PDA

View Full Version : 2009 AO You Can't Win Jack: How it works

dryrunguy
01-12-2009, 05:35 PM
You Can’t Win Jack Contest - 2009 Australian Open

Important Announcement: Beginning with the 2009 Australian Open, "You Can't Win Jack" will be a medal-awarding contest for the first-place winner(s) only.

Anyone can pick the men’s and women’s singles winners of the 2009 Australian Open, but it takes real talent to spot the ultimate LOSER of the event. The Wooden Spoon Award goes to the last place finisher of a competition – in tennis terms, it’s the player whose conqueror loses in the next round, whose conqueror loses in the next round, whose conqueror loses in the next round, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_spoon_%28award%29

At the 2008 U.S. Open, Lucie "BugEye" Safarova was the biggest loser for the women. She lost in R1 to Sorana Cirstea, who lost in R2 to Svetlana Kuznetsova, who lost in R3 to Katarina Srebotnik, who list in R4 to Patty Schnyder, who lost in the quarters to Elena Dementieva, who lost in the semis to Jelena Jankovic, who lost in the final to Serena Williams.

Not to be outdone, Brendan "I can't even beat a lucky loser" Evans was the biggest loser for the men. He lost in R1 to Andrey Golubev, who lost in R2 to David Nalbandian, who lost in R3 to Gael Monfils, who lost in R4 to Mardy Fish, who lost in the quarters to Rafael Nadal, who lost in the semis to Andy Murray, who lost in the final to Roger Federer.

That's how Lucie Safarova and Brendan Evans captured the boobie prizes in TAT YCWJ tennis at the U.S. Open!

ENTRY: To enter 2009 Australian Open "You Can't Win Jack" contest, pick the names of four men’s singles contestants and four women’s singles contestants who you think are the most likely to finish in “last place” in their respective draws. Rank those players 1-4, with #1 being your most likely to finish “last”.

These picks carry through the rest of the tournament. So if your picks lose in the first round – and you hope they do! – the players who beat your picks become your new selections in the 2R, and so on, until the finals (if you’re lucky…).

SCORING: For each round that one of your entries remains in the running, you earn a point. Bonus points are earned based on your selected rank of your four picks. You get a multiplier for bonus points – your number 1 pick gets a bonus of (x4), #2 pick gets a bonus of (x3), #3 pick gets a bonus of (x2) and #4 pick gets a bonus of (x1).

EXAMPLE: Using the 2008 U.S. Open as an example, let’s say Ryler DeHeart was my #1 pick in the Wooden Spoon contest. Since he won in the 1R, I get no points. But Donald Young was my #2 pick, and he lost to James Blake. So I get a point for Young's loss, and Blake automatically becomes my 2R pick. As my #2 pick, any points I earned from Young - and from Blake in the next round, etc. - get multiplied by (x3).

HINTS:
* To make it easy on yourself, fill out a full drawsheet, then trace backwards through the draw to find your ultimate losers!

* It’s not enough to pick players who you think will lose first round, because you'll need the winner of the match to lose in the next round.

Entries are due before the start of main draw play in Melbourne.

The Melbourne draw will be announced Thursday, January 15.

Good Luck to all entrants!