PDA

View Full Version : Rafa for Sportsman of the Year?

amenssen
11-20-2008, 10:55 AM
I was on Sports Illustrated's website today and they have all of their writers nominate someone for "Sportsman of the Year", the one for today was by Wertheim and he nominated Nadal. I'm curious to know what you guys think. Personally I think Phelps will, and should, win. Any opinions?

link for the article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/magazine/specials/sportsman/2008/10/31/wertheim.nadal/index.html

Moose
11-20-2008, 10:57 AM
He won't win. But I'm chuckling over the imagined noises coming from the House of Federer if he did.

oohsalmon
11-20-2008, 11:00 AM
No way any tennis player wins this year.

Actually, no way anyone but Michael Phelps wins.

Foxykhat
11-20-2008, 11:05 AM
He won't win. But I'm chuckling over the imagined noises coming from the House of Federer if he did.

At first I thought you were talking about player of the year and wondered why the House of Federer would have issue. Now I see where you are coming from, and probably still would not have an issue if he won.

Agreed.

Foxy

Ti-Amie
11-20-2008, 11:07 AM
But Rafa should get the nom from tennis. Not that he'll win this year but he should get it.

Moose
11-20-2008, 11:14 AM
I was on Sports Illustrated's website today and they have all of their writers nominate someone for "Sportsman of the Year", the one for today was by Wertheim and he nominated Nadal.

Just an aside...Wertheim is writing a book on the Wimbledon final. Personally, I can't wait.

amenssen
11-20-2008, 11:18 AM

Wetheim agrees at least based on this quote from an article of his before the U.S. Open when somebody asked. i just remembered it and looked it up.

I'll take the bait. Nadal could win the U.S. Open in twenty-one golden sets while performing life-saving CPR during the changeovers and solving the global energy crisis on his off days. And still Phelps gets Sportsman of the Year. That's just reality.

suliso
11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Do they have to nominate someone from tennis? Compared to Roger's best season, Rafa's was nothing special...

Of course Phelps will win...

craighickman
11-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Do they have to nominate someone from tennis? Compared to Roger's best season, Rafa's was nothing special...

Nothing special at all about the Roland Garros/Wimbledon double.

Vlad
11-20-2008, 11:55 AM

That was impressive, but still 3>2.

amenssen
11-20-2008, 12:07 PM

Of course Phelps will win...

No but the writers tend to stick with their sport. Werthheim has nominated Fed for like the last 4 years or so

suliso
11-20-2008, 12:07 PM

He only reached 2 GS finals and didn't win MC either. Roger has had at least 2 superior seasons...

Vlad
11-20-2008, 12:14 PM
He only reached 2 GS finals and didn't win MC either. Roger has had at least 2 superior seasons...

2004, 2006, 2007.

I could even make a case for 2005 even though he won "only" 2 slams that year.

Moose
11-20-2008, 12:30 PM

and at Wimbledon Rafa won what many are calling the greatest match in the history of the sport.

suliso
11-20-2008, 12:31 PM
and at Wimbledon Rafa won what many are calling the greatest match in the history of the sport.

And it makes him better than Phelps, how? ;)

Moose
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
And it makes him better than Phelps, how? ;)

I don't have a problem with Phelps being named Athlete of the Year, Suliso. I was merely pointing out why Rafa's accomplishment this season matters, especially when considered against Rogers in the last few years.

Incidentally, in 2005, there were two nominees from tennis. Roger and Kim. And Kim wasn't nominated by Wertheim, she was nominated by another female sportswriter on the SI staff.

snapdragon
11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Or winning the Olympic gold medal.

oohsalmon
11-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Or winning the Olympic gold medal.

Or defeating the juggernaut that was Ryler de Heart at the US Open.

missinandre
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM

Does 2008 Sportsman of the year for Rafa depend on what Rafael achieved in 2008, or depend on....past seasons when Fed was "da man" ? :(

I think Rafa had an AWESOME year...

Of course there's nothing awesome or special about dethroning the man many believe is or headed towards being the GOAT......

GVGirl
11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Phelps wins. Even if Rafa had won the golden slam Phelps wins.

mysterX
11-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Agree with Phelps winning. If there was second place, Usain Bolt would get it.