooting for ...., ....., and .... it was by default?! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

I want that card back, now it's be revoked.:cheesy:

Foxy

bea26
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
TRAITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! So all those time you were rooting for ...., ....., and .... it was by default?! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

I want that card back, now it's be revoked.:cheesy:

Foxy

Wait, what? lol. Who do those ..... represent? Do I need a lawyer?

Foxykhat
03-26-2009, 12:25 PM

Wait, what? lol. Who do those ..... represent? Do I need a lawyer?

That's for me to know and you to find out. And yes you need a lawyer :)

Foxy

igorwright
03-26-2009, 12:26 PM

You two got to the right point! As much as I like Dinara and have some simpathy for Ana and Elena, and choose Serena as the GOAT, there's nothing like root for someone you really love, like I love Martina, Justine, Kim and Amelie. But Kim was always my favourite since Martina's first departure. Now I feel those nervous nights at The Open are coming back!

bea26
03-26-2009, 12:33 PM
That's for me to know and you to find out. And yes you need a lawyer :)

Foxy

In my defense, though not knowing the crimes of which I've been accused, there may be another player or two who will make rooting a little more difficult. Though I'm not naming any names.

b4EKndqm1Yw

Moose
03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Looks like everyone wants her. What's that say about the state of the WTA?

Clijsters' Return May Mean Wild Card for Pilot Pen
March 27, 2009
By Jim Fuller, New Haven Register, Conn.

(Excerpted)
Clijsters, who counts the 2005 U.S. Open as one of her 34 singles titles, was given a wild card into the Cincinnati event in August. Clijsters has also requested wild cards into the Toronto event as well as the U.S. Open. Pilot Pen tournament director Anne Worcester said that Clijsters has not requested a wild card into the New Havenbased event, which is held the week between Toronto and the U.S. Open.

If Clijsters goes deep into the Cincinnati and Toronto draws, it is likely she would take the week before the U.S. Open to rest. However, if she finds herself in need of matches heading into her first appearance at a Grand Slam since the 2007 Australian Open, Pilot Pen officials would not hestitate in giving her one of the three women's singles maindraw wild cards.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/128116910

'Aussie Kim' courted to return to Sydney
Margie McDonald | March 28, 2009

SYDNEY International tournament director Craig Watson has wasted no time trying to lock in the ever-popular Kim Clijsters for next January's tournament.

Barely 24 hours after Clijsters confirmed she would be returning to professional tennis, Watson began planning to tempt the two-time Sydney winner back.

"I'll certainly be talking to her management to make sure Sydney is part of her schedule for 2010," Watson said.

The Belgian champion was given the nickname "Aussie Kim" due to her lengthy relationship with Lleyton Hewitt.

But even after the pair split in September 2004, Clijsters continued to strike a fond chord in Australian tennis fans' hearts.

"We would love to have Kim come back. As everyone knows, we see her as an honorary Australian," Watson said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25252512-2722,00.html

GVGirl
03-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Moose,

Are you going to do the Kimmie roadtrip and attend all these tournaments she's playing?

Moose
03-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Moose,

Are you going to do the Kimmie roadtrip and attend all these tournaments she's playing?

Unlikely, GV. I'll definitely see her in King of Prussia. Cincy's a possibility. The USO, so long as she plays on a day I am there.

patrick
03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Not surprised that she is being courted to play those tournaments posted by Moose. If Kim does play those tournaments, attendance will automatically go up by at least 5-10%.

Ti-Amie
03-27-2009, 04:46 PM
Apparently Kim's husband is giving up his career to support his wife.
The first link is in Dutch. A translation follows.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/Article/Detail.aspx?articleID=GA328BEA7

The husband of comebacking former world number one tennis player Kim Clijsters has decided to quit his lustrous basketball career to be with his wife.

Bryan Lynch, a popular basketball player for Antwerp Giants in Belgium, said that this season will be his last. It was not an easy decision on his end but he knew that this is inevitable. He’ll be joining Kim in her tennis tournaments in the U.S. and Europe later this year with their daughter Jada.

http://tennisguru.net/2009/03/27/kim-clijsters-husband-to-end-basketball-career/

Foxykhat
03-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Apparently Kim's husband is giving up his career to support his wife.
The first link is in Dutch. A translation follows.

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/Article/Detail.aspx?articleID=GA328BEA7

The husband of comebacking former world number one tennis player Kim Clijsters has decided to quit his lustrous basketball career to be with his wife.

Bryan Lynch, a popular basketball player for Antwerp Giants in Belgium, said that this season will be his last. It was not an easy decision on his end but he knew that this is inevitable. He’ll be joining Kim in her tennis tournaments in the U.S. and Europe later this year with their daughter Jada.

http://tennisguru.net/2009/03/27/kim-clijsters-husband-to-end-basketball-career/

WOW, a huge decision good for him. The more I think about it the more, and with a decision like this by Brian, I think this is something Kim's dad requested, that Kim return and settle unfinished business.

Foxy

dryrunguy
03-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Three cheers for Bryan. :overhead_clap::overhead_clap::overhead_clap:

suliso
03-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't think it was a particularly difficult decision except maybe psychologically. After all he was only a "futures level" player...

dryrunguy
03-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't think it was a particularly difficult decision except maybe psychologically. After all he was only a "futures level" player...

Party pooper! I think it's great a guy gave up his career for his woman. Never mind that she probably has more money than God. But that's beside the point. :cheesy:

nelslus
03-27-2009, 10:01 PM
“I am not coming back to lose in the first rounds,” she said. “Otherwise, I might as well go on holiday.”

Love it!

"But once again sucking out any joy and for that matter the very life of hopefully many more Grand Slam finals? NOW you're talkin'!", added Ms. Clijsters. :cheesy:

Moose
03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Individual seats for Kim's WTT appearance here in King of Prussia go on sale tomorrow. I am so stoked. I can't believe that one of the first stops is 10 minutes from my house.

suliso
03-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Moose, do you know if she still has a house on New Jersey shore?

Moose
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Moose, do you know if she still has a house on New Jersey shore?

I don't, but other TATers might know that. Brian's from Jersey, so my guess is they would be spending time in this area regardless, Suliso.

GVGirl
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't, but other TATers might know that. Brian's from Jersey, so my guess is they would be spending time in this area regardless, Suliso.

Yes she still does, in a very wealthy shore community.

GVGirl
03-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Individual seats for Kim's WTT appearance here in King of Prussia go on sale tomorrow. I am so stoked. I can't believe that one of the first stops is 10 minutes from my house.

So Moose, will you starting the line tonight for tickets? (I can see it now, Moose with his sleeping bag in front to the ticket office. :) )