PDA

View Full Version : Comments on YOU CAN'T WIN JACK contest

ponchi101
02-08-2009, 12:21 AM
Before anything else, let me just point out that I love that contest. It is hilarious, the comments posted are usually outrageous, and the suffering/joy it provides is almost as good as the SP.
However, during the last YCWJ contest, there were some posts about the structure. Somebody pointed out that a bad start pretty much doomed you from the beginning. Somebody else asked whether there should be some sort of bonus for the people that would actually predict one or both wooden spoons.
One problem I see is the structure of points given. For example: lets say that there are two contestants. One guesses both wooden spoons, but she lists them as her number 4 choices. Another person does not guess either wooden spoon, but she chooses 8 losers for the first round, after which they all win the second round. Therefore, the person that guessed both wooden spoons gets 14 points (because they were her number 4 picks, so it is 2 points per round) but the other person gets 20 points, because she got the maximum 10 points per tour in one single round.
That is a theoretical example. What I would like to ask is whether we believe there should be some changes to the format so that people are not so out of the running in such few rounds.

oohsalmon
02-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I would agree that the scoring needs to be reworked. I think an easy way to do this would be to have the points go up for each round. Say 1 point for the R1, 2 for R2, 3 for R3, and so on...

I also think there needs to be a BIG bonus for picking the actual wooden spoon winner, as that is the goal of the contest...

ptmcmahon
02-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I think changing the scoring could help a bit - at the very least some bonus for picking the actual wooden spoon winner. (you can see me suggesting this before winding up with the men's wooden spoon winner.) Increasing scoring per round is an interesting idea too.

If it doesn't change, I'd still play and love it though.

mrjiggyfly2
02-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Good points guys. I hear you. While I can't say that changes will definitely be made going forward, I can assure you that your suggestions will be discussed among the contest staff before the French Open.
Thanks. :)

ponchi101
02-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Perhaps also treat all selections equally. If your 1-2 choices are alive (dead?) and somebody else is also alive but with her 3-4 choices, she will never catch up with you after round three. Maybe just counting how many choices you still have, giving you 4 points for one, three more for the second and so on could have more even scores.

mrjiggyfly2
02-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Perhaps also treat all selections equally. If your 1-2 choices are alive (dead?) and somebody else is also alive but with her 3-4 choices, she will never catch up with you after round three. Maybe just counting how many choices you still have, giving you 4 points for one, three more for the second and so on could have more even scores.

Point taken

ponchi101
05-18-2009, 02:57 AM
I am only reviving this thread because I hope we have a CWJS, but I want to know if we are keeping the same structure or we are going to revise it a little bit.
Thanks.

mrjiggyfly2
05-18-2009, 06:21 AM
I am only reviving this thread because I hope we have a CWJS, but I want to know if we are keeping the same structure or we are going to revise it a little bit.
Thanks.

Thanks for the revival. I promise I didn't forget. For now, we're going to keep the status quo. The main reason for not changing the contest is that Jack is the inventor of the contest as far as TAT is concerned. Jack hasn't left TAT, he's just on an extended LOA. We're not comfortable with altering the contest in his absence.

Again, I certainly understand wanting to change it up a bit to keep more people alive.
But the paticipants in the contest are going to have to keep the dream alive on their own by making the right choices.

ponchi101
05-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Can't we call it You Can't Win mrjiggyfly2 Sh..? ;)
Understood. I agree that we should not change it without Jack's opinions. Will wait for his return.

ptmcmahon
05-21-2009, 08:01 PM
So we are still having it though right? (with same rules of course.)

dryrunguy
05-21-2009, 08:07 PM
So we are still having it though right? (with same rules of course.)

Yes!

mrjiggyfly2
05-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Can't we call it You Can't Win mrjiggyfly2 Sh..? ;)
Understood. I agree that we should not change it without Jack's opinions. Will wait for his return.

I'd like to you do well here. Make it happen.