PDA

View Full Version : World Baseball Classic

Martini4me
03-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't know whether anyone else is following this. Canada is currently playing the United States in Toronto, leading 2-1 in the fourth inning. Jake Peavy only lasted three inning for the US, as the Canadian hitters worked him to throw almost 60 pitches in three innings (there's a limit of 70 pitches in the first round games). Canadian pitcher Mike Johnson was very strong in the first, a bit wild in the next two innings, but escaped with only one run against.

In a huge shocker, the Netherlands (only one name I even recgnize on their roster) defeated the very strong Dominican Republic team 3-2 in their first games.

ponchi101
03-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Pretty good article in Yahoo about the chances of this event surviving. I remember 3 years ago when Japan won. It was the only time in Japan's history that people did not go to work because there were celebrating in the streets.
I guess that is what started this world recession ;)
Lets hope we have a really good team play the USA for a sold out game for the championship. And beat them, which would generate a whole lot more support that if Team USA wins. That way the event will continue.

Ti-Amie
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know whether anyone else is following this. Canada is currently playing the United States in Toronto, leading 2-1 in the fourth inning. Jake Peavy only lasted three inning for the US, as the Canadian hitters worked him to throw almost 60 pitches in three innings (there's a limit of 70 pitches in the first round games). Canadian pitcher Mike Johnson was very strong in the first, a bit wild in the next two innings, but escaped with only one run against.

In a huge shocker, the Netherlands (only one name I even recgnize on their roster) defeated the very strong Dominican Republic team 3-2 in their first games.

You mean the Dominican team that boasts the grossly overpaid and overrated Alex Rodriguez lost to a team from that hotbed of baseball fever The Netherlands? :p

I enjoyed the WBC last year.

patrick
03-07-2009, 07:49 PM
You mean the Dominican team that boasts the grossly overpaid and overrated Alex Rodriguez lost to a team from that hotbed of baseball fever The Netherlands? :p

I enjoyed the WBC last year.

That one that have David Ortiz and Miguel Tejada also.

oohsalmon
03-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Netherlands has a lot of holdings in the Caribbean, I'm guessing that's where their team comes from.

Ti-Amie
03-08-2009, 04:59 AM
Netherlands has a lot of holdings in the Caribbean, I'm guessing that's where their team comes from.

Looks that way. The highlights I saw featured very sloppy play from the Dominican team.