PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's BS Contest: How it Works and ?s

Charlie02123
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Welcome to Charlie's Best Slam (BS) Contest!

Are you ready for a new kind of prediction predicament?
Are you salivating to show off your psychic skills?
Are you wishing for a time waster?
Are you itching to impress with your intellect?

Then Charlie's BS Contest is for you!

The players are the top ten on the ATP and WTA side.
The question is simple.
What will their best slam result be?

For each player in the top ten, your job is to predict the farthest round a player will reach in a slam in 2009, and where it will be. On the ATP side, you'll predict from Nadal all the way down to Blake. On the WTA side, you'll choose for Jankovic all the way to Radwanska.

The scoring is easy. You get one point if you chose the correct slam (if a player has a tie for best slam, they all count (both Roland Garros and Wimbledon would have been correct for Nadal this year)). You get one point if you choose the correct round. You get one bonus point (or three points total) if you get both correct for the same player.

To illustrate, we'll look at potential guess for this year, 2008, and score them.

1) Henin- W, Roland Garros - Zero Points
2) Kuznetsova- QF, Roland Garros - One Point (slam)
3) Jankovic- F, Roland Garros - One Point (round)
4) Ivanovic- SF, Wimbledon - Zero Points
5) Sharapova- W, US Open - One Point (round)
6) Chakvetadze- SF, Australian - Zero Points
7) Serena- W, Australian - One Point (round)
8) Venus- W, Wimbledon - Three Points (both!)
9) Hantuchova- QF, US Open - Zero Points
10) Bartoli- QF, Wimbledon - Zero Points

Total: Seven points

It's harder than it looks! This was a bit of a kooky year, though.

Enjoy! I think this is a contest where you can put in a lot of research if you'd like, but also do it off the top of your head. I can answer any questions in this thread.

There will be two seperate threads for picks: one for WTA and one for ATP. There will be three winners at the end of the year: one WTA, one ATP, and one combined.

Get ready for a whole lot of BS! :p

Scotty
12-04-2008, 03:48 PM
First BS question!

What's the deadline for this? end of '08/before first match played at AO '09?

Charlie02123
12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
First BS question!

What's the deadline for this? end of '08/before first match played at AO '09?
Crap! I thought I had put that in there.

The deadline is January 5th. I thought about having it be before any matches at all start, but that's crazy early.

Scotty
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Crap! I thought I had put that in there.

The deadline is January 5th. I thought about having it be before any matches at all start, but that's crazy early.

Thanks for the quick BS answer!

dryrunguy
12-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I just remembered that one of the events the first week of the year has a Sunday start; that's January 4. Not a big deal. But figured I'd point that out. Sorry, Charlie. I just remembered.

Charlie02123
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
I just remembered that one of the events the first week of the year has a Sunday start; that's January 4. Not a big deal. But figured I'd point that out. Sorry, Charlie. I just remembered.
I knew that! I chose Jan 5th on purpose. I didn't think it would make a huge difference in picks, but I thought it might help out a few people when that time comes around.

So I'm stickin' to it! :)

tinamarie
12-04-2008, 04:57 PM
what are the tiebreak -questions, Charlie?

GREAT contest:)

dryrunguy
12-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I knew that! I chose Jan 5th on purpose. I didn't think it would make a huge difference in picks, but I thought it might help out a few people when that time comes around.

So I'm stickin' to it! :)

And THAT is YOUR prerogative! :cheesy:

Charlie02123
12-04-2008, 05:04 PM
what are the tiebreak -questions, Charlie?

GREAT contest:)
I just finished choosing the tiebreakers. I just wanted two players outside the top ten who would be a little tricky to choose. The players I picked on each side don't have a specific slam that they do great at. They also have some potential to go really deep, but might never make it past the third round.

(On the ATP side, the two TBs are Verdasco and Cilic. On the WTA side, the TBs are Azarenka and Na Li.)
Thank you! :o:o:o

Charlie02123
12-04-2008, 05:05 PM
And THAT is YOUR prerogative! :cheesy:
I love that song.

"People always askin'..." ;)

evil_juju
12-04-2008, 05:45 PM
this is awesome! thank god i have till Jan. to figure it out!!

amenssen
12-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Great contest idea

i'm assuming that if someone has the same results at two or more slams, you would get credit for either

Charlie02123
12-05-2008, 01:39 AM
Great contest idea

i'm assuming that if someone has the same results at two or more slams, you would get credit for either
Yup!

Miles
12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Charlie,

Can you pick the same slam result for more than one player? For example, can you pick both Fed and Nadal to win Wimbledon or does each pick have to be unique?

Charlie02123
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Charlie,

Can you pick the same slam result for more than one player? For example, can you pick both Fed and Nadal to win Wimbledon or does each pick have to be unique?
Hmm. That's an interesting strategy. I'm going to go ahead and allow it. I avoided it in my picks, but I won't ban it.

Go ahead!

ptmcmahon
01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Might be a viable strategy with the WTA unpredictability - pick everyone to have a best result of winning. At least then you'll get all the winners right (events...not so much probably.)