PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys release WR Terrell Owens

Kirkus
03-04-2009, 11:07 PM
(CNN) -- Terrell Owens, a former San Francisco 49er and a former Philadelphia Eagle, is now a former Dallas Cowboy. The Cowboys released wide receiver Terrell Owens late Wednesday, according to published reports.

Questions surrounding the future of the controversial wide receiver have swirled since the Cowboys' season ended with a 44-6 loss at Philadelphia that kept Dallas out of the playoffs.

Owner Jerry Jones had said in recent weeks that he had not decided whether to keep or release Owens. In early February, Jones struck down an ESPN report that Jones' son, Stephen, who is the team's vice president, was lobbying his father to cut the wide receiver.

Owens signed a three-year, $25 million contract with Dallas in March 2006. He signed a new four-year, $34 million deal that included a $12 million signing bonus, in June 2008.

Owens (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/terrell_owens) finished the 2008 season with 1,058 yards and 10 touchdowns.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/05/cowboys.owens/index.html

Can I just say I think this is crap?

I think this is crap.

Ti-Amie
03-04-2009, 11:45 PM
T.O. is not who they should've released.

patrick
03-05-2009, 04:28 AM
T.O. is not who they should've released.

Who should have been released instead?

patrick
03-05-2009, 04:31 AM
Owens probably caused a lot of chemistry problems. He has been very productive on the field but look at why the 49ers and Eagles released him. Owens/Witten debacle toward the end of the season along with them missing the playoffs were probably the last straw for Owens. Also, the Cowboys did trade for a big time receiver in Roy Williams from the Lions.

Moose
03-05-2009, 05:42 AM
Owens was a nightmare here in Philly. So far from a team player. He publicly lambasted his teammates, caused friction between everyone, and blew what was a tremendous amount of good will, all in one season. As good a player as he was here, pretty much everyone was relieved when he left town.

And we were even happier when he signed with Dallas, because we all knew that no matter how good he played there, he was going to drag his teammates down his "O-hole", and that our arch-enemies, the Cowboys, were doomed so long as he was on their team.

I'm only sorry he was released because now the Cowboys might actually have a chance to become a team again, instead of 50 egos gathered together every weekend.

Moose
03-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Owens probably caused a lot of chemistry problems.

Owens implied that Garcia liked guys when they were both on the 49ers. Owens publicly disparaged McNabb, saying that the Eagles would be better off with Favre as their quarterback (which led to Donovan's famous "black on black crime" statement), and got into altercations in the locker room with other Eagles. He went ballistic on Romo and Tony Witten, his teammates in Dallas, and again got into altercations - supposedly a big one with Witten. Wade Phillips even had to admit in public that he was dealing with a divided locker room.

patrick
03-05-2009, 05:58 AM
Moose,
Remember the "rat" comment on Garcia, McNabb playing "sick" while TO came back earlier than expected to play in Super Bowl. Just imagine if the Eagles would have won the Super Bowl, T.O. ego would have been extra big.

Moose
03-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Moose,
Remember the "rat" comment on Garcia, McNabb playing "sick" while TO came back earlier than expected to play in Super Bowl. Just imagine if the Eagles would have won the Super Bowl, T.O. ego would have been extra big.

He's been a poison to every team he has ever played for. I don't blame the Cowboys one iota for releasing him. I only hope the Giants or Redskins pick him up, so we can still have his unique brand of ruining team chemistry remain in the NFC East.

dryrunguy
03-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Why can't he just go away? Period? TO exemplifies every negative stereotype of NFL athletes.

ptmcmahon
03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Because he's consistently been one of the top 2-3 receivers in the league. Talent like that always gets second and third chances. (see Randy Moss.)

I say it's a good move for the Cowboys. They're good enough without him, Roy Williams and Jason Witten should be able to handle the load better now. Think it's addition by subtraction.

mrjiggyfly2
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Because he's consistently been one of the top 2-3 receivers in the league. Talent like that always gets second and third chances. (see Randy Moss.)

I say it's a good move for the Cowboys. They're good enough without him, Roy Williams and Jason Witten should be able to handle the load better now. Think it's addition by subtraction.

I think TO's at the Oakland or nowhere stage of his career.

dryrunguy
03-05-2009, 08:39 AM

Don't forget the Browns. :wall::wall::wall:

ptmcmahon
03-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Another rumor is Washington...known to favor flashy signings, and would have 2 chances at revenge on the Cowboys a year. We all know he holds a grudge.

Moose
03-05-2009, 08:42 AM

I thought Denver also. They've never been averse to taking on a project, though with Shanahan gone, I'm not sure if that will still be the case.

mrjiggyfly2
03-05-2009, 08:46 AM
I thought Denver also. They've never been averse to taking on a project, though with Shanahan gone, I'm not sure if that will still be the case.

I'd be surprised if Belichik disciple, Josh McDaniels, takes TO on. I know that Moss has been a big success with the Pats. But Moss has never reached the levels of team ruining and self centeredness that TO has.

shtexas
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Owens may have been poison for teams prior to Dallas, but he's not the main problem here. Jerry Jones is the biggest problem. He was humiliated enough by three 5-11 seasons in a row to finally hire a real coach in Bill Parcells. Then, once it appeared the team was close to built, he chased away Parcells by insisting on Owens, then turned it over to another puppet head coach the following season. That is the real problem. Owens was just a symptom.

We will never have a real head coach until Jerry allows us to have one. We want Cower. No way he would come here.

Moose
03-05-2009, 08:52 AM

I think he's more in the Keyshawn Johnson mold than the Randy Moss. Owens has never had the criminal issues that dogged Moss, and made him anathema to some teams. He's more of a "Gimme The Damn Ball" type.

Togtdyalttai
03-05-2009, 09:03 AM
I doubt any team will want to pay TO the kind of money that he wants. I hope for all the world that he's finally out of the NFL for good. I root against all the teams that he's on.

Ti-Amie
03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Shtexas beat me to it. The problems at Dallas go deeper than TO. He is not a team player, it's all about him all the time, and the less said about his comments the better.
Still with all that he's still got it. Whatever they're doing up in Boston Moss seems to have calmed down or kept his ways in check. That's what I thought TO was doing in Dallas.

I've been a Dallas fan since forever and IMO other than the coaching issues Shtexas cited I don't think Romo is all that. He is not a Dallas Cowboy QB. Maybe with staff changes he'll do better but I don't think so.

amenssen
03-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Shtexas beat me to it. The problems at Dallas go deeper than TO. He is not a team player, it's all about him all the time, and the less said about his comments the better.
Still with all that he's still got it. Whatever they're doing up in Boston Moss seems to have calmed down or kept his ways in check. That's what I thought TO was doing in Dallas.

I've been a Dallas fan since forever and IMO other than the coaching issues Shtexas cited I don't think Romo is all that. He is not a Dallas Cowboy QB. Maybe with staff changes he'll do better but I don't think so.

They're winning is what they are doing, that seems to be the cure all. The problems with Moss didn't start till we (the Vikings) started losing, then he went to Oakland and lost and moped. When he is on a winning team he doesn't seem to have tons of problems

Kirkus
03-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Owens may have been poison for teams prior to Dallas, but he's not the main problem here. Jerry Jones is the biggest problem. He was humiliated enough by three 5-11 seasons in a row to finally hire a real coach in Bill Parcells. Then, once it appeared the team was close to built, he chased away Parcells by insisting on Owens, then turned it over to another puppet head coach the following season. That is the real problem. Owens was just a symptom.

We will never have a real head coach until Jerry allows us to have one. We want Cower. No way he would come here.

Bingo!

Jerry Jones has been the de facto head coach since Jimmy Johnson left. Until Jones starts acting like an owner instead of a head coach, the Cowboys don't stand a chance. You'd think he'd see that.

I think it takes two to tango, and T.O. had come down to earth quite a bit since his "suicide attempt." Personally, I think Romo's ego is just as large and immovable as Owens', if not bigger.

patrick
03-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Bingo!

Jerry Jones has been the de facto head coach since Jimmy Johnson left. Until Jones starts acting like an owner instead of a head coach, the Cowboys don't stand a chance. You'd think he'd see that.

I think it takes two to tango, and T.O. had come down to earth quite a bit since his "suicide attempt." Personally, I think Romo's ego is just as large and immovable as Owens', if not bigger.

Are we talking about Favre II who was with Jessica Simpson and Carrie Underwood? Also, did TO let his PR lady go after the "suicide" issue?

Kirkus
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
TO had a PR lady? ;)

patrick
03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
TO had a PR lady? ;)

:yes:

Kirkus
03-05-2009, 05:08 PM
TO had a PR lady? ;)

:yes:

LOL. Well, she didn't earn her money.